Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shop Lifting

Comments

• Options
    who the fuck nicks Ferrero Rocher anyway?! 
    I'd guess it would most probably be an ambassador who has had his expenses budget slashed and can no longer afford to put on the elaborate receptions that he is noted for.
  • Options
    Interesting moral outlook on here. Always see threads about streaming etc.

Is there a difference nicking something from sainsburys and streaming sky sports pay per view events without paying? Or using technology to pirate/ stream subscription tv services for free.

People openly do that because they want tv for free and have a sense of entitlement that they should be able to watch it whilst others fund it.

Yet someone nicking something from a shop is seen as lowest of the low.

Assuming no one is hurt/ distressed in the latter is there any real difference?

The difference for me is that in one scenario there are, usually, people that are left visibly shaken and scared after either being involved in or witnessing these shitrags going about their daily thieve.

I said to the girl behind the counter that had the bloke picked up a loaf of bread, pint of milk, butter, ham and other stuff that constituted a daily shop, and said he was down on his luck, then I'd have more than likely offered to buy it for him. Trays of Ferrero Rocher tell me he's either on the rob or on his way to an Ambassadors Reception. He didn't look like he knew any Ambassadors.

Yep fair point mate that's why I caveated it with events of shoplifting that cause no distress/ harm to the staff or other customers.

A lot of staff will just shrug shoulders now as wouldn't risk getting stabbed or a broken nose etc and rightly so.

But just on a conceptual level it seems a bit of a double standard in other examples e.g.

I could walk into an Apple store this morning and pilfer a phone case without anyone knowing = scum

Log onto here when I got home and get advice how to stream Apple tv for free = entirely acceptable

Or someone wants to watch a ppv fight so streams it rather than pay (which many of us agree are overpriced and resent it) but is not a necessity...it is just entitlement i.e. "I want" mentality.

Whereas a drug addict thieving items to sell to support a habit/ someone stealing  food  feed themselves or their family (probably not as unlikely given we have so many food banks) is viewed in an entirely different light.

Just interesting how both are viewed differently (again heavily caveating that I am not including shoplifting that causes distress to shop staff or other customers as was your example and the original posters).

do as i say not as i do

the person who said their nephew went into Wembley without paying (despite pointing out that he wasn't one of the ones who rushed the gate) was vilified and ended up apologizing despite not being the one who did it.

within 24 hours people are advocating getting fire sticks to watch stuff for free.

• Options
    Easy pickings in the one by me as that aisle is right by the exit at the back of the store. Also, @ £19 a tray, they're not cheap.
  • Options
    Easy pickings in the one by me as that aisle is right by the exit at the back of the store. Also, @ £19 a tray, they're not cheap.
    19 quid???! for that hazelnut chocolate disaster?? 

Personally i would of applauded him. they deserve to be nicked, fucking sainsburys taking the piss! 
  • Options
    iamdan said:
    Popping to Sainsburys at lunchtime if anyone wants anything??

.Giant Ferrero Rocher Is The Dessert Your Life Has Been Missing  HuffPost  Life
  • Options
    Bit of trivia for you, from the Ferrero Rocher Wikipedia page:

"Ferrero Rocher chocolates, along with baby formula, are one of the top items smuggled across the border from Hong Kong into mainland China.[14]"

• Options
    <BING BONG> CODE 4 CHECKOUTS, CODE 4 CHECKOUTS GO GO GO <BING BONG>

Oh that brings back some memories of my stint at the old and very big Co-op Superstore in Welling when I started working there 30 years ago.

As a 15 year old, you didn't think nothing of the adrenaline rush of every male member of staff running after a shoplifter and man handling them back to the managers office.  It used to happen all the time back then.  2-3 times a Saturday on average.  30 years later, you realise just how stupid that actually was.  It only took one of them to be carrying a knife.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Like I said before I worked in food retail for almost 20 years.  In the last shop I worked in I was personally involved in roughly 2 or 3 instances of shop lifting a day.   Every day.

The number of times it was someone stealing food to feed themselves, or their family, was less than a handful.  That includes a middle aged teacher who tried to steal his tea because he had forgotten his bank card!

80 plus % of it was addicts of some sort either stealing cheap booze for themselves, normally stuff you wouldn't even cook with, or premium spirits to sell.  We used to get hit especially hard 1st thing in the morning when the local dealer was set up in the nearby park.  Most of the rest of it was kids.

There were a few very organised, professional gangs, including a Romanian, yes they were before anyway says anything, chewing gum gang.  They used to hit every supermarket in West Yorkshire.  Apparently it was a nationwide problem. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Like I said before I worked in food retail for almost 20 years.  In the last shop I worked in I was personally involved in roughly 2 or 3 instances of shop lifting a day.   Every day.

