Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Bolton Wanderers | Tuesday 28th September 2021 | Match Preview

Comments

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Start as many of Davison, CBT, Clare, Leko, Lee. Washington and Gilbey as we realistically can. They've shown the energy we need that others have lacked (too many to mention) and it'll also give us a few decent options off the bench.

Stockley as a sub and keep Gunter out the squad completely.

Start one of Watson and Arter at most.
    This the problem though, and was last season.  Of our 20+ outfield players you have to leave some very good ones out to compensate for the less good ones.  You probably have to play a 7/3 split, rather than a 6/4 or even a 5/5.

No 6 are good enough to play a 42 anything.  Even if it's a lopsided 442 or 442 with two wingers.   There is no combination of 2 that's good enough, which ever way you shuffle it. 
  • Options
    I have a possible solution.

Apart from our keeper, ask the rest of the squad to pick a straw. 

10 of those will be short ones, the remainder, longer. 

Those who've picked one of the former will play.

Isn't that called getting the short straw/s ? 

FAR simpler than NA's current method.

And probably just as un/successful.

:smile:
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    DOUCHER said:
    JamesSeed said:
    DOUCHER said:
    I don't understand why Dobson isn't playing.  To me he is the only mobile young holding player we have. We looked more solid v Wednesday and Wigan when he played. Surely better than Arter, Watson and Morgan. 
    agree 100% - we won't keep getting done on the turnover of possession with his legs in there - watson playing week in week out is baffling and will get adkins the sack, along with trying to play stockley as a lone striker - i'm convinced i could pick a side to win tuesday night  
    Go on then! 🙂
    see above  :)
    Lol that's one of my preferred starting line-ups too. Although I wouldn't play Famewho, I'd stick with Famewo. 👍
  • Options
    My preferred team based on recent form/cameos would be 

MacGillivray
    Matthews Lavelle Famewo Purrington
    Watson Clare
    Gilbey Lee
    Blackett-Taylor Davison

Subs Kirk, Leko, Stockley, DJ, Dobson, Soure, Henderson 

3-2 win under the lights Lee, Davison and Leko on the scoresheet 

• Options
    Missing Happy Valley
    4:0
  • Options
    Don’t think we will see a team without either Pearce and or Watson for a while. 

The rest of the side lacks real experience and leadership. Stockley throwing his hands up during every play isn’t leadership. Lavelle looks like he could be a contender , but it’s difficult to come in and do it - especially with the crowd on your back as soon as the team make a
    mistake. 
  • Options
    Would take another draw but expect a defeat.
  • Options
    Absolutely buzzing for this, my first floodlit game in years. 
  • Options
    Anyone know what time crossbars opens for midweek games ? 
  • Options

MAC 
    Matthews , Lavelle , Pearce , Soare
    CBT , Watson , Lee , Kirk 
    Davison , Stockley 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Difficult but narrow victory 1-0.
  • Options
    Another draw
  • Options
    CBT very doubtful for tomorrow … do they take another risk ?
  • Options
    Portsmouth had 62% possession first half with 1 up top the ball just simply keeps coming back. Switched to 2 up top second half and won half 2-1 only over win came with 2 up top.it’s so obvious but in case Nigel’s not sure WE NEED TO PLAY TWO UP TOP 
    so if we don’t play 2 up top we will lose and Nigel should be sacked. 
    But if we do play 2 up top I think we’re going to win 
  • Options
    We have the players to win but a manager who can set us up to lose. If Pearce and Stockley start and we make a load of changes then we'll struggle yet again.
    2-1 to Bolton.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    All we need is it to click and can see us going on a 20 game winning run.
    This is Charlton you're talking about...
  • Options
    Mate of mine got a free ticket for this match, when getting his jab at The Valley, but has just realised the voucher is only valid for West Stand seats in block G.

Surely if the club wants to encourage new supporters, it should allow fans with free tickets to attend near the seats of their ST holding mates, rather than force them to attend a match on their own? There's over 200 empty seats in my block in the Upper North, so just seems bizarre.
  • Options
    Would like to see Famewo back in for Pearce and Clare start. Thought the latter brought good energy on Saturday and was nice to see him have the confidence to run forward with the ball.  Davison probably deserves another start too. 

