Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Cheltenham Town | Saturday 11 September 2021 | Match Preview

Comments

• Options
    I'm really looking forward to this Saturday, we have, what I think, is going to be an exciting team! NA has options all over the park, we have brought in energy and experience. I've just watched the Henderson and Souare interviews on the OS, both are excited to be here and I think will give us extra momentum. I don't normally get over the top with my predictions but in this case I can see a 3-0 victory for the Addicks.
    As for the line up, that I think will depend on how players have reacted (picked up any niggles or injuries) to being away on international duty and if the likes of Purrington, Innis and Souare are now match fit. 
    I would like to see Lavelle start if Innis isnt fully fit and one of Purrington/Souare at LB. I wouldn't play Watson and Morgan together either, I'd go more attacking and play a midfield consisting DJ/Lee/Kirk. So my line up would be-:

MacGillivray
    Purr/Souare, Lavelle/Innis, Famewo, Matthews
         Jaiyesimi, Lee, Kirk.
               Washington
            Leko, Stockley.

Subs - Henderson, Purr/Souare, Lavelle/Innis, Gunter, Arter/Clare, Morgan, Dobson.

Time to attack.....TS said he wants exciting football and goals.....well there you go!
    Are you Ossie Ardiles?

Ossie Ardiles, the 5ft 7in Midfield Maestro who managed 15 clubs in 23 years with attack, attack, attack his mantra.

In the 91/92 season in Division 2, Newcastle were a delight to watch with 150 goals seen in their 46 matches !

The only problem was 84 goals were scored against the Magpies and Ossie was gone by February and Keegan who also loved to attack just kept the Geordies up by winning on the last day.

Newcastle finished 20th and Charlton playing at Upton park finished 7th.

Back to the present day and our 3rd tier status.
  • Options
    I tend to agree with Redmidland and play an attacking team, it is what the owner wants, we now have the players for it and it reminds me of the days of Killer and Flash when we scored lots and also let in lots, perhaps we can now just not let in lots
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    No excuses now. The squad is looking like top six and that’s where we need to be pdq. We’re playing catch up and need to start an unbeaten run to get us back up the table. Dreadful start but as we all know it’s not about where you start but all about where you finish. I’m expecting good quality attacking football with minimal defeats. Anything else simply won’t do. 
  • Options
    Why was Ronnie not mentioned during the press interview with NA?
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Why was Ronnie not mentioned during the press interview with NA?
    is that a rhetorical question?
  • Options
    I'm going for a 4-0 win and expect the starting line-up to be similar to:

Big Mac
          Matthews    Lavelle     Famewo    Soare
                             Arter      Morgan 
                     DJ            Lee         Kirk
                                  Stockley
    Id take that. Those few extra signings have been a game changer 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2021
    I don't expect wholesale changes to the starting 11.
    Maybe Gunter and Washington rested as they have had games and Lavelle in if Innis is unfit.
    Mac
    Matthews, Lavelle, Famewo, Soare
    Watson, Morgan
    DJ, Lee, Kirk
    Stockley

Edit:Just to say that if they are considered up to it, Gunter and Washington will keep their places
  • Options
    Surely Watson won't start, at least i hope not
  • Options
    I doubt NA will start Arter or Souare.

Although if Gunter is tired from Wales games he may feel he's little choice.
    I hope Lee is good to start, feel he can be key for us this year.
    Think this will be very close to NA's starting 11.
                           Mac

Matthews.  Lavelle. Famewo.   Gunter

Watson.             Morgan

DJ.             Lee.              Kirk

Stockley

When Arter & Souare are match fit I hope to see them starting.
    With Watson &. Gunter on the bench.

Leco could make a big contribution this season I hope.

COYR !

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redhenry said:
    I think he will. 
    I dont see the need to change from the winning squad against Crewe if we dont have to.

We were a bit suspect at times, yet equally could have scored on at least four occasions
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redhenry said:
    I think he will. 
    I dont see the need to change from the winning squad against Crewe if we dont have to.

We were a bit suspect at times, yet equally could have scored on at least four occasions
    Except from Washington, due to international expect the same side. Think Wycombe will be when we see the new team play.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    ross1 said:
    I always wait to read the official preview before posting my thoughts on the line up.

So it seems that Purrington is still out. Big decision for NA - does he go for new recruit & his pig bag or tried & tested travel weary Gunts. My money is on the latter.

Same re Arter. Although he was here yesterday training with the squad I doubt he'll be starting tomorrow. NA is a safe & serious guy and wont be throwing newbies into the mix just yet. Expect the same old same old.

My prediction :

Play Kirk, Lee & Arter   =  3-0  

Play Watson, Dobson & Gunter  =   0-1
  • Options
    Looking fwd to this and hoping the feel good really is genuine. Not sure why Watson is being criticised as after the Crewe game I think he should feel rightly aggrieved if he does not start. This will be tough but a sneaky 1-0 might be coming our way.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ross1 said:
    I always wait to read the official preview before posting my thoughts on the line up.

So it seems that Purrington is still out. Big decision for NA - does he go for new recruit & his pig bag or tried & tested travel weary Gunts. My money is on the latter.

Same re Arter. Although he was here yesterday training with the squad I doubt he'll be starting tomorrow. NA is a safe & serious guy and wont be throwing newbies into the mix just yet. Expect the same old same old.

My prediction :

Play Kirk, Lee & Arter   =  3-0  

Play Watson, Dobson & Gunter  =   0-1
    Big Mac
    Matthews - Inniss - Famewo - Gunter
    Watson - Dobson - Arter
    Lee - Kirk
    Stockley

=3-1 win. I'll take it

• Options
    mendonca said:
    Morgan being moved from No10 to now the sole holding midfielder - not for me. 
    To be honest I didn't think Morgan was a No 10 in the first place, (I know Nigel did). I think he's better suited as a CM or DM, but my preference would be Dobson in that position.

Is a 'number 10' played behind the centre forwards?
  • Options
    With Gunter potentially out and the new fella not up to speed NA could go with 3 at the back. 
  • Options
    Please don't cock it up Charlton.  

My yo yoing emotions can't take this.  We started poorly, improved in the last game, have immeasurably improved the squad since - and now - against Cheltenham Town, nothing can go wrong ...

Can it?

2-0 to the Addicks.
  • Options
    Surely we’ve signed these new midfielders so we don’t have to play Watson. He and Pearce are the senior pros kept strictly for emergency cover.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I think he will want to play the players he has had 2 weeks with on the training ground.  Intresting that Papa was spotted playing for the u23s against the first team.  That makes me think Purrington will be fit and play.

MacGillivray

Matthews - Innis - Famewo - Purrington 

Watson - Morgan

DJ        -            Lee              -   Kirk

Stockley

Clean sheet number 3, Kirk off the mark and a brace from Stockley. 
    I expect a similar team to that.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    The proof is in the pudding but as far as I can tell, we will be playing exciting football and creating chances.
    2-0 Cleansheet win.
  • Options
    First match in my new seat in the more genteel surroundings of L block. I leave J block to the potty mouthed spotty oiks  o:)

2-0
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Morgan being moved from No10 to now the sole holding midfielder - not for me. 
    To be honest I didn't think Morgan was a No 10 in the first place, (I know Nigel did). I think he's better suited as a CM or DM, but my preference would be Dobson in that position.

Is a 'number 10' played behind the centre forwards?
    It’s usually the bloke who wears the shirt between 9 and 11. 
  • Options
    Feels like this could be the start of a good season. Hoping they turn it on today.
    2-0