Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Energy Bills

Comments

• Options
    Boris Johnson has come out and said we all have to pay for Putin's invasion and indeed Ukrainians are paying in blood. But hang on, what are the energy companies and their shareholders making record profits paying in? Record profits can be the only answer. 
    this is a lame duck PM, an attention seeker and serial liar/bullshitter going for international applause .. I don't believe, if the 'average member of the British public' was asked to tell the truth, they would be cheering for Johnson's policy. They might have great sympathy for the Ukrainian people but subsidising their fight through 100% fuel price increases ?, I don't think so
    it's also quite possible to fund their fight whilst also keeping a cap on fuel prices and briefly subsidising energy suppliers.
  • Options
    Forward planning re saving money this winter by the Isthmian League 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-62658280
  • Options
    Of course it is possible. It is a crisis and you have to act on a crisis.
  • Options
    Boris Johnson has come out and said we all have to pay for Putin's invasion and indeed Ukrainians are paying in blood. But hang on, what are the energy companies and their shareholders making record profits paying in? Record profits can be the only answer. 
    I heard on the Radio BG are putting 10% of profits back to help the most needy customers.

Can't help but think this is the Tories way of managing usage over winter!
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    I heard on the Radio BG are putting 10% of profits back to help the most needy customers.

not to be TOO cynical .. BG is the retail arm of Centrica and it's profits are 'small' compared to Centrica's.
    The BBC this a.m. estimated 10% would be around £12 Million, useful, BUT in the big scheme, a few pence in the piggy bank
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Rob7Lee said:

Only 10% of profits from customers' bills which is less than the profits the crisis has given them.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

not to be TOO cynical .. BG is the retail arm of Centrica and it's profits are 'small' compared to Centrica's.
    The BBC this a.m. estimated 10% would be around £12 Million, useful, BUT in the big scheme, a few pence in the piggy bank
    25p each! That'll save us all.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

25p each! That'll save us all.
    exactly
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    We all can do as @clb74 suggests and put the heating on as required and pay it off over time and that’s one way of doing it but it’s building up a significant debt and I for one don’t fancy going down that route. I also don’t fancy joining the don’t pay movement for similar reasons and although we’re told we won’t be cut off we are threatened with having prepayment meters installed, although quite how they fit potentially hundreds of thousands isn’t clear. The group with no choices though are those who are already using prepayment meters who in the vast majority of cases are already at the poorer end of society. They cannot choose any of the above and either put money on their prepayment key or card ? or freeze. Many simply won’t have the available cash to do it. What then ? The eat or heat scenario will be very real and totally unacceptable in a country like the U.K. I agree with @MuttleyCAFC in that the government simply have no alternative but to act and act in a way that guarantees that the cap effectively remains where it is. Quite how that’s done will no doubt be about as convoluted as possible.  It’s going to cost £100 billion to do it. That £30 billion more than Covid furlough. What’s the alternative?
  • Options
    Yes, they will try to do it differently than Labour or the Lib Dems as that is the sort of crap politics is all about. But importantly they will find the money. If they don't they will be finished as people start to really suffer. They know that as well as we do. I keep telling my mother that and there is another issue in all the worry out there that could have been mitigated by now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes, they will try to do it differently than Labour or the Lib Dems as that is the sort of crap politics is all about. But importantly they will find the money. If they don't they will be finished as people start to really suffer. They know that as well as we do. I keep telling my mother that and there is another issue in all the worry out there that could have been mitigated by now.
    I do wonder though if the government will allow tomorrows cap increase to go ahead and then freeze it there. Would still be nowhere near acceptable but the cynic in me wonders why Johnson has suddenly stuck his head above the parapet and told us we all need to suck up the energy crisis. Easier now for him than either Sunak or Truss to say it. Would allow the energy companies to carry on with their profits and allow the government to say they’re doing something. That’s not enough though is it.
  • Options
    The new leader will want to announce the news and not have us told about it before they are announced. Who cares if people are at their wits end with worry. Well they don't.
  • Options
    We all can do as @clb74 suggests and put the heating on as required and pay it off over time and that’s one way of doing it but it’s building up a significant debt and I for one don’t fancy going down that route. I also don’t fancy joining the don’t pay movement for similar reasons and although we’re told we won’t be cut off we are threatened with having prepayment meters installed, although quite how they fit potentially hundreds of thousands isn’t clear. The group with no choices though are those who are already using prepayment meters who in the vast majority of cases are already at the poorer end of society. They cannot choose any of the above and either put money on their prepayment key or card ? or freeze. Many simply won’t have the available cash to do it. What then ? The eat or heat scenario will be very real and totally unacceptable in a country like the U.K. I agree with @MuttleyCAFC in that the government simply have no alternative but to act and act in a way that guarantees that the cap effectively remains where it is. Quite how that’s done will no doubt be about as convoluted as possible.  It’s going to cost £100 billion to do it. That £30 billion more than Covid furlough. What’s the alternative?
    Doesn't this presuppose that bills will go down so significantly at some point in the future that sufficient headroom will be created to pay off the debt accrued over the next year or two? Many are already beyond this point already. 