A few question marks on fitness still so expect to see Gilbey/Soare/CBT on the bench for this one. 

Big Mac

Matthews Lavelle Famewo Purrington

Watson  Clare

Leko               Lee               Kirk

Davison

• Options
    Croydon said:
    Mate of mine got a free ticket for this match, when getting his jab at The Valley, but has just realised the voucher is only valid for West Stand seats in block G.

Surely if the club wants to encourage new supporters, it should allow fans with free tickets to attend near the seats of their ST holding mates, rather than force them to attend a match on their own? There's over 200 empty seats in my block in the Upper North, so just seems bizarre.
    Should check with the ticket office, they might be able to swap it. Agree it's daft otherwise.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bolton are a team around the level of where we should be. 

They're higher end of midtable and it'll be a game that shows us if we'll be able to climb out of this relegation fight. 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Croydon said:

The ST holding friends can move anywhere they want by emailing the club. Tbh a free ticket for a jab is a great offer, it's not like they spent £500 to get a free Bovril. 

Also unless you're next to your mates, they may aswell be in a different stand... but you can't promise 1000 ppl a seat exactly nect to someone they may know with a ST. Most of those ppl that got jabs, probably don't know a ST holding friend.
  • Options
    No Pearce or Watson please

I said before Saturday that NA must win 1 of the 2 home games and I still stand by that - must win, draw and he probably (unfortunately) clings on with more crap about how we're improving blah blah.....lose and there really only must be one outcome.
  • Options

I can’t make this one but enjoyed that preview thank you – particularly the description of our opponents as “a team who fight for each other and add a sprinkle of quality at the top end of the pitch”. If true, that just about seals our fate.

I really enjoyed the Pompey game but we were rubbish for most of it and there are clearly problems in the camp as happy-clappy Nigel loses the plot. No pressure on the opposition, no aggression, no grit and not much clue in terms of tactics.

Watson might make a nice ‘Pirlo in a wheelchair’ type of playmaker but he is NOT a defensive midfielder and offers our back four no protection. We all love Pearce’s character and service but whoever described him looking like a child scrabbling for the last chair when the music stops in musical chairs, was spot on. They both need a rest.

I make no claim to be a tactical genius but I can’t see any point in playing 4-2-2-2 with a big striker whose only real threat is heading the ball.  It offers no width for crosses, both full backs overrun all match and no wide outlet from defence other than hoof ball.  

It won’t happen but I would like to see two ball-crushing midfield enforcers in front of our best back four  (ie the back four without Pearce in it). Clare and Dobson were signed to do this job so let them off the leash to make the opposition know they are playing at the Valley not Cheltenham Ladies College. 

Once the back is solid-  Lee, Gilbey Leko and CBT can get us a goal. Davison works hard and deserves his chance but I can’t see what a big No.9 role offers us at the moment.

1-1   

• Options
    CBT very doubtful for tomorrow … do they take another risk ?
    why? whats wrong with him? 
  • Options
    we are getting more shots on target in the last few games, which suggests we are doing something better.

This is the game it all comes to fruition   

3-1 Charlton
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    Croydon said:

The ST holding friends can move anywhere they want by emailing the club. Tbh a free ticket for a jab is a great offer, it's not like they spent £500 to get a free Bovril. 

Also unless you're next to your mates, they may aswell be in a different stand... but you can't promise 1000 ppl a seat exactly nect to someone they may know with a ST. Most of those ppl that got jabs, probably don't know a ST holding friend.
    But why is the free ticket not just valid for anywhere in the ground? It's not like any area is sold out, so why does it matter? 

Also, the bit in bold couldn't be more wrong. What about pre-match and HT in the concourse?
  • Options
    As it will not be the late 2nd half team that played against Portsmouth due to players not being fit or carrying injuries it is more likely Charlton 0 B0lton 2. Bolton on a decent run of form.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!