Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

We have a relegation goalkeeper

Comments

• Options
    Almost like the 1st 3 places in our player of the year last season were taken by very good league 1 players, who a lot of people thought we would/could upgrade on........ 
  • Options
    I thought he looked better in the pre-season games than in the league. Though, that's true of most of our team. It looks like every other team has stepped up a gear and we've just trod water.
  • Options
    He worries me when he comes out to make a clearance, always looks like a mistake waiting to happen with his kicking 
  • Options
    Must say I’ve been disappointed so far.

But all those clamouring for Amos have very short memories. Do not rate him as the guy to get you promoted at all. You only have to look at his career to see that he has zero promotions on his CV.
  • Options
    Amos was shit so I don’t think we are any worse off
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    He’s been pony so far, but let’s give him a bit of time. Not like anybody else’s is standing out either. He just happens to be the goalkeeper of a very poor side at the moment. Getting on his back isnt going to help.

The trouble is it’s not like he’s got anybody breathing down his neck. Keepers need to be kept on their toes.
  • Options
    Amos was shit so I don’t think we are any worse off
    there seems to be some collective amnesia going on. I think Amos was an average L1 ‘keeper, I don’t mean that in a nasty way - I literally think he’s the midpoint in terms of quality in this League. 
  • Options

But all those clamouring for Amos have very short memories. Do not rate him as the guy to get you promoted at all. You only have to look at his career to see that he has zero promotions on his CV.
    Neither has our current keeper, who has never played above league 1.  At least Amos has 100 plus championship games and international age caps.  MacGillivray hasn't even got under age caps and he is Scottish!!

It's to early to judge but put their CVs next to each other though and it's not really a comparison.  It's not surprising we tried really hard to keep Amos. 
  • Options
    Poor so far but I'm confident come the end of the season he'll have had a solid season for us. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I liked Amos, but he had streaks of poor performances, which Bowyer described as teams scoring Worldies week after week. 

Don't think the scapegoat you're looking for is here
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    Shoot on site against Wigan :)

I can see a problem with that straight away…we need to actually get on site 1st…🤔🙄
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

Polish your boots Dobson, Albie and Watson!
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Redhenry said:

Polish your boots Dobson, Albie and Watson!
    If it's them 3 taking the shots then bet on a Wigan clean sheet on Saturday
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:

Neither has our current keeper, who has never played above league 1.  At least Amos has 100 plus championship games and international age caps.  MacGillivray hasn't even got under age caps and he is Scottish!!

It's to early to judge but put their CVs next to each other though and it's not really a comparison.  It's not surprising we tried really hard to keep Amos. 
    The single year he’s played more than 20 games in a Championship season, Bolton got relegated in 24th, conceding a league high 81 goals. Every other season has been a short term loan from his Man U days or filling in as second choice. Thank god we didn’t lose Dillon during the 19/20 campaign.

He has plenty of youth caps but all that indicates to me is that he’s only ever been on a downward trajectory since those days. We know where his ceiling is and it’s upper mid table League One.

I was excited about the signing of CMG because his career looks to be doing the opposite. No flashiness, worked his way up the ladder, was a promotion rival’s POTY last season and has potential for further growth.

All that said, he has been shaky thus far and I’m sure we will see improvement.
  • Options
    No we don't, ridiculous post three games in to the season.
  • Options
    If you look at the two keepers who were in the U21s squad with Amos at the time, both Johnstone and Steele have had better careers at higher levels. 

Big Mac has made 1 mistake and 1 he could have done better with in the 3 games, but you would expect a striker to finish the chance Parrot had last night most of the time. 
  • Options
    Only saw him against Wednesday and thought he looked shaky tbf. Having said that, he wasn't helped by his defenders dropping him in it with short back passes and also letting the ball run through a couple of times, meaning Mac had to race out and rescue them! Amos was a very solid all round keeper for us. Hopefully Mac will improve once he forms more or a relationship with his back 4. Not writing him off just yet. No one has covered themselves in glory si far by the sound of things. COYA 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

The single year he’s played more than 20 games in a Championship season, Bolton got relegated in 24th, conceding a league high 81 goals. Every other season has been a short term loan from his Man U days or filling in as second choice. Thank god we didn’t lose Dillon during the 19/20 campaign.

He has plenty of youth caps but all that indicates to me is that he’s only ever been on a downward trajectory since those days. We know where his ceiling is and it’s upper mid table League One.

I was excited about the signing of CMG because his career looks to be doing the opposite. No flashiness, worked his way up the ladder, was a promotion rival’s POTY last season and has potential for further growth.

