Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Energy Bills

Comments

• Options
    Instead of giving handouts to help pay our bills why don’t the government do what they’ve failed to do and invest in green energy for the future which they’ve insisted on.By putting solar panels on every house in the country. We then have a nationalised green energy company. 

That’s not going to solve the impending winter 22/23 financial catastrophe awaiting millions of homes but you are right in as much as the government should be massively subsidising green energy initiatives for every household including insulation, replacement windows and doors, solar and heat pump. Would create hundreds of thousand of jobs in manufacturing and installing and would go some way in making the housing stock more energy efficient. 
  • Options
    Instead of giving handouts to help pay our bills why don’t the government do what they’ve failed to do and invest in green energy for the future which they’ve insisted on.By putting solar panels on every house in the country. We then have a nationalised green energy company. 

Yes! It's been largely missing from this debate - indeed, the only proposal from either candidate is by Truss for removal of the green levy which will reduce investment in renewables. It's worth remembering that about 50% of our electricity is generated from gas and that is why the price is so high. The more we can shift the mix towards renewables, the cheaper the cost will be and we will be less reliant on gas supplies.

I don't know about putting solar panels on every house but certainly they should be made as attractive as possible for householders and commercial buildings to instal on buildings with the right roofs and which face the same way, including cheap loans/subsidies etc as well as getting as many people trained up for installation as possible. There should also be a removal on the ban on onshore wind turbines. 

This won't help for this winter but could make a real difference  for the next one.

• Options
    Jints said:

Yes! It's been largely missing from this debate - indeed, the only proposal from either candidate is by Truss for removal of the green levy which will reduce investment in renewables. It's worth remembering that about 50% of our electricity is generated from gas and that is why the price is so high. The more we can shift the mix towards renewables, the cheaper the cost will be and we will be less reliant on gas supplies.

I don't know about putting solar panels on every house but certainly they should be made as attractive as possible for householders and commercial buildings to instal on buildings with the right roofs and which face the same way, including cheap loans/subsidies etc as well as getting as many people trained up for installation as possible. There should also be a removal on the ban on onshore wind turbines. 

This won't help for this winter but could make a real difference  for the next one.

Completely agree and a start in that would be paying a fair price for the energy you produce. The amount I get for the electricity my solar panels generate hasn’t gone up in price when every other energy source has. I have no option as to who to sell it to either so not a free market.

If you have savings now you are losing money with interest rates being far lower than inflation. The government could do a lot more to incentify people to spend money on energy generation and efficiency. Even just a pay back on investment higher than banks offer would tip it for many people. It won’t help right now, but down the line having less dependence on buying energy from abroad certainly will. 
  • Options

How’s that going to help now? Don’t worry people, we’re on it, just got to starve yourself for 2 years first. 
  • Options

Oi, come up with your own ideas. :p

Put this on the other thread. Should have been done decades ago but even 10 years ago there were signs from Russia and the move towards renewables. This should have been an obvious solution.

I'm all for competition in the energy market (water is different in my view) what the government should be doing (and should have started 10 years ago) is setting up an energy firm to compete with the market. It should focus on new green and nuclear infrastructure and aim to grew to become a major supplier. This would at least give people an alternative option and would force existing companies out of their Oligopoly power and to sacrifice a small percentage of excess profits to restrict price increases.

The government can compete successfully in markets - see NEST in pensions market. 

There should also be massive subsidies or even provision of domestic renewables. Every industrial unit with a large roof should have solar panels, domestic solar panels should be everywhere

• Options
    I was getting at the government or governments  have failed to do it over the past years.debates on what sort of power should we have nuclear should we shit down old coal power stations should we have fracking. 
    They’ve done nothing but put up windmills and now this is where we’re at. 

If you want something instant Cafcfsn1990 I suggest maybe you move into a shell 24 hour garage and eat their food if your that starving 

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Just looked at my Octopus energy app which now has a crystal ball setting which says what your monthly payments will be based on current analyst thinking.  According to that my dual bill goes from c £200pcm in August to £1200pcm in Jan!  In a relatively small 1930s suburbia house that is quite the jump!
    Thats bonkers and no way correct. Even if I still had my old 1960's boiler which in Dec 21/Jan 22 was costing around £250 a month during the coldest spell wouldn't get to that (5 bed house).

I'd certainly be looking though at the equipment you have. I spent 8k ish on all new plumbing, boiler etc, but reckon I'm saving on average £800-£1k a year on current prices, maybe more, probably double that next year!

Radiators also, Ali one's are far far better but pricey for decent one's.

I cant believe it is correct. 4 bed semi in suburbia.  Rads/Boiler 10yrs old.  New windows. Decent insulation for what it is.  Reckon my neighbour must be wiring through to our house (or maybe the whole street!).  Or Octopus Energy were trying to scare me into saving up now!
  • Options
    We should have massive Govt investment in becoming fuel sufficient through a mix of ways but ultimately as an island we must have a huge natural advantage of we can harness wave and wind power.  There will be huge wind farms built off the coast on the North Sea where wind rages in coming years which will generate tons... But then you have all the increasing needs from electric cars and every other appliance.
  • Options
    Athletico  have you got one of them blow up hot tubs I had one and the thermostat I think packed in so it was heating the water all the time.my bills went to about £300 a month this is couple of years back. When electric was cheaper. Think you can get something on Amazon to plug in your socket which will tell you how much electric an item like hot tub dishwasher fridge  ect is using so you can find if a appliance is faulty and using to much energy. 
  • Options
    I was getting at the government or governments  have failed to do it over the past years.debates on what sort of power should we have nuclear should we shit down old coal power stations should we have fracking. 

