Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shop Lifting

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Huskaris said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    Couple of side observations. Waitrose is a crap place to shop and Ferrero Rocher is rank.
    You don't pop into Waitrose to pick up a free copy of The Telegraph?
    The great thing about the Telegraph is the obituary column. There you can read about dead tor people.

I think Seth was being more self deprecating than you give him credit for.
  • Options
    MrWalker said:
    When I was 16 I worked for the co op on £1.92 an hour! A guy and his wife walked in and picked up all the frozen chickens and ran off. The manager shouted at me to stop them, I replied “not for £1.92!!! And let them leave. 

I didn’t have a very good relationship with the manager after that
    It probably wouldn't have taken the full hour to stop him, though.
    Got visions of an hour long Benny Hill style chase now
  • Options
    MrWalker said:
    When I was 16 I worked for the co op on £1.92 an hour! A guy and his wife walked in and picked up all the frozen chickens and ran off. The manager shouted at me to stop them, I replied “not for £1.92!!! And let them leave. 

I didn’t have a very good relationship with the manager after that
    It probably wouldn't have taken the full hour to stop him, though.
    Good point! If only I could turn back time
  • Options
    Interesting moral outlook on here. Always see threads about streaming etc.

Is there a difference nicking something from sainsburys and streaming sky sports pay per view events without paying? Or using technology to pirate/ stream subscription tv services for free.

People openly do that because they want tv for free and have a sense of entitlement that they should be able to watch it whilst others fund it.

Yet someone nicking something from a shop is seen as lowest of the low.

Assuming no one is hurt/ distressed in the latter is there any real difference?

For me the difference is that shoplifting is taking a physical item, something has actually been lost, that takes money to replace, whereas streaming whilst being a potential loss of revenue, does not cause a direct physical loss, but maybe that’s just me trying to justify something I do vs something I don’t. 

It causes a loss to the fighters who would receive it on a pay per view otherwise or the production company and associated staff for tv and films.   Potentially impacts people as much if not more as half inching a tin of bins out of Tescos.  

Not passing judgement as I think most people do/ have done stuff in the past that isn't whiter than white, just think it's an interesting difference in how things are viewed at different extremes.
    They are not getting something, rather than actually losing it though, as I say, probably just mental gymnastics to justify something I do almost everyday. 
  • Options

Is there a difference nicking something from sainsburys and streaming sky sports pay per view events without paying? Or using technology to pirate/ stream subscription tv services for free.

People openly do that because they want tv for free and have a sense of entitlement that they should be able to watch it whilst others fund it.

For me the difference is that shoplifting is taking a physical item, something has actually been lost, that takes money to replace, whereas streaming whilst being a potential loss of revenue, does not cause a direct physical loss, but maybe that’s just me trying to justify something I do vs something I don’t. 

It causes a loss to the fighters who would receive it on a pay per view otherwise or the production company and associated staff for tv and films.   Potentially impacts people as much if not more as half inching a tin of bins out of Tescos.  

Not passing judgement as I think most people do/ have done stuff in the past that isn't whiter than white, just think it's an interesting difference in how things are viewed at different extremes.
    They are not getting something, rather than actually losing it though, as I say, probably just mental gymnastics to justify something I do almost everyday. 
    For me, like you I think, it's the "marginal cost" of you taking things.

If you take a tray of Ferrero Rocher, it costs the amount of a tray of Ferrero Rocher.

There is an unbelievably low marginal cost to digital theft (broadband, TV, mobile etc) as a comparison, and that is without the face to face "trauma" side of things that you have with a shoplifting/robbery.

Doesn't make it right, but it is completely different. I would rather someone cloned my card for £10k (which I could get back) than someone breaking into my home (insured) and stealing a TV worth much less. 
  • Options
    We all know the difference between right and wrong. 
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

For me, like you I think, it's the "marginal cost" of you taking things.

If you take a tray of Ferrero Rocher, it costs the amount of a tray of Ferrero Rocher.

There is an unbelievably low marginal cost to digital theft (broadband, TV, mobile etc) as a comparison, and that is without the face to face "trauma" side of things that you have with a shoplifting/robbery.

Doesn't make it right, but it is completely different. I would rather someone cloned my card for £10k (which I could get back) than someone breaking into my home (insured) and stealing a TV worth much less. 
    Mental gymnastics. Both are wrong. Both are stealing.
  • Options
    Happens I  Sainsbury orpington on a daily basis. 
    Eastern Europeans mainly. 
    The security guard who is on his own is pretty powerless to do anything  about it. 

My mum is Eastern European (Polish) and lives  in Orpington would be aghast at that suggestion.

She shopLIFTS in Waitrose.
    corrected for you
  • Options
    I think shoplifting is bad
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fumbluff said:
    I think shoplifting is bad
    You are right its very naughty.
  • Options
    Is it the same thing as stock taking, I assumed it was a perk at the coop.
  • Options
    Is it the same thing as stock taking, I assumed it was a perk at the coop.
    Did you steal the chicken or the eggs first?
  • Options
    One little missed  -  and I'm in bits. 
  • Options
    Dare I mention Woolworth's Pick 'N' Mix?
  • Options
    Funnily enough, think I was a bystander to shoplifting on Friday. Went up to a self serve machine as the bloke left it and after I’d put my basket down and my bag out I noticed that there was a list of items scanned and it was waiting for a payment, so either he forgot to pay or had the brass neck to appear to be paying and just walked off!
  • Options
    addickson said:
    Funnily enough, think I was a bystander to shoplifting on Friday. Went up to a self serve machine as the bloke left it and after I’d put my basket down and my bag out I noticed that there was a list of items scanned and it was waiting for a payment, so either he forgot to pay or had the brass neck to appear to be paying and just walked off!
    I don't suppose you managed to pick up the bottle of Dom Pérignon I foolishly seemed to have left behind?
  • Options
    Yesh, I did, hic
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Not shop lifting but many years ago somebody broke into my neighbours house whilst he was taking a shower. He quickly put something on and chased the burglar who had his video. The burglar stopped and stabbed him and he died. Scum.
    I wasn’t expecting that outcome!!! Did the murderer get caught
    No, but we moved the Hertfordshire. London is a strange place where poverty and wealth can live yards from each other like nowhere else. 
  • Options
    Worked on the Erith Post office when Jam, the owner, extended it into a mini-supermarket. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    .....oh sorry, thought you said shop fitting
  • Options
    A bloke I once knew was pretty much a full time shoplifter.

He put 'stocktaker' down as his profession on his application for Cherry Lodge Golf Club.