Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match thread: Gillingham v Charlton 21/09/2021

Comments

• Options
    One thing to add that was disappointing last night was a couple of comments around me from one group of hoping Gillingham scored to put pressure on Adkins.  It did feel like a minority wanted to get on his back at 1 v 1. 

• Options

This season in League 1 feels like the London marathon when instead of going with the elite runners we are late and stuck in Greenwich park behind two folk dressed as a donkey, a character on a pogo stick, a man with the statue of liberty on his head, and a young woman raising money for charity and who works for Ann Summers dressed as a giant Dildo.

Fairly sure the plump champ sitting in the opposite dugout might have been able to cosplay the Fat Controller, but he ain't running any marathons ;)
  • Options
    th0rryy said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    th0rryy said:
    From the interview with NA after the game, it became worryingly apparent to me that the system ain't for changin'. He'll die on the hill of the 4-2-3-1, but it's way too dependent on requiring better than average (for L1) players in certain roles, notably the central midfielders.  I honestly think he thought Clare and Dobson were the answer, with Morgan in the 10, and we had to beg/borrow/steal unfit players to fix the issue. The concept of Stockley (and even Kirk/DJ) being much weaker than we thought, in my eyes, is linked heavily to this.

All things being equal, I'll take a 1-1 away to Gillingham. We've been poor vs them in recent years. However, I still find the awful football where we can't deal with average L1 sides pressing our defenders/midfielders pretty inexcusable. You could have had the Man City front line last night and they'd have struggled with the complete lack of service for the bulk of the game. It's just really dire.

Everything is not lost - Oxford lost 8 of their first 10 last season, but then went 13 games unbeaten and ended up 6th. Bottom of the table at the end of October. With the squad we have, we can still rapidly progress. Hope is not yet extinguished for me, but we need FULL games of the first half last night. This is a tough, tough league that bites and claws for every scrappy little point, and we need to show more fire.

I agree with every word of this bar one.  Replace he with "someone" and its bang on. 
    Ultimately, NA must have had a decent level of buy in to this, so for me, there's a fair amount of responsibility here. He's the one who's going to lose his job if it goes horribly wrong and he's been around the block long enough to know this is how management works.

Two were brought in early as a cornerstone of our purchases. It's very telling that they came in when they did - if any players felt like NA-driven ones, it was those two for me. He bangs on about having players early in pre-season, and in a system that revolves around dynamic midfields, SURELY these were the key pieces. Particularly without JFC and also Gilbey being out. I'm just not willing to give NA a free pass to divert blame elsewhere. The end of window buying all felt like it happened because of the Clare/Dobson/Morgan trio not working, plus that trio failing making the others look much worse.

We'll never know truly goes on here, and tbh, its quite a bit speculation looking for people to scapegoat. If I'm the manager, that is all on me, regardless of any convolution about how the proposed players get to me. Maybe I'm naïve about things, but the manager will pick the 11.
    The manager picks the team and isn't picking the players that we're brought in early.  Including Famewo and Stockley yesterday.

If you are the manager, who has complete control, and you sign two players and after 5 games think Watson is better than them you deserve the sack.   IF. 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    after eight games last season Blackpool had won once, draw twice, lost 5. So 5 points from 8 games. What happened to them? Just saying ......
    Something fell into place and off they went.

They had 7 points from 8 games.

• Options
    What a farce of a match that turned out to be, good first half, finding space all over the park, CBT was running rings round them, Morgan/Lee/Washington all seemed to able to play at will, Davison was giving a good account, all seemed well, however come the second half, well totally different scenario. Alright Gillingham were always gonna step it up but ffs this was Gillingham, we had them on the ropes first half, failed to capatalize and... wham it ends up 1-1, what a surprise.
    Evans is everyone's person to hate, but God he obviously knows how to gee up his side, if only Nige had the same in his locker, cos we work in reverse apparently, and think we only have to turn up and the game is ours, Nige is on very icy ground and another performance Saturday like that second half and it must be Goodnight Viena..
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    after eight games last season Blackpool had won once, draw twice, lost 5. So 5 points from 8 games. What happened to them? Just saying ......
    Something fell into place and off they went.

They had 7 points from 8 games.

