Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match thread: Gillingham v Charlton 21/09/2021

Comments

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Adkins is just throwing darts at a board now, isn’t he?

He is completely lost on what our best XI is and for all the modern bullshit about football being a squad game you MUST know your best XI.

Bowyer’s Play Off winning side

Philips

Djiksteel - Bauer - Sarr - Purrington

Cullen - Bielek - Pratley - Aribo

Taylor - Grant/Parker

Powell’s League One Champions

Hamer

Solly - Morrison - Taylor/Cort - Wiggins

Green/Wagstaff - Hollands - Stephens - Jackson

BWP - Kermorgant

We can all name those sides off by heart, can’t we?

Why? Because the managers identified the best XI and got the maximum out of them.

Right now Adkins is guessing…and he is running out of time to get it right.
    Completely agree with this. I don't think NA has a clue what our best X1, best formation or style is and if he doesn't then how can he expect the players to?
    I'm no fan of Adkins, but if we had recruited decent match fit players by the end of July as he/we wanted he would have known by now. 
    His post match interview on CATV was a very clever dig/not dig at that.

To paraphrase he said I played exactly the same way in all bar one game last season, exactly the same way all through preseason, why did it take until deadline day to get the players. 
    The main question that still hasn't been answered this season. 

Only some PR fluff on the website that skirts around the issues.  
  • Options
    A draw is not good enough but still a massive improvement on Saturday. 
    Two home games coming up anything less than 4 points then Nige Is gone .
  • Options
    I wonder if Morgan practices shooting because I can’t remember the last time he didn’t hit a shot over the bar .
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    If Adkins is shifting the blame to the recruitment team, it’s the same tale he spun at Hull. 

As for that, 35 good minutes, then a weird half time substitution that wrecked the balance and we looked meh again.

as for Evans, bloke shouldn’t be working in the sport 
    If it were 35 minutes and not 45, it wasn't the sub that did it no? 
  • Options
    I suppose we put the brake on the rot a little bit by a better performance, and not losing, but the result remains a disappointment.
    Quite a lot of positives, but my brief comment for now is without the now legendary lumping it up to Stockley things were better and we played more football.
    This is more like treading water than swimming for the shore though.
  • Options
    Carter said:
    Oh and that save from their keeper in the second half is one of the best I've seen in the flesh for a long time 
    Watching it on the stream I couldn't understand why Davison wasn't celebrating. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

He is completely lost on what our best XI is and for all the modern bullshit about football being a squad game you MUST know your best XI.

Philips

Taylor - Grant/Parker

Hamer

BWP - Kermorgant

Why? Because the managers identified the best XI and got the maximum out of them.

Completely agree with this. I don't think NA has a clue what our best X1, best formation or style is and if he doesn't then how can he expect the players to?
    I'm no fan of Adkins, but if we had recruited decent match fit players by the end of July as he/we wanted he would have known by now. 

To paraphrase he said I played exactly the same way in all bar one game last season, exactly the same way all through preseason, why did it take until deadline day to get the players. 

Because it doesn’t fit with the agenda that we have a heroic/stable owner who is leading us back to the big time.

Ergo it’s Adkins / the players / the groundsman / the fans / Doris the tea lady’s / cleaner of the Curbs stand toilets fault instead.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A draw is not good enough but still a massive improvement on Saturday. 
    Two home games coming up anything less than 4 points then Nige Is gone .
    I can see neither of those happening, we won't get 4 points and Nigel will still be here.
  • Options
    That was a much better display but being 1 up at HT was never going to be enough if they went up a gear and bombarded us.
    Morgan was excellent first half as well as CBT. Conor Washington's two missed chances cost us the 3 points but he took up good positions but couldn't execute the chances. Davison led the line well and still looks raw but does get shots off on target. Good save from the keeper in the 2nd half from Josh.

We had 60% possession, 18 shots and 6 on target. You guys who thought we were crap tonight might as well find a new team to support. Not sure we will be top 6 what ever team we put out.

