Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

We have a relegation goalkeeper

actually I don't think we do but I wanted to keep some continuity with thread titles !!

However, I have been very unimpressed with what I have seen so far. He is making far too many mistakes, he could have done better with a couple of goals against, nearly gave away a goal to Bannan, and his kicking is shocking. I wasn't a big Amos fan and thought MacGillvray was going to be a upgrade but so far it doesn't look to be the case. Not writing him off yet, it's only been four games, but he needs to improve fast.

Comments

• Options
    Shockingly bad. Can't see any positives from his game so far. 

Need a good number 2 ASAP. 
  • Options
    He was Portsmouth's POTY last season so he can't be that bad. 
    a) maybe the rest of them were shit b) we can only judge on his performances for Charlton
  • Options
    a) maybe the rest of them were shit b) we can only judge on his performances for Charlton
    They had the divisions 8th best defensive record.

Anyway..........point being he's making mistakes for us, but clearly wasn't for them. 
  • Options
    He's not started well but he was POTY last year at Portsmouth so there's a decent keeper in there somewhere.

He's not been done many favours by the players in front of him either - not to excuse his errors but he's not alone in that.
  • Options
    One thing I've been concerned with is how quiet he is for a keeper. Some of the balls our defence have let through would send most keepers berserk. But there seems to be very little communication between the back line and the keeper. And there seems to be poor communication between the two centre backs at the moment too.

Luckily that is something that can be improved over time. But it needs to happen quickly. 
  • Options
    What do your eyes tell you?
    Mine tell me that he isn't very good. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2021
    needs help from a pretty shaky and ill fitting defence in front.

However his positioning, aerial ability and distribution leave a lot to be desired at the moment but surely he can't be all that bad after a decent spell at Portsmouth?? (POTY i believe) either that or Portsmouth and MacGillivary have done a number on us and gave him POTY so as to drum up some interest from unsuspecting clubs. 

• Options
    Amos brought calm collecting crosses, in a way no other goalie does in L1. Let's hope MacGillvray improves soon as goalies usually do not need time to adjust to a new team in terms of shot stopping.
  • Options
    Happy to agree with the midfield but not this.

You can have three shit games and call it bad form.  This guy has got pedigree and is not short of glowing references.  Agree however he’s had a shocker so far.
  • Options
    Interesting that so far this season Pompey are yet to let in a goal in the league
  • Options
    What happened with Amos is the same thing people did to JFC. 

They assumed we could do much better and now we have CMG and Sean Clare
  • Options
    We have let so many good keepers slip through our hands in recent times……it’s quite incredible when you come to think of it.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Interesting that so far this season Pompey are yet to let in a goal in the league
    Also worth noting the three teams they've faced are currently: 21st | 22nd | 24th

Ironically they play the team in 23rd on Saturday so on the face of it at the moment, they've had the easiest start of everyone
  • Options
    I have no doubt he will improve, but based on what I have seen, he is the worst Goalkeeper we’ve had in years.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Amos up on Saturday?

If he has a worldie at the valley, this thread will explode!

For the record I’m not convinced by this fella at the moment , and I said to my son it might take 10 league games for him to improve / settle in, before the season started.
  • Options
    Far too early to call, Player of the year for Pompey last year. Some people need time to settle even goalkeepers, lets throw some stats out for the last 3 seasons, all league one: 
    20/21 - 15 clean sheets - 46 games - 51 goals total conceded
    19/20 - 6 clean sheets - 20 games - 26 goals 
    18/19 - 11 clean sheets - 46 games - 51 goals

That is the kind of stats that we need, clean sheets will win games. Yes he has made a couple of mistakes so far but all keepers are going to be judged on this. Overall, the end of the season i expect he will do more than enough to have won people over. 

Although i would add, i would still like a decent backup or someone to challenge for the number 1 position as that can always be a factor. 
  • Options
     cost us a point in each of our away games.
  • Options
    Also worth noting the three teams they've faced are currently: 21st | 22nd | 24th

Ironically they play the team in 23rd on Saturday so on the face of it at the moment, they've had the easiest start of everyone
    Fair comment, though lowly teams can carry a goal threat. Reading the BBC report from last night

Early in the second half, Bazunu made a good save low down to his left to push Luke Leahy's 20-yard shot away for a corner.
    In the last minute of normal time, Bazunu made a stunning flying save to keep out Udoh's header from point-blank range and deny Shrewsbury a point.
  • Options

Fair comment, though lowly teams can carry a goal threat. Reading the BBC report from last night

Early in the second half, Bazunu made a good save low down to his left to push Luke Leahy's 20-yard shot away for a corner.
    In the last minute of normal time, Bazunu made a stunning flying save to keep out Udoh's header from point-blank range and deny Shrewsbury a point.
    Yeah I did check the stats after my post at the shots on target, and to be fair its not like Bazunu didnt need to be there

Four shots on target faced from Fleetwood and Shrewsbury, just the one against Crewe
  • Options

Yeah I did check the stats after my post at the shots on target, and to be fair its not like Bazunu didnt need to be there

Four shots on target faced from Fleetwood and Shrewsbury, just the one against Crewe
    Cowley likes his keepers to play for the back, he was very complimentary about how Bazuna helped create one of the goals on Saturday (in the Man City style)
  • Options
    Shocking so far
  • Options
    We have let so many good keepers slip through our hands in recent times……it’s quite incredible when you come to think of it.
    I see what you did there and I like it.