Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Cheltenham Town | Saturday 11 September 2021 | Match Preview

Comments

• Options
    In the space of 3 weeks we've gone from having a rubbish bench with no options to change things up, to a mini Ipswich situation, where we have a LOT of options and new players to integrate. For that reason I expect Adkins to be cautious with changing the team too quickly.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I think he will want to play the players he has had 2 weeks with on the training ground.  Intresting that Papa was spotted playing for the u23s against the first team.  That makes me think Purrington will be fit and play.

MacGillivray

Matthews - Innis - Famewo - Purrington 

Watson - Morgan

DJ        -            Lee              -   Kirk

Stockley

Clean sheet number 3, Kirk off the mark and a brace from Stockley. 
    I expect a similar team to that. Maybe Gunter if Purrington isn't fully fit.
  • Options
    Surprised how many are happy to drop the first goalscorer (who was most people's MOM) in our last game, which is also our only league win of the season so far.
  • Options
    My team...

-----------MacGillivray

Matthews - Inniss - Famewo - Purrington/Souare (whoever is most fit)

---------Watson - Morgan

------Jaiyesimi - Lee - Kirk

-------------Stockley

Subs: Henderson, Gunter, Lavelle, Arter, Clare, Leko, Washington
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    Imagine signing those new players and still picking Watson
    Why?  
  • Options
    Arter can't play because he hasn't even trained with cafc as he's been away with the ROI squad. 

It seems so unusual that we have choices;
    Competition has to raise the quality.
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    Got a spare in the NU if anyone wants it, £10 donation to either upbeats or my next charity run would be lovely though x 
    Have pm'd you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    shine166 said:
    Got a spare in the NU if anyone wants it, £10 donation to either upbeats or my next charity run would be lovely though x 
    Have pm'd you.
    Sorted 
  • Options
    Great preview as always @ForeverAddickted

Thoroughly enjoyed all the puns! 

Late decision to go to the game, so looking forward to it. We played some lovely attacking football at times against Crewe, and with the additions since, that is hopefully here to stay. 
  • Options
    TS is back on Friday so guess that some of the new signings will play, guess Lee & Souare will give us a 2-0
  • Options
    Innis V Lavelle
    Gunter V Purrington V Souare
    Washington V Lee 
    DJ V Kirk V Leko

What a nice problem to have.

I dont think too many new players will be rushed into this one, I think Adkins will think we’ll have enough to win this with a similar side we saw Vs Crewe.  Plus there is some Saturday/Tuesdays coming up so everyone will get their chance.  Gunter is playing tonight so we might see Purrington.

MacG
    Matthews, Innis, Famewo, Purrington 
    DJ, Morgan, Watson, Kirk
    Stockley, Washington 

Henderson, Lavelle, Gunter, Clare, Arter, Lee, Leko

2-1 Kirk, Washington 
  • Options
    For the first time this season, I feel reasonably confident of a win. Hope Harry Arter makes his debut, and hope he's going to be a big influence for us this season, as he has all the ability to be.
  • Options
    I agree that there won't be many if any changes. Good to have fresh options on the bench and big incentive for those starting to keep their place. Another 2-0 for me although it would be nice to score a few more. Stockley & Kirk.
  • Options
    MacGillivray
    Matthews - Lavelle - Famewo - Soare
    Jaiyesimi - Watson - Morgan - Kirk
    Stockley - Lee

Substitutes Bench: Henderson - Elewere - Purrington - Arter - Clare - Leko - Washington

Prediction
    4-1 Charlton
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    I don't think anyone will be dropped after the Crewe performance. Bench will be strong. Probably no Arter yet as he hasn't played. Dobson maybe misses out again.

Edit...Washington to be rested after NI game. Precarious situation for him.
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:
    I don't think anyone will be dropped after the Crewe performance. Bench will be strong. Probably no Arter yet as he hasn't played. Dobson maybe misses out again.
    I do wonder if Gunter (especially if Purrington is fit) and Washington will play considering they've had a lot of minutes over the international break.

• Options
    I cant see Lee not starting we will rest Washington. The difficult choices for starting I think will be the wide players. But I suspect DJ and Kirk however I'm sure others will make an appearance at some point.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2021
    I believe Nigel will revert back to 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 with Lee having the importance attacking midfielder role supporting Stockley and hopefully increasing our shots on target which were so abysmal in the home games against Sheff Wed, Wimbledon and Wigan.

