Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match thread: Gillingham v Charlton 21/09/2021

1789101113»

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Had Gillingham won he might have got the boot yesterday morning, or at best had the pompey game as his absolute last chance saloon. I mentioned on CL earlier in the week that I thought the most likely outcome was NA will scrape a couple of draws in the Gills and pompey games, and that will buy him a few more games. 

Its likely TS has in his mind an amount of games for NA to turn things around. I think that amount would be 12 league games personally so if the next few are fairly "meh" in terms of results, that might be him out. He probably has to win 2 or 3 on the bounce from this point on to save himself.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    LenGlover said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Bailey said:
    If our player is on top of the two Gillingham players at the corner it limits their options, Albie arrives late and the Gills players now have options. This isn't the first time it's happened this season, we seem to be slow to cover the crossing positions, on this occasion Matthews is where he should be and its the midfielders job to Police the short corner. 
    it was Lee, not morgan 
    No, Morgan is the designated Charlton Life scapegoat! It has to be his fault!
    I don't know whose job it was, but Lee was there up against two. It needed another defender when they went short. I said earlier, I thought it was Matthews, but it was whoever was given responsibility in case of a short corner, if anybody was.
    Lee, (who i like), was clearly the man who was supposed to cover the short corner - he didn't and realised too late that it was happening - had he realised sooner, he'd have been marking / cut out the pass. If their second man had been next to the corner taker then yes, another defender would have been expected to be out there or on red alert to get out there but this looks squarely like it wa Lee's fault to me in that he wasn't switched on quickly enough to cutting out the relatively long pass to their other player  
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    LenGlover said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Bailey said:
    If our player is on top of the two Gillingham players at the corner it limits their options, Albie arrives late and the Gills players now have options. This isn't the first time it's happened this season, we seem to be slow to cover the crossing positions, on this occasion Matthews is where he should be and its the midfielders job to Police the short corner. 
    it was Lee, not morgan 
    I don't know whose job it was, but Lee was there up against two. It needed another defender when they went short. I said earlier, I thought it was Matthews, but it was whoever was given responsibility in case of a short corner, if anybody was.
    Morgan was on the edge of our D more to the left side... as was his correct position, not one player looked to him for the issue with the goal. Sometimes teams score goals and it's no one in particular's fault, more of the whole team switched off. 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    I’m not sure if people are watching the same clip as me… https://youtu.be/hiweiAeLUHI

First, Lee goes with his man for the short corner as he should. He’s not able (and we shouldn’t expect him) to cut out the second pass back to the original corner taker who then takes a shot on goal.

No-one is standing on the left edge of our D. It’s certainly not Albie, he’s in the six yard box defending which is a bit of a weird choice but means it definitely was not his responsibility either.

Someone out of shot further up the field hasn’t switched on or been told to watch out for short corners. Looks like CBT was the only man up field when the camera pans back towards halfway.

Leko was on the edge of the penalty area handling their no. 10 Olly Lee. It should’ve been him going out and CBT dropping to help mark the edge of the box.

But honestly, I’m going to put that one down to bad coaching rather than a particular player error. Why aren’t our players prepared for this and know what to do? Why is Albie (one of our shortest players) man marking in the six yard box?
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    DOUCHER said:
    Leuth said:
    Lee was the one who did go out but we needed someone else to do so. You can't defend a short corner with one man
    u can if u get out there before the corner is taken 
    Not really because you have to stay 10 yards away and then you have a 2 on 1.
    Edit: saw your later post and agree that he was late there. But whoever the second guy was was even less switched on.
    Either way, it probably won't happen again at a corner.
    But our big problem this season has been how easy it's been to attack us down our flanks.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Bailey said:
    Albie was furious at Lee when the goal went in, he spent 30 seconds after the goal screaming at him. Considering Albie was deep in the box, and his reaction to goal, you can assume it wasn’t his job to close down short corners.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Leuth said:
    Lee was the one who did go out but we needed someone else to do so. You can't defend a short corner with one man
    u can if u get out there before the corner is taken 
    Not really because you have to stay 10 yards away and then you have a 2 on 1.
    Yes but once they are within the 10 yards it obvious that a short corner is a strong possibility - the fella who received the pass came from up the field and Lee or somebody else tracking him  should have been marking him or cutting out the pass before he got in there - only then would you need two players out there - to me, it was Lee's job to cut out taht pass or if the fella had headed to goal instead, cut out the short pass / shot on goal - he was too slow to it - you wouldn't have 2 players standing out there in casea  short corner might happen 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    First, Lee goes with his man for the short corner as he should. He’s not able (and we shouldn’t expect him) to cut out the second pass back to the original corner taker who then takes a shot on goal.

No-one is standing on the left edge of our D. It’s certainly not Albie, he’s in the six yard box defending which is a bit of a weird choice but means it definitely was not his responsibility either.

Someone out of shot further up the field hasn’t switched on or been told to watch out for short corners. Looks like CBT was the only man up field when the camera pans back towards halfway.

Leko was on the edge of the penalty area handling their no. 10 Olly Lee. It should’ve been him going out and CBT dropping to help mark the edge of the box.

