Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match thread: Gillingham v Charlton 21/09/2021

Comments

• Options
    reading this thread boy am I glad I decided to get it a swerve

depressing 
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    We had 60% possession, 18 shots and 6 on target. You guys who thought we were crap tonight might as well find a new team to support. Not sure we will be top 6 what ever team we put out.

And how many points did those stats get us?

You want us going back to one shot off target ?

I said before the first game of the season we would struggle to score from open play.

I have reset so I was pleased to see the first half performance and at least creating chances now Elliott Lee has arrived along with CBT who did to McKenzie what he did to the Crawley full back.

Only disappointment awaits if you think we are strong enough to be in contention this season.
    Then that’s a huge problem, we should be in contention, in league one ffs.
  • Options

Positives from tonight 

CBT - looked really sharp , some great touches and scared their left side to death during the first half

Lee - when we played it to his feet he looked class , a great touch and real vision and determination. 

Davison - worked his socks off , chased everything and put their back line under pressure - good to have someone who is mobile with a bit of pace up front. 

Watson - probably not popular here but I thought he played well. 

Gilbert looked busy on his return. 

How about Sullivan? 
  • Options
    This squad IS good enough to win this division. This manager is the obstacle to that happening. They are not playing for him.

All change please all change. 
    Name your first eleven that are capable of winning the league. 

The players are so so poor every single week, doesn't matter who starts. 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Is Steve Evans the most hated man in football?
    Tom Finney is afasic
  • Options
    Carter said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Carter said:
    Morgan just isn’t good enough @Carter

He’ll probably end up at Gillingham next 
    He might not be and factors point to him maybe playing above himself now such as nobody coming in for him when he was available on loan but what I can't have is people saying he is hiding or looking for the easy ball. Trying to split a defence in half isn’t easy and you need your teammates to help and give you options, how many dummy runs or actual runs do you remember from the games this season let alone tonight?  I don’t owe him anything but he isn't coasting and cruising like a handful of his teammates 
    Someone told me to watch the Wycombe game on the App because I was too positive about the performance. I’m sure if you watch the second half again you’ll see he didn’t go looking for the ball, or offer himself up as an outlet. 
    Nobody can defend a lot of what any of the players did in that game but I dont remember Morgan playing against Wycombe 
    ? If you read the quotes you’ll see I was talking about the second half yesterday. 
  • Options
    I think the Portsmouth game on Sat will be a better test of whether we can compete in league 1 this season.

We've shown that we can dominate for parts of the game against a) a depleted Gillingham side that were missing 5 first team players & b) a Crewe side that had sold half of their first team from the previous season.

Pompey, despite a budget reduction aren't in such a position & will provide a tougher test. They're also out of form making it a very winnable game that will hopefully kick start our season.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Is Steve Evans the most hated man in football?
    Tom Finney is afasic
    Same here.
    Ruined Tutts carreer  .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Adkins biggest problem remains his midfield, putting Gilbey on the bench surprised everyone but to play his desired formation Gilbey and Forster Caskey are integral. That area has conceded us goals by the lack of experience in there, Albie will be a great player but he needs to understand how to play when under pressure and the same can be said for Dobson, the midfield is the reason we have not created chances for our forwards and this should have been addressed in the window. Arter is a slightly younger Watson but having Gilbey back is a start.
  • Options
    Everything been covered,one thing,get CBT signed up now or he will bw gone in January.
  • Options
    My point about having goals in the midfield was supported with Lee's goal yesterday. Gilbey coming back is a big positive. Morgan's feeble efforts on goal further supported the fact that the simple stats tell us, that he is not a goal scorer. Positively, Lavelle looks like he will get a few. The more goal threats we have, the harder it will be for teams to stop us.
  • Options
    They couldn’t handle CBT in the first half, yet in the second half we never gave him the ball at all. 
    Heaven knows what NADS was thinking with that starting line up. 
    Both sides had chances for the winner - but their shot against the post would have buried us. 
    Tonight just papered over the cracks. 
    It was the starting lineup which produced the great first half

In the second half Gillingham changed formation to remove the space CBT had had in the first half.
    They also put a man on Lee like we did with Pratley that time.
  • Options
    Evans may be annoying but he is right that the riches Adkins has in his squad makes him very lucky. Evans may be envious of this but of course it is a different pressure to be under. We all know Adkins should be doing so much more with his squad.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    HandG said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Leuth said:
    Morgan was awful second half. I think I'm done with him unfortunately
    See I don't get this, how was he awful second half? He wasn't as busy as the first half, but he barely put a foot wrong.

This isn't me saying he was fantastic or even good second half, but he was no worse than any other midfield player second half - the singling out of the 21 year old makes no sense.

Peach of a corner for Stockley to fluff was probably his highlight of the half.
    He played safe throughout. He rarely turned and often played the ball backwards without turning, even when he had space. I agree that he barely put a foot wrong but, if you hardly contributing anything of note, it doesn’t really matter. I think Morgan has got ability but he just looks devoid of confidence at the moment.

I agree with this for the second half, first half he was playing really quite well.
  • Options
    Pretty concerning that he seems relatively happy with last night.