The number of times it was someone stealing food to feed themselves, or their family, was less than a handful.  That includes a middle aged teacher who tried to steal his tea because he had forgotten his bank card!

80 plus % of it was addicts of some sort either stealing cheap booze for themselves, normally stuff you wouldn't even cook with, or premium spirits to sell.  We used to get hit especially hard 1st thing in the morning when the local dealer was set up in the nearby park.  Most of the rest of it was kids.

There were a few very organised, professional gangs, including a Romanian, yes they were before anyway says anything, chewing gum gang.  They used to hit every supermarket in West Yorkshire.  Apparently it was a nationwide problem. 
    you shouldn't cook with anything you wouldn't drink
  • Options
    I think something has been missed here.
    According to my wife who was a manager at Waitrose, potential shoplifters concealing goods cannot be apprehended until they leave the shop as they can claim they were on their way to the till.
    She said that the policy in her shop was, a member of staff had to witness the concealment, the avoiding the checkout and leaving the premises to stand any chance of prosecution in the courts.
    This is probably why there is sometimes a misconception that a member of staff just watched as someone was shoplifting.
    Amusingly in her shop, they got to know certain shoplifters, particularly one gentleman from the police headquarters opposite the shop who on a regular basis would try to conceal a bottle of spirit under his coat.  

• Options
    Reminds of a thief who used to come in my shop, not to nick but try and sell the gear he'd chored from shops up Bromley (usually the old Kodac throw away camaras). It was leading upto Christmas and it had been on the news that there was a shortage of them Toy Story figures. Anyway, he's walked in and opened his long coat and pulled out one of the cowboy figures from Toy Story. Need to bare in mind, this bloke was sbout 5 foot tall, and the figure was about 3 foot tall. I asked him how he got out the shop with it being as it was so big snd he said, you just walk in pick it up and walk out with it. Even if someone notices, they don't bother challenging him, but if you act normal you don't usually attract attention. He reckoned he'd nicked loads of tvs in the same way
  • Options
    Tesco Metro near me in Lewisham closed down a couple of years because of all the shoplifting that went on. 
  • Options
    According to my wife who was a manager at Waitrose, potential shoplifters concealing goods cannot be apprehended until they leave the shop as they can claim they were on their way to the till.
    She said that the policy in her shop was, a member of staff had to witness the concealment, the avoiding the checkout and leaving the premises to stand any chance of prosecution in the courts.
    This is probably why there is sometimes a misconception that a member of staff just watched as someone was shoplifting.
    Amusingly in her shop, they got to know certain shoplifters, particularly one gentleman from the police headquarters opposite the shop who on a regular basis would try to conceal a bottle of spirit under his coat.  

You need to prove SCONE in court. 

Selection
    Concealment 
    Observation 
    Nonpayment
    Exit

Basically you have to see them pick it up, hide it, make sure they don't put it down and go past the last point of payment. 

• Options

This is what I wondered about after the tug of war in M&S, the thief hadn't left the shop, she was apprehended halfway across the shop floor, yes she was obviously on her way to the exit but wasn't that close ?
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:

Selection
    Concealment 
    Observation 
    Nonpayment
    Exit

Basically you have to see them pick it up, hide it, make sure they don't put it down and go past the last point of payment. 

We have some strange laws in this country.

Pretty sure I'm entitled to shoot a burglar entering my property, but not shoot him exiting. Complete reverse of shoplifting.

I'm off to superglue myself to the B2247 in protest.
  • Options

This is what I wondered about after the tug of war in M&S, the thief hadn't left the shop, she was apprehended halfway across the shop floor, yes she was obviously on her way to the exit but wasn't that close ?
    Assuming that the security guard had seen her put it in her own bag rather than a basket/trolley so was pretty obvious she was stealing it? And she was possibly already known to him too?
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Selection
    Concealment 
    Observation 
    Nonpayment
    Exit

Oldest trick in the book is guys working in tandem, one grabs a load of stuff and conceals it in a bag, then puts it down and walks out the door. Guy number 2 comes along a couple of minutes later, picks up the bag and walks out with it. Depending on how hot the guys on the floor are, that will determine if guy number 2 comes in or not. They probably try it at 10-15 stores a day and get away with it 3 or 4 times
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Selection
    Concealment 
    Observation 
    Nonpayment
    Exit

surely in store security cameras can pick that all up?
    My local co-op only has a couple of people running the tills/stacking shelves. they have self check out which means someone could quite easily go in nick a ferrero rocher or something more edible and leave without anyone noticing. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Selection
    Concealment 
    Observation 
    Nonpayment
    Exit

My local co-op only has a couple of people running the tills/stacking shelves. they have self check out which means someone could quite easily go in nick a ferrero rocher or something more edible and leave without anyone noticing. 
    When do you stop them though.  That's the question.  No shop I ever worked in had 100% camera coverage, nor someone monitoring it all the time.  They haven't committed a crime until they try and leave.  Sticking a bottle of JD up your jumper isn't illegal. 