They will go down a bit of course, but I've zero confidence they will simply revert to anything close to what they are now. That would require levels of market intervention that this government is ideologically opposed to.

In the meantime many more people, than already do, will die or suffer serious health issues as a result of fuel poverty. 
  • Options
    Yep. Has to be the current cap or small increase on it. I'm very worrried about how its going to be funded particualrly if help is also going to be given to businesses. Some of it will have to be from borrowing but there must be a limit on how much we can borrow without pushing down sterling and increasing inflation further. I think there really ought be be tax increases for those of us in the top 10% income bracket but can't see the present Government signing off on that.  
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Truss will hold a “fiscal event” which circumnavigates the need for the announcement to be officially costed and scrutinised. She’ll offer something to mitigate the cost of energy but is vehemently opposed to “handouts” as she condescendingly calls them. There is also the no small matter of the promised pension triple lock. Increase likely to look like 12% (?) by November when it’s calculated. I think she’ll bring forward the pension increase to October  but based on the then inflation rate. Can she risk the triple lock inflation rate not being 16 / 17% by November. There is so little scope for manoeuvre and we’re going to see a lot of smoke and mirrors.
  • Options
    Im buying the Mrs a mink onesie Still be cheaper than the gas bill 
  • Options
    Truss will hold a “fiscal event” which circumnavigates the need for the announcement to be officially costed and scrutinised. She’ll offer something to mitigate the cost of energy but is vehemently opposed to “handouts” as she condescendingly calls them. There is also the no small matter of the promised pension triple lock. Increase likely to look like 12% (?) by November when it’s calculated. I think she’ll bring forward the pension increase to October  but based on the then inflation rate. Can she risk the triple lock inflation rate not being 16 / 17% by November. There is so little scope for manoeuvre and we’re going to see a lot of smoke and mirrors.
    No great surprise that pensioners are immune to the crackdown on inflationary 'pay' increases, given that ~70% of them vote tory. What's that word I'm looking for? Starts with a 'b', rhymes with tribe...
  • Options
    Rizzo said:
    No great surprise that pensioners are immune to the crackdown on inflationary 'pay' increases, given that ~70% of them vote tory. What's that word I'm looking for? Starts with a 'b', rhymes with tribe...
    70% of pensioners vote Tory. 
    Is this a guess or a fact.
  • Options
    Rizzo said:
    67% of 70 year+ at the last election according to yougov but it was Labour who introduced the triple lock I think and they have never campaigned to end it.
  • Options
    Jints said:
    Rizzo said:
    67% of 70 year+ at the last election according to yougov but it was Labour who introduced the triple lock I think and they have never campaigned to end it.
    In that case any party who campaign's to remove the triple lock will lose the pensioners vote.si I reckon it will remain. 
    Good luck for the pensioners. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jints said:
    Rizzo said:
    In that case any party who campaign's to remove the triple lock will lose the pensioners vote.si I reckon it will remain. 
    Good luck for the pensioners. 
    I agree - at least while the old vote in much greater numbers than the young.
  • Options
    Jints said:
    Rizzo said:
    Yes:

