Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next Manager??

Comments

• Options
    could anyone actually name 100 out of work managers??
    No, stupid statement from TS, sometimes its better to say nothing at all.
    Not really... Probably got a good number of coaches who are trying to get into Management themselves.

After all he said "100 applicants", not 100 out of work Managers

Take Eddie Newton who was a coach @ Chelsea for example

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11668/12040129/eddie-newton-lack-of-opportunity-forced-me-abroad

Wouldnt surprise me if there are various amounts of coaches / ex-Managers who are applying for anything any everything that comes up in the hope that they'll finally be taken seriously and given the opportunity.
    Fair point and I never took the comment as 100 managers had applied, however I would be surprised if 100 people have applied made up of managers, assistants, coaches and nut jobs.

I may be wrong but I get the feeling TS is playing it up to look like we are an attractive proposition than we really are.

He does not have to do that, just keep a low profile and let JJ do his job. 
  • Options
    And there is no reason to presume all the applicants are out of work either. Could well be a few ambitious League Two managers deciding to chance their arm. 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    The more interesting part of that interview in the Sun.

Sandgaard revealed he has been inundated with applications and explained exactly the sort of person he is looking for.

He said: “It’s over 100 applicants now. We’ve had some good ones and hopefuls that wish the spotlight to fall upon them.

“We’ve had high-quality managers in touch who have been successful at different levels.

The person who gets the job must be someone who knows how to play modern-day football and what a high press means.

“You can play a high press but if you don’t do it in a co-ordinated manner, you’re going to get into trouble.

“It has to be someone who understands League One and the level above.

“A manager must understand what may seem really good in games, like mixing it up, isn’t necessarily a good thing because we should be consistent in what we’re trying to do.

“It has to be someone who is a good people’s man too. We have a lot of players who need development so it must be someone who is good at managing that side of things too.”

Hmmm hasn't this been half the problem though?

Under Adkins the players looked lost when it went long, according to Adkins at their own will, which I guess would explain why no fucker was ever close to Stockley/ knock-downs etc.

The bottom half of league one ain't really the time or place for basing your gameplan on peak Barcelona. Getting the ball up to the big man quickly either centrally or wide is, frankly, a necessity in this league, doesn't have to be your sole game plan, but you need it and mixing it up in games is 100% a good thing, otherwise you become predictable and easy to work out...
    Yes, but not to the extent that Adkins seems to have gone to where by most accounts the players didn't even know what they were meant to be doing.

Contrast that to JJ's new shape where the defence changes shape if we're attacking or defending but every player knows their responsibility.

Flexibility is needed... In the right circumstances. Changes for change's sake is not. 

We wasn't  flexible under Adkins at all, just changing 3 players at a time.

BUT isn't what we're seeing now what Sandgaard is saying he DOESN'T want? Isn't that bold statement exactly the chalk and cheese between JJ and Adkins? Adkins stuck religiously to the gameplan JJ is mixing it up?

• Options
    Please don’t do it at Christmas TS, I still have nightmares:

• Options
    could anyone actually name 100 out of work managers??
    No, stupid statement from TS, sometimes its better to say nothing at all.
    Not really... Probably got a good number of coaches who are trying to get into Management themselves.

After all he said "100 applicants", not 100 out of work Managers

Take Eddie Newton who was a coach @ Chelsea for example

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11668/12040129/eddie-newton-lack-of-opportunity-forced-me-abroad

Wouldnt surprise me if there are various amounts of coaches / ex-Managers who are applying for anything any everything that comes up in the hope that they'll finally be taken seriously and given the opportunity.
    Absolutely. We know Jason has shown interest in getting the driving seat and I’m sure he has applied for managers posts in the past. Why wouldn’t he. I’m guessing that the majority of applicants are people in similar positions to Jason or for that matter Johnnie Jackson prior to getting the caretaker role. It’s just progression of talent. Add to that group experienced between job managers and probably a surprise or two.
  • Options
    Kips said:
    Scoham said:
    I prefer the Jimmy Saville one that's doing the rounds at the moment. Perhaps Leeds Utd have posted that one as he's one of their own..

• Options
    thenewbie said:

Sandgaard revealed he has been inundated with applications and explained exactly the sort of person he is looking for.

He said: “It’s over 100 applicants now. We’ve had some good ones and hopefuls that wish the spotlight to fall upon them.

“We’ve had high-quality managers in touch who have been successful at different levels.

The person who gets the job must be someone who knows how to play modern-day football and what a high press means.

“You can play a high press but if you don’t do it in a co-ordinated manner, you’re going to get into trouble.

“A manager must understand what may seem really good in games, like mixing it up, isn’t necessarily a good thing because we should be consistent in what we’re trying to do.

“It has to be someone who is a good people’s man too. We have a lot of players who need development so it must be someone who is good at managing that side of things too.”

Under Adkins the players looked lost when it went long, according to Adkins at their own will, which I guess would explain why no fucker was ever close to Stockley/ knock-downs etc.

The bottom half of league one ain't really the time or place for basing your gameplan on peak Barcelona. Getting the ball up to the big man quickly either centrally or wide is, frankly, a necessity in this league, doesn't have to be your sole game plan, but you need it and mixing it up in games is 100% a good thing, otherwise you become predictable and easy to work out...
    Yes, but not to the extent that Adkins seems to have gone to where by most accounts the players didn't even know what they were meant to be doing.