At last a Left footed LB, hopefully it was noted he can overlap and put a ball into the box. CBT went past his full back and can put a ball into the box(as well as into the crowd)

Impossible to know out best 11 to start or the best 11 to finish but Lavelle was strong and with his older clone Pearce they battled away.

We are a long away from being top 6 but I wanted some pride in wearing the shirt and the skill shown in the first half means we should rise up the table but we have a long way to go to be higher than mid table.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    On a plus side I bet £10 on lee scoring first half and another £10 bet on him scoring second half just logged onto Bob's lot and won £160.00 as apparently both paid out as 1st scorer and last scorer lol no idea how that works
    I guess because own goals don't count.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Philips

Taylor - Grant/Parker

Hamer

BWP - Kermorgant

Because it doesn’t fit with the agenda that we have a heroic/stable owner who is leading us back to the big time.

Ergo it’s Adkins / the players / the groundsman / the fans / Doris the tea lady’s / cleaner of the Curbs stand toilets fault instead.
    Poor ole Doris, she’s gets a ton of stick on here.
  • Options
    I wonder if Morgan practices shooting because I can’t remember the last time he didn’t hit a shot over the bar .
    Ipswich away, 11 months ago. It’s easy to remember as it’s the only time he has done it
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Russell Slade 2.0
  • Options

You guys who thought we were crap tonight might as well find a new team to support. 

Lol, good then was it? 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    iamdan said:
    Good first half.
    White flag 2nd half.

Davidson - weak/didn’t hold anything up and didn’t win a single header - not sure why everyone loving him. 
    100% and Leko added nothing yet he is supposed to be "too good for league one"
  • Options
    An improvement of sorts but putting it in perspective we hung on for a draw against a team that is likely to be in the bottom half of the table.Reasonable first half but under the cosh for most of the second
    It seems that whatever team is out out at the moment we are never going to be more than mediocre and with the individual talent available  surely this is down to poor coaching and organisation,hence the Gillingham equaliser.That must be the fault of the manager and coaches  which means that they should  all be replaced .I have been watching Charlton for 65 years andI am struggling to remember a worse Charlton team
  • Options
    That was a much better display but being 1 up at HT was never going to be enough if they went up a gear and bombarded us.
    Morgan was excellent first half as well as CBT. Conor Washington's two missed chances cost us the 3 points but he took up good positions but couldn't execute the chances. Davison led the line well and still looks raw but does get shots off on target. Good save from the keeper in the 2nd half from Josh.

We had 60% possession, 18 shots and 6 on target. You guys who thought we were crap tonight might as well find a new team to support. Not sure we will be top 6 what ever team we put out.

At last a Left footed LB, hopefully it was noted he can overlap and put a ball into the box. CBT went past his full back and can put a ball into the box(as well as into the crowd)

Impossible to know out best 11 to start or the best 11 to finish but Lavelle was strong and with his older clone Pearce they battled away.

We are a long away from being top 6 but I wanted some pride in wearing the shirt and the skill shown in the first half means we should rise up the table but we have a long way to go to be higher than mid table.
    Jesus christ. 
  • Options
    They couldn’t handle CBT in the first half, yet in the second half we never gave him the ball at all. 
    Heaven knows what NADS was thinking with that starting line up. 
    Both sides had chances for the winner - but their shot against the post would have buried us. 
    Tonight just papered over the cracks. 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Two steps up first half. One step back second. Should have had it wrapped up by then. 
    Morgan didn’t seem to want the ball in the second. Shame, as he had a good first half. Lee faded as well. 
    Davison I like, as he bothers defenders. Hold up play is good too. CB-T may be better than Leko, Kirk and DJ. Lavelle looks decent too. 

Need further improvement on Saturday. And we need to start winning games pronto. 
  • Options
    If Washington had buried the one on one chance if the first half it would have been game over. Why are we so crap when clean through with only the keeper to beat, my money is on the keeper every time.