Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Cheltenham Town | Saturday 11 September 2021 | Match Preview

Comments

• Options
    mendonca said:
    Morgan being moved from No10 to now the sole holding midfielder - not for me. 
    To be honest I didn't think Morgan was a No 10 in the first place, (I know Nigel did). I think he's better suited as a CM or DM, but my preference would be Dobson in that position.
  • Options
    I'm really looking forward to this Saturday, we have, what I think, is going to be an exciting team! NA has options all over the park, we have brought in energy and experience. I've just watched the Henderson and Souare interviews on the OS, both are excited to be here and I think will give us extra momentum. I don't normally get over the top with my predictions but in this case I can see a 3-0 victory for the Addicks.
    As for the line up, that I think will depend on how players have reacted (picked up any niggles or injuries) to being away on international duty and if the likes of Purrington, Innis and Souare are now match fit. 
    I would like to see Lavelle start if Innis isnt fully fit and one of Purrington/Souare at LB. I wouldn't play Watson and Morgan together either, I'd go more attacking and play a midfield consisting DJ/Lee/Kirk. So my line up would be-:

MacGillivray
    Purr/Souare, Lavelle/Innis, Famewo, Matthews
         Jaiyesimi, Lee, Kirk.
               Washington
            Leko, Stockley.

Subs - Henderson, Purr/Souare, Lavelle/Innis, Gunter, Arter/Clare, Morgan, Dobson.

Time to attack.....TS said he wants exciting football and goals.....well there you go!
    More attacking??? That's basically a front 6  :D
    Well TS wanted goals!! I just want us to go for it, but I agree we would be suspect to a counter attack. I'd play this way against Saturdays opponents but not against the likes of Portsmouth etc, it maybe gungho but it could be very entertaining, which a lot of people have been complaining about us being boring! Anyway its opened a different topic for discussion!!
    I suppose I could swap Leko for Morgan/Dobson, and then bring Leko on for the last 20 minutes in place of one of the front men.

So it would be-:
                 MacGillivray
    Matthews, Lavelle/Innis, Famewo, Purr/Souare
                   Dobson/Morgan
               Jaiyesimi, Lee, Kirk.
                     Washington
                      Stockley.
    Prefer plan A @Redmidland, go 6-0 up in the first 20 minutes and then bring on the defence.. B)
  • Options
    Lee for Morgan. Albie could do with a sit out. 
    I’d bring Arter in With Dobson. 
    Macca
    Purrington
    Innis
    Akin
    Matthews
    Dobson 
    Arter
    Lee
    DJ
    Stockley
    Kirk

Such a shame Washington can’t get in. 
    Very strong bench. 
  • Options
    PWR if already mentioned.  But haven't Arter, Gunter and Washington all been away on International duty..?  If so I doubt any will start...
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Redhenry said:
    why are we not playing the new signings then? Is Arter injured? Lee deffo starts

Harry Arter has been away with the Republic of Ireland squad and may not even have trained with cafc or done any drills or tactics ?  Was it February his last competitive game ? 

Elliott Lee should start if he has had a good two weeks at Sparrows lane since his couple of games for Cafc : one cameo and one start.

• Options
    That from Redmidland is like some Karel Fraeye fever-dream. I love it 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Would like to see Elliott Lee start.  

I’m taking my partner’s friend’s nephew on Sat who is 10.  He is from South Africa and sadly, he and his sister lost their mum in the summer and have had to come over here and live with their aunt.  He’s very excited and keeps asking me if it’s Manchester City.  I don’t think he can even pronounce Cheltenham, let alone have heard of them.  It will be a good day, and I’m ready to set the boy on a path that will end with walking away from anchor and hope lane at 3am after we get dropped off by the DJ coach, following a 1-0 defeat to Morecombe in November on a Tuesday night 
    The kind of post I wish could like more than once. Hope you both have a great day on Saturday. 
    Thanks mate.  I hope the lads don't let us down.  I'm sure they won't
  • Options
    Feeling a lot more comfortable about our playing resources.

As somewhat of a devotee of Pessimus, this is a profound sea change.

3-1 to the Addicks (allowing for a scripted defensive howler - shit there i go again!)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    That from Redmidland is like some Karel Fraeye fever-dream. I love it 
    As long as they all spread out!
  • Options
    Think Washington will be rested and replaced by Lee after starting for NI v Switzerland yesterday. 
    No idea how fit/ready the other new players are, so we’ll have to see at 2pm. 

