Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match thread: Gillingham v Charlton 21/09/2021

Comments

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Leuth said:
    Morgan was awful second half. I think I'm done with him unfortunately
    See I don't get this, how was he awful second half? He wasn't as busy as the first half, but he barely put a foot wrong.

This isn't me saying he was fantastic or even good second half, but he was no worse than any other midfield player second half - the singling out of the 21 year old makes no sense.

Peach of a corner for Stockley to fluff was probably his highlight of the half.
    He played safe throughout. He rarely turned and often played the ball backwards without turning, even when he had space. I agree that he barely put a foot wrong but, if you hardly contributing anything of note, it doesn’t really matter. I think Morgan has got ability but he just looks devoid of confidence at the moment.

• Options
    iamdan said:
    Good first half.
    White flag 2nd half.

Davidson - weak/didn’t hold anything up and didn’t win a single header - not sure why everyone loving him. 
    Scratching my head. First half he held everything up and then after the shape change we had not a sniff really. 

The ball into him he received well and laid off and caused some problems. 

Second half he should have been switched for Stockley earlier. 

Not on the band wagon by any means, but tad harsh that. 

I personally thought the second half was poor and should have been changed earlier. We offered nothing and we’re sitting ducks 
  • Options
    I can't help thinking about last seasons game a the Gills.  We were knocking out win after win, the international break had just happened. It was 1-1.

Bowyer was telling everyone that after ten days on the training ground we would be brilliant.   Maddison would be ready etc etc.  We were slow, pondering, didn't know who was ment to take the penalty, Gunter was playing at center half.

Even if Adkins stays I would wager a lot of money the next 4 months won't be worse than the 4 months that followed that. 
  • Options
    If Washington had buried the one on one chance if the first half it would have been game over. Why are we so crap when clean through with only the keeper to beat, my money is on the keeper every time.
    Because our players are shit. It’s pretty simple.
  • Options
    Croydon said:

You guys who thought we were crap tonight might as well find a new team to support. 

Lol, good then was it? 
    Yeah but….60% possession (lavelle and Pearce passing to each other) and 18 shots (wild sky high or pea rollers) so what’s there to not be happy about!!!!

I don’t know why but our full backs not crossing the half way line really really irritates me. Probably more than it should tbf.
  • Options
    Croydon said:

You guys who thought we were crap tonight might as well find a new team to support. 

Lol, good then was it? 
    Yeah but….60% possession (lavelle and Pearce passing to each other) and 18 shots (wild sky high or pea rollers) so what’s there to not be happy about!!!!

I don’t know why but our full backs not crossing the half way line really really irritates me. Probably more than it should tbf.

You are bang on. I can’t believe it’s Morgan getting a hammering on here and not Matthews. He’s either too scared to make an (overlapping) run or he can’t be bothered/doesn’t want to. I felt sorry for Blackett-Taylor - he was doing it all on his own down that flank in the first half with naff all support from his right-back.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    Leuth said:
    See I don't get this, how was he awful second half? He wasn't as busy as the first half, but he barely put a foot wrong.

This isn't me saying he was fantastic or even good second half, but he was no worse than any other midfield player second half - the singling out of the 21 year old makes no sense.

Just got back - tonight he didn’t tackle, and went hiding for long periods of the game ronight, looked exhausted. 

I know he is one of our own and only young - but don’t see what he adds to the side at all at the moment. 
  • Options
    edited September 2021

On the climb!
    Up the football league we go. 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    West2003 said:
    Croydon said:

Lol, good then was it? 

You are bang on. I can’t believe it’s Morgan getting a hammering on here and not Matthews. He’s either too scared to make an (overlapping) run or he can’t be bothered/doesn’t want to. I felt sorry for Blackett-Taylor - he was doing it all on his own down that flank in the first half with naff all support from his right-back.
    I think I remember reading something about not wanting to crowd the winger out so as it hopefully leaves one v one. It’s fair enough cos CBT had their LB on toast first 30 but when he got tired and then nullified second half, we didn’t react and ask Matthew’s to give them something to think about. It just oozes negativity.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    First half we played with width - Washington on the left CBT on the right and Lee in the 10 role behind Davison. Lots of space for us to exploit. 