Contrast that to JJ's new shape where the defence changes shape if we're attacking or defending but every player knows their responsibility.

Flexibility is needed... In the right circumstances. Changes for change's sake is not. 

BUT isn't what we're seeing now what Sandgaard is saying he DOESN'T want? Isn't that bold statement exactly the chalk and cheese between JJ and Adkins? Adkins stuck religiously to the gameplan JJ is mixing it up?

Not really? I think you are just deeply over-analysing the comment here honestly. 
  • Options
    on one hand, i think its a fair enough statement and tells everybody, including jacko, what the situation is - on the other hand, the tactical stuff is a bit of a concern and harps back to some sort of rigid 'club' way of playing - may have some merit in theory but not sure that hasn't been the root of the problem - particularly if the way chosen don't work 
  • Options
    Would be interesting if that's TS's actual beliefs or just parroting the stuff Roddy tells him we want. 
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Trouser press.

The Classic Corby Trouser Press - Hammacher Schlemmer

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Printing press.

printing press  Invention Definition History Gutenberg amp Facts   Britannica
  • Options
    Express.

Live Orient Express steam train to pass through Bristol twice - Bristol  Live
  • Options
    Depress -

• Options
    Stop the press

• Options
    edited November 2021
    thenewbie said:
    thenewbie said:

Not really? I think you are just deeply over-analysing the comment here honestly. 

I'm really not tbh. Merely offering a point of debate.

That's how I interpreted that statement, not sure how else to as I don't really subscribe to the whole "Ged Roddy evil genius" stuff. If Sandgaard says what he wants from a manager I assume that's what he wants, and is that what Jackson is/ can give him or someone else (probably someone that hasn't worked with Roddy before but will have been decided he had) 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    on one hand, i think its a fair enough statement and tells everybody, including jacko, what the situation is - on the other hand, the tactical stuff is a bit of a concern and harps back to some sort of rigid 'club' way of playing - may have some merit in theory but not sure that hasn't been the root of the problem - particularly if the way chosen don't work 
    The rigid club way of playing is a good idea if you recruit the right players to play it. 

4231 with a high press isn't a bad way of playing in its self.  If it was so many clubs wouldn't play it.  
  • Options
    stay press
    Sta Press Stay Press Trousers various colours
  • Options
    Sandwich press

Breville VST025 Sandwich  Panini Press - Stainless Steel 0
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    The rigid club way of playing is a good idea if you recruit the right players to play it. 

4231 with a high press isn't a bad way of playing in its self.  If it was so many clubs wouldn't play it.  
    maybe - u certainly can't play a target man as the lone striker though - i don't know any other team that does that - its normally someone with a bit of physicality but with mobility who can pull the defence around and run the channels 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    clive said:
    Justin Allen in todays 'Sun'

THOMAS SANDGAARD will wait until Christmas time to appoint a new manager at Charlton.
    The League One Addicks owner revealed he has received more than 100 applicants to replace sacked Nigel Adkins – but rather than rush into recruiting someone he wants time to find the right man.

The American-based Danish businessman told me: “I’m not in a hurry and have told Johnnie that. So it’ll be 60 days before I make a decision.

“He gets a chance to stake a claim and it gives me a chance to see what is out there. And then we’ll see what’s right.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/16589917/refs-michael-salisbury-andy-davies-var-championship/

He shouldn't have publicly said that.  He didn't need to.

it's Jackson's job to lose, until its not. The same as any manager, caretaker or other wise.

It's sensible to do it but he has now given himself an artificial deadline. When he didn't need to. 
    I think he is pretty much saying that. At least I hope he is. The fact of the matter is, if JJ does well, there is no way he won't appoint him and he has actually put a time on it which actually lets JJ know where he stands.

We have to make allowances for language but nobody can have any arguments with how we are playing. Sandgaard would be a massive idiot if he or anybody in his SMT were inputting tactics when not invited to or needed at this time. As a general principle of playing attacking football, I don't have a problem with that and I'm sure JJ won't. But don't shackle the man please.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:

maybe - u certainly can't play a target man as the lone striker though - i don't know any other team that does that - its normally someone with a bit of physicality but with mobility who can pull the defence around and run the channels 
    Which is one of the reasons why this formation is flawed at L1 level. There just aren't many of those players with that quality and versatility playing down here. Didn't work for robinson or adkins.
  • Options
    I really wish TS would stick to funding us and let football people talk about football matters. And 100 applicants......really!
    When you siphon out all the shit, I'd be surprised if there's less than 10 realistic applicants.

Not really sure what he's said wrong there 
  • Options
    We've got the manager we need, time to close the thread.

Johnnie Jackson's Red and White Army!!!

For those proclaiming I was being far too premature has tonight gone any further to proving JJ’s credentials? 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:

It worked last season......... 

I am not saying your wrong but everyone knew why we were signing Stockley. 
  • Options
    Another side to his ability tonight, coming back from a HT blow against the best team in the league. 

His stock goes up.
    I think this is right. Overall we had the better chances and on another day we win a tight game against as good as we will face at this level.