Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

We have a relegation goalkeeper

Comments

• Options
    Clarky said:
    Rothko said:
    He's probably been our best player so far today, some great saves
    The saves that he has made today have been far from great. 
    You're either high and drunk, or on the wind up 
    See what you think after you've watched the highlights. 
    Clearly a wind up or he is some sort of idiot. I will let the non idiots decide which!
    Why don't you just watch the highlights and decide for yourself if my comments are fair or whether we had the reincarnation of Gordon Banks in goal. 
    No-one has said he was “the reincarnation of Gordon Banks”, only one has said his key saves were “big standard”. Long way between the two statements, I wonder who the majority would think was wrong. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Clarky said:
    Rothko said:
    Clearly a wind up or he is some sort of idiot. I will let the non idiots decide which!
    Why don't you just watch the highlights and decide for yourself if my comments are fair or whether we had the reincarnation of Gordon Banks in goal. 
    No-one has said he was “the reincarnation of Gordon Banks”, only one has said his key saves were “big standard”. Long way between the two statements, I wonder who the majority would think was wrong. 
    Perhaps only one person has watched the saves again on the highlights.
    By the way, which of his saves do you think were great? 
  • Options
    Clarky said:
    Rothko said:
    Gordon Banks ????
    What on earth are you talking about?
    He made 3 good/excellent/great saves to prevent a 0-5 defeat. End of. 
    Did he? 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Clarky said:
    Rothko said:
    Clarky said:
    Rothko said:
    Gordon Banks ????
    The ones he was talking about. 

I get that you were active on this thread when MacGillivaray had a frankly poor start to his Charlton career, but it’s a shame that a grown man doesn’t have the emotional intelligence to say that this particular performance was decent. 

I think every other person looking at your comments tonight can see what’s going happening here, so you crack on. 
  • Options
    Very impressed with McGillivray today. Did enough to keep us in the game and generally good distribution. We were undone by a better forward line. We need to find 1-2 goal scorers or were fucked. Stockley isn't a goal scorer (in sufficient numbers) to win games. He will get occasional goals but cannot be our sole striker. 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    Clarky said:
    Rothko said:
    Clarky said:
    Rothko said:
    Gordon Banks ????
    The ones he was talking about. 

I get that you were active on this thread when MacGillivaray had a frankly poor start to his Charlton career, but it’s a shame that a grown man doesn’t have the emotional intelligence to say that this particular performance was decent. 

I think every other person looking at your comments tonight can see what’s going happening here, so you crack on. 
    I sit in LN row A D Block just to the right of the goal 🥅 and saw all three very close up today - they were great saves and everyone around me thought the same. Anyone who says differently is clearly on a wind up.
  • Options
    The one right before HT from the edge of the area was a really good reflex save as that was coming at speed

Thought it was going to be an own goal had Mac not stopped it, although twitter said it was Naylor who made contact
  • Options
    Clarky said:
    Rothko said:
    Gordon Banks ????
    Did he? 
    Yes. I sit behind the goal, I had a perfect view.
    Where were you sitting?
    Personally I'd say they were good or very good saves, they all prevented a goal.
    He stopped us conceding 5.
    This is a most peculiar conversation.
  • Options
    As others said, much better game and some confidence building saves.

Need to see it again but did think he was at fault for their 2nd though. Bit of indecision coming out and got caught in no man’s land. Two games in a row I’ve felt he’s made a goal easy for the oppo. Need to see again though.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Clarky said:
    Rothko said:
    Gordon Banks ????
    Did he? 
    Yes. I sit behind the goal, I had a perfect view.
    Where were you sitting?
    Personally I'd say they were good or very good saves, they all prevented a goal.
    He stopped us conceding 5.
    This is a most peculiar conversation.
    Fortunately, I was not at the ground today. I would suggest, therefore, that my view via the stream and the Sky highlights, was superior to your view behind the goal.
    McG stopped us from conceding 5 purely by being in goal. The saves that he made were nothing out of the ordinary.
    I'd add that I hope that he proves me wrong and goes on to be a great goalkeeper for us. I just haven't seen anything thus far to suggest that he is anything other than a lesser keeper than we have had in recent seasons. 
  • Options
    Superb display by Mac today; Without him we concede 5. MOM performance and that includes the Wigan side. 
  • Options
    Kind of with superclive on this. The saves were nothing out of the ordinary and you'd be very disappointed if any of them go in (maybe the touch onto the bar was slightly better than that). I will judge him on how he commands his box, saves long-range shots and approaches one on ones - these are the point-of-difference attributes for a pro keeper. Amos was clearly better at the first and third of those on the evidence so far.
  • Options
    If a goalkeeper makes saves he's nothing special and if he concedes then invariably he should have saved them. 

