Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Champions League 21/22

Comments

• Options
    One of the great managers of his generation but that is some absolute rank average in-game management from Guardiola there. Terrible subs. Played right into Madrid's hands instead of letting the game flow. Just shows it happens to the best...
    Is he a great manager though? He has only  worked with top players in all the clubs he has managed. 
    And an open cheque book. 
    To be fair you could say that about a lot of "elite" level managers in the modern era. How many average clubs or players have the likes of Ancelotti and Zidane managed? Most top managers have now perhaps got a maximum of 1 non-big club on the CV and the rest are at the top table with top players and top budgets.

What Guardiola achieved at Barcelona in honours, style and culture was other worldly.
    I'd put them all in the same bracket. I just think its hard to quantify how much impact a manager has, even more so with these top players and big budgets.
    I can see that argument but does that mean that one can't measure the quality of a manager or coach between say a Guardiola and a Howe because they've never had a level playing field in resources? Couldn't you make the same argument for an inability to compare players on the basis of the difference in calibre of player who they play alongside? Feels like we need to try to assess relative merits somehow.
  • Options
    What a result for Liverpool
    Madrid in a CL final is hardly going to be easy. They've won their league as well, so can pretty much rest most of their main players until the final as well. Liverpool have 5 big games to get through first.
    It'll be one comeback too far imo.

Been dominated in every knockout game.
  • Options
    Hala Madrid, Benzema is going to have Matip or Konate on toast, and Vini Jr will absolutely roast TAA who whilst going forwards is fantastic, he's an averagely good defender at best. Liverpoo to bottle it, lose to Spurs at the weekend too, and get turned over in the FA Cup Final 
  • Options

Top Trolling 😂
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Hala Madrid, Benzema is going to have Matip or Konate on toast, and Vini Jr will absolutely roast TAA who whilst going forwards is fantastic, he's an averagely good defender at best. Liverpoo to bottle it, lose to Spurs at the weekend too, and get turned over in the FA Cup Final 
    I’ll have what you’re having. 
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    That last comment...

That’s a really shit ongoing joke on Twitter. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Vinicius Jr is the only player who might get into Liverpool's side.

Edit: Modric probably would
  • Options
    Seattle are playing PUMAS in the ConCaCaf Champions League final tonight.

Sounders 1-0 up at HT.

An MLS team has never won the champions league
  • Options

Benzema, Kroos?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    That last comment...

That’s a really shit ongoing joke on Twitter. 
    Its impossible to read the comment sections on most major Football twitter stories now.

Absolutely filled with copy / paste crap like this
  • Options
    What a turnaround/ comeback. Firstly not sure why they brought KDB of so early and went to shut up shop, looks at City's subs v real Madrid..

Rodrygo/Camavinga - completely changed the game
    Sterling/Grealish - Were both not quite firing

Just to highlight the main subs, although the big turning point for me was the first goal Real scored, ball comes towards Benzema (one of the best or if not best striker in the world at this moment), Cancelo who is usually so good left him, didn't chase to block him and they score a goal which is their first shot on target all match. That one moment was what changed the whole tie and put City on the backfront and they imploded, very un city like. 

People going mental on social media but how anyone can like Real Madrid, dirty tactics, lucky, got away with countless cards and just generally not likeable, similar with Liverpool god knows who i am rooting for in the final but it will be a hell of a game at least! 
  • Options
    KDB had a stinker last night. I thought Grealish played well when he come on.
  • Options
    KDB had a stinker last night. I thought Grealish played well when he come on.
    I wouldn't say a stinker, Grealish did ok but not amazing and needs to be more clinical. Sterling looked awful, normally i like him 
  • Options

Benzema, Kroos?
    Assuming Modric plays alongside Thiago and Fabinho…. Kroos doesn’t get in then.

Benzema flanked by two from Mane Salah or Diaz would be frightening 
  • Options
    Pep just needs another £300-400m to bolster his squad, then he will get them winning.... Most overrated manager going. Klopp's on a completely different level 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    This is a Man City side without a striker for an entire season by the way. 

So (potentially) winning the league and getting to the Champions League semi-finals would be seen as pretty good considering that. 
  • Options
    One thing i will say is people have always said City have the biggest and best squad, but i'm not sure that's the case now, especially compared to Liverpool.

They're lacking at full back, hence they had to rush Walker back last night, and of course they have no striker options. Liverpool have 5-6 good strikers, City only have Jesus. Obviously that will change next season if they get Haaland and they've already signed Alvarez.
  • Options
    City's squad is unbalanced. Buying Grealish when they were already stacked with flairy midfielders, Zinchenko at LB in the absence of Mendy. Indeed for their way of playing, is Grealish an upgrade on Ferran Torres?

Liverpool have been superb in the transfer market in recent years. To an excellent front 3 with Origi and Shaqiri as backup, they've added Jota and Diaz to give them incredible attacking depth
  • Options
    Imagine City this season with CR7 up top...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    One thing i will say is people have always said City have the biggest and best squad, but i'm not sure that's the case now, especially compared to Liverpool.

They're lacking at full back, hence they had to rush Walker back last night, and of course they have no striker options. Liverpool have 5-6 good strikers, City only have Jesus. Obviously that will change next season if they get Haaland and they've already signed Alvarez.
    If TAA or Robertson get injured, who do Liverpool have to come in? We saw last season how poor Liverpool can be when their defense gets disrupted by injury.
  • Options
    Real Madrid have come back time and time again in this competition which deserves respect. The ref was a bit rubbish IMO for such a big game and 3 minutes at he end was hilarious. However, it is a much better final for us neutrals than another Liverpool v City game and I don't feel sorry for City seeing as they don't feel sorry for us. 
  • Options

If TAA or Robertson get injured, who do Liverpool have to come in? We saw last season how poor Liverpool can be when their defense gets disrupted by injury.
    Tsimikas at LB, Joe Gomez at RB. 
  • Options

Tsimikas and Gomez.

Liverpool's problem last season was they had 3 centre backs out for months at the same time. 
  • Options
    Got to be impressed with Liverpool's data driven approach to recruitment....  o:)
  • Options

So (potentially) winning the league and getting to the Champions League semi-finals would be seen as pretty good considering that. 
    Jesus. Grealish, Stirling, Mahrez, Foden, KDB et al are all strikers - they don't play with a recognised No 9 but that is by design.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Jesus. Grealish, Stirling, Mahrez, Foden, KDB et al are all strikers - they don't play with a recognised No 9 but that is by design.
    I'd only class Jesus as a natural Striker out of those names.

Grealish | Sterling | Mahrez are wide players

Foden | de Bruyne are what I'd class as attacking midfielders in the Frank Lampard sense.
  • Options
    And would City be stronger with a 2015-2020 Aguero up top? Yes
  • Options

Tsimikas and Gomez.

Liverpool's problem last season was they had 3 centre backs out for months at the same time. 
    Fair enough, although id put Ake in the same bracket as Gomez. A centre-back that can play full-back. So City have Cancelo (can play both sides), Zinchenko, Walker and Ake.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

I'd only class Jesus as a natural Striker out of those names.

Grealish | Sterling | Mahrez are wide players

Foden | de Bruyne are what I'd class as attacking midfielders in the Frank Lampard sense.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-city/top-scorers

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/top-scorers

But on that basis you could argue Liverpool also play without a striker Mane and Salah usually play wide left and right respectively.

Maybe that's the nature of modern football, certainly when it comes to Man City and Liverpool.