Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sam Lavelle - gone to Carlisle on a 2year deal (p22)

Comments

• Options
    Based on what was estimated for Ryan's injury we should be expecting a return mid November but we know it's more likely to be Xmas. Really unlucky for Sam who I think was beginning to find his feet here. Yep players out of position again and most likely to see Gunter slotting in. I would prefer Deji but it's a bit of a risk with his lack of experience. However, if you are good enough.....
  • Options
    Will have to play Gunter and Matthews together with one at RWB and the other at RCB at this rate, plenty on here calling for neither of them to be involved recently.

An already shit defence is now further depleted through injuries, lump on us being bottom 6 at Christmas
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    RedChaser said:
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

There is no way TS our any owner at our level would have 6 CBs on there books at the start of the season in case of future injuries. Furthermore Lavelle has been almost ever present for Morecambe over the last few seasons and not in the injury prone risky signing category.

You can question the decision to sign Innis in the first place but it was a gamble which unfortunately isn’t paying off. All is not lost though, Dobson is a converted CB from his youth at West Ham and could possibly still do a job there. In the words of the manager before last, ‘It is what it is’ and we’ll have to make do at worst until January. 
    No need to go any further than you first 5 words.

If only some people would have questioned the transfer policy back in late June then we might not be in this mess. Oh wait........🤔🙂.

Interesting to see of Jacko persists with his 5 at the back policy now........or whether that will end up being a 1 game wonder.

All I will say is that Pearce is NOT the answer at centre half. Slow, cumbersome & always has a foul/penalty in him. 

Bye bye winning run.....
    I’m not sure the position we find ourselves in (3rd from bottom) has anything to do with Lavelle getting injured and as Scoham points out there is a squad limit in force.

Of course Pearce isn’t the answer, he was never meant to be but needs must now. It’s a kick in in the goolies no question but I’m hopeful that those being asked to step up to the plate will do so with more of the same from last week. 

It’s a bit early for me to get the worry beads out, only time will tell but you carry on by all means 😉.
  • Options
    If we play a 3 at the back like we did against Sunderland it'd be matthews Pearce famewo, only issue is our only cover is the lack of experienced cover on the bench 
  • Options
    I'd definitely have Gunter & Elewere on the bench.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Sam_777 said:
    Deji Elerewe come on down, son. 
    We simply can’t play a youth player who won’t sign a contract when we have other fit defenders

Sign a contract, become a regular in League One and get your big move in the summer. I have no idea why these kids are so desperate to fast-track before even proving themselves.
    We don't though.

Famewo and Pearce will start. Inniss and Lavelle are injured, Gunter is a liability. Who else is there?
    Mathews, Famewo, Pearce. Just like we did at Sunderland when Lavelle went off.
    Gunter played centre back for us and Wales and Dobson has also played there for Sunderland 
    Dobson has played at CB 13 times in his career, all of which were in the 14/15 season for Arsenal U18s. So no he didn’t play there at Sunderland.
  • Options
    Wouldn’t be surprised to see Matthews, Famewo and Purrington as the back three with Leko and Soure wing backs.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    I'm assuming he's somehow confused Dobson with O'Nien, defensive midfielder who has played 3/4 times at CB last season for Sunderland.

• Options
    edited October 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    I'd definitely have Gunter & Elewere on the bench.
    It’s going to be a case of shuffling the pack, you could even have Soure on the bench and move Purrington inside as one of the three CBS although four left footers of a back five would set a few people off on one 😉.
  • Options
    If Arter can get into the swing of things, we might have an option to move Dobson. All ideas for now. We can't afford any more injuries at the back.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wouldn’t be surprised to see Matthews, Famewo and Purrington as the back three with Leko and Soure wing backs.
    Thought Purrington looked decent in a back 3 that one game Bowyer tried it with him. His strength is certainly in his defending, so not necessarily out of place there.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    If Arter can get into the swing of things, we might have an option to move Dobson. All ideas for now. We can't afford any more injuries at the back.
    Yep, we’ve got a squad of 22 so it’ll have to be used creatively to the full.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited October 2021
    Off_it said:
    vff said:
    A contributing factor to another key injury is likely down to the botched last minute transfer window. If we get the players in early, the new and improved medical team can then better tailor their fitness and make them ready for the season. Sandgaard really needs better advisors / football people in the building.