• Options
    Thanks for a great preview as always. 
    Good to see that the transfer window “slammed” shut, instead of just closing or ending. 
    It’s also standard procedure for weight comparisons to be measured in elephants and floor area in football pitches should you need to. 
    LOL
  • Options
    Feel really excited for Saturday; it kind of feels that this is where we effectively restart our season with a considerably stronger squad and a lot of healthy competition for places.

I'm really looking forward to seeing some of our recent acquisitions in a Charlton shirt - we have received a much needed boost in terms of guile, skill, creativity and attacking impetus. I would be confident that our playing style will be a much more palatable offering to the faithful of SE7 (as well as TS).

So, let's park the negativity and get behind the boys.  World domination starts here, COYA!
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Feel really excited for Saturday; it kind of feels that this is where we effectively restart our season with a considerably stronger squad and a lot of healthy competition for places.

I'm really looking forward to seeing some of our recent acquisitions in a Charlton shirt - we have received a much needed boost in terms of guile, skill, creativity and attacking impetus. I would be confident that our playing style will be a much more palatable offering to the faithful of SE7 (as well as TS).

So, let's park the negativity and get behind the boys.  World domination starts here, COYA!
    Agree many will feel more positive we now we have an improved squad. I know I do. But that also implies there’s less negativity to park, so no need for the request, if you see what I mean? 
  • Options
    I'm really looking forward to this Saturday, we have, what I think, is going to be an exciting team! NA has options all over the park, we have brought in energy and experience. I've just watched the Henderson and Souare interviews on the OS, both are excited to be here and I think will give us extra momentum. I don't normally get over the top with my predictions but in this case I can see a 3-0 victory for the Addicks.
    As for the line up, that I think will depend on how players have reacted (picked up any niggles or injuries) to being away on international duty and if the likes of Purrington, Innis and Souare are now match fit. 
    I would like to see Lavelle start if Innis isnt fully fit and one of Purrington/Souare at LB. I wouldn't play Watson and Morgan together either, I'd go more attacking and play a midfield consisting DJ/Lee/Kirk. So my line up would be-:

MacGillivray
         Jaiyesimi, Lee, Kirk.
               Washington
            Leko, Stockley.

Subs - Henderson, Purr/Souare, Lavelle/Innis, Gunter, Arter/Clare, Morgan, Dobson.

Time to attack.....TS said he wants exciting football and goals.....well there you go!
    That’s hilarious. A 4-0-6 may sound unorthodox, but I think you are on to something there.
  • Options
    Really don’t get why people are still crowbarring Morgan into the team.played better in the last game admittedly, but he’s done that for a game before and then been distinctly average for the next. Time to have a sit on the bench I think.
  • Options
    Rumours that Inniss is out injured and Lavelle is starting 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    paulfox said:
    Really don’t get why people are still crowbarring Morgan into the team.played better in the last game admittedly, but he’s done that for a game before and then been distinctly average for the next. Time to have a sit on the bench I think.
    Not being crowbarred into mine. He's better than Clare and Dobson, covers more ground than Watson and actually tackles better than him. Has vision for the pass to the attackers and so imo he gets the nod ahead of the other midfielders.

Not at No.10 though. That I'll agree for now.
    Respect your opinion, is it ok to agree to disagree? Like grown ups, or have we got argue for a few more pages?!!😂 As is obvious, I just don’t rate not so young Albie. But wish him well when he gets the nod.
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    paulfox said:
    Not being crowbarred into mine. He's better than Clare and Dobson, covers more ground than Watson and actually tackles better than him. Has vision for the pass to the attackers and so imo he gets the nod ahead of the other midfielders.

Respect your opinion, is it ok to agree to disagree? Like grown ups, or have we got argue for a few more pages?!!😂 As is obvious, I just don’t rate not so young Albie. But wish him well when he gets the nod.
    Yeah not arguing absolutely fine to disagree. Be boring if we all felt the same.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    paulfox said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    paulfox said:

Yeah not arguing absolutely fine to disagree. Be boring if we all felt the same.
    😂yes very boring!!
  • Options
    Goals from Arter, Lee & Kirk. The beginning of a glorious run...
  • Options

MacGillivray
         Jaiyesimi, Lee, Kirk.
               Washington
            Leko, Stockley.

Are you Ossie Ardiles?
  • Options

MacGillivray
         Jaiyesimi, Lee, Kirk.
               Washington
            Leko, Stockley.

Are you Ossie Ardiles?
    Ossie would have picked a back 3 including Morgan as the sweeper...... 
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    why are we not playing the new signings then? Is Arter injured? Lee deffo starts
    Arter has barely been to the training ground, let alone trained with the team!