But honestly, I’m going to put that one down to bad coaching rather than a particular player error. Why aren’t our players prepared for this and know what to do? Why is Albie (one of our shortest players) man marking in the six yard box?
    CBT's (designated I expect) job was to offer an option up the field, not to defend a corner. Having the whole team back around the box is asking for trouble. Ideally you'd keep two players up the pitch which would occupy three of theirs. And you also become a threat on the break.

And yes, you'd think Albie should be wide because of his lack of height.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    It looks to me as if Morgan is positioned on the angle of our six yard box to defend any near post ball which IIRC used to be JJs responsibility in days of old and so Albie is totally exonerated in my book.
  • Options
    I name this incident:

CornerGate.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Whoever is at fault, we had the same short corner issue twice on Saturday with a largely different team
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    DOUCHER said:
    LenGlover said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Bailey said:
    it was Lee, not morgan 
    Lee, (who i like), was clearly the man who was supposed to cover the short corner - he didn't and realised too late that it was happening - had he realised sooner, he'd have been marking / cut out the pass. If their second man had been next to the corner taker then yes, another defender would have been expected to be out there or on red alert to get out there but this looks squarely like it wa Lee's fault to me in that he wasn't switched on quickly enough to cutting out the relatively long pass to their other player  
    You are correct that he noticed the danger late but two players were required. 
  • Options
    I name this incident:

CornerGate.
    Thought that was Derby away. THAT CORNER 
  • Options
    Goal was also pretty flukey in that it hit Purrington and went in. 

Having first slammed against the post instead of fly into the corner of the net, which was lucky for us. You make your own luck.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Bailey said:
    it was Lee, not morgan 
    You are correct Mr Doucher, bloody poor organisation and I will always forgive Albie and Dobson as they are learning the game but when it's a senior player it makes it more unforgivable. 
  • Options

Having first slammed against the post instead of fly into the corner of the net, which was lucky for us. You make your own luck.
    “You don’t get any luck when you’re at the bottom”. Copyright Lord Robin “Lennie” Lawrence.
  • Options
    If you don't shoot you can't score. Seeing as scoring is the main aim of football I would have thought you'd be trying to shoot as much as possible. 
  • Options
    If you don't shoot you can't score. Seeing as scoring is the main aim of football I would have thought you'd be trying to shoot as much as possible. 
    Exactly. You make your own luck, as they say
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    True, but I think the point is we had 18 chances at goal, far more than them and scored one, and their one goal game from hitting the post and one of our players.
  • Options
    Clarky said:
    True, but I think the point is we had 18 chances at goal, far more than them and scored one, and their one goal game from hitting the post and one of our players.
    Yeah but that's positive spin in favour of Charlton, Golfie can't be having that. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Just watched the extended highlights on Charlton TV and we should've been 5 - 0 up at halftime, and could easily have scored another 3 in the second half. They had 2 decent chances overall. Some poor finishing and switching off the from a corner has cost us. 

But if we keep creating chances like that, things will surely be looking up.

Also, based on that performance, if we don't give CBT a contract soon, he's gonna have his pick of the league come January.
    If he has a few more performances like tuesday he might not want to sign a contract with us mate as he will have higher choices I would think.
    It does make you wonder how he was released from Tranmere if he has that in his locker, the bloke was unplayable at times. Maybe he realises this is his opportunity to get a decent contract somwhere
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    Chunes said:
    Just watched the extended highlights on Charlton TV and we should've been 5 - 0 up at halftime, and could easily have scored another 3 in the second half. They had 2 decent chances overall. Some poor finishing and switching off the from a corner has cost us. 

Also, based on that performance, if we don't give CBT a contract soon, he's gonna have his pick of the league come January.
    If he has a few more performances like tuesday he might not want to sign a contract with us mate as he will have higher choices I would think.
    It does make you wonder how he was released from Tranmere if he has that in his locker, the bloke was unplayable at times. Maybe he realises this is his opportunity to get a decent contract somwhere
    I agree he made mincemeat of their guy in the first half, but I'd want to see a bit more before getting too carried away.
    How is he against a full back with a bit more pace and savvy?
    How is he when teams become aware of him and plan to negate his assets (ooh err missus)
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    Chunes said:

I agree he made mincemeat of their guy in the first half, but I'd want to see a bit more before getting too carried away.
    How is he when teams become aware of him and plan to negate his assets (ooh err missus)
    Agreed. Any player with pace and directness will catch the eye, but they can also be found out unless they have more to their game than that

I remember Callum Harriott looking a potential world beater in his first few games for us
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    Chunes said:

Agreed. Any player with pace and directness will catch the eye, but they can also be found out unless they have more to their game than that

I remember Callum Harriott looking a potential world beater in his first few games for us
    Dare I say the same about young Clayden too?
  • Options
    cs1986 said:
    Fuck off soppy bollocks. This is going to go down like a lead balloon. He aint got a scooby, well intentioned and thanks for taking the club on but fuck me you have zero clue.
    This post not so funny now lads 🤣
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    Chunes said:

Talking of Callum Harriott, now he has been vindicated in a court of law could we do worse than give him a trial with a view to signing him as a free agent? As recentish Charlton wide players go he knows where the goal is and used to track back and work reasonably hard.