442 init
  • Options
    We looked hungry, sharp and tenacious first half, completely out of character to the dross we've been served up so far this season. There was a nice fluidity in the attack on the break with CW, Davison, CBT and Lee with Morgan and Watson moving the ball quick. It was nice to see a striker take it to feet and run the channels and just work hard no moaning. I like Stockley but I just wonder with him being on the pitch we play a certain unappealing way that's doing us more harm than good. The problem with Davison, CBT and CW first half was the fact they're not actually very good quality wise, decision making/finishing/passing should have had us out of sight first half.
  • Options
    Only difference I can see so far between us and Blackpool is that 1-0 win over them in October last year.

We may have won and may have started brighter but it was a extremely tight encounter - So even at that early stage you could at least see that they were organised yet just need to refine certain aspects of their game.

That was just one game and could have been a lot worse against Gillingham / Plymouth

But from what I've seen of us for the most part this season we just dont show that, especially when we concede.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just seen the Gillingham goal again .. so unlucky hits the post cones out hits Purrington who know nothing about and goes in … that’s what happens when things not quite going your way …
    I agree, but they hit the post later with the keeper beaten and that went our way.
    It's a funny old game Saint...🙂
  • Options
    Not sure where to post this but; 

Gills caterers were confused when I asked for a bovril instead handing me a pint - then declaring they had sold out.  
  • Options

Much better performance from us tonight. Disappointed not to get the 3 points but something to build on. We recover, ready for another fight on Saturday. Great support once again, thank you #cafc #togetherstronger

• Options
    Much improved tonight, thought we deserved more from the game. More to work and improve on but it’s a step forward! Unbelievable turn out from the supporters on a Tuesday night!

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    th0rryy said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    th0rryy said:
    From the interview with NA after the game, it became worryingly apparent to me that the system ain't for changin'. He'll die on the hill of the 4-2-3-1, but it's way too dependent on requiring better than average (for L1) players in certain roles, notably the central midfielders.  I honestly think he thought Clare and Dobson were the answer, with Morgan in the 10, and we had to beg/borrow/steal unfit players to fix the issue. The concept of Stockley (and even Kirk/DJ) being much weaker than we thought, in my eyes, is linked heavily to this.

All things being equal, I'll take a 1-1 away to Gillingham. We've been poor vs them in recent years. However, I still find the awful football where we can't deal with average L1 sides pressing our defenders/midfielders pretty inexcusable. You could have had the Man City front line last night and they'd have struggled with the complete lack of service for the bulk of the game. It's just really dire.

Everything is not lost - Oxford lost 8 of their first 10 last season, but then went 13 games unbeaten and ended up 6th. Bottom of the table at the end of October. With the squad we have, we can still rapidly progress. Hope is not yet extinguished for me, but we need FULL games of the first half last night. This is a tough, tough league that bites and claws for every scrappy little point, and we need to show more fire.

I agree with every word of this bar one.  Replace he with "someone" and its bang on. 
    Ultimately, NA must have had a decent level of buy in to this, so for me, there's a fair amount of responsibility here. He's the one who's going to lose his job if it goes horribly wrong and he's been around the block long enough to know this is how management works.

Two were brought in early as a cornerstone of our purchases. It's very telling that they came in when they did - if any players felt like NA-driven ones, it was those two for me. He bangs on about having players early in pre-season, and in a system that revolves around dynamic midfields, SURELY these were the key pieces. Particularly without JFC and also Gilbey being out. I'm just not willing to give NA a free pass to divert blame elsewhere. The end of window buying all felt like it happened because of the Clare/Dobson/Morgan trio not working, plus that trio failing making the others look much worse.

We'll never know truly goes on here, and tbh, its quite a bit speculation looking for people to scapegoat. If I'm the manager, that is all on me, regardless of any convolution about how the proposed players get to me. Maybe I'm naïve about things, but the manager will pick the 11.
    The manager picks the team and isn't picking the players that we're brought in early.  Including Famewo and Stockley yesterday.

