Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Insulate Britain Protests (Blackwall Tunnel p22)

Comments

• Options
    Addickted said:
    72 arrested today.

Send them to local farmers for fruit and veggie picking for a week. Something actually useful 
    And stop any benefits most of these pricks will be claiming.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    5k views and 210 posts on a football forum which main purpose is to discuss a floundering league one team.

Whether you like it or not (and I tend to feel it's much more counter productive) - I expect those who are protesting will probably consider that the outcome they exactly wanted.

Just don't understand this argument - the majority of people talking about it seem to be slaggin em off, rather than talking about getting their insulation done. 
    They want publicity, they got publicity.  That’s the argument.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    5k views and 210 posts on a football forum which main purpose is to discuss a floundering league one team.

Whether you like it or not (and I tend to feel it's much more counter productive) - I expect those who are protesting will probably consider that the outcome they exactly wanted.

Just don't understand this argument - the majority of people talking about it seem to be slaggin em off, rather than talking about getting their insulation done. 
    But if it didn't happen, or if they just targeted some business/building/individuals that no one cared about then the likelyhood is that no one would be talking about it at all - for good or for bad. 

Not justifying it, and as I say I think it's probably ends up being counter productive (especially if they don't achieve their ultimate goal) - but by doing this, it's something that has made the main news, and has been shared all over social media, even on forums like this which by default are not focused on that sort of issue. 

• Options
    Send positive Nigel down to talk to them......peas in a pod...wet fish heads. 
  • Options
    NM18 said:
    Send positive Nigel down to talk to them......peas in a pod...wet fish heads. 
    If he gets them to spread out like our defence, job done 
  • Options
    iainment said:
    Seabros said:
    iainment said:
    You can’t make an omelette without breaking an egg.
    The point about protests is that it should be noticed. 
    I applaud the protesters on this as they are right about the climate change and the effects not having good insulation has on it.
    Trouble is this ignores the pillars of the establishment eg elections, parliament, the government, the law etc etc. What if I had a cause that I totally believed in and decided that the way to pursue it would be to tamper with the pitch at the Valley for every home game, making it unplayable and inconveniencing 15k Charlton supporters to make my point?  Who is to say that your/their cause is more important or deserving than mine? Presumably that falls to the establishment ie parliament,  the government, the law etc. See the problem? Anarchy isn't the answer. 
    Using your logic no one should express an opinion or take an action on anything.
    Hell no. Protest legally or join in the democratic process. Take legal action if a law is being broken. A good end never justifies bad means. These people can seek election and if enough people support them they'll get their way. If people don't support them they don't have any right to force their views on the rest of us. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I would say quite the opposite. There is absolutely no debate whatsoever on here about climate change and the need for drastic and speedy action (bar the odd climate change sceptic post)...what there is is 8 pages of people with the hump at their days being significantly disrupted....magnify that across the thousands affected in the past couple of days by this group and the result is that you have jut pissed off and alienated thousands of people....most of whom are already very sympathetic and concerned to the cause and supportive of progressive action.

I very much doubt anyone will be rushing out to get insulation as a result of this.  If anything it is an own goal as it gives those in power a narrative to play the cliche "look at those doogooder tree hiugger types" and laugh of future policy and action with support for the masses who have a notable history of being manipulated to vote against their best interests particularly in today's media influence/ culture war arena.

Protestors hearts and brains are in the right place but this sort of action wont win the hearts and minds of the public, most of whom are deeply concerned already about the impending climate catastrophe. But this just turns people off and turns them to the same cognitive dissonance that leads to voting against interests in other areas as we've seen over past 30 years or so.

Bang the drum but do it the right way like many of the elements XR protests last summer that were peaceful and unobtrusive in Trafalgar square and Whitehall for a week and sent a very powerful message and caused many of us to really stop and think, rather than just causing joe public aggro which causes them to not even want to listen to the message no matter how important it is to be heard.

Or form a really appealing and well funded political movement to approach it democratically or a combo of both.

The motorway stuff is all very sixth form student/ Rik out of the young ones and does very little to send the message and other than just subdue it in the abyss of ill feeling it generates and gives the media and elements of those in power the ammunition to ensure that they can continue to be lacklustre. 

Hugely important issue that affects all of us and our future generations but the messaging needs a rethink despite obvious best intentions because it ironically appears to be counterproductive to the movement's aims. 
    Very good points well made.
  • Options

I would say quite the opposite. There is absolutely no debate whatsoever on here about climate change and the need for drastic and speedy action (bar the odd climate change sceptic post)...what there is is 8 pages of people with the hump at their days being significantly disrupted....magnify that across the thousands affected in the past couple of days by this group and the result is that you have jut pissed off and alienated thousands of people....most of whom are already very sympathetic and concerned to the cause and supportive of progressive action.

I very much doubt anyone will be rushing out to get insulation as a result of this.  If anything it is an own goal as it gives those in power a narrative to play the cliche "look at those doogooder tree hiugger types" and laugh off future policy and action with support for the masses who have a notable history of being manipulated to vote against their best interests particularly in today's media influence/ culture war arena.

