Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Energy Bills

Comments

• Options
    So Johnson and Zahawi met with 15 energy company bosses today and after the meeting no solutions to the energy price crisis were found. Just wtf.
    They don't care and bills are now predicted to be over 5K from January. 
  • Options
    I don’t believe that there will be that many people refusing to pay their monthly direct debits but I do believe that there will be a lot of people who won’t have the money to pay. A not too subtle difference. I still can’t believe that the government won’t at least double the current help.
  • Options
    I may have missed it somewhere either on the news or on this thread but while I can understand the gas prices going up what is driving the electricity price up also?

I think alot of electricity is generated by gas power stations.
    Yeah, about 50%. More renewables = lower electricity prices
  • Options
    I mentioned this months back, but perhaps it is time to revisit, should winter EFL games be put back to kick off at 2pm to reduce use of floodlights and our national energy usage?
    I think that’s a very valid point. Would anyone have an idea what a floodlit game costs in terms of electricity?
  • Options
    I mentioned this months back, but perhaps it is time to revisit, should winter EFL games be put back to kick off at 2pm to reduce use of floodlights and our national energy usage?
    I think that’s a banging suggestion. Another grown up suggestion. Keep them coming 👍
  • Options
    I thought the floodlights had to be on for an entire game, even if they’re only needed for one half, so that each team has the same quality of light? Forgive me if that’s wrong, but I’m sure I heard that before.
  • Options
    Ross said:
    I thought the floodlights had to be on for an entire game, even if they’re only needed for one half, so that each team has the same quality of light? Forgive me if that’s wrong, but I’m sure I heard that before.
    Honestly I have no idea, but on the face of it seems like an easy win
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    I’m sure that I’ve been to games where the floods came on at halftime.
  • Options
    The super soar away Sun recently reported that running flood lights in League 1 and 2 would double to £100,000.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/19229446/efl-crisis-floodlights-costs-doubling/

Hope Charlton don't tweak it down

In order to assess the lux value, a series of 88 readings must be taken with a light meter on a grid pattern set out on the pitch at approximately 10 metres apart. The light meter must be placed on a horizontal plane at pitch level and the average of all the readings is taken to be the average lux value of the floodlights.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’m assuming the lux value at The Valley is Championship standard ?
  • Options
    Loads of clubs outside the top half of the championship are running old fashion lighting systems, it won’t hurt most of the Premier League as they run on LED lighting at a fraction of the cost to light the place up
  • Options
    Ross said:
    I honestly haven't noticed that. 
  • Options
    No brainier decision IMO. 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
  • Options
    I think 10,000 people sitting in the cold keeping themselves warm and "sharing" the floodlights is much better than 10,000 people sitting at home watching TV with the lights and heating on!

This would just be one of those propaganda exercises to make people feel something was being "done". 
  • Options
    I think 10,000 people sitting in the cold keeping themselves warm and "sharing" the floodlights is much better than 10,000 people sitting at home watching TV with the lights and heating on!

This would just be one of those propaganda exercises to make people feel something was being "done". 
    So all those10,000 people live alone and don’t have family at home not attending ?
  • Options

I would think clubs would prefer not to have the cost of using the floodlights let alone saving precious resource for the wider good.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2022
    Just phoned up Octopus energy to ask if I’m on their ‘best rate’ they said I am (its a flexible rate) I asked if their was a fixed rate I could go on , they said it would cost £18500 a year 3 times my current rate  :#

Anyone on here changed their energy supplier recently on a comparison website?
  • Options
    Compare the Meerkat not offering any fixed ‘dual’ fuel deals at the moment.

Money Supermarket cheapest offer was £3 a month less than I’m paying, I thought it’s not worth the hassle as I’ve never heard of them.

Hopefully my gas consumption will fall as we’ve had our aga (came with the house) taken out, all the while energy was relatively cheap it wasn’t too bad but not it’s mad prices!

I guess if Sky doubled / trebled in price I’d bin that as well!
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Energy boss on this morning's 'Wake Up To Money' says appreciable money can be saved by simply adjusting your boiler flow temperature.  Good explanation here.

https://www.theheatinghub.co.uk/articles/turn-down-the-boiler-flow-temperature
    I did this at the start of the year and more than anything, I enjoy the fact that the radiators aren't boiling hot, once the room reaches heat it isn't a constant case of too hot then too cold, but a consistent temperature because the flow temp is lower. 