There's definitely something seriously wrong, when you look at our early signings

Dobson was signed on the 1st July, and hasn't played in 3 of the last 4 games, not even making the bench twice
    Clare was signed on the 20th July, and hasn't played in the last 3 games, being on the bench twice but not coming on

Indeed with Dobson, Arter, Lee, Watson, Morgan and Gilbey all getting game time in the last 2 matches, Clare must be wondering why we signed him
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Does anyone speak Nigelish, and able to translate this into a believable interview, can certainly talk a good game, but where's the "pissed off we didn't put the game to bed in the first half" stuff, everyone else can see it B)
  • Options
    And how often does that happen?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    th0rryy said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    th0rryy said:

There's definitely something seriously wrong, when you look at our early signings

Dobson was signed on the 1st July, and hasn't played in 3 of the last 4 games, not even making the bench twice
    Clare was signed on the 20th July, and hasn't played in the last 3 games, being on the bench twice but not coming on

Indeed with Dobson, Arter, Lee, Watson, Morgan and Gilbey all getting game time in the last 2 matches, Clare must be wondering why we signed him
    When Dobson and Clare started games Watson was behind on fitness due to his Covid.  It really does say a lot. 
  • Options
    reading this thread boy am I glad I decided to get it a swerve

depressing 
    Reading the bollox on this thread you'd get a grossly distorted view of the game.
    Much better and encouraging performance. Excellent, dominant 1st half playing the ball on the ground and using CBT's pace and Davison's willingness to show to tear them apart time and time again. Obviously should have gone in more than 1 up.
    Even 2nd half and frustrating lapse AGAIN at a corner cost us the win.
    Lots of positives to take but more work to be done.
    COYA
    Cheers

however just bumped into my next door neighbour who was there and shares the same view as most on here.

still depressing in my opinion. Roll on Saturday but NA must win 1 of the next 2
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    There really is no excuse for Watson starting so many games after a summer of recruitment. To sign new midfielders and not have anyone better?
  • Options
    Everybody's still missing the point
    Needlessly played in the ropey white kit at Wycombe = piss poor performance & crap result

Needlessly played in the ropey white kit again v the piss poor pikies and another crap result

So many different players were involved across those two games you can't tell me it's not a factor.

Charlton play in red.  Red and blue are not a clash.  Ergo not playing in red is stupid and clearly counter productive.  It's not like one single solitary extra whiteish shirt has been sold as a result, is it?
  • Options
    Just a point on their goal.
    Leaving aside the criminal defending, only Lee in our side would have scored from a similar opening.
    The rest of our lot shoot like my Grandmother.
    Eighteen-a-bag-of-nuts 
  • Options
    Must admit, I don’t rate Gilbey as a player, but liked his retort to the Walking Heart Attack on Twitter 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Billy_Mix said:
    Everybody's still missing the point
    Needlessly played in the ropey white kit at Wycombe = piss poor performance & crap result

Needlessly played in the ropey white kit again v the piss poor pikies and another crap result

So many different players were involved across those two games you can't tell me it's not a factor.

Charlton play in red.  Red and blue are not a clash.  Ergo not playing in red is stupid and clearly counter productive.  It's not like one single solitary extra whiteish shirt has been sold as a result, is it?
    But what about that person with the black & white telly!?
  • Options
    PWR.

Well we didn't lose and a point away from home is regarded as a decent result in 'normal' circumstances. However Charlton being in the bottom 4 of the third tier is not 'normal' circumstances other than the 1920s once.

Positives for me were that nobody had a 'bad' game and Blackett-Taylor looked really effective. For me he offered more last night than I've seen from DJ (the 'shit Lloyd Sam' as @Len\'s_little_girl calls him) since he (DJ) joined the Club. Purrington, given his long absence, slipped straight back into his usual 7/10 type performance.

I watched the match on the stream but was unable to watch the post match analysis. What did the physio manager have to say for himself?
  • Options
    Watson (and Morgan) both looked better when Lee dropped deeper to receive the ball, dictate play and play with his head up. It's no coincidence that when Lee got man-marked and started to tire, they both looked a hell of a lot worse. Lee is arguably the best player in this entire squad with the ball at his feet, which is why I was advocating for him being the deeper lying, playmaking 10. Equally, when our Lee had the ball and could dictate, he can get it to either wing and we can play to our strengths of pace on the wings.

I'd rather he stuck with Dobson than Watson, but whatever - it's like Watson has dirt on NA or something, and he's holding him to ransom. When we're playing badly, he offers very little and is only enabled by others. Watson/Pratley under LB was also bad, Watson/Morgan equally/if not more so.

My preference for a NA midfield is Dobson/Arter and a deep Lee at 10, with CBT/DJ one side and Washington/Kirk on the other. I'm praying that one combination will click at some point (and may well not be the one I suggest). Fitness is the key.