Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Insulate Britain Protests (Blackwall Tunnel p22)

Comments

• Options
    Gribbo said:
    clive said:

Insulate Britain protesters have blocked a major road in central London and a junction on the M25, causing long queues of rush hour traffic.

The group said about 40 activists had blocked the roundabout at Old Street and junction 25 of the motorway at Waltham Cross in Hertfordshire.

The Met Police said four people who were glued to the road on the M25 had been arrested and were being removed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-58842299

I bet it was carnage around Old St - always heavy traffic there
    Right near Moorfields hospital n'all innit?
    Yeah. On City Road, opposite the Eagle.

From the nursery rhythm, Pop Goes The Weasel -

"Up and down the city road
    In and out of the eagle
    That's the way the money goes
    Pop goes the weasel"
    @off_it
  • Options
    clive said:

Insulate Britain protesters have blocked a major road in central London and a junction on the M25, causing long queues of rush hour traffic.

The group said about 40 activists had blocked the roundabout at Old Street and junction 25 of the motorway at Waltham Cross in Hertfordshire.

The Met Police said four people who were glued to the road on the M25 had been arrested and were being removed.

I had to go to Moorfields last week with my daughter, and its the first time i had ever been to Old Street.

What i noticed when i came out of the tube was the amount of vehicles sounding their horns and no traffic moving, even some idiots stopped on the cross hatches. So i thought this morning that would be a waste of time.
  • Options
    clive said:

I had to go to Moorfields last week with my daughter, and its the first time i had ever been to Old Street.

What i noticed when i came out of the tube was the amount of vehicles sounding their horns and no traffic moving, even some idiots stopped on the cross hatches. So i thought this morning that would be a waste of time.
    It's like that every hour of the day there. When they spent millions redesigning the roundabout it was supposed to improve traffic. It's never been worse.
  • Options
    Wonder what the Taliban would make of them?

Let me read the rule book...  hmmm, oh dear!  That seems fair though, after all they have plenty of body parts ro spare after all.
  • Options
    Wonder what the Taliban would make of them?

Let me read the rule book...  hmmm, oh dear!  That seems fair though, after all they have plenty of body parts ro spare after all.
    Most countries in the world would not put up with their disturbances, The French, Spanish, Italians etc would come down a lot harder than we do and that is before we get to Russia & China.

• Options
    edited October 2021
    Swisdom said:
    is it is it time for water cannons yet?  Tasers maybe?
    There needs to be some deterrent before someone gets seriously pissed off and does something they’ll regret 

It's time for Negan and Lucille.
    I still think he should have been in charge of Brexit negotiations 
  • Options
    these wankers must've lost any little public support they did have
    They still have mine 
  • Options
    I wonder if they will be so keen in a few weeks time when it is freezing cold and pissing down,I would glue them to the road so they cant move.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Arresting them doesn’t do anything. 
    One man on news last night said it was his 7th arrest during the protests. 

Put them in prison for a bit. 

Belmarsh, on bath night!
    Now that is ' tough on  crime, tough on the causes of crime '.

Ja us the only answer now.
    Jail is the only answer
    And there’s me thinking you knew Latin.  
    Why did you say that? I don't.  Just Italian. 
    “Ja us the only answer now.”

Just a poor joke from me sir.
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:
    these wankers must've lost any little public support they did have
    They still have mine 
    There’s always one idiot.
    Lenin spoke about "useful idiots", which is ironic...
  • Options
    So it turns out that Insulate Britain leader Liam Norton is an idiot, what a surprise.

From the Standard:

Speaking on talkRADIO, presenter Cristo Foufas asked Norton about why he doesn’t insulate his home.

He replied: “Because I’m a hypocrite."

Foufas pressed him further, adding: "Do you understand why people will think, well, this guy doesn’t care about insulation, he only cares about causing disruption and trying to make a name for himself?"

"Yeah, they’re right," Norton said.

"I don’t particularly care about insulation."

Some people like to protest for the sake of it, to find a cause to hang on, to feel important and the warmth of camaraderie.  Liam Norton has had that - plus his 15 minutes of fame - now its time for him to disappear. 

• Options
    Better to have people think you are an idiot rather than opening your mouth and confirming it for them. 
  • Options
    Elected ‘leader’ somehow?
    Or self-appointed?
    Could he be a mole or a plant?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Or self-appointed?
    Do you want to move this preposterous idea to the conspiracy thread?
  • Options

All he has to say is that that is the reason they're protesting. Because they want the government to subsidise insulation in order for people like him can get insulated.