Basically, saving or no saving, it's a lot nicer to live in a home with the radiators on for longer, at a lower temperature!
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    Energy boss on this morning's 'Wake Up To Money' says appreciable money can be saved by simply adjusting your boiler flow temperature.  Good explanation here.

I did this at the start of the year and more than anything, I enjoy the fact that the radiators aren't boiling hot, once the room reaches heat it isn't a constant case of too hot then too cold, but a consistent temperature because the flow temp is lower. 

Basically, saving or no saving, it's a lot nicer to live in a home with the radiators on for longer, at a lower temperature!
    Exactly the point of heat pumps mate
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

Just remember if the flow is also heating your hot water it needs to be at a certain temp.
  • Options
    Just phoned up Octopus energy to ask if I’m on their ‘best rate’ they said I am (its a flexible rate) I asked if their was a fixed rate I could go on , they said it would cost £18500 a year 3 times my current rate  :#

Anyone on here changed their energy supplier recently on a comparison website?
    No, because there is no benefit in doing so (at present).
    The cheapest rate is the variable capped rate & all companies are or should be the same.
  • Options
    There is a lot of talk of helping the poor here, which I support totally. But it is very important that the middle class get respite from the Tsunami approaching. If people are spending too much of their income on this, it will effect the economy as they won't spend it elsewhere, and create a serious recession.

Very good point. People will have to choose between say energy and eating out as often as they normally would so cut down on going out, which leads to economic downturn, job losses etc. The Government needs to do something and I’m sure they will but will it be enough.
    I think we are well beyond this point for many households. Currently there are millions already in fuel poverty. Many are making the decision between buying energy or whether to eat. At all. Not cutting down on takeaways or meals out.

This situation shames the country and should lead to a fundamental shift in the basic economic model that has allowed this to develop. But it won't. 

I like you
  • Options
    MrWalker said:
    Someone's got to pay the bill.

"May 2022, the average wholesale electricity price in France stood at 197.5 euros per megawatt-hour, an increase of roughly 257 percent compared to the same month a year prior. March 2022 saw the peak electricity price in the period of consideration, at more than 295 euros per megawatt-hour. In the past year, electricity prices in France soared, the consequence of an energy supply shortage which severely impacted Europe."
    Statista

Won't be too dissimilar to what we've seen here.

I'm all for renewable energy, but let me tell you when the wind ain't blowing that's when the grid balancers cheque books start to come out to get the less environmentally accepted assets up and running to get them out of the shit.
    We are heavily reliant on wind energy in this country now
    So we need investment- preferably govt - in solar and hydro,too
  • Options
    can some one explain to me why prices are going up, when large companies are making record profits? Surely the opposite would be true - their profits would be going down, forcing them to raise the price? What's going on? Some one explain like i'm 5.
    I skimmed over an article earlier that said they aren't making huge profits from wholesale energy/gas prices and are, in fact, seeing huge profits from exploratory work (or somesuch). Can I find the article now? Nope.
    Either way, if they weren't private companies with shareholders to please, they would be "robbing Peter to pay Paul", so to speak.

• Options
    ads said:
    It’s a bizarre scenario I’m finding myself in. I have smart meters for both gas and electricity. I’m still 13 months away from my fixed price deal ending. Yesterday Shell e mailed me to say that based on my consumption and projection for next 13 months, my direct debit was reducing from £167 per month to £141 per month. All good. What I’d really prefer to do is continue paying £167 for the remainder of the contract and build up some credit which might take some of the sting out of what’s going to hit me in 13 months. Apparently that’s not doable. 
    Can’t you just make a one off payment to your account?
    When I phoned Shell they said that I couldn’t pay in excess of my projected useage based on my smart meter readings. I’m now paying £50 a month into a separate account and will let that build up and make a payment once my fixed rate deal ends in 12 and half months time.
    When I phoned Shell I asked them why they are capitalising on a war and bragging about record profits while people are struggling.  He palmed it off with the usual bullshit about different arms of the business.  wankers
    That is what BBW was referring to