Most of the prevention involves seeing someone do it and two or three of you standing by the door, quite often they just give it back to you.  Even the most "known" regulars would be put off with a "not today" as they come in the shop. 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Addickted said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Selection
    Concealment 
    Observation 
    Nonpayment
    Exit

We have some strange laws in this country.

Pretty sure I'm entitled to shoot a burglar entering my property, but not shoot him exiting. Complete reverse of shoplifting.

I'm off to superglue myself to the B2247 in protest.
    Yes you are but that's for entering your private property against your wishes.  Opening the front door to trade is an invitation to shop.

Banning people from a shop never stops them coming in.  What it does do is make it much easier to kick them out. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Selection
    Concealment 
    Observation 
    Nonpayment
    Exit

When do you stop them though.  That's the question.  No shop I ever worked in had 100% camera coverage, nor someone monitoring it all the time.  They haven't committed a crime until they try and leave.  Sticking a bottle of JD up your jumper isn't illegal. 

Most of the prevention involves seeing someone do it and two or three of you standing by the door, quite often they just give it back to you.  Even the most "known" regulars would be put off with a "not today" as they come in the shop. 
    Even if you did catch someone (for example nicking a couple bottles of vodka) what's the worst that even happens? Are the police interested? I can't imagine it goes to court over what is less than 50 quid. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Selection
    Concealment 
    Observation 
    Nonpayment
    Exit

Even if you did catch someone (for example nicking a couple bottles of vodka) what's the worst that even happens? Are the police interested? I can't imagine it goes to court over what is less than 50 quid. 
    The police always came, if you called them.  Quite often it would be a community resolution order but we also had a few that were on license or bail.  Even some that had warrents out for them.  They were often the most resistant.

If they had ID and you hadn't seen them before we normally just banded them and sent them on their way, if they were over 16.  If they were under we had to phone their parents or someone else to pick them up.  That was always fun. 
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:
    Cloudworm said:
    Happens I  Sainsbury orpington on a daily basis. 
    Eastern Europeans mainly. 
    The security guard who is on his own is pretty powerless to do anything  about it. 
    Can you support those statements?
    Yes.
    Now piss off.
    You can’t because it’s simply a lazy xenophobic slur. Best keep that sort of tripe to yourself.
    It's not tripe it's a fact. 
    I have witnessed it myself on numerous occasions  .
    Nothing lazy or xenophobic at all.
    Wheather you believe me or not is completely irrelevant to me.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    30 years ago I used to work in Children's World stores. I recall the store manager of the Leeds branch getting done in a sting set up by security. Basically those huge plastic Wendy houses that were around £400 were going missing. Clearly they couldn't easily be picked up and carried through the front door as a fork truck was used to load them out into people's vans. The security waited behind one Sunday and as the manager was closing up he brought his car round to the loading bay and delivered said wendy house into his people carrier. They reckoned he may have had half a dozen that way. 

Not in a shop but once went to a pub quiz in a student pub on Ecclesall Road, Sheffield. The prize was a mountain bike sat aloft at the back of th bar. At the end of the quiz the results were revealed and on asking the winner to claim their prize it was noted the bike was missing. Nobody noticed it going during the quiz, even though there must have been a few hundred people in there. 
  • Options
    Interesting moral outlook on here. Always see threads about streaming etc.

Is there a difference nicking something from sainsburys and streaming sky sports pay per view events without paying? Or using technology to pirate/ stream subscription tv services for free.

People openly do that because they want tv for free and have a sense of entitlement that they should be able to watch it whilst others fund it.

Yet someone nicking something from a shop is seen as lowest of the low.

Assuming no one is hurt/ distressed in the latter is there any real difference?

The difference for me is that in one scenario there are, usually, people that are left visibly shaken and scared after either being involved in or witnessing these shitrags going about their daily thieve.

I said to the girl behind the counter that had the bloke picked up a loaf of bread, pint of milk, butter, ham and other stuff that constituted a daily shop, and said he was down on his luck, then I'd have more than likely offered to buy it for him. Trays of Ferrero Rocher tell me he's either on the rob or on his way to an Ambassadors Reception. He didn't look like he knew any Ambassadors.
    May I ask what an ambassador is supposed to look like?

Perhaps his appearance was intended to encourage others not to tackle him. Psychology in action.

One thing I am taking from this thread is how easy it is becoming to live for free.

Weekly shoplifting for food (even in Barnehurst!) Using a side door at Wembley to watch a premium footy final. Public transport. What else ?

It won't only be cash that is extinct soon...