Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Bolton Wanderers | Tuesday 28th September 2021 | Match Preview

Comments

• Options
    I reckon Gilbey is unlikely to start given his recent return and first 90mins on saturday, likewise Watson has played a lit of minutes recently. Add in Arter looking anonymous and being hooked at half time and we suddenly get some issues in midfield. 

If Washington is fit he has to start either for one of the wide players or for Lee in the role he played against Crewe but that puts more pressure on the midfield. 

Usual rotation of the full backs expected and Famewo in for Pearcey.

Mac
    Gunter Famewo Lavelle Purrington
    Dobson Clare
    Lee
    Leko Davison CBT 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Start as many of Davison, CBT, Clare, Leko, Lee. Washington and Gilbey as we realistically can. They've shown the energy we need that others have lacked (too many to mention) and it'll also give us a few decent options off the bench.

Stockley as a sub and keep Gunter out the squad completely.

Start one of Watson and Arter at most.
    This the problem though, and was last season.  Of our 20+ outfield players you have to leave some very good ones out to compensate for the less good ones.  You probably have to play a 7/3 split, rather than a 6/4 or even a 5/5.

No 6 are good enough to play a 42 anything.  Even if it's a lopsided 442 or 442 with two wingers.   There is no combination of 2 that's good enough, which ever way you shuffle it. 
    Agreed but the problem is we brought players in to fit this system so we arent in a great position to be able to change it. We dont have the quality at full back to move to a diamond which would enable us to pack the midfield and not lose that battle every game. We definitely dont have the players to move to a back 3 with wing backs. Both of these options would mean us not using the quality wingers we have in the squad too. 
  • Options
    I'm not expecting to see Dobson, Famewo, Morgan or Kirk starting tonight - maybe not even on the bench.
  • Options
    Do I set the alarm for 4.10am? 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Start as many of Davison, CBT, Clare, Leko, Lee. Washington and Gilbey as we realistically can. They've shown the energy we need that others have lacked (too many to mention) and it'll also give us a few decent options off the bench.

Stockley as a sub and keep Gunter out the squad completely.

Start one of Watson and Arter at most.
    This the problem though, and was last season.  Of our 20+ outfield players you have to leave some very good ones out to compensate for the less good ones.  You probably have to play a 7/3 split, rather than a 6/4 or even a 5/5.

No 6 are good enough to play a 42 anything.  Even if it's a lopsided 442 or 442 with two wingers.   There is no combination of 2 that's good enough, which ever way you shuffle it. 
    Agreed but the problem is we brought players in to fit this system so we arent in a great position to be able to change it. We dont have the quality at full back to move to a diamond which would enable us to pack the midfield and not lose that battle every game. We definitely dont have the players to move to a back 3 with wing backs. Both of these options would mean us not using the quality wingers we have in the squad too. 
    Matthews and Purrington have both played reasonably well diamond, Matthews even in the championship.  It don't think it's beyond them, although they will never be Cafu like.  But if course you can't leave all 6 wingers out...... 

There is a massive JFC shaped whole in this squad its so obvious it's embarrassing.  Hopefully Arter is just totally not match fit because I don't see any of the others being able to fill that gap. 

• Options
    Actually think we will win tonight.

I said before we need to improve and quick so hopefully tonight it clicks.

2-0 CAFC (Davison x2)

• Options
    TEL said:
    Tel, is the sky blue, is the sea wet are we Charlton til we die? It’s what we do, over land, sea and Oz! 😉
  • Options
    Gonna swerve this one, simply fed up with watching what we have become. No idea what 11 we will play so can’t possibly predict.

