Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Energy Bills

Comments

• Options
    ROTW said:
    We can't keep kicking the Climate Change can down the road. If we don't change to greener forms of energy our situation is only going to get worse.
    Anyone else getting the sense here that @ME14addick might be gluing herself to a road in the near future?

Possibly the M20 as a double protest?
  • Options
    It may even be too late already. Agree, it can't be kicked down the road. 
    It will be kicked down the road and by all governments around the world. Too many people making money out of the petro chemical and energy industries. I have no doubt it’s going to take a climate disaster, killing hundreds of thousands of people in one of the major cities of the world before governments wake up and by then it’ll be way too late. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    ROTW said:
    We can't keep kicking the Climate Change can down the road. If we don't change to greener forms of energy our situation is only going to get worse.
    Anyone else getting the sense here that @ME14addick might be gluing herself to a road in the near future?

Classy

1 - bit of cyber bullying 
    2 - playing down seriousness of climate change issue 

You are better than that
  • Options
    It may even be too late already. Agree, it can't be kicked down the road. 
    It will be kicked down the road and by all governments around the world. Too many people making money out of the petro chemical and energy industries. I have no doubt it’s going to take a climate disaster, killing hundreds of thousands of people in one of the major cities of the world before governments wake up and by then it’ll be way too late. 
    it'll be the mass migrations that will really be the nail in the climate denier conservative coffin. Although in likelihood they'll praise god that the apocalypse is finally here.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    ROTW said:

If we had moved away from fossil fuels earlier and spent more on greener forms of energy, we wouldn't be suffering the huge rise in energy costs that we see now.
  • Options
    Speaking to someone who runs a powder painting company, gas bill used to be £4K a month, now £12k, not great for a sme.
  • Options
    Here is my reality kicking in…. £819 a year to £315 a month…
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    I did see something sent in jest today, suggesting that perhaps instead of giving the energy companies more money, we should stand outside our house every Thursday evening and give them a nice round of applause. I mean if it’s good enough for the NHS.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    ROTW said:

Classy

You are better than that
    Wow, really?

"Cyber bullying"? "Playing down the seriousness of climate change"? Not sure how you work that out.

Unless I've got my posters mixed up (which is possible) I thought @ME14addick was the lady who was previously a dyed-in-the-wool Tory voter but has had an about face in the past couple of years and now hates them and actively discourages people from voting for them. She also, I believe, lives in Kent and is very vocal about the ridiculous arrangements they wheel out for using the M20 as a lorry park.

All I was doing was commenting on her spectacular journey from Daily Mail reader to full on eco-warrior with a tongue in cheek comment about her next step possibly being gluing herself to the M20 as a double protest. Perhaps it was just too subtle on my part and came across not as intended. 

If @ME14addick was offended by my comments then I wholeheartedly apologise.

However, you don't need to feel obliged to apologise to me for jumping to the wrong conclusions as, to be completely honest, I really don't care what you think. But I don't want to cause offence where it wasn't intended, so I hope that clears things up.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    ROTW said:

Classy

You are better than that
    Wow, really?

"Cyber bullying"? "Playing down the seriousness of climate change"? Not sure how you work that out.

Unless I've got my posters mixed up (which is possible) I thought @ME14addick was the lady who was previously a dyed-in-the-wool Tory voter but has had an about face in the past couple of years and now hates them and actively discourages people from voting for them. She also, I believe, lives in Kent and is very vocal about the ridiculous arrangements they wheel out for using the M20 as a lorry park.

All I was doing was commenting on her spectacular journey from Daily Mail reader to full on eco-warrior with a tongue in cheek comment about her next step possibly being gluing herself to the M20 as a double protest. Perhaps it was just too subtle on my part and came across not as intended. 

However, you don't need to feel obliged to apologise to me for jumping to the wrong conclusions as, to be completely honest, I really don't care what you think. But I don't want to cause offence where it wasn't intended, so I hope that clears things up.
    I am the person you speak of @Off_it and you describe me very well, gluing my hands to the M20 is however a step too far, even for me :)

I'm not offended but thank you @Siv_in_Norfolk for defending me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2022
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    ROTW said:

Classy

You are better than that
    Wow, really?