That doesnt tell the full story though does it, they were shocking that season, Darren Pratley was their 4th highest goal scorer.  He did score more than a 38 year old Emile Heskey though.   They nearly went out of business that season. 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

That doesnt tell the full story though does it, they were shocking that season, Darren Pratley was their 4th highest goal scorer.  He did score more than a 38 year old Emile Heskey though.   They nearly went out of business that season. 
    🤷‍♂️ He’s had opportunities elsewhere too. 
    Ask Millwall fans. They had him goal for 12 games during 18/19. 
    During those games, he made 23 saves and conceded 23 goals. 50% of the shots on target he faced went in. 
    He kept one clean sheet, against Ipswich, who didn’t muster a shot on target in 90 mins.

Is CMG the answer? We’ll need to see more before we write him off.

Is Amos the answer? In my opinion, definitely not.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Seems he went from Pompey's 'player of the season 20/21' to possibly being unwanted by the very capable and expert talent spotting Cowley Brothers .. so far, he looks to be a downgrade from Amos .. still, he's behind a very shaky defence in a team that is lacking coherence and confidence .. so not the best of starts to his career with the Addicks
  • Options
    Seems he went from Pompey's 'player of the season 20/21' to possibly being unwanted by the very capable and expert talent spotting Cowley Brothers .. so far, he looks to be a downgrade from Amos .. still, he's behind a very shaky defence in a team that is lacking coherence and confidence .. so not the best of starts to his career with the Addicks
    Bit of a stretch I feel. Yes he's currently playing worse than an on-form Amos but Amos himself had a stretch last season of looking absolutely awful.

I don't know if long term McG will prove better than Amos but I don't think he's playing as well as he can do.
  • Options
    I don't think that Amos was anything special but he's better than what we've now got between the sticks.
    It isn't the poor defence that has made McG fumble the ball straight back out to the onrushing Oxford player instead of out sideways, or position himself so badly for Parrott's goal last night. It also isn't the defence's fault for his atrocious kicking, which very nearly cost us a goal against Sheff Wed.
    It might be the defence's fault why he seems permanently stuck to his line but I doubt it.
    I haven't seen a single thing to be positive about in his performances in the three league games so far. 
  • Options
    The same very shakey defence, at least 3 of them, that Amos kept a string of clean sheets behind at the start and end of last season? 
  • Options
    I don't think that Amos was anything special but he's better than what we've now got between the sticks.
    It isn't the poor defence that has made McG fumble the ball straight back out to the onrushing Oxford player instead of out sideways, or position himself so badly for Parrott's goal last night. It also isn't the defence's fault for his atrocious kicking, which very nearly cost us a goal against Sheff Wed.
    It might be the defence's fault why he seems permanently stuck to his line but I doubt it.
    I haven't seen a single thing to be positive about in his performances in the three league games so far. 
    I know what you are saying .. for me goal keeping is all about confidence and split second decision making as much as about ability and agility .. playing behind a dodgy defence is no good at all for keeper confidence  and lack of confidence leads to bad mistakes ..
    'will he (the defender) clear it, will he get to the striker or should I come for the ball' etc etc etc hesitation is fatal ..  he has been left isolated far too often and hasn't dealt with that at all well .. we could have got a better keeper, there are a LOT of very good young and ambitious keepers around, especially at the bigger Prem and Champ clubs .. MaCG at CAFC is one of several poor signings made by the current regime .. as I alluded to in the first post, IF he was that good, Cowley would have kept him or made more effort to keep him
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Calling him a relegation goalkeeper is probably not going to help him settle ……….
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

Watch out in row Z then 😵‍💫
  • Options
    Not impressed so far but as Pompey POTY he clearly has ability and will come good

• Options
    Shocking so far. Confidence is low. I have to say, he seems McGillivray has been exposed much more than I would have ever thought with Innis and Fam in front of him. Both of whom have not had great starts either. Think NA should take them all away for a few days and get them alert and fired up and fighting for eachother. And this is the manager's call not the players. They've proved they CAN win and defend regularly at this level.
  • Options
    In football to be a decent side, the aim should be for every player to go into training and look at someone who is genuine competition and could take their shirt if they take their eye off the ball.

Who does MacGillivray see?
    Equally who do Famewo, Stockley, Jayiesimi, etc see?

A squad isn't only important when you have injuries and suspensions or a fixture pile up. It is important every day of every season and that starts on Day 1 of pre season training.

Some poor keeping in the first few games and history suggests he's better than that, but where's the pressure to improve?
    Excellent points. I wholly agree.