Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next Manager??

1171819202123»

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2021
    I don't think there's any great surprise in that interview?

We've known, or at least had the idea of what Sandgaard wants to see on the pitch and there was that interview from a couple of weeks back where he outlayed what he expects from his manager (although apparently that was "reading too much into it").

Sounds like Jackson has said what was going wrong on the pitch under Adkins and has been allowed to change it up, but, not a long term outlook - unless Jackson can deliver it...

Shame, and, tbh, a bit baffling, we're in league one, concentrate on the basics, get that right then progress and plan a Charlton footballing revolution.

• Options
    I am sure that TS wants Jacko to succeed and be in a position to offer him the job permanently.
    It is strange that Corey-Blackett has signed a new contract when the new manager might not want him, that is why I think TS is confident that Jacko will get the results needed enabling him to offer a contract.
    Whatever happens, if we are to have a change of manager it needs to be done before January.
    That is assuming we have a budget.
  • Options
    I'm not on twitter, so go by what you guys say or my son passes on to me but how many people told Thomas Sandgaard that the whole backroom staff should go with Adkins, including JJ "because he is part of the problem" 
    Sandgaard must feel Cafc fan base change their minds with the weather.

As JJ said last night on Zoom with CAST, he had different ideas to Adkins but now he's the interim manager ( JJ words) then he decides how the team is set up and 3-5-2 was the way to start the improvement but may have to adapt depending on who is fit and the form of players. He agrees with me (lol) that two up front is paramount to success in League 1.
    TS reads most comments on Twitter & the room is pretty split on there. He seems to feel a handful of games isn’t enough to give him a contract & rightfully so as there is no rush. He takes things on Twitter with a pinch of salt but he does read most comments to gauge opinion so is aware of fans feelings.
  • Options
    If JJ goes on a terrible run, fair enough but what we don't want to see is him doing a decent job and unfairly being replaced. That will be very unpopular with supporters and won't be fair on any new manager. It will also prove to me that we are being run by people trying to be too clever. It is something I don't currently know, but I fear. The saying, if it isn't broke don't fix it works everywhere, including football.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    pettgra said:
    I am sure that TS wants Jacko to succeed and be in a position to offer him the job permanently.
    It is strange that Corey-Blackett has signed a new contract when the new manager might not want him, that is why I think TS is confident that Jacko will get the results needed enabling him to offer a contract.
    Whatever happens, if we are to have a change of manager it needs to be done before January.
    That is assuming we have a budget.
    Assuming they actually have a say in what is done in January. 
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    _MrDick said:
    I reckon Thomas is going to see how things pan out over the next six weeks. We’ve got eight matches in that period. If we can win five or six of those, we’re right back in the mix and the job is Jacko’s.  If we drop away, we’ll have to rethink the options. There’s no rush to give Jacko the job
    This is what I said two weeks ago. What TS is doing is sensible, IMO. He’s not rushing into a decision and keeping his options open.  He’ll do what’s right for CAFC and Jacko will understand that. 
    This!
    And dare I say it the timing might be just about motivation.

Announce Jacko on the pitch Saturday, everyone is happy, we do a total Charlton & get thumped 0-4. And go on a loosing streak & end up back at square one.

This way, Jacko is pumped, the players are pumped & the crowd spend the whole day singing Jacko’s name. Maybe just maybe everyone (apart from Plymouth) is a winner 🤔🤷‍♀️😁😁

Patience, let’s just get behind the Club ❤️
    Totally agree, if the players want Jacko to get the job, it’s down them. All they have to do is perform on the pitch
  • Options
    Damning with faint praise, sums up that interview. 

I can understand not rushing into the decision (which dare I say it is that we did last time when Adkins was appointed, instead of giving Jacko a longer period as caretaker), but that interview did seem to be deliberately downplaying Jacko's achievements since he took over.

e.g. "we’ve probably got the best squad" - i.e. any half decent manager should be winning games with our squad
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    _MrDick said:
    _MrDick said:
    I reckon Thomas is going to see how things pan out over the next six weeks. We’ve got eight matches in that period. If we can win five or six of those, we’re right back in the mix and the job is Jacko’s.  If we drop away, we’ll have to rethink the options. There’s no rush to give Jacko the job
    This is what I said two weeks ago. What TS is doing is sensible, IMO. He’s not rushing into a decision and keeping his options open.  He’ll do what’s right for CAFC and Jacko will understand that. 
    This!
    And dare I say it the timing might be just about motivation.

Announce Jacko on the pitch Saturday, everyone is happy, we do a total Charlton & get thumped 0-4. And go on a loosing streak & end up back at square one.

This way, Jacko is pumped, the players are pumped & the crowd spend the whole day singing Jacko’s name. Maybe just maybe everyone (apart from Plymouth) is a winner 🤔🤷‍♀️😁😁

Patience, let’s just get behind the Club ❤️
    Totally agree, if the players want Jacko to get the job, it’s down them. All they have to do is perform on the pitch
    10 points from 4, shows the players are doing on the can on that front 
  • Options
    Damning with faint praise, sums up that interview. 

I can understand not rushing into the decision (which dare I say it is that we did last time when Adkins was appointed, instead of giving Jacko a longer period as caretaker), but that interview did seem to be deliberately downplaying Jacko's achievements since he took over.

e.g. "we’ve probably got the best squad" - i.e. any half decent manager should be winning games with our squad
    Purely a guess but having got his fingers burned over certain infamous comments last season (and possibly some of his comments about Adkins' results) its possible that Sandgaard has over-corrected too far the other direction.

He probably genuinely would be better saying much less in general perhaps but I don't think that's his style or personality to do. 
  • Options
    I think TS commenting that JJ isn’t a fait accompli is surely what we should expect and want to hear. It would be more disconcerting to me if I found out a thorough search hadn’t been carried out. This appointment is so important. Every Avenue needs to be explored. I’m sure it’s still Jackson’s job to lose. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What is more important is what Thomas says to JJ rather than what he says publicly via an interview.
  • Options
    I think TS commenting that JJ isn’t a fait accompli is surely what we should expect and want to hear. It would be more disconcerting to me if I found out a thorough search hadn’t been carried out. This appointment is so important. Every Avenue needs to be explored. I’m sure it’s still Jackson’s job to lose. 
    TS could have worded things very differently though

"Johnnie's doing a great job, I'm delighted by how things are going. It's only right though that I don't rush into this decision, and that I explore all avenues before making this decision. Johnnie would expect that."
  • Options
    edited November 2021
  • Options

Sensible words Guru, and despite being in the camp that wants the Full time job given to JJ yesterday, could it be the next month is to keep the players 100% motivated and at full throttle as well as the process of seeing who is interested in the job.

Michael Beale obviously was one of the myriad of applicants from when he was still at Rangers. As soon as Stevie G went to Villa, Beale commited to be the coach as the Cafc job hadn't been offered to him as the process at Cafc was still ongoing and JJ was exceptional from match one at Sunderland.