I am the person you speak of @Off_it and you describe me very well, gluing my hands to the M20 is however a step too far, even for me :)

I'm not offended but thank you @Siv_in_Norfolk for defending me.

Thanks @ME14addick.

But who said anything about it being your hands you were gonna glue to the tarmac?!
    ;-)
  • Options
    Here is my reality kicking in…. £819 a year to £315 a month…
    Ask the cost of their variable capped rate, which in almost all cases is currently cheaper than any fixed rates.
  • Options
    Stupid question.

If global warming causes an increase in the temperature of the ocean, shouldn't we be focussing on energy systems which utilise the power of the sea?

In that way, as we take energy out (so, sea turbines, not those pathetic wind things with their limited capacity), the sea temperature drops.

Too simple?
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    Stupid question.

If global warming causes an increase in the temperature of the ocean, shouldn't we be focussing on energy systems which utilise the power of the sea?

In that way, as we take energy out (so, sea turbines, not those pathetic wind things with their limited capacity), the sea temperature drops.

Too simple?
    We should have been doing things like that for the past 20 years.

Right now - too expensive.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Dave Rudd said:
    Stupid question.

Too simple?
    yes, it's exactly what we should be doing. However it would cost billions upon billions along with being a highly dangerous job before a single turbine is turned once - i don't think it's really feasible to do... yet.
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    Stupid question.

Too simple?
    there is this .. and the technology will become more and more common .. This Scottish tidal power project has generated record levels of electricity and is opening up new possibilities for renewable energy | World Economic Forum (weforum.org)
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    Stupid question.

Too simple?
    They are really expensive to construct and there aren't that many places which are suitable. You are wrong about wind farm capacity too. The biggest wind farm in the UK has 5 times a much capacity (c. 1,250MW) as the world's biggest tidal generator (c. 250MW). We are building one in Scotland which will have a capacity of about 350 MW. By comparison Hinkley Point C (nuclear) will have a capacity of about 3,200MW when it's built. We currently have total wind farm capacity of 26,000 MW providing about 25% of our electricity and the new round of leases will provide anothe 7,000 MW. 

Tidal should definately be a part of the mix but will only ever be a very, very small part. It just doesn't generate that much electricity. Wind, solar and (controversially) nuclear are much better. 

And tidal generators have no effect on sea tempratures. They use the kinetic energy of the movement of the water, they don't suck out energy from the water.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Jints said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Stupid question.

Too simple?
    They are really expensive to construct and there aren't that many places which are suitable. You are wrong about wind farm capacity too. The biggest wind farm in the UK has 5 times a much capacity (c. 1,250MW) as the world's biggest tidal generator (c. 250MW). We are building one in Scotland which will have a capacity of about 350 MW. By comparison Hinkley Point C (nuclear) will have a capacity of about 3,200MW when it's built. We currently have total wind farm capacity of 26,000 MW providing about 25% of our electricity and the new round of leases will provide anothe 7,000 MW. 

Tidal should definately be a part of the mix but will only ever be a very, very small part. It just doesn't generate that much electricity. Wind, solar and (controversially) nuclear are much better. 

And tidal generators have no effect on sea tempratures. They use the kinetic energy of the movement of the water, they don't suck out energy from the water.
    Sounds like you know a bit about this industry, so I will defer to your superior knowledge ... but ...

There aren't that many suitable places for sea turbines?  Umm ... how about in the sea.  Of which we have quite a lot.  We must be more limited in terms of location and numbers with wind turbines.

Capacity at present presumably reflects the level of investment in the two types.  I see no obvious reason why sea turbines cannot be improved and/or increased in number to change the " very, very small" contribution of sea turbines that you refer to.  Also, sea motion is guaranteed at all times.  Wind?  Maybe, if you are lucky and if you are in the right place.

