Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Cheltenham Town | Saturday 11 September 2021 | Match Preview

Comments

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    The proof is in the pudding but as far as I can tell, we will be playing exciting football and creating chances.
    2-1 
    Careful @Oggy Red will be after you.....

I agree though that we can and should be more offensively minded.  Really looking forward to this little cluster of games before the next international break, we will really know where we are at then.  Although we thought that last season....... 

• Options
    edited September 2021
    What will Nigel go with today ?

A flexible 4-2-3-1 would be his preference with I agree most of the players who have been training, doing the drills and tactics over the last two weeks will probably be the first choices.

I will be surprised if the attacking 4 starting aren't DJ-Lee-Kirk with Stockley as the Central striker.

Leko and/or CBT to play a part at the business end.

Watson and Morgan will be the picks for Adkins today mainly because Arter, Gilbey not ready, and Watson despite his walking football style will get the nod over Dobson.
    Watson was only supposed to play in an emergency so when the other Midfielders all get up to speed then Watson can mentor from off the field. Ben has had a good career but the legs have gone !

Back 4 could well be Matthews, Lavelle, Famewo, and the LB could be perm any one from 3: Purrington, Souaré or the RB playing out of position Gunter, who Nigel trusts to do a job even though it limits your attacking option.

Inniss is looking unfit and way behind where he was this time last season. Why keep playing him for half a game ?

3-1 and slow but sure we work our way up the table and the "your not fit to wear the shirt" merchants start to sing "the reds are going up" because it's a black and white world for the Cerebrally-challenged.

Enjoy the day.
  • Options
    First match in my new seat in the more genteel surroundings of L block. I leave J block to the potty mouthed spotty oiks  o:)

2-0
    Oi! 

Now I'm 65 I guess I'll be heading over to the West Stand next season, with my new blanket and thermos.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    JamesSeed said:
    The proof is in the pudding but as far as I can tell, we will be playing exciting football and creating chances.
    2-1 
    Careful @Oggy Red will be after you.....

I agree though that we can and should be more offensively minded.  Really looking forward to this little cluster of games before the next international break, we will really know where we are at then.  Although we thought that last season....... 
    Whoosh?
  • Options
    MacG
    Matthews
    Lavelle
    Famewo
    Purrington
    DJ
    Arter
    Clare
    Kirk
    Stockley
    Lee

Subs: Henderson, Elerewe, Pearce, Dobson, Leko, Washington

Hoping that Purrington is ready, but swap in Gunter if not. Giving Inniss time to get right.  Hoping for a big lift off with the new lads in and really looking forward to today. COYRs!
  • Options
    Got a feeling we might win 5-2
  • Options
    Literally clock watching waiting for kick off. The team should be bang up for putting in a performance today after the poor start. I cant get there today but I hope the valley will be bouncing and witness the start of our season.
    Predict a great performance 3-0 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    First match in my new seat in the more genteel surroundings of L block. I leave J block to the potty mouthed spotty oiks  o:)

2-0
    Oi! 

Now I'm 65 I guess I'll be heading over to the West Stand next season, with my new blanket and thermos.

Sit down James or "Siddown"

Bizarrely, back in the day when Tony magic feet Watt was doing his touchline keep ball routine, I got up to my feet in the West Stand and as a *Chippendale in my younger days I did a dance routine while singing the Tony Watt song. 

SIT DOWN, we can't see came from the row behind and just to the right from a young couple in their late 20's; it really isn't just the old farts who won't get up.

* First time I encountered Fanny Fanackapan, her cold hands and baby oil  :o
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

2-0
    Oi! 

Sit down James or "Siddown"

Bizarrely, back in the day when Tony magic feet Watt was doing his touchline keep ball routine, I got up to my feet in the West Stand and as a *Chippendale in my younger days I did a dance routine while singing the Tony Watt song. 

