Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

We have a relegation goalkeeper

Comments

• Options
    I thought that was arguably his best game so far.
    Not only did he make a few excellent saves, but a big plus for me was that he wasn't wandering outside his penalty box today.
    It's the first game he hasn't worried me about getting chipped by an opposition player.
    (I do know the benefits of "sweeper").
    Apart from the one time he was up by the the centre circle  :D

Actually, I like the sweeper-keeper thing. I think it makes for exciting play. I understand that the great Sam Bartram was rather adventurous in his play, I wonder what modern day fans would make of him now.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    I thought that was arguably his best game so far.
    Not only did he make a few excellent saves, but a big plus for me was that he wasn't wandering outside his penalty box today.
    It's the first game he hasn't worried me about getting chipped by an opposition player.
    (I do know the benefits of "sweeper").
    Apart from the one time he was up by the the centre circle  :D

Actually, I like the sweeper-keeper thing. I think it makes for exciting play. I understand that the great Sam Bartram was rather adventurous in his play, I wonder what modern day fans would make of him now.
    I'd be happier if he retreated quicker, but previously he seemed to amble backwards and at a decent level would have conceded in the first few games.
  • Options
    He’s not the biggest issue but I’d argue he’s already made mistakes that have contributed to more preventable goals against than Amos did last season and Amos was getting pelters on here at one point. 

He has made some very good saves but he’s a definite downgrade, in my opinion and perhaps that’s an indication that, for all we are definitely underachieving, this season’s squad is probably no better and arguably worse than one that failed to make the playoffs in a season when the league was probably weaker overall. 
  • Options
    Give Hendo a run out on Tuesday. Mac looked to be at fault for both goals on Sat.
  • Options
    Great shot stopper but no presence in the box and his positional play is poor. 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Give Hendo a run out on Tuesday. Mac looked to be at fault for both goals on Sat.
    Rubbish.
    The first was very very unfortunate, the second I fail to see anyway whatsoever that he could be blamed, it was a peach of a cross that was for defenders to deal with and THEY very poorly didn’t, the cross was NOT there for him to claim.
    He deserved a 7 for his performance.
    Having said that, I was perfectly happy with Amos!
  • Options
    Keeper needs to be able to trust his defence. 

How does he trust a back four that could be any of:

Gunter
    Matthews 
    Lavelle 
    Inniss 
    Famewo
    Pearce
    Purrington
    Souaré

In any combination?!
  • Options
    Question for me is whether the defence would be doing better with a different keeper or would any keeper look poor behind this defence?

Ideally yes we'd want him coming for more crosses etc but if he doesn't have confidence in his defence then it might not be (completely) his fault if he's not doing that. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    When the cross came in for their winner I thought the keeper had to come for it. Amos would have. 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Sounds like you've got a Dracula on your hands.
  • Options
    The goal keeper is not the one of the issues with this team IMO. Form on Saturday was a reflection of the wider problems
    This
  • Options
    Sounds like you've a Dracula on your hands.
    He isn’t as bad as people are making out. 
  • Options
    Sounds like you've a Dracula on your hands.
    He isn’t as bad as people are making out. 
    Kasey Keller was known as Dracula at our place. Great shot stopper, though.
  • Options
    Yeah, CMac made one exceptional reflex save, but one goal came from a flap at a cross-shot and the other he just stayed on his line. He can't kick well either. He will make saves other keepers at this level can't, but I'm not convinced that's what you need
  • Options
    The issue is we've been strong in the goalkeeping area for a long time and one of Amos's biggest attributes was coming for crosses so that difference is immediately noticeable. MaGillivray isn't necessarily a bad keeper, he's just not as good as the ones we've had before him
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He is poor.
    Never comes for crosses.
    Distribution is shocking.
    v Lincoln he tried to go quick and long to our strikers who were high up on either side of the pitch and he booted it straight down the middle..
    He cannot kick under pressure, Poor kick out v Lincoln then amazingly they never chased him down afterwards, like they felt sorry for him.  If I was an oppo manager I would have my striker tearing down at him at every opportunity, Yann would have had a field day.
  • Options
    He is poor.
    Never comes for crosses.
    Distribution is shocking.
    v Lincoln he tried to go quick and long to our strikers who were high up on either side of the pitch and he booted it straight down the middle..
    He cannot kick under pressure, Poor kick out v Lincoln then amazingly they never chased him down afterwards, like they felt sorry for him.  If I was an oppo manager I would have my striker tearing down at him at every opportunity, Yann would have had a field day.
    Agreed. His distribution was woeful on Saturday.

As was what happened for the first goal on watching it again. He's done that before, palmed the ball straight to the forwards/centre of penalty area, both times Thuram actually sprang to mind!
  • Options
    It's not going well so far is it. The odd great save isn't enough when a number of other areas are below par. I know it can't be easy playing behind such a shaky defence but at the same time it's not going to be roses for the defenders knowing they've got a keeper that virtually never relieves any pressure. Would be tempted to give Henderson a go. 
  • Options
    The whole point of signing a "credible" backup keeper is that they should be a genuine contender for the gloves. It's a waste of wages unless Henderson is genuinely being considered on Tuesday

If might be a bit unfair, but is Glyn Shimell our GK coach good enough? McG certainly has weaknesses, and is regularly making the same mistakes

• Options
    edited October 2021
    From what I've seen I actually think he's a decent keeper, although I wouldn't necessarily say he's looked like an upgrade on Amos. Amos was exceptional with his aerial presence although he always looked vulnerable with long range shots. I'd say there about level which is perhaps one of our issues this year, players we've brought in as it stands don't seem to be upgrades on what we already have or lost.

I think most keeper's at this level have strengths and weaknesses, that's why there in League One and not at a higher level. From memory I don't remember seeing any keeper's this year in League one that have really stood out to me as exceptional. Bazanu at Pompey has really stood out in Ireland games I've watched but I can't remember how he fared when we played Pompey.

As much as I liked the nostalgia aspect of Henderson's return, I'm not sure he is the answer to our problems. He was great for us when he last played but that must have been 4/5 years ago and I don't think he's had a proper run of games since then which is a long time to not play much competitive football. I could be wrong of course and maybe he's excellent in training but I get the impression he's been brought in as back up and no more and he probably knows that as well.
  • Options
    Doesn't inspire any confidence in me. The first goal was a joke. Needs to be dropped.
  • Options
    If you think CMac is the problem, then you've diagnosed the wrong problems with this team
  • Options
    the keeper is way down the 'shit that is going wrong' list
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    If you think CMac is the problem, then you've diagnosed the wrong problems with this team
    I don't think anyone is saying he is the sole problem. Everyone knows we've got problems throughout but I think it's fair to have expected more from him at this stage. 
  • Options
    Amos was dodgy on long shots, Cmac doesn't come for crosses, i'm sure there's other keepers in this division who can't kick properly or have other faults. And guess what........that's why they're playing in league one.

He was POTY at Portsmouth last year, a side who finished above us so i'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that he's not as shit as half this thread is making out he is.