If you want something instant Cafcfsn1990 I suggest maybe you move into a shell 24 hour garage and eat their food if your that starving 

You do realise that what you’re proposing will take years and years to get off the ground and will be of no help whatsoever this coming winter. That’s not to say you’re wrong but you’re talking about something completely different to what’s required in the coming months. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

You were talking present sense, “instead of giving handouts”. What they should have done in the past simply doesn’t help now. Of course that doesn’t mean things shouldn’t be done to improve things in the future, but that’s in addition, not instead of, “handouts now” to help people survive. 
  • Options
    Is the energy cap there for the consumer or supplier if it’s for the consumer then surely the cap should be going down so people can afford to pay there bills 
  • Options
    Is the energy cap there for the consumer or supplier if it’s for the consumer then surely the cap should be going down so people can afford to pay there bills 
    It was for consumers, from recent announcements it’s about protecting the firms left and stopping them going out of business
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    It was for consumers, from recent announcements it’s about protecting the firms left and stopping them going out of business
    We probably need something in the middle, of the French model of starving the energy supplier and our model of protecting the energy supplier (reluctant to say starving the consumer).
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Rob7Lee said:
    With the real potential of there being 'fuel' shortages this winter/January, maybe the government are foreseeing that and hoping people use less (because they can't afford to)...........
    Quite possible, plus if the government say don't worry everyone we'll bail you out, a lot of people won't be saving up (if they could) for when the cost goes up again.
    Not that I agree with that possible strategy.
  • Options
    Energy boss on this morning's 'Wake Up To Money' says appreciable money can be saved by simply adjusting your boiler flow temperature.  Good explanation here.

https://www.theheatinghub.co.uk/articles/turn-down-the-boiler-flow-temperature
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    With the real potential of there being 'fuel' shortages this winter/January, maybe the government are foreseeing that and hoping people use less (because they can't afford to)...........
    Quite possible, plus if the government say don't worry everyone we'll bail you out, a lot of people won't be saving up (if they could) for when the cost goes up again.
    Not that I agree with that possible strategy.
    I think there will be millions of households that can’t better budget than they already are. They need to know pdq what they can expect by way of help. Sitting here in the summer it’s actually quite difficult to imagine what a cold house feels like. People not turning on the heating is frankly not acceptable.
  • Options
    Energy boss on this morning's 'Wake Up To Money' says appreciable money can be saved by simply adjusting your boiler flow temperature.  Good explanation here.

Thanks for sharing. We need to hear more grown up stuff like this rather than people banging on about civil unrest.
  • Options

Thanks for sharing. We need to hear more grown up stuff like this rather than people banging on about civil unrest.
    It doesn't help everyone, I live in a rented house with a boiler that is about 30 years old.

Fortunately our price is fixed until June 2023 so we won't feel the full impact until next year, but there are millions who live in properties with old heating systems and don't have the funds to pay these unbelievable increases.
  • Options

It doesn't help everyone, I live in a rented house with a boiler that is about 30 years old.

Fortunately our price is fixed until June 2023 so we won't feel the full impact until next year, but there are millions who live in properties with old heating systems and don't have the funds to pay these unbelievable increases.

But it will help some - I think that's the point.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There's only so much people can do for the rise this winter. What happens when the prices inevitably go up again early next year? There won't be any wriggle room left for many people.
  • Options

If that boiler was to accidentally break beyond repair wouldn’t your landperson have to replace it…?
  • Options
    WSS said:

If that boiler was to accidentally break beyond repair wouldn’t your landperson have to replace it…?
    We actually have a very good landlady, she doesn't increase the rent by an excessive amount each year (although it is quite high), she fully insulated the loft last year and always does any repairs very quickly . She knows we are good tenants and it is a two way thing.  Having experienced terrible landlords at our last 2 rental properties, we are grateful to have a good landlady this time.
  • Options

Because the grid would fall over mate. There isnt the infrastucture to cope and tbh the DNO's (district network operators) are in no rush to upgrade it
  • Options
    Solar and battery storage would mean the grid could cope absolutely fine
  • Options
    WSS said:

We actually have a very good landlady, she doesn't increase the rent by an excessive amount each year (although it is quite high), she fully insulated the loft last year and always does any repairs very quickly . She knows we are good tenants and it is a two way thing.  Having experienced terrible landlords at our last 2 rental properties, we are grateful to have a good landlady this time.
    Amazed it isn’t illegal to have a 30 year old boiler in a rented property. 
  • Options
    I may have missed it somewhere either on the news or on this thread but while I can understand the gas prices going up what is driving the electricity price up also?

• Options
    I may have missed it somewhere either on the news or on this thread but while I can understand the gas prices going up what is driving the electricity price up also?

I think alot of electricity is generated by gas power stations.
  • Options
    WSS said:

Amazed it isn’t illegal to have a 30 year old boiler in a rented property. 
    It is tested every year.
  • Options
    So Johnson and Zahawi met with 15 energy company bosses today and after the meeting no solutions to the energy price crisis were found. Just wtf.