Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlie Kirk (p56 - left by mutual consent)

Comments

• Options
    Gribbo said:
    Good work by Andy Scott. 

An expensive mistake by Charlton but at least he can go back up North and hopefully his partner can get her hairdressing clients back !
    Kirk was a light weight the whole time he was here. 

Who decided after watching Crewe that Charlie was not only worth signing ? but 4 years !

If it was Steve Gallen's recommendation then he made a terrible decision. Did Kirk ever make a challenge  ? Did he ever dribble pass any one ?  Did he ever look interested?
    I even saw him go down injured with a slight knock  in the warm up at the valley and Pearce gave him such a dirty look.

Charlie Kirk's gone and with some more counselling for Charlton fans, hopefully forgotten.
    Is it? Good work would be being able to shift him onto someone else for free in the window. 

Paying him off is basically a last resort play that anyone could do. 
    Pretty sure he was offered to anyone and everyone last window with obvious little to no interest. Do we even know he was paid off?
    No, he waived all contractual payments and happily walked away with nothing.
  • Options
    His League stats for his time with us were:

Season 21-22   Avg Mark: 4.78 Started: 403mins Sub: 92 mins Fouls: 2 Yellow: 1 Shots on: 1 Shots blocked: 1 Shots missed: 3 Goals: 0 Assists: 0
                22-23                   5.85             1154              166                   5             0                4                        6                        6            3             5
                23-24                    n/a                 n/a             41                     0             0                0                        0                         0           0            0
  • Options
    His whole approach from the moment he arrived was inexplicably unprofessional.
    Much has been said about the loss of his father but I’d hasten to add that a large percentage of Charlton Lifers have lost a much loved parent or two and whereas initial grief can severely influence your life, you just have to put it behind you as best you can and simply get on with things…..especially if you have a young family to raise.
    It will remain a mystery as to why he was such shyte, not just on the odd occasion but perpetually, did anyone ever see him have what could be described as a good game?
    He was given more chances than one cares to remember but never once took one of them……even when twice out on loan!
    Yes, inexplicable to say the least?
  • Options
    Glad to see him go and free up some January space in the squad, hope this proves to be a springboard for him rather than a gangplank.
  • Options
    If you want a laugh (or cry), just look at the reactions to his signing for us from page 1 of this thread.

• Options
    if we sign a contract for a car, a phone, a house, is the other party going to rip up that contract if we can't pay?  'A contract is a contract,' said Alan Simonsen as he walked out of the Valley. The club weighed the risk in giving him a 4 year contract. The club has to honour that decision.
  • Options
    if we sign a contract for a car, a phone, a house, is the other party going to rip up that contract if we can't pay?  'A contract is a contract,' said Alan Simonsen as he walked out of the Valley. The club weighed the risk in giving him a 4 year contract. The club has to honour that decision.
    Right, but if both parties agree to a termination (with a mutually agreed payment to compensate some or all of the remaining contract term) then I don’t see an issue. 
  • Options
    If you want a laugh (or cry), just look at the reactions to his signing for us from page 1 of this thread.

I have, sad (now)  and hilarious comments in equal measure on page one, hindsight is a wonderful thing, the comment about DJ, Kirk and Stockley being championship quality, made me laugh.
  • Options
    Good work by Andy Scott. 

An expensive mistake by Charlton but at least he can go back up North and hopefully his partner can get her hairdressing clients back !

Who decided after watching Crewe that Charlie was not only worth signing ? but 4 years !

If it was Steve Gallen's recommendation then he made a terrible decision. Did Kirk ever make a challenge  ? Did he ever dribble pass any one ?  Did he ever look interested?
    I even saw him go down injured with a slight knock  in the warm up at the valley and Pearce gave him such a dirty look.

Charlie Kirk's gone and with some more counselling for Charlton fans, hopefully forgotten.
    Is it? Good work would be being able to shift him onto someone else for free in the window. 

Depends on the settlement agreed really. No-one is taking Kirk for a fee or for anything like his current contract. He did okish at Blackpool but not well enough for them to take him back for a fee and he was a washout at Burton. Most recently he's been unable to get into a very average Charlton team and made an absolute show of himself against a 8th division team that he was banished from ever playing for us again. His last decent performance at any level is getting further and further away. He's a high earner and he's not going to take a big pay cut to go elsewhere when he looks like he'd quite happily not bother running for the rest of his life. He's only on the decline and he'll not get another contract like his Charlton one unless something radically changes and I don't think anyone expects that will happen. If Scott has got us to pay off the entire contract then it's maybe not the best move, but if he's managed to negotiate a settlement where we're paying substantially less in one go than we would across Kirk's remaining contract then frankly he's played a blinder. We won't ever know though,
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    wmcf123 said:
    se9addick said:
    All that being said, I do hope for the sake of his own well being that he goes on to find happier times elsewhere.
    I think that goes without saying .

