Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shop Lifting

Are shop staff told specifically not to get involved anymore?

I just went to my Sainsburys local and some minging couple stinking of fags, booze and BO literally just filled up bags with stuff and walked out.  Staff just watched them do it and stood aside. Seems it is a fairly common thing too. 

Genuinely shocked me how easy they made it for them. 

So is that staff not wanting to get stabbed/beaten up etc or is it some daft law against restraining people which stops them doing anything.

Comments

• Options
    Paddy and Murphy the shop lifters, found dead under Sainsburys 
  • Options

I just went to my Sainsburys local and some minging couple stinking of fags, booze and BO literally just filled up bags with stuff and walked out.  Staff just watched them do it and stood aside. Seems it is a fairly common thing too. 

So is that staff not wanting to get stabbed/beaten up etc or is it some daft law against restraining people which stops them doing anything.
    Simply not paid enough to justify challenging them and risking injury I imagine.  
  • Options
    Happens I  Sainsbury orpington on a daily basis. 
    Eastern Europeans mainly. 
    The security guard who is on his own is pretty powerless to do anything  about it. 
  • Options
    Yep happens all the time. Washing powder is a big seller among thieves 
  • Options
    Not easy to answer, minimum wage shop staff can't be expected to act as quasi security staff and make citizens arrests. Was there no 'security guard' on the premises?.  
    It seems that nowadays cameras are relied on to record a huge and ever increasing number of criminal acts and the Police need them for evidence to start investigating . Presumably the shop in question will have a video record of the theft and that will be handed over to O B, who just might have the time to get involved.
  • Options
    Daughter was working, running a charity shop last year and the staff were expressly told not to challenge shoplifters, just notify other shop owners in the high street to warn of their presence. So sad when a charity shop is getting fleeced. Often a.group would come in 3-4 and split up around the shop then all walk out together.

It was obvious what was happening but as a lone worker in the shop at times, what could she do?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I worked in retail for 20 years it's something I feel really strongly about. 

I had an option of taking voluntary redundancy but had been offered another role to stay.  Not long before I had to make my mind up I was threatened with a HIV infected needle over a bottle of vodka.  I took the money, he got six months.

Shop lifting and colleague theft were the 2 things I spent far, far, to much time, effort and stress over. 

But some of the stories I could tell. 
  • Options
    Only things that was stolen out of my shop, that I know of, was a book of stamps stolen by an old lady. Also had a bloke do a slight of hand trick on me, using fivers a twenty and a pack of Marlborough Lights. Turned out he walked out the shop 20 quid and a pack of 20 fags up.

Also took about 3 fake £20 notes in my time there n all.
  • Options
    Never really the Slits
  • Options
    Police will only get involved if the value of the stolen goods is over £200.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Do they give them tea and sandwiches in the back of the meat wagon on way to the nick?
  • Options

Can I direct you to the 'protesters in Dartford' thread.

In fact,here's the vid

If they caught up with a shoplifter the Old bill would probably ask if they wanted it wrapped and needed any help getting it home!
  • Options
    Does anyone watch that Police Interceptors?
    You can drive the wrong way down the motorway, in a stolen car, with no licence, no insurance, no tax, with a big bag of drugs, far too much for personal use, high on drink & drugs and ram a few cars & police cars.
    Verdict - no further action was taken. 
    the prisons are chock a block .. more horrible bastards out than in .. seriously, the criminal system has become a joke .. a speeding ticket can cost you more than if you committed GBH or burglary .. I watch Police Interceptors from time to time, usually I give a loud 'W T F' when the ridiculous sentences or lack of them are announced
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes, they are told to not get involved. If the staffing levels are okay then they will ask the person(s) to leave, if they are known to the staff, before they can start robbing.

Had a few altercations at my Sainsbury's Local due to this and most recently a month ago where some little wally knew there were only 2 ladies in the store and so walked in, bold as brass, picked up about 15 large trays of Ferrero Rocher's and walked brazenly behind me as the girl behind the counter rang the bell to alert someone. This didn't sit well with me so I walked up behind the trampy looking twat and, just as he walked through the exit, I grabbed the bag he had over his shoulder only for him to try and pull away. Instinct kicked in and I spun him around, hoisted him up against the wall of the store, jammed my forearm in to his throat and screamed like a fucking banshee at him to drop what he had stolen.

Needless to say he shit his pants and was full of apologies as the store staff came out. Once the staff had the goods I told him to fuck off go on his merry way and to not be a rotter in the future. This is when he decided to find his voice, as he was cycling away. Bellend.

I went back in, paid for my goods and left via the front. Smelly bollocks was outside waiting to ask me why I got involved. When I said that I know the staff well and I don't like thieves, he genuinely said "but I gave it all back". We had more of a verbal altercation before I told him that if I saw him again I'd run him over.

He hasn't been back, apparently.
    Love that but there will be people on here that will say you were in the wrong and violated scummys human rights 🙄
  • Options
    You can drive the wrong way down the motorway, in a stolen car, with no licence, no insurance, no tax, with a big bag of drugs, far too much for personal use, high on drink & drugs and ram a few cars & police cars.
    Wrong-uns probably get a TV appearance fee as well!
  • Options
    The Sainsbury’s I worked at told the employees not to physically apprehend shoplifters under any circumstances. Safety and a fear of being sued both play a part. 

One of the security guards also told me they have no role beyond the company property. A shop on the high street with no car park is therefore incredibly simple to shoplift from.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    That wasn't the case 3 years ago. 
  • Options
    However if you do a cheeky left at a set of lights down Oxford Street your fine will be in the post before you get home.
  • Options
    Happens all the time in my sainsburys local in barnehurst. Walk in, pick up what they want and just walk out past the staff. I dont blame them for not getting involved but it's never going to stop if they keep getting away with it.
  • Options
    Working in Sainsbury's for a year during lockdown, over in West Wickham, and there would be shoplifters every other hour. We were told to speak to them to try and unnerve them, ask them if they need any help, would they like any vegetables or potatoes to go with the 6 roasting joints they had in their basket, that sort of thing. But touching them, trying to take the items from them etc was off limits, we had a security guard but he was as much use as a fishing line made of candy floss. Against my better judgement I chased one down the road and grabbed his bag out of his hands when I watched him half inch 4 bottles of whiskey (mainly because at the end of my shift I was going to be buying one with my discount as a Christmas present) and the cheeky fucker complained to me because "not everything in the bag was taken from you lot".

Safe to say I didn't sort through it and work out what was our property and what wasn't, last I heard from him he was "going to press charges"