Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Verdicts on the Bond film?(Danger spoiler alert)

123457»

Comments

• Options
    I'm in a tiny tiny minority but I really like the over the top Brosnan Bond. I like watching Bond use outrageous gadgets and there being far fetched supervillains 
    Goldeneye is still probably my favourite Bond film, Tomorrow Never Dies and The World is Not Enough good too, but then they say you like your first Bond etc I was the right age when Goldeneye (the game too, what a game!) came out.

Brosnan was a really good Bond, decent on the action set pieces but did the raised eyebrow bit well but without it being too OTT.

Die Another Day sucked though.

They need to do something different.  We've had the gritty/more realistic reboot, so anything similar would feel like repeating themselves.
  • Options
    I'm in a tiny tiny minority but I really like the over the top Brosnan Bond. I like watching Bond use outrageous gadgets and there being far fetched supervillains 
    Goldeneye is still probably my favourite Bond film, Tomorrow Never Dies and The World is Not Enough good too, but then they say you like your first Bond etc I was the right age when Goldeneye (the game too, what a game!) came out.

Brosnan was a really good Bond, decent on the action set pieces but did the raised eyebrow bit well but without it being too OTT.

They need to do something different.  We've had the gritty/more realistic reboot, so anything similar would feel like repeating themselves.
    The games around that era were absolute perfection! Nightfire was an underrated one
  • Options

The games around that era were absolute perfection! Nightfire was an underrated one
    Brosnan ate funny and ran a bit weird as well.
  • Options
    Agree, liked Brosnan, had a certain smoothness and arrogance to him 
  • Options
    I saw it the other night. Not been into Bond since the early eighties as nothing can beat films like Diamonds are Forever, Live & Let Die or Man with the Golden Gun. Which is why I post this.....

People moaning saying Bond is dead/isn't dead don't get the irony. If Bond is "real" then he would be about 100 now....yet is played (lately) as someone in his late forties/early fifties. How old was "Bond" when Roger Moore jumped over the sharks in the 70's......has he not aged since ? Sean Connery looked ancient with his hairpiece in Never Say Never.....and that was 40 years ago. 

And the moniker 007 was passed back & forth in this last film, so no constant there either. 

But like I say, I'm not a Bond aficionado so I expect some bright spark will now tell me about time continums or suchlike.

To me it's a film. No more, no less.
    Fucking hell mate, I’m so glad you pointed that out, makes sense now you put it like that.

What are your thoughts on Batman?
  • Options
    I saw it the other night. Not been into Bond since the early eighties as nothing can beat films like Diamonds are Forever, Live & Let Die or Man with the Golden Gun. Which is why I post this.....

People moaning saying Bond is dead/isn't dead don't get the irony. If Bond is "real" then he would be about 100 now....yet is played (lately) as someone in his late forties/early fifties. How old was "Bond" when Roger Moore jumped over the sharks in the 70's......has he not aged since ? Sean Connery looked ancient with his hairpiece in Never Say Never.....and that was 40 years ago. 

And the moniker 007 was passed back & forth in this last film, so no constant there either. 

But like I say, I'm not a Bond aficionado so I expect some bright spark will now tell me about time continums or suchlike.

To me it's a film. No more, no less.
    Fucking hell mate, I’m so glad you pointed that out, makes sense now you put it like that.

What are your thoughts on Batman?

• Options
    I definitely think it’ll be a complete reboot of James Bond probably starting at the point he joined MI6 from being a Commander in The Royal Navy. It allows them to revisit pretty much anything they want in terms of Ian Flemings books and introduce new versions of M, Moneypenny, Q, and Felix Leiter. Anything else seems unlikely to me. If it was a a continuation of what we’ve seen before where the actor playing Bond leaves and is just picked up by the new actor a la Doctor Who then why bother definitively killing off Daniel Craig’s bond or Felix Leiter. It does mean a much younger Bond which might be able to drag in the under 25’s audience. 🤷🏻‍♂️
    Kingsman could easily be seen as silly version of a similar story. 

I would love for a re-boot from the off. You could then also trigger the start of using 'Whatever First Name' Bond 007 as the agent monikers moving forward, starting with James.
  • Options
    Has Bond died at the end of any of the previous films?
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    No
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I definitely think it’ll be a complete reboot of James Bond probably starting at the point he joined MI6 from being a Commander in The Royal Navy. It allows them to revisit pretty much anything they want in terms of Ian Flemings books and introduce new versions of M, Moneypenny, Q, and Felix Leiter. Anything else seems unlikely to me. If it was a a continuation of what we’ve seen before where the actor playing Bond leaves and is just picked up by the new actor a la Doctor Who then why bother definitively killing off Daniel Craig’s bond or Felix Leiter. It does mean a much younger Bond which might be able to drag in the under 25’s audience. 🤷🏻‍♂️
    Yeah good call. I think they'll go younger. A bit like when Jack Ryan got rebooted (three times!). The Craig era was the first time they properly rebooted the character so from now on they need to do a hard reboot every time they change actor, which means they've painted themselves into a corner to some extent. They'll get away with it this time if it's different enough. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    No, but he was supposed to be killed twice in the books - at the end of From Russia With Love and then again in You Only Live Twice. Fleming had either got bored of him or just fed up with being "writer of James Bond" but popularity and money bought 007 back both times.

Both of those endings were considerably more ambiguous than "bleeding to death on an island getting atomised by missiles" mind you.