I've seen numerous Charlton goalkeepers come in for OTT criticism from fans who find it difficult to dish out praise.

• Options
    Clarky said:
    Rothko said:
    Gordon Banks ????
    Did he? 
    Yes
  • Options
    You judge a keeper on their consistency, not so much their individual saves. Jury is out. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    You judge a keeper on their consistency, not so much their individual saves. Jury is out. 
    The level of criticism he's had 4 games in is ridiculous. I've listened to fans slagging off Amos, Phillips, Pope etc and I think some just get a kick out of being negative.
  • Options
    He made an error against Sheffield, one at Oxford and at least 1 possibly 2 against MK Dons.

However no one can say he didn’t have a good game yesterday, he saved us 3 or 4 times with superb saves. 

Come the end of the season I think we’ll be quite happy with him. 

The whole time the midfield is relegation level though the more pressure he and the defence are going to be under.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    I'd rather we'd kept Amos, but he chose to leave.
    I reckon 2 or 3 of those long range goals last season were down to him. 
    The team were at greater fault for letting the opposition have unchallenged shots at goal.

Regarding MacG, I thought he looked relatively poor first 3 games.
    I'm dubious about him playing "sweeper" as well.
    He looks like he will be caught out every game.
    He doesn't command the area in the air like Amos.

But I call it how I see it and yesterday he made 3 good saves and was MOM.
  • Options

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2021
    I thought that MacGillivray did well yesterday.

But the point is, when your goalkeeper is MoM ... or Player of the Season, you have problems.

We could have been two or three down after 15 minutes.

Did you see that, Nigel?
  • Options
    He made some good saves on Saturday but I feel he’s putting himself in a poor position. He looks unsure - when attackers head towards goal, he seems to go to them, but then reconsider and then begin going back to goal, leaving him in No-mans land. Showed best by the MK Dons first goal but happened a few times on Saturday. Hopefully another keeper signing will focus his mind on his decision making
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    I thought that MacGillivray did well yesterday.

But the point is, when your goalkeeper is MoM ... or Player of the Season, you have problems.

We could have been two or three down after 15 minutes.

Did you see that, Nigel?
    I’m sure NA saw it, I’m more concerned that TS and maybe GR don’t understand it.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Fair point, but if he's going to be criticised when he makes mistakes he should equally be praised when he has a good game.

You're right to say consistency is important, but if he plays consistently like he did yesterday he could be a very important player.

It's also hard for any keeper to be super consistent with a defence that wanders around like ours currently does.
  • Options
    A deserved clean sheet. He loved the North Stand noise too!
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Really starting to grow on me.

To me, from a limited amount of matches, he looks to be a superior shot stopper to Amos. Even thought his distribution looked good yesterday. 

Still not sure about his ability against the high ball, there was one he punched yesterday I felt he could have caught - but Amos absolutely excelled in that area so maybe we were just spoilt. 
  • Options
    I thought he looked very good in pre-season and despite the TEAM’s slow start, I think he has shown that he can be relied upon with great saves when necessary. I think he will build a fantastic rapport with the Covered End as games go on as well, as he appears to have an engaging disposition.
  • Options
    I thought that was arguably his best game so far.
    Not only did he make a few excellent saves, but a big plus for me was that he wasn't wandering outside his penalty box today.
    It's the first game he hasn't worried me about getting chipped by an opposition player.
    (I do know the benefits of "sweeper").
  • Options
    he's well settled in now and is used to playing behind his (so far) regular defenders