First game I have purposely missed at home without a valid reason in over 40 years, sad times and seemingly getting worse.
  • Options
    The problem we need to overcome is our fragility at the moment. 
  • Options
    I can't see us winning, I think we'll do well to draw.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Feeling positive for this one . 2-1 home win .
    Lee and Washington the scorers  .
  • Options
    We need a win, not to kickstart our season but there's a clear gap emerging between the bottom teams already!
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I'm hearing it's going to be:

Henderson 
    Gunter - Elerewe - Famewo - Roddy
    Watson - Arter
    Jaiyesimi - Morgan - Kirk
    Schwartz 

Schwartz with an unexpected early return from injury.
    What’s Charlton’s biggest ever loss at home in the league?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I'm hearing it's going to be:

Henderson 
    Gunter - Elerewe - Famewo - Roddy
    Watson - Arter
    Jaiyesimi - Morgan - Kirk
    Schwartz 

Schwartz with an unexpected early return from injury.
    Mate please tell me your on a wind up ????
  • Options
    They are an organised confident side with a set style of play. We are a disorganised rabble, without a plan. 0-3.
  • Options
    Anyone know what time the Fans Bar opens tonight? The match preview on the OS referenced it but no opening time.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    If Adkins has no fecking clue what his best 11 is then darned if I do.

If the "non injured" players were all available I'd go with:

Matthew's Famewo Lavelle  Souare
    Lee  Gilbey Clare  CBT
    Davison Leko

However, as some players are not up to full fitness I dont expect Souare or Gilbey to start, with Purrington & Dobson taking their places. I also expect "just for emergencies" Pearce to play his 3rd game in a week, replacing "probably now wont sign him" Famewo. Of course the Big Mac is in goal. 

Head says Bolton to win but "Adkins to stay one for week" will mean a win & we all go again. 

3-2

• Options
    Chunes said:
    Stockley hasn't done anything to deserve a starting place, for me. I do understand the argument that we don't play to his strengths, but that's essentially hoofing it up to him so he can nod it to a partner, and I don't want to watch that.
    Although perhaps you could equally argue that Stockley deserves better service and support from a better shape and gameplan?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well atleast we have the anticipation of waiting for the team to be announced ! I would be suprised if anyone could actually correctly name the starting 11 correctly before it is announced. If Dazzlers is correct I want a refund on my stream purchase 
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    Well atleast we have the anticipation of waiting for the team to be announced ! I would be suprised if anyone could actually correctly name the starting 11 correctly before it is announced. If Dazzlers is correct I want a refund on my stream purchase 
    So would I and I haven't even paid for the stream!
  • Options
    Anyone know what time the Fans Bar opens tonight? The match preview on the OS referenced it but no opening time.
    I'm in the phone queue now trying find out. 
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    Well atleast we have the anticipation of waiting for the team to be announced ! I would be suprised if anyone could actually correctly name the starting 11 correctly before it is announced. 
    Despite trying to do so until 3 am, the Cowley brothers at Portsmouth said they couldn't guess our lineup either.

If the professionals can't do it, the rest of us have no chance! :smile:

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Oggy Red said:
    AndyG said:
    Well atleast we have the anticipation of waiting for the team to be announced ! I would be suprised if anyone could actually correctly name the starting 11 correctly before it is announced. 
    Despite trying to do so until 3 am, the Cowley brothers at Portsmouth said they couldn't guess our lineup either.

I suspect it will be the team that started the 2nd half against Pompey, with maybe Purrington in. 
  • Options
    It is in some ways a positive. Everybody could predict our starting eleven v Sheffield Wednesday. It is so Charlton that the solution always becomes the problem down the line!
  • Options
    @MartinCAFC ticket office didn't know, hospitality office is shut and nobody is answering the main entrance phone.

Website says 3 hours before games, so I'll be pissed off if it's still shut when I arrive at 6. Tbh, 10 games into the season you'd think things like opening times wouldn't be too hard to find out. 
  • Options
    Someone is going to take a right tonking off us at some stage.

Sadly it won’t be Bolton and it won’t be this season.

0-1.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Oggy Red said:
    AndyG said:

I suspect it will be the team that started the 2nd half against Pompey, with maybe Purrington in. 
    I don't know. I can't guess it either! :smile:

• Options
    edited September 2021
    TEL said:
    Probably better 6.10am
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!