Protestors hearts and brains are in the right place but this sort of action wont win the hearts and minds of the public, most of whom are deeply concerned already about the impending climate catastrophe. But this just turns people off and turns them to the same cognitive dissonance that leads to voting against interests in other areas as we've seen over past 30 years or so.

Bang the drum but do it the right way like many of the elements of the XR protests last summer that were peaceful and unobtrusive in Trafalgar square and Whitehall for a week and sent a very powerful message and caused many of us to really stop and think, rather than just causing joe public aggro which causes them to not even want to listen to the message no matter how important it is to be heard.

Or form a really appealing and well funded political movement to approach it democratically or a combo of both.

The motorway stuff is all very sixth form student/ Rik out of the young ones and does very little to send the message and other than just subdue it in the abyss of ill feeling it generates and gives the media and elements of those in power the ammunition to ensure that they can continue to be lacklustre. 

Hugely important issue that affects all of us and our future generations but the messaging needs a rethink despite obvious best intentions because it ironically appears to be counterproductive to the movement's aims. 
    “Back of the net…”
  • Options
    edited September 2021

I would say quite the opposite. There is absolutely no debate whatsoever on here about climate change and the need for drastic and speedy action (bar the odd climate change sceptic post)...what there is is 8 pages of people with the hump at their days being significantly disrupted....magnify that across the thousands affected in the past couple of days by this group and the result is that you have jut pissed off and alienated thousands of people....most of whom are very sympathetic and concerned to the cause and supportive of progressive action.

I very much doubt anyone will be rushing out to get insulation as a result of this.  If anything it is an own goal as it gives those in power a narrative to play the cliche "look at those doogooder tree hiugger types" and laugh of future policy and action with support for the masses who have a notable history of being manipulated to vote against their best interests particularly in today's media influence/ culture war arena.

Bang the drum but do it the right way like many of the elements XR protests last summer that were peaceful and unobtrusive in Trafalgar square and Whitehall for a week and sent a very powerful message and caused many of us to really stop and think, rather than just causing joe public aggro which causes them to not even want to listen to the message no matter how important it is to be heard.

Totally agree with much of what you say here - especially around how the narrative can be turned against them.

And perhaps the protests are not doing the job they want because it's not just a climate issue they are protesting and they are not trying to get people to run out there an insulate there homes at all (quiet the opposite as much of this is about people who are in fuel poverty). However they know their actions will raise publicity and cause disruption and anger people (they even said as much) which they believe will have a filter down effect which means the government will do something about it. 

So, again, not justifying it at all, but I imagine if you spoke to a protestor and mentioned that it had garnered so much traffic on a forum such as this - as negative as it is overall - that they would be happy that this specific issue is very much in the public consciousness.

• Options
    Entirely acceptable on this forum to advocate and fantasize about violence. As long as it's the right targets.
    Just as I was thinking of putting my baseball bat in the boot of my car, going all Michael Douglas in falling down.
  • Options

I very much doubt anyone will be rushing out to get insulation as a result of this ...... etc

We're all discussing it, aren't we?

It's not even about getting people to "support" the cause. Just getting publicity to the cause.
    This sort of protest has only one aim: to get their protest highlighted by the media. 

It becomes a major news story; people discuss on social media = result: public awareness.

• Options
    Entirely acceptable on this forum to advocate and fantasize about violence. As long as it's the right targets.
    Just as I was thinking of putting my baseball bat in the boot of my car, going all Michael Douglas in falling down.
    Well I hope you have thought again. It takes a big person to change their mind. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

I very much doubt anyone will be rushing out to get insulation as a result of this ...... etc

It's not even about getting people to "support" the cause. Just getting publicity to the cause.
    This sort of protest has only one aim: to get their protest highlighted by the media. 

It becomes a major news story; people discuss on social media = result: public awareness.

I don't think we are discussing 'it' we're discussing the idiot protesters. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mobile gun turrets, it's the only answer.
  • Options
    Just offer the protesters a ticket for the Gillingham game, a sure fire way to clear the roundabouts in no time!
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Oggy Red said:

I don't think we are discussing 'it' we're discussing the idiot protesters. 
    That's my perception of the topic on here and in the wider media re these protests.

The good message lost in the anger about the disruption. Danger of alienating people from future interest or action on such an important issue if they close ears off to the messengers as a result even if it is against their best interests to embrace it.

• Options
    New tyres ordered -

• Options
    Mobile gun turrets, it's the only answer.
    But can they be trusted?

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Die quietly. Just don't call anyone a twat. How English.
  • Options
    Climate change is exactly what is needed to distracted us from what is (not) happening on the pitch.
    Everything happens for a reason...
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

I’ve just sat and read through all 8 pages of posts, there is very, very little discussion of the actual issue. It’s also all about the protest itself, rather than the cause, so if the organisers see that as success then they are nothing but attention seeking freaks. 

It’s a shame, because the cause is important and noble, sadly these people’s desire to be seen seems more important to them. 
  • Options
    redman said:
    Complaining about climate change I believe. So block the roads. Result extra pollution! Stupidity in the extreme
    missing the point, a tiny miniscule bit of extra pollution is worth it for spreading the message
    Total, absolute bollocks. Tell the poor sods trying to get somewhere it is miniscule.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!