And now to the Physics.  Are you really telling me, if we could move significant quantities of energy from the sea (taking advantage of its kinetic energy), that the sea temperature would be unaffected and that we would simply end up with a World of calm oceans all at the same temperature as now.  I don't think so ... we have winds which would continually create turbulence in the oceans.  The kinetic energy of the sea is renewable ... ironically partly via the winds that we would no longer need to harness.  And these winds are generated as sea temperature changes.

I accept that we are behind where we should be in terms of sea turbine development.  The concepts and the prototypes have been around for many years, but it seems to me to be a sensible strategy irrespective of cost. 

How much is the Earth worth?
  • Options
    Not an expert but I do a bit of legal work around infrastructure planning so I follow this stuff. I think we may be talking about two different things. I was talking about tidal generators which use the movement of water created by tides to generate electricity. It sounds like you may be talking about enrgy generated by waves. That can be anywhere there are wind generated waves (provided you can connect to the grid and subject to the effects on marine life) and there's lots of potential in terms of capacity but the technology is really in its infancy and its not expected that wave generation will provide a meaningful contribution towards net zero until 2050. Unlike tidal, there's no guarantee of constant generation as you still need the wind to blow and waves to form.  
  • Options
    Jints said:
    Not an expert but I do a bit of legal work around infrastructure planning so I follow this stuff. I think we may be talking about two different things. I was talking about tidal generators which use the movement of water created by tides to generate electricity. It sounds like you may be talking about enrgy generated by waves. That can be anywhere there are wind generated waves (provided you can connect to the grid and subject to the effects on marine life) and there's lots of potential in terms of capacity but the technology is really in its infancy and its not expected that wave generation will provide a meaningful contribution towards net zero until 2050. Unlike tidal, there's no guarantee of constant generation as you still need the wind to blow and waves to form.  
    That makes a lot more sense to me, @Jints.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2022
    I still think the price cap will be frozen at the current level. It is just suicide for the Government to not do anything when both opposition parties have set out plans showing they would do it and indeed how it could be done.
  • Options
    I still think the price cap will be frozen at the current level. It is just suicide for the Government to not do anything when both opposition parties have set out plans how they would do it and indeed how it could be done.
    The government are taking the piss.
    Coming to the end of August and there are no plans as to deal with the energy crisis if there is no bail out.
    Myself I will be having the heating on when I want even if I cant afford the heating.
    I would then pay that off to what I could afford a month.
    There are though tens if not hundreds of thousands of people out there that if they cant afford it wont put the heating on.
    Plans should be put in place for people to go for some warmth when they need it.
    Complete joke and why I will never vote for a main political again in my life.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    People will die if the Government doesn't act. Also inflation is likely to baloon further and a big recession would be more likely. I think they will announce the increased cap and either promise to stick to that through the winter and spring or even go back to the current one as presentationally it will look better.

It is inconceivable they just leave it as it is.
  • Options
    People died because of decisions the government made during covid, I’m not sure they are too worried, they will see it as a saving in state pensions.
  • Options
    People died because of decisions the government made during covid, I’m not sure they are too worried, they will see it as a saving in state pensions.
    They are still making those bad decisions, see my post on the Coronavirus thread.
  • Options
    I still think the price cap will be frozen at the current level. It is just suicide for the Government to not do anything when both opposition parties have set out plans how they would do it and indeed how it could be done.
    perhaps a (say) 10% rise in the cap would be bearable by the 'average consumer' .. I agree that the cap should be frozen, however this is just NOT going to happen as the government can't control the price being demanded by the energy producers .. all the govt can do is to grant money to help pay bills, this will either be money from taxation or borrowing
  • Options
    Boris Johnson has come out and said we all have to pay for Putin's invasion and indeed Ukrainians are paying in blood. But hang on, what are the energy companies and their shareholders making record profits paying in? Record profits can be the only answer. 
    this is a lame duck PM, an attention seeker and serial liar/bullshitter going for international applause .. I don't believe, if the 'average member of the British public' was asked to tell the truth, they would be cheering for Johnson's policy. They might have great sympathy for the Ukrainian people but subsidising their fight through 100% fuel price increases ?, I don't think so