Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shop Lifting

Comments

• Options
    Interesting moral outlook on here. Always see threads about streaming etc.

Is there a difference nicking something from sainsburys and streaming sky sports pay per view events without paying? Or using technology to pirate/ stream subscription tv services for free.

People openly do that because they want tv for free and have a sense of entitlement that they should be able to watch it whilst others fund it.

Yet someone nicking something from a shop is seen as lowest of the low.

Assuming no one is hurt/ distressed in the latter is there any real difference?

The difference for me is that in one scenario there are, usually, people that are left visibly shaken and scared after either being involved in or witnessing these shitrags going about their daily thieve.

I said to the girl behind the counter that had the bloke picked up a loaf of bread, pint of milk, butter, ham and other stuff that constituted a daily shop, and said he was down on his luck, then I'd have more than likely offered to buy it for him. Trays of Ferrero Rocher tell me he's either on the rob or on his way to an Ambassadors Reception. He didn't look like he knew any Ambassadors.
    May I ask what an ambassador is supposed to look like?

Perhaps his appearance was intended to encourage others not to tackle him. Psychology in action.

One thing I am taking from this thread is how easy it is becoming to live for free.

Weekly shoplifting for food (even in Barnehurst!) Using a side door at Wembley to watch a premium footy final. Public transport. What else ?

It won't only be cash that is extinct soon..
    Hindustan Ambassador first drive
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Like I said before I worked in food retail for almost 20 years.  In the last shop I worked in I was personally involved in roughly 2 or 3 instances of shop lifting a day.   Every day.

The number of times it was someone stealing food to feed themselves, or their family, was less than a handful.  That includes a middle aged teacher who tried to steal his tea because he had forgotten his bank card!

80 plus % of it was addicts of some sort either stealing cheap booze for themselves, normally stuff you wouldn't even cook with, or premium spirits to sell.  We used to get hit especially hard 1st thing in the morning when the local dealer was set up in the nearby park.  Most of the rest of it was kids.

There were a few very organised, professional gangs, including a Romanian, yes they were before anyway says anything, chewing gum gang.  They used to hit every supermarket in West Yorkshire.  Apparently it was a nationwide problem. 
    Ah. The Bucharest bubblegum boys. Legends
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Like I said before I worked in food retail for almost 20 years.  In the last shop I worked in I was personally involved in roughly 2 or 3 instances of shop lifting a day.   Every day.

The number of times it was someone stealing food to feed themselves, or their family, was less than a handful.  That includes a middle aged teacher who tried to steal his tea because he had forgotten his bank card!

80 plus % of it was addicts of some sort either stealing cheap booze for themselves, normally stuff you wouldn't even cook with, or premium spirits to sell.  We used to get hit especially hard 1st thing in the morning when the local dealer was set up in the nearby park.  Most of the rest of it was kids.

There were a few very organised, professional gangs, including a Romanian, yes they were before anyway says anything, chewing gum gang.  They used to hit every supermarket in West Yorkshire.  Apparently it was a nationwide problem. 
    You mean these https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-17078958.amp 
  • Options
    What did you go to prison for?

I got seven days for nicking chewing gum 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

You mean these https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-17078958.amp 
    This needs putting on the new True Stories That Sound Fake thread
  • Options
    I think something has been missed here.
    According to my wife who was a manager at Waitrose, potential shoplifters concealing goods cannot be apprehended until they leave the shop as they can claim they were on their way to the till.
    She said that the policy in her shop was, a member of staff had to witness the concealment, the avoiding the checkout and leaving the premises to stand any chance of prosecution in the courts.
    This is probably why there is sometimes a misconception that a member of staff just watched as someone was shoplifting.
    Amusingly in her shop, they got to know certain shoplifters, particularly one gentleman from the police headquarters opposite the shop who on a regular basis would try to conceal a bottle of spirit under his coat.  