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    Jints said:
    Rizzo said:
    Yes:

The saying people get more sensible as they get older is clearly defined here 😜
  • Options
    Rizzo said:
    clb74 said:
    I still think the price cap will be frozen at the current level. It is just suicide for the Government to not do anything when both opposition parties have set out plans how they would do it and indeed how it could be done.
    The government are taking the piss.
    Coming to the end of August and there are no plans as to deal with the energy crisis if there is no bail out.
    Myself I will be having the heating on when I want even if I cant afford the heating.
    I would then pay that off to what I could afford a month.
    There are though tens if not hundreds of thousands of people out there that if they cant afford it wont put the heating on.
    Plans should be put in place for people to go for some warmth when they need it.
    Complete joke and why I will never vote for a main political again in my life.
    It's not 'main political (I assume) parties' though, is it? It's just the fucking tories. Labour and the Lib Dems have both put out plans to tackle the crisis. 
    Green party Rizzo.
    Labour and lib dems can put out what ever plans they want, but there not the ones making the decisions.
    I'd happily have a pound bet that the main parties in the past have put forward proposals for them not to materialise.
  • Options
    They certainly become more reactionary. 
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Rizzo said:
    clb74 said:
    I still think the price cap will be frozen at the current level. It is just suicide for the Government to not do anything when both opposition parties have set out plans how they would do it and indeed how it could be done.
    The government are taking the piss.
    Coming to the end of August and there are no plans as to deal with the energy crisis if there is no bail out.
    Myself I will be having the heating on when I want even if I cant afford the heating.
    I would then pay that off to what I could afford a month.
    There are though tens if not hundreds of thousands of people out there that if they cant afford it wont put the heating on.
    Plans should be put in place for people to go for some warmth when they need it.
    Complete joke and why I will never vote for a main political again in my life.
    It's not 'main political (I assume) parties' though, is it? It's just the fucking tories. Labour and the Lib Dems have both put out plans to tackle the crisis. 
    Green party Rizzo.
    Labour and lib dems can put out what ever plans they want, but there not the ones making the decisions.
    I'd happily have a pound bet that the main parties in the past have put forward proposals for them not to materialise.
    It’s easy politicking though for opposition parties. Tories are on the ropes over this crisis and it’s a no win situation for them really. Inflation running in the teens this and the majority at best of next year. Labour or Lib Dems saying they would do x or y is a free hit and what they have said is exactly what people worried about their bills want to hear. A free hit with no consequences. 
  • Options
    Maybe all MPs of all parties should revert to WFH as they did in Covid times give up their second homes which we pay for including energy bills and lead by example 

Of course it’s peanuts in the grand scheme but it doesn’t sit right that they are insulated from these cost rises in part at the taxpayer expense when we have proven alternative ways of working. 
  • Options
    Maybe all MPs of all parties should revert to WFH as they did in Covid times give up their second homes which we pay for including energy bills and lead by example 

Of course it’s peanuts in the grand scheme but it doesn’t sit right that they are insulated from these cost rises in part at the taxpayer expense when we have proven alternative ways of working. 
    We need MP’s in the HoC not at home. 
  • Options

Why? Seriously they can debate and consult remotely. The childishness which is PMQs is an example of how poor they all are. 

As I said it’s peanuts but it does grate that those expenses will be met by the taxpayer. 
  • Options

Why? Seriously they can debate and consult remotely. The childishness which is PMQs is an example of how poor they all are. 

As I said it’s peanuts but it does grate that those expenses will be met by the taxpayer. 
    Then address the expenses not the ability of our representatives to do their jobs effectively.