I sincerely hope that whoever arranged the start of the season  is learning the lesson / being accountable for it. Also that Sandgaard is reconsidering the whole get the players in at the last minute approach for next season.  Charlton might have a proper go at promotion then.
    Lol, nice one.

Player gets injured in a game = blame the owner!
    You think the late transfer window action has been good for the season? Getting in player’s early helps with fitness assessments. Also getting people up to scratch to manage rigours of the season. In these situations injuries are less likely. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Secret-Footballer-What-Physio-Saw/dp/0552174181 

Not blaming Sandgaard (he is a rookie owner) but hoping that the club doesn’t repeat the same thing next season - I didn’t think that wish was controversial (or laughable). Chris Powell’s record breaking season was on the back of getting the squad in early. I don’t recall significant injuries disrupting the squad & season momentum. Learning from mistakes & improving isn’t that how the club grows ? 
  • Options
    Big miss …. Now we are down to two centre backs our injury luck is ridiculous……. funny how people make an opinion on a player after a couple of games like McG one week he the best keeper in the league next he should be dropped  ….  Laville would have been ever present and as I say future captain going to be a massive miss and without Inniss we are looking very thin at centre back 
    Whilst I agree that some of our fans can be fickle af sometimes, has anyone ever said (since he’s been at Charlton) about McG “he the best keeper in the league”??
  • Options
    Thought Purrington looked decent in a back 3 that one game Bowyer tried it with him. His strength is certainly in his defending, so not necessarily out of place there.
    As sweeper, no less! It worked really well for 20 minutes then we stopped. Maybe it was a Jackson idea!
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    3-5-2 is what JJ called it and with Leko and Purrington bombing forward, we didn't play 5 at the back even though it can manifest into 5 if under the cosh. Sam's injury is not down to our medical staff or sport science team but down to injuries occuring in football. 

Ryan Inniss we took a gamble with but unfortunately his muscle injuries are continuing at Cafc which have dogged his career and 18 months would have been a more realistic contract.

I would play Deji Elerewe when we have 3 games in a week because we are cutting off our nose too spite our face if we don't give him games.

• Options
    I would. 
    You think Pearce is that bad? I’m not his biggest fan, but he’s surprised me this season. He was very good v. Sunderland. Why tamper with the MPF formation that worked pretty well?
  • Options
    Pearce and Famewo played more than a handful of games together last season and it was that pairing that saw the end of our abismal run under Bowyer.  They also played quite a few games together under Adkins in our good run.

They never played together, I don't think, in either of our awful runs over the last two seasons. 
  • Options
    Did think we were still a centre back light when the window closed. Inniss' injury was inevitable so then you've got Pearce as a regular back up who now has to start. Shame Elerewe hasn't signed a contract as he'd probably be a better bet.
    Yes we have Gunter/Purrington/Dobson that may be able to fill in but when does that ever work for a significant period of time? Also be a shame if Purrington is moved from the left as he's simply better than Souare. 
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Sam_777 said:
    Deji Elerewe come on down, son. 
    We simply can’t play a youth player who won’t sign a contract when we have other fit defenders

Sign a contract, become a regular in League One and get your big move in the summer. I have no idea why these kids are so desperate to fast-track before even proving themselves.
    We don't though.

Famewo and Pearce will start. Inniss and Lavelle are injured, Gunter is a liability. Who else is there?
    Mathews, Famewo, Pearce. Just like we did at Sunderland when Lavelle went off.
    Gunter played centre back for us and Wales and Dobson has also played there for Sunderland 
    Dobson has played at CB 13 times in his career, all of which were in the 14/15 season for Arsenal U18s. So no he didn’t play there at Sunderland.
    Please don’t let’s facts get in the way of Ronnies thinking.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bless his cotton socks. 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    He seems a good character.

An unfortunate injury as watching it back, he was just being nicely aggressive with his pressing but seemed to slip/stretch. 
  • Options
    A 3 month injury then, if it's the same as Pearce's, so potentially back by late January

With Innis and Lavelle fit by the end of the transfer window, that might mean another CB won't be a priority
  • Options
    He tore the groin tendon off the bone....owch!

Lavelle is quite a threat at corners, scoring 2 already.