He's not a mole or a plant, he's privileged fud. One among many others who think they can dictate to everyone else, even when they don't know what the score is themselves

• Options
    seth plum said:
    Or self-appointed?
    Well if he is, his mother is too. 

She’s been arrested four times for the same protest … and she’s a Labour councillor, so she must be a Labour plant  ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Addickted said:
    seth plum said:
    Or self-appointed?
    What you call a preposterous idea is actually three questions.
  • Options
    Here we go again .....
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Addickted said:
    seth plum said:
    Or self-appointed?
    OK - I'll humour you, but you know exactly what I meant.

Third question.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    seth plum said:
    Addickted said:
    seth plum said:
    Or self-appointed?

Third question.
    Yes three mild questions.
    There are endless descriptions of how these foolish protestors should be harmed, some to my mind pretty distasteful.
    Set alongside those posts, my asking or posing three questions is as I said a mild contribution.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    AndyG said:
    For once a thread I can contribute on with a decent amount of knowledge.
    The figures these people are quoting re uninsulated homes are total rubbish. Or family business was formed in 1974 and its main business activity was insulation. Over the years the business has diversified into other product areas and in 2014 we closed the insulation side. We did this as after 40 years of filling cavities in properties there just were not many left to do. Today there are a few businesses left but in the main they are scratching around trying to find properties or concentrating on new build properties.
    The problem we have in the UK is that we have old housing stock that is worth far too much money. 1000's of streets of solid wall properties that should have been demolished years ago and replaced with more energy efficient buildings.
    Those solid wall properties that you mention. I rather not have them knocked down due to the fact that alot of the new buildings that are put up look shite. (i live in one, well, sort off, 20 years old the building) Can those old buildings be properly insulated (if of course the owner wants them to be)? 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    seth plum said:
    Addickted said:
    seth plum said:
    Addickted said:
    seth plum said:
    Or self-appointed?

Third question.
    There are endless descriptions of how these foolish protestors should be harmed, some to my mind pretty distasteful.
    Set alongside those posts, my asking or posing three questions is as I said a mild contribution.
    Seth if you're referencing my last post it was meant to be over the top humour rather than serious and distasteful. That said if people glue themselves to roads or build contraptions to block runways I won't shed a tear if some skin is lost or bones broken. At the end of the day the protestors rights aren't the only ones to consider.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    For once a thread I can contribute on with a decent amount of knowledge.
    The figures these people are quoting re uninsulated homes are total rubbish. Or family business was formed in 1974 and its main business activity was insulation. Over the years the business has diversified into other product areas and in 2014 we closed the insulation side. We did this as after 40 years of filling cavities in properties there just were not many left to do. Today there are a few businesses left but in the main they are scratching around trying to find properties or concentrating on new build properties.
    The problem we have in the UK is that we have old housing stock that is worth far too much money. 1000's of streets of solid wall properties that should have been demolished years ago and replaced with more energy efficient buildings.
    Those solid wall properties that you mention. I rather not have them knocked down due to the fact that alot of the new buildings that are put up look shite. (i live in one, well, sort off, 20 years old the building) Can those old buildings be properly insulated (if of course the owner wants them to be)? 
    Notwithstanding the aesthetic and historical importance of those buildings, there is a also a fine balance between the inefficiency of those buildings and the carbon impact of demolition and rebuild. Its not as simple as saying knock down old buildings and build new ones...
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    seth plum said:
    Addickted said:
    seth plum said:
    Addickted said:
    seth plum said:
    Or self-appointed?

Third question.
    Seth you obviously have some valid points and in no way should these protesters be harmed by the public. However they are being fed rubbish by people who imo are just trying to cause disruption. What they are doing is causing problems for fellow citizens trying to go about their daily business. 
    If any of them did their homework they would know that from April 1st next year anyone with an income below £31k p.a. will be able to have energy efficient measures installed in their homes such as solar p.v., ASHP, external wall insulation totally FOC. 
    There is £4Bn of funding being made available for this in order to cut emissions and ease fuel poverty. But as usual sheep are being used by the wolves to cause trouble in what they think is a noble cause and you cant blame people for getting angry at the disruption they are causing for no good reason
    I have continually criticised these protesters on this thread, even quoting Samuel Beckett to support the point.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!