Second half , Leko played down the middle with Davison and squeezed Lee’s space. As a result it became a lot more crowded. Wonder if we would have been better with Leko hugging the touchline
    instead ? 
  • Options
    We had 60% possession, 18 shots and 6 on target. You guys who thought we were crap tonight might as well find a new team to support. Not sure we will be top 6 what ever team we put out.

And how many points did those stats get us?
  • Options
    Really annoyed with Stockley's appearance at the end. Came on, was utter shite, made poor runs and constantly complained at our other players. Not a captain for me. Woeful for the last few games.
    Headmaster who's fluffed 2 headers from 6 yards in our last two matches.
  • Options
    Croydon said:

Lol, good then was it? 

I thought we were good first half and played some good football and should've been 2 or 3 goals up.

Do you disagree with that statement or does any one else ?

I have stated we will struggle to finish above mid table because we couldn't replace Chuks Aneke.

2nd half Gillingham went up a gear and scored a goal when someone made a mistake by not picking up the spare man at the corner. We are 23rd for a reason and that is we make basic mistakes over the 90+ minutes and can't play well for more that one half max. 

We were not crap tonight. We were crap against Cheltenham and I didn't see the Wycombe game but I will assume we were poor after reading the reports.
  • Options
    If Washington had buried the one on one chance if the first half it would have been game over. Why are we so crap when clean through with only the keeper to beat, my money is on the keeper every time.
    Could/should have chipped him. 
  • Options
    At game. Great first 30, committed team performance. sat on lead to half time. Not sure what happened in second half all fell away. 

Off the watch GBBO 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Honestly that's the flattest I have seen or heard our away support for a long time. Can tell we were all drained, something has got to change, hopefully the manager as I just can't see him turning this around. His positivity is started to really piss me off
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:
    Leuth said:

Just got back - tonight he didn’t tackle, and went hiding for long periods of the game ronight, looked exhausted. 

I know he is one of our own and only young - but don’t see what he adds to the side at all at the moment. 
    Maybe your view wasn't very good, but watching on TV Morgan made several crucial tackles
    View was perfect thanks, and how many times did did he not attempt to make a tackle or a half hearted one or let people run past him ? It’s about the whole game not one or two instances during the 90 mins. 
  • Options
    Just home much better performance tonight, positive first half. They won the second half but good point all considered. I’ll say one though, the booing and abuse by a small group of fans aimed at the players and Adkins was uncalled for. Fanbase is toxic and isn’t helping the players. Fans also fighting on the train home was also embarrassing. 
  • Options
    Thought Dempsey for them was class and for 20 mins in the second half he pulled us apart. Wish we had added him to our squad, maybe we still might?
  • Options
    Thought Dempsey for them was class and for 20 mins in the second half he pulled us apart. Wish we had added him to our squad, maybe we still might?
    Dempsey was class especially in the second half, gillingham fans rate him as the closest thing to Hessenthaler since Hessenthaler and thats praise considering his son has come and gone at gillignham. He has the same energy and directness about him as a Kinsella for me and he was a similar player to Hessenthaler as well. 

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Croydon said:

Lol, good then was it? 

Hello, I said we weren't crap and we had six shots on target. We still did not win and we still look like a mid table team which is still an improvement on 23rd.
    Watch it back and both Matthews and Purrington had many runs into Gillingham's half in the first period. That must of happened when you were going to the fridge for a beer or having a piss ?
     Purrington made runs and set up a couple of chances. 2nd half when the home team came Into the game then defending is important as we were in danger of throwing it all away again. 

After the last two fucking terrible performances I thought we stopped the rot.

Who Adkins picks for Pompey is anyone's guess but at least we will know on Friday when VFR tells us the team.*

*A Dan and Nick are joining CL on Friday morning.