This is what I wondered about after the tug of war in M&S, the thief hadn't left the shop, she was apprehended halfway across the shop floor, yes she was obviously on her way to the exit but wasn't that close ?
    Assuming that the security guard had seen her put it in her own bag rather than a basket/trolley so was pretty obvious she was stealing it? And she was possibly already known to him too?
    Yes well it was 4 bottles, she could have said she didn't see a basket anywhere & had to put them somewhere as she couldn't carry 4 to the till, she hadn't left the shop ? I only turned up when the tug of war was in process, whether anything had occurred before I don't know.
  • Options

That's living in Singapore for you
  • Options

To be fair they were nicking a grand a weeks worth from 1 supermarket group, in one county.   God knows how much it was in total. 
  • Options
    Couple of side observations. Waitrose is a crap place to shop and Ferrero Rocher is rank.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Would you take on a wrong un for £8 a hour??
  • Options
    Would you take on a wrong un for £8 a hour??

And would you go to court, taking a day out of your own time for a company that don't really care and for your efforts see the guy get fined £25 by the courts
  • Options

Is there a difference nicking something from sainsburys and streaming sky sports pay per view events without paying? Or using technology to pirate/ stream subscription tv services for free.

People openly do that because they want tv for free and have a sense of entitlement that they should be able to watch it whilst others fund it.

For me the difference is that shoplifting is taking a physical item, something has actually been lost, that takes money to replace, whereas streaming whilst being a potential loss of revenue, does not cause a direct physical loss, but maybe that’s just me trying to justify something I do vs something I don’t. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Couple of side observations. Waitrose is a crap place to shop and Ferrero Rocher is rank.
    wrong on both counts...
  • Options

For me the difference is that shoplifting is taking a physical item, something has actually been lost, that takes money to replace, whereas streaming whilst being a potential loss of revenue, does not cause a direct physical loss, but maybe that’s just me trying to justify something I do vs something I don’t. 

It causes a loss to the fighters who would receive it on a pay per view otherwise or the production company and associated staff for tv and films.   Potentially impacts people as much if not more as half inching a tin of bins out of Tescos.  

Not passing judgement as I think most people do/ have done stuff in the past that isn't whiter than white, just think it's an interesting difference in how things are viewed at different extremes.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    You don't pop into Waitrose to pick up a free copy of The Telegraph?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Is that a thing? Might have to pop down there later to get my Tory news. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gribbo said:
    Paddy and Murphy the shop lifters, found dead under Sainsburys 
    Inappropriate and I take personal offencce
  • Options
    Did Jury service at Southwark many moons ago and sat on a case where a shoplifter was being done for assaulting the Store Manager. It was the old Woolworths up on Crystal Palace parade, apparently this guy had slammed a door, one of those heavy old Woolworths doors, in the face of the manager. The only thing was that the Security Guard's evidence completely contradicted the managers so we had to let him off from the assault, though we all knew he was as guilty as hell. He was sentenced for shoplifting some disposable razors though.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    The great thing about the Telegraph is the obituary column. There you can read about dead tor people.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    The great thing about the Telegraph is the obituary column. There you can read about dead tor people.

• Options
    Cloudworm said:
    Happens I  Sainsbury orpington on a daily basis. 
    Eastern Europeans mainly. 
    The security guard who is on his own is pretty powerless to do anything  about it. 
    Can you support those statements?
    Yes.
    Now piss off.
    Post of the year  👏🏻 
  • Options
    Not shop lifting but many years ago somebody broke into my neighbours house whilst he was taking a shower. He quickly put something on and chased the burglar who had his video. The burglar stopped and stabbed him and he died. Scum.
    I wasn’t expecting that outcome!!! Did the murderer get caught
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Reminds of a thief who used to come in my shop, not to nick but try and sell the gear he'd chored from shops up Bromley (usually the old Kodac throw away camaras). It was leading upto Christmas and it had been on the news that there was a shortage of them Toy Story figures. Anyway, he's walked in and opened his long coat and pulled out one of the cowboy figures from Toy Story. Need to bare in mind, this bloke was sbout 5 foot tall, and the figure was about 3 foot tall. I asked him how he got out the shop with it being as it was so big snd he said, you just walk in pick it up and walk out with it. Even if someone notices, they don't bother challenging him, but if you act normal you don't usually attract attention. He reckoned he'd nicked loads of tvs in the same way
    Did you buy it?