Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Give Jacko The Job (He got given it on page 31...)

Comments

• edited December 2021
    Okay.

How many games is that? P12, W8, D2, L2. (All comps)

Give him the job.
  • Announcement on Christmas Day. TS dressed as Santa dropping of a contract to Jacko. Followed by a rendition of Addicks to Victory.
  • Minto obviously contractually advised not to mention it.
  • Most important win for me tonight, that good a performance after a couple of disappointing results shows so much.
  • It now seems a question of when, not if, Jackson is handed the Charlton gig on a permanent basis.

Asked when there might be news on that front, he responded: “It’s a question for Mr Sandgaard, isn’t it? You probably don’t believe me when I keep saying it, but we are in positive discussions. I’m hopeful we can get it sorted soon. Performances like that are only going to help.”

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-caretaker-boss-johnnie-jackson-win-over-ipswich-is-out-best-display-yet-under-me/
  • and I bet Jacko is going to be a more expensive hire now than he would have been 2 months ago 
  • There will be meetings and conversations that have happened that we aren’t privy to. I’m pretty sure it’s all done and dusted and has been for a while.

Why it hasn’t been announced is another matter.
  • Sponsored links:

• Tonight's win shows the good run was more than a new manager bounce and he deserves it ASAP
  • Based on JJs quote, it sounds like they are negotiating a contract.  Not worried. this will get done soon. People need to relax a little
    Agree, I’m sure it’ll be done in the near future.
  • Based on JJs quote, it sounds like they are negotiating a contract.  Not worried. this will get done soon. People need to relax a little
    I think its done in the sense of length, terms etc but there's a few details yet to be  tweaked - Contractual stipulations about exactly what is and isn't his remit in terms of transfers for example. 
  • Maybe the lack of praise shows that TS has matured slightly in the context of not inviting eyes. 

At the moment it feels a bit like our signing of Stockley which we expected much earlier. We only moved to seal the deal when Portsmouth came in.
  • and I bet Jacko is going to be a more expensive hire now than he would have been 2 months ago 
    It might not even be the money side that is causing the delay it could be Jacko demanding more say in transfers and Tommy wanting to stick to the scheme.
  • thenewbie said:
    Based on JJs quote, it sounds like they are negotiating a contract.  Not worried. this will get done soon. People need to relax a little
    I think its done in the sense of length, terms etc but there's a few details yet to be  tweaked - Contractual stipulations about exactly what is and isn't his remit in terms of transfers and for example. 
    I think that’s right - SG has leapfrogged our mate roddy in the hierarchy recently and I reckon JJ is insisting on the same - a restructuring and going by what Adrian Durham said on talk sport I reckon this will be done and dusted pretty soon 
    It might not even be the money side that is causing the delay it could be Jacko demanding more say in transfers and Tommy wanting to stick to the scheme.
    Or trying to work out what Roddy can do without having to pay him off. 
  • Sponsored links:

But under Roland...
  • Ipswich need a new manager. An offer to approach him, might bring it to the owners attention and stop mucking about now. 
  • Other than Richard Murray part one when he still made decent decisions before he lost his Midas touch, most Charlton owners had been shocking over the vast amount of decades that I have been emotionally involved with Cafc.

I and many others can't be cool and relaxed about the 48 days( thanks to Mendonca in Asda) despite there only being one outcome now.
  • DOUCHER said:
    thenewbie said:
    Based on JJs quote, it sounds like they are negotiating a contract.  Not worried. this will get done soon. People need to relax a little
    I think its done in the sense of length, terms etc but there's a few details yet to be  tweaked - Contractual stipulations about exactly what is and isn't his remit in terms of transfers and for example. 
    I think that’s right - SG has leapfrogged our mate roddy in the hierarchy recently and I reckon JJ is insisting on the same - a restructuring and going by what Adrian Durham said on talk sport I reckon this will be done and dusted pretty soon 

Addickted said:

What did he say? 
  • 12 days to go.
    As long as Jacko gets the job I am admiring Sandgaard sticking to his original word/plan.
    The one caveat is if it affects planning for the transfer window.
  • It’s borderline insulting now.

weird
    Absolutely this, starting to take the piss. Has to be sorted before Saturday. 
  • Anyone can see he's got the job already. Only a complete fool would not give him it.

Jacko is a perfect fit for Charlton, and the club needs him.

• It’s borderline insulting now.

weird
    I agree. 

I fully understood Thomas needing time to get it right. I fully understood the argument that you need to assess a bit beyond "new manager bounce". Yet you could not look for a better assessment of that supposed phenomenon than last night, against a big team, coming off a couple of off-colour league results (albeit with strong mitigating circs. regarding like having only one fit senior centre-back). The evidence is now so obvious and overwhelming that Thomas is in danger of looking ridiculous- nationally - if he doesn't now move to close the deal.

What could be the delay?

If it's financial that's frankly a bit silly. Thomas should have had a good idea of the package to be offered before he put Johnnie on his trial period. That's what happens out here, where even the most senior jobs are subject to a 3-month trial period for both sides, enshrined in law. The candidate knows upfront what the package will be if the trial period goes well. Among other things that ensures nobody else swoops in on the candidate by making them feel more 'wanted'. It's like hiring 101. I can't believe this is the reason for delay, therefore. 

So that leaves this rather shadowy supposed issue of The Grand Plan, or whatever people call it, and whether Johnnie is "on message" with it. Now, this whole thing may be a load of social media hysteria, but we know that Thomas wants to put a structure in place. As I understand it, it's a structure to provide a strong production line of young talent which we can build around, and sell when necessary. I think we are all basically up for that. But then there are these darker mutterings about it going as far as other people deciding on which players come in, and even tactical formations. I still find both concepts ridiculous. But in the unlikely event that there is something in it, Thomas should now consider some compelling evidence:

JJ had no say in building the current squad. A few weeks ago people were writing off the new arrivals as duds.  Well look at Clare and especially Dobson now. Look at the balance in the team now, as Curbs was saying last night. At the back, in midfield, upfront. Look at how JJ is creating decent wing-backs out of players whose  career was not in that role. Curbs also asked whether the switch to 2 up