Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Corey Blackett-Taylor - (p34 - signed for Derby on loan til the end of the season)

Comments

• I don't see CBT having much pressure on him. He's a squad player on a short term deal, if it works out, great, if it doesn't, well we'll move on.

Similarly young Deji had no real pressure on him on Tuesday. If he played well, he gets the credit. If he struggled, then the flak would go to the management for sending a 17 year on and not having an experienced right footed back up defender in the squad.

Kirk has far more pressure on him, as he's the player we've been chasing for ages, that we paid a decent fee for and gave a 4 year contract to (and presumably much higher wages than CBT too). Especially as he's spent all his career at Crewe, so it's a major step up in expectations for him.
    There’s always pressure when people boo you. And what I was saying was that the knockers will be waiting for their chance. 
    But agree that there’s generally much less pressure on a wild card signing than there is on a big money, high profile one. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    I don't see CBT having much pressure on him. He's a squad player on a short term deal, if it works out, great, if it doesn't, well we'll move on.

Similarly young Deji had no real pressure on him on Tuesday. If he played well, he gets the credit. If he struggled, then the flak would go to the management for sending a 17 year on and not having an experienced right footed back up defender in the squad.

Kirk has far more pressure on him, as he's the player we've been chasing for ages, that we paid a decent fee for and gave a 4 year contract to (and presumably much higher wages than CBT too). Especially as he's spent all his career at Crewe, so it's a major step up in expectations for him.
    There’s always pressure when people boo you. And what I was saying was that the knockers will be waiting for their chance. 
    But agree that there’s generally much less pressure on a wild card signing than there is on a big money, high profile one. 
    To be fair I don't think the anger will be aimed at him it will be aimed at the recruitment team.

It always suprises me (well it doesn't but anyway) how much stick someone like Gunter gets when playing out of position, I don't think the reason we haven't signed a left back is Gunter told them not to and he could do the job. 
  • He doesn't feel like a Charlton player yet.
  • edited October 2021
    I think that article has been edited?  I am sure it included a line about "the powers that be" in the original.

Edit: “I know he’s very happy as well. We’ll let the powers that be progress that and he’ll keep working hard on the training ground.”

Edit edit:  it's still there doh but it's an intresting line anyway. 
  • Re Elerewe : I read that to say "we've offered him a contract but he wont be signing it"
  • yeah we must've been talking to him for some time, if he was going to sign I suspect he would've done so by now
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    I think that article has been edited?  I am sure it included a line about "the powers that be" in the original.

Edit: “I know he’s very happy as well. We’ll let the powers that be progress that and he’ll keep working hard on the training ground.”

Edit edit:  it's still there doh but it's an intresting line anyway. 
    It doesn't seem that interesting to me. There's specific reference to there being people who are specifically responsible for negotiating terms of contracts, which Adkins is not. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Re Elerewe : I read that to say "we've offered him a contract but he wont be signing it"
    What a shock. That's because everything you contribute is so fucking negative
  • We have heard Ged, Nigel and Steve all say it's a committee arrangement between the 3 of them and Thomas will either endorse the recommendations or not.

I remember Richard Murray saying he thought Matt Holland was over rated a year before we signed him !
    Curbs had more say than Adkins has now on transfers after hearing the words of Nigel.

• JamesSeed said:
    I’m liking the Tranmere fans on Twitter: 

Huh Tranmere fans knew better than ours 
  • We have heard Ged, Nigel and Steve all say it's a committee arrangement between the 3 of them and Thomas will either endorse the recommendations or not.

I remember Richard Murray saying he thought Matt Holland was over rated a year before we signed him !
    Curbs had more say than Adkins has now on transfers after hearing the words of Nigel.

I think most managers had more say 15-20 years ago to be fair.
  • edited October 2021
    JaShea99 said:
    We have heard Ged, Nigel and Steve all say it's a committee arrangement between the 3 of them and Thomas will either endorse the recommendations or not.

I think most managers had more say 15-20 years ago to be fair.

Agree.
    Nigel Adkins is a head coach who picks the team on match days like the vast majority of "managers" today.
    Nigel is just one voice in 4 when picking incoming players. 

The days of Ferguson, Wenger and Curbs being Managers who oversee the whole structure of the football tactics from academy to first team have disappeared at most top 3 tier clubs.

• Much deserved! Surely means we will free up elsewhere in January too...
  • Wasn't expecting that. A 2 year deal with the option of another year is quite a commitment by the club for a player who hasn't started a league game since Jacko took over
  • edited November 2021
    He earned it but a little surprised we have signed him because we have four wingers and play a formation with no wingers. 
  • edited November 2021
    Assumed he was on the way-out as his went very quite regarding this after Adkins left. Fully deserves a longer contract for his performances at the start of the season. 

Does wonder whether we will be doing a lot of business in the January window. JFC to replace Arter, leaving us one with spot in the squad.
  • Sponsored links:

• Chunes said:
    A little surprised we have signed him because we have four wingers and play a formation with no wingers. Nevertheless CBT deserves a contract.
    Maybe he's showing adaptability in training, either as a striker or a wing-back? Can see Kirk going out on loan
  • Be interesting to see where he fits in if Jackson continues with his current formation (same with Kirk as well).

CBT has perhaps not had the same impact recently as when he started the season, but it’s clear there is a talented player in there - and he must have been getting his head down at training as well. Very happy for him.
  • I'm pleased we've signed him on the basis of the Gillingham game and a couple of other performances as he's shown at times that he's got the talent, and is part of what is becoming a settled side.

I'm equally surprised as thought he may have been released to free up space, and felt of late he hasnt quite been showing the type of performances that we saw a little while ago,
  • edited November 2021
    He seems to be jacko's 2nd choice for the DY wing back role and hes done well when needed so can't argue with this. Has pace to change things off the bench too.

Edit forgot about Leko. 3rd choice but still needed as Leko is likely also cover upfront.
  • He's not really taken to the "wing back" role in the same way as Leko or DJ but he'd been very good prior and he's got lots of pace and talent.

He's useful to have as a bench option and I can see him potentially being converted to more of a striker in the future as an alternative to Washington and Davison. 
  • edited November 2021
    He seems to really be enjoying his time at Charlton. He's had a positive impact on games. 

That's all we should be concerned with as fans.
  • Glad we've tied him down for a while, he seems to be putting the effort in and his kind of pace is always a weapon, however bit on edge about the length of the contract.

I thought he'd have his contract extended but I thought it would be until the end of the season, with an optional extra year. 2 years seems a little optimistic - but the team see him in training everyday. In the BlackBox we trust.
  • Well done, Corey.

A great attacking option to have at the club, IMHO.
  • Wasn't expecting that. A 2 year deal with the option of another year is quite a commitment by the club for a player who hasn't started a league game since Jacko took over
    I think we've been trying to hide him from other interested clubs. Lol
  • Can definitely see him as more of a striking option (1 of the 2 up top) longer term with his pace….work on his movement and finishing and that could be a great bit of business