Hope it's just a front, and that behind the scenes he's tearing his management team a new one and telling them they've got 2 home games to save their job.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    First half, great.
    Second half, not so, gills changed their formation and we couldn’t adapt. Adkins beaten by a man who’s main tactic is get to Greggs first.
  • Options
    I think the Portsmouth game on Sat will be a better test of whether we can compete in league 1 this season.

We've shown that we can dominate for parts of the game against a) a depleted Gillingham side that were missing 5 first team players & b) a Crewe side that had sold half of their first team from the previous season.

Pompey, despite a budget reduction aren't in such a position & will provide a tougher test. They're also out of form making it a very winnable game that will hopefully kick start our season.
    Hasn’t the first 7-8 games shown we can’t compete this season?

I don’t want to sound pessimistic but the season is essentially over for us, we’re fighting for a “best of the rest” position. It would take a phenomenal run to claw back 6th and I don’t see this squad stringing together 5 or 6 wins on the bounce. 
  • Options
    Pretty concerning that he seems relatively happy with last night.

Hope it's just a front, and that behind the scenes he's tearing his management team a new one and telling them they've got 2 home games to save their job.
    Also, have you seen the post match Minto/Adkins interview? It presented a really positive case about the performance. My guess is this is the dictum coming from the club. Hanging on for point against a weak Gills team and Scott is gushing over the performance. We are not going to buy this rubbish. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    HandG said:
    Will post once I manage to get home. Currently locked outside Gillingham station. Golfie is about to go into a rant

Get over yourself mate
    If you had been there you would agree with me.

Thrre were hundreds of people outside Gillingham station as they had locked the doors so no-one could get inside.

I mean wtf ??  Has nobody learnt anything  from Hillsborough  ?  Good job there wasn't more fans.....or drunken rowdy ones or it could have really got nasty.

I really would like to ask someone in authority what they were thinking. What was the rationale for locking hundreds of people (whether they were football fans is completely immaterial imo) outside of a train station at 10pm. When the doors were finally unlocked there was an almighty scrum & someone could really have got seriously hurt. 

The only thing I can think is that they wanted empty trains to be there waiting so we could all board as soon as getting onto the platforms  rather than overcrowding the 2 main platforms in use for London bound trains -  but then all they did was move the problem from inside the station to outside. 

What didn't happen was any communication to let us know this. Nothing. 

As I said - Hillsborough on a smaller scale. 

And apart from all that - again civil liberties being totally trodden on. What makes it right that I cant enter a train station at 10pm to get home ?

We literally lock people out of Charlton station every single home game match. It's to make sure there's no overcrowding on the platform, and so that no one falls on the tracks. Happens every morning at certain tube stations too. 

Nothing to do with civil liberties, nothing to do with being a football fan, it's purely a safety measure.
    I understand that.....but nothing was relayed to the people outside. All I could see (from my little 5ft 8 height) was 3 or 4 policeman just standing inside as if they were expecting trouble. Also, it's not quite the same as locking a small gate or barrier, these were large sliding glass doors. More people can surge through, thus causing a bigger crush situation, and also more catastrophic should the weight of people smash the glass.

I've been locked outside of tube stations before (Arsenal being one of them) but not experienced the same as last night.

• Options
    Several times in the last few games we have switched off when defending set pieces and last night it cost us. Lack of organisation at the back is a worry, considering the amount of experience in that back line.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    HandG said:
    Will post once I manage to get home. Currently locked outside Gillingham station. Golfie is about to go into a rant

Get over yourself mate
    If you had been there you would agree with me.

Thrre were hundreds of people outside Gillingham station as they had locked the doors so no-one could get inside.

I mean wtf ??  Has nobody learnt anything  from Hillsborough  ?  Good job there wasn't more fans.....or drunken rowdy ones or it could have really got nasty.

I really would like to ask someone in authority what they were thinking. What was the rationale for locking hundreds of people (whether they were football fans is completely immaterial imo) outside of a train station at 10pm. When the doors were finally unlocked there was an almighty scrum & someone could really have got seriously hurt. 

The only thing I can think is that they wanted empty trains to be there waiting so we could all board as soon as getting onto the platforms  rather than overcrowding the 2 main platforms in use for London bound trains -  but then all they did was move the problem from inside the station to outside. 

What didn't happen was any communication to let us know this. Nothing. 

As I said - Hillsborough on a smaller scale. 

And apart from all that - again civil liberties being totally trodden on. What makes it right that I cant enter a train station at 10pm to get home ?

We literally lock people out of Charlton station every single home game match. It's to make sure there's no overcrowding on the platform, and so that no one falls on the tracks. Happens every morning at certain tube stations too. 

Nothing to do with civil liberties, nothing to do with being a football fan, it's purely a safety measure.
    I understand that.....but nothing was relayed to the people outside. All I could see (from my little 5ft 8 height) was 3 or 4 policeman just standing inside as if they were expecting trouble. Also, it's not quite the same as locking a small gate or barrier, these were large sliding glass doors. More people can surge through, thus causing a bigger crush situation, and also more catastrophic should the weight of people smash the glass.

I've been locked outside of tube stations before (Arsenal being one of them) but not experienced the same as last night.

Fair enough. Communication would always improve these situations.