Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next Manager??

Comments

• Options
    Kips said:
    Gribbo said:

He's probably talking about the time he bumped into me and a couple of others. We were mooching round to the Liberal Club from the Horse and he come limping up Harvey Garden on crutches. It during an early 90's game against Blackburn or possibly Newcastle. Had a good chat with him, he said he'd come down to see Kenny Dalglish.

Pretty sure that was v Blackburn during our famous 1994 FA cup run. I saw him too near the club shop. He was an up and coming talent in those days.
    Yeah I'm sure it was too, but KD left Blackburn around that time, so thought it was maybe Newcastle
  • Options
    And Dalglish joined Newcastle quite a bit later around 98 I think. By then Fowler was known across the world and wouldn't have been hobbling round Charlton on crutches!
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Kips said:
    Gribbo said:

He's probably talking about the time he bumped into me and a couple of others. We were mooching round to the Liberal Club from the Horse and he come limping up Harvey Garden on crutches. It during an early 90's game against Blackburn or possibly Newcastle. Had a good chat with him, he said he'd come down to see Kenny Dalglish.

Pretty sure that was v Blackburn during our famous 1994 FA cup run. I saw him too near the club shop. He was an up and coming talent in those days.
    Yeah I'm sure it was too, but KD left Blackburn around that time, so thought it was maybe Newcastle
    Left Blackburn in 96 didn’t he? Was defo there in 95 anyway! 
  • Options
    We've got the manager we need, time to close the thread.

Johnnie Jackson's Red and White Army!!!
    👍
  • Options
    If Jacko goes unbeaten in the next three, and wins one or two in that run, he's getting the job.
  • Options
    Still too early to say for me but two wins is a great start. We need to show some resilience now but I wouldn’t want him replaced until he’s had ten games. 
  • Options
    So we give him a long contract after a six game unbeaten run and straight after everything turns to shit and we don't win again.

That's the 'ever the optimist' Charlton voice in my head.

I do wish it would f**k off sometimes!
  • Options
    I think JJ has already proved himself, he’s done his coaching badges and knows the squad, what makes any Adkins / League One manager as worthy as the job as him?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
     Truthfully as I’ve already said, JJ wasn’t the way I’d have gone and two games doesn’t change that. The biggest decision was to get shot of Adkins(sadly). It was always likely we’d pick up whomever was put in charge.Without doubt I’m happy to see how things go with him now he has the temporary position, but he has to be producing after at least ten games. I’m enjoying the ride at the moment, but with optimistic caution. I do like the cut of JJ’s jib, but actions speak louder than words, I’m hoping my theory of timing not being quite right is bollox and be happily wrong. All I want is to see more of the same from the last two performances.
  • Options
    Still want to see Jacko in a situation where we’re chasing a game, or what happens when it doesn’t work out of the box, and can he change it.

I want it to work for Jacko, think he’ll be brilliant  
  • Options
    We've got the manager we need, time to close the thread.

Johnnie Jackson's Red and White Army!!!
    Still to early yet … can’t go throwing 3 year contracts around after just two games 

• Options
    Still too early to say for me but two wins is a great start. We need to show some resilience now but I wouldn’t want him replaced until he’s had ten games. 
    Still too early for me as well. No one can deny the early signs are promising and we look like a totally different team but we've beaten Sunderland (we're their bogey side) and Doncaster (who are absolutely dreadful and had lost 7 out of 7 away games this season).

Forgetting the cup games, i think the next 3 leagues game will give us the answer of just how good Jackson is.

Rotherham at home (a side i think will be right in the hunt for automatic promotion)
    Burton away (solid enough side, tough away game)
    Plymouth home (league leaders)

Good results in those 3 and the job is his.
    Do agree with some of what your saying, but  bogey side? What does that have to do with anything? So under Adkins we would have won?!
  • Options
    At the ten game point we’ll be able to realistically assess if progress has been made and perhaps more importantly if we can see if enough progress can be made to take us out of this shitty division. That’s when I’ll decide, but so far so good.
  • Options
    Still too early for me as well. No one can deny the early signs are promising and we look like a totally different team but we've beaten Sunderland (we're their bogey side) and Doncaster (who are absolutely dreadful and had lost 7 out of 7 away games this season).

Forgetting the cup games, i think the next 3 leagues game will give us the answer of just how good Jackson is.

Rotherham at home (a side i think will be right in the hunt for automatic promotion)
    Burton away (solid enough side, tough away game)
    Plymouth home (league leaders)

Good results in those 3 and the job is his.
    Do agree with some of what your saying, but  bogey side? What does that have to do with anything? So under Adkins we would have won?!
    I have no doubt that under Adkins, Sunderland would've murdered us.

But it's perfectly feasible that we beat Sunderland because of a new manager bounce. It's also perfectly feasible that we would've beaten an awful Doncaster side even with Adkins in charge (although it probably wouldn't have been 4-0). 

Like i said the early signs are promising but i think we still need to see a few more games before we decide. If take 5 points minimum from the next 3 games, then i think he'll get the job.
  • Options
    Not sure if this is the right thread, but I found it interesting given links/comparisons were made after the Adkins appointment, but things are apparently not going swimmingly for the Brothers Cowley. 

https://www.football365.com/news/opinion-portsmouth-managers-cowley-batman-robin-league-one?
  • Options
    Time to close this thread? We have our manager now :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:
    I prefer the Jimmy Saville one that's doing the rounds at the moment. Perhaps Leeds Utd have posted that one as he's one of their own..
  • Options
    The answer is Johnny Jackson.

Close thread.
    I must insist.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Still want to see Jacko in a situation where we’re chasing a game, or what happens when it doesn’t work out of the box, and can he change it.

I want it to work for Jacko, think he’ll be brilliant  

When we were 0-2 down earlier this year and came back 3-2.

We all know what happens when the contract is signed.

We will go on a little bad run.

I say, give him the job but keep it under wraps and don't make it "official" until the summer.

I can't remember us having a blip when bowyer signed his deal though?

It's just what happens....for some strange reason 
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    I think Sandgaard has told JJ that he will give him a chance to earn the job. That would have meant he has got to hit the ground running results and performance wise and that is what he is doing. I have been calling for JJ to be given a chance  for a long time but I haven't got a problem with him remaining caretaker for a while yet (a month or two or even until the end of the season). It gives him security because if it didn't work out it isn't a sacking and he can remain as coach. But he wants it, and has wanted it for a few years now and I think he is showing that he has the ability to get it which nobody could know for certain and is something we should all be chuffed about.

I am sure that JJ has enough confidence in his ability not to be focusing on the status of his job and more the next game. The reason Adkins had to go was he had a very strong instrument i.e. the squad on paper and Jackson has inherited that, but the difference with JJ is, he seems to know how to get a tune out of it. 
  • Options
    I really want JJ to succeed as my biggest fear is bringing in another manager who is past his best. 

The initial signs look promising and the players definitely underperforned with Adkins at the helm.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    He still needs to earn his spurs yet. Beating Donny might be one thing but the sterner test is yet to come.......beating Havant & Waterloovile .....😄.
  • Options
    The last two performances under JJ have been great. Yes, there are sterner tests coming but it's a great start.