SIT DOWN, we can't see came from the row behind and just to the right from a young couple in their late 20's; it really isn't just the old farts who won't get up.

* First time I encountered Fanny Fanackapan, her cold hands and baby oil  :o
    https://youtu.be/zPNw_2h0CnU
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:
    MacG
    Matthews
    Lavelle
    Famewo
    Purrington
    DJ
    Arter
    Clare
    Kirk
    Stockley
    Lee

Subs: Henderson, Elerewe, Pearce, Dobson, Leko, Washington

Hoping that Purrington is ready, but swap in Gunter if not. Giving Inniss time to get right.  Hoping for a big lift off with the new lads in and really looking forward to today. COYRs!
    NA said Purrington is not ready.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2021
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    The proof is in the pudding 
    angry go away GIF
  • Options
    Is there anyway to see the game on  live stream today 
  • Options
    Leggie said:
    Yeah if you have a VPN
  • Options
    I think we'll start a bit nervy, but gain confidence in the second half and really finish strong.

2-0 to the good guys.
  • Options
    How do we know Cheltenham aren't the good guys
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Just seen Cheltenham have Callum Wright on loan from Leicester. Central midfielder. He's played 5 and scored 3 with 2 assists. 
  • Options
    Good scouting....looks like he was on loan with them last season too.
  • Options
    While we are certainly on the bend, I don’t believe that the corner has been turned 

a close 1-0 but not sure who to
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I doubt NA will start Arter or Souare.

Although if Gunter is tired from Wales games he may feel he's little choice.
    I hope Lee is good to start, feel he can be key for us this year.
    Think this will be very close to NA's starting 11.
                           Mac

Matthews.  Lavelle. Famewo.   Gunter

Watson.             Morgan

DJ.             Lee.              Kirk

Stockley

When Arter & Souare are match fit I hope to see them starting.
    With Watson &. Gunter on the bench.

Leco could make a big contribution this season I hope.

COYR !

I agree with this although think / hope he starts Souare 
  • Options
    I can see us starting with pretty much the same team as the Crewe game but expect to see some of the new signings as subs
  • Options
    Leggie said:
    Yeah if you have a VPN
    Or a holiday home, or a boat......
  • Options
    Surely we’ve signed these new midfielders so we don’t have to play Watson. He and Pearce are the senior pros kept strictly for emergency cover.
    Since Crewe we've signed one central midfielder Arter, who's been away with Ireland for most of the time. The alternative to playing Watson is to bring back Dobson or Clare, but while I'm not a massive Watson fan, he's improved things since he came in
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Leggie said:
    Yeah if you have a VPN
    Cue Charlton supporters on the Woolwich ferry all afternoon, trying to watch the match  ;)
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Leggie said:
    Yeah if you have a VPN
    Or an IPTV provider...
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Leggie said:
    Yeah if you have a VPN
    I'm off to Paris myself, nice there I have heard B)
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Leggie said:
    Yeah if you have a VPN
    I'm off to Paris myself, nice there I have heard B)
    I watched the first few games from the USA, the performances weren't good, watched the crewe game from Denmark so sticking to watching today from there lol
  • Options
    now awaiting the list of the chosen few to play today
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    I always wait to read the official preview before posting my thoughts on the line up.

So it seems that Purrington is still out. Big decision for NA - does he go for new recruit & his pig bag or tried & tested travel weary Gunts. My money is on the latter.

Same re Arter. Although he was here yesterday training with the squad I doubt he'll be starting tomorrow. NA is a safe & serious guy and wont be throwing newbies into the mix just yet. Expect the same old same old.

My prediction :

Play Kirk, Lee & Arter   =  3-0  

Play Watson, Dobson & Gunter  =   0-1
    What you forgot to say:

It's golfie junior's 18th birthday today and so here's hoping for a fine victory for the loyal, long suffering young lad, who was cruelly teased into supporting Charlton by his nasty father with a couple of early Premier League seasons.