Beyond that Lepoint / Polish Pete types , who could barely justify being called a pro, I’m struggling to think of a worse pound for pound signing 
    Pound for pound and Simon Walton has to be in the mix 
    Walton was mustard in pre season and disappeared .  Kirk hasn’t been any kind of condiment 
  • Options
    Can see him dropping down to non league - at best league 2, earning about £1k a week.  
  • Options
    Always looked like he was about to do something, but never did. So long
  • Options
    It will be very interesting to see if his career takes off again after a disasterous 30 months for both parties.
  • Options
    He’s taken a lot of stick on here as if he wasn’t trying or didn’t give a sh*t about his performance level. 
    But no professional footballer wants to fail. His future looked quite rosy before he joined us. And now it looks bleak. Can’t help feeling sympathy for him. Hope he can rekindle his career somehow. 
    One positive was that he made me realise what an asset CBT is to the club. 
  • Options
    He played under five different managers. That's five opportunities for a fresh start and five failures. I don't think he can feel hard done by. I quite liked him going forwards and he had nice technique, but can't have any time for players putting in a token effort. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    He’s taken a lot of stick on here as if he wasn’t trying or didn’t give a sh*t about his performance level. 
    But no professional footballer wants to fail. His future looked quite rosy before he joined us. And now it looks bleak. Can’t help feeling sympathy for him. Hope he can rekindle his career somehow. 

There are plenty of examples of footballers who have lost interest in the game for any numerous reasons and put no effort in. Starting with Winston Bogarde but plenty more since.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    He played under five different managers. That's five opportunities for a fresh start and five failures. I don't think he can feel hard done by. I quite liked him going forwards and he had nice technique, but can't have any time for players putting in a token effort. 
    So you think he’s deliberately scuttled his own career by putting in a token effort, so that he can play at a lower level for less money? I can’t get my head around why he’d do that. It doesn’t make sense. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    It's very hard to shake the impression that that was exactly the case though. I have sympathy for his personal circumstances of course but when he did play he looked barely interested and for someone of his talent to feature so rarely (under different coaches, none of which seem have rated him) can't have been that impressive in training either.

The overall conclusion has to be that he's coasted and done the absolute bare minimum. And maybe that's because of his mental health or his situation or something else but sorry to say he's been a "professional" only in the most technical sense IMO.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2023
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Kirk is nowhere near the worst signings list when we've had the likes of Lepoint and Bergdich under Roland or Marcus Bent. Some deals just don't work out 

To be fair to Marcus (who I was not a huge fan of) I do remember him scoring at Stamford Bridge to earn us a point at top of the table Chelsea in the Premiership...

...racking my brains to think what the most comparible 'Charlie Kirk at Charlton' moment was to that.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Good work by Andy Scott. 

Pretty sure he was offered to anyone and everyone last window with obvious little to no interest. Do we even know he was paid off?
    No, he waived all contractual payments and happily walked away with nothing.
    Okay mate, you obviously know for a fact that this was all initiated by the Club. I was just keeping an open mind that the player might've wanted away and come to a mutual agreement with the Club that he walks away from his commitment, for no or minimal compensation. NOT SAYING THIS IS THE CASE, JUST ASKING THE QUESTION.

Keep forgetting that the general MO of most on this forum is to c**t the Club's management off at every available opportunity.
  • Options
    Melrose said:
    There's a very simple reason he failed at Charlton and wasn't wanted anywhere else. HE IS A VERY POOR FOOTBALLER. No pace, no strength, can't beat a player, can't cover back, can't tackle, can't head a ball........... The only mysteries to me are how the hell he did well at Crewe, and who the f---k scouted him and thought he was remotely any good. 
    Always thought from the youtube video of his goals at Crewe, that he didn't look that impressive at all.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    JamesSeed said:
    So against CVPM at The Valley, he went up for a header, there was minimal contact and he fell to the turf and stayed there. CVPM broke down the pitch and nearly scored.
    Even then he remained prostrate.
    Eventually he stood up after everyone ignored him.
    Do you think that is a player giving maximum effort?

I saw him in one of the BSM Cup games at The Valley a few months ago.
    He did not appear to have taken a knock and was "running/jogging" freely.
    I saw him ask to be subbed off.
    Maximum effort?
    I've never seen a professional player do that before.

• Options
    Melrose said:
    There's a very simple reason he failed at Charlton and wasn't wanted anywhere else. HE IS A VERY POOR FOOTBALLER. No pace, no strength, can't beat a player, can't cover back, can't tackle, can't head a ball........... The only mysteries to me are how the hell he did well at Crewe, and who the f---k scouted him and thought he was remotely any good. 
    Always thought from the youtube video of his goals at Crewe, that he didn't look that impressive at all.
    Well you were right Balham Red. Fancy the scouting job :smile:
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    JamesSeed said:

There are plenty of examples of footballers who have lost interest in the game for any numerous reasons and put no effort in. Starting with Winston Bogarde but plenty more since.
    It's amazing how quickly Marcus Maddison has been forgotten.
    Who is going to be the first person to suggest we start a go fund me for Kirk? 
    I’ll chip in if it’s for his barnet