DJ and Kirk to start either side of Jayden in a 4-3-3 would appear to be his preferred option at home.  Leko and CBT may get on in 2nd half depending on Score. 

Hopefully Purrs or Papa at LB.

Inniss has started this season unfit, so if Lavelle is ready and match fit then straight in if he looked sharp at Sparrows lane.

Can't see how Arter can even make the bench as he hasn't even trained with the team as far as we know ? (ROI duty)

Choices at long last which should mean you only keep your place if you play to a high standard; well that's the theory !

• Options
    edited September 2021
    After the last day of the window stuff, and the after's we have bought in, got some good vibes about this season, so with Thomas in town and Nige spoilt for choice, we will follow up Crewe with another 3 points, Lee has to start, so going for a convincing.... 3-0, don't really  care who scores...just get that win...anyway who are Cheltenham Town, bloody upstarts, they should appreciate the day out experience at The Valley, and get back to Gloucestershire empty handed asap.. B)
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    I'm really looking forward to this Saturday, we have, what I think, is going to be an exciting team! NA has options all over the park, we have brought in energy and experience. I've just watched the Henderson and Souare interviews on the OS, both are excited to be here and I think will give us extra momentum. I don't normally get over the top with my predictions but in this case I can see a 3-0 victory for the Addicks.
    As for the line up, that I think will depend on how players have reacted (picked up any niggles or injuries) to being away on international duty and if the likes of Purrington, Innis and Souare are now match fit. 
    I would like to see Lavelle start if Innis isnt fully fit and one of Purrington/Souare at LB. I wouldn't play Watson and Morgan together either, I'd go more attacking and play a midfield consisting DJ/Lee/Kirk. So my line up would be-:

MacGillivray
    Purr/Souare, Lavelle/Innis, Famewo, Matthews
         Jaiyesimi, Lee, Kirk.
               Washington
            Leko, Stockley.

Subs - Henderson, Purr/Souare, Lavelle/Innis, Gunter, Arter/Clare, Morgan, Dobson.

Time to attack.....TS said he wants exciting football and goals.....well there you go!

Looks good, but you need to switch the full backs.. B)
  • Options
    I'm really looking forward to this Saturday, we have, what I think, is going to be an exciting team! NA has options all over the park, we have brought in energy and experience. I've just watched the Henderson and Souare interviews on the OS, both are excited to be here and I think will give us extra momentum. I don't normally get over the top with my predictions but in this case I can see a 3-0 victory for the Addicks.
    As for the line up, that I think will depend on how players have reacted (picked up any niggles or injuries) to being away on international duty and if the likes of Purrington, Innis and Souare are now match fit. 
    I would like to see Lavelle start if Innis isnt fully fit and one of Purrington/Souare at LB. I wouldn't play Watson and Morgan together either, I'd go more attacking and play a midfield consisting DJ/Lee/Kirk. So my line up would be-:

MacGillivray
         Jaiyesimi, Lee, Kirk.
               Washington
            Leko, Stockley.

Subs - Henderson, Purr/Souare, Lavelle/Innis, Gunter, Arter/Clare, Morgan, Dobson.

Time to attack.....TS said he wants exciting football and goals.....well there you go!
    More attacking??? That's basically a front 6  :D
  • Options
    edited September 2021

MacGillivray
         Jaiyesimi, Lee, Kirk.
               Washington
            Leko, Stockley.

More attacking??? That's basically a front 6  :D
    Well TS wanted goals!! I just want us to go for it, but I agree we would be suspect to a counter attack. I'd play this way against Saturdays opponents but not against the likes of Portsmouth etc, it maybe gungho but it could be very entertaining, which a lot of people have been complaining about us being boring! Anyway its opened a different topic for discussion!!
    I suppose I could swap Leko for Morgan/Dobson, and then bring Leko on for the last 20 minutes in place of one of the front men.

So it would be-:
                 MacGillivray
    Matthews, Lavelle/Innis, Famewo, Purr/Souare
                   Dobson/Morgan
               Jaiyesimi, Lee, Kirk.
                     Washington
                      Stockley.
  • Options
    Morgan being moved from No10 to now the sole holding midfielder - not for me. 
  • Options
    why are we not playing the new signings then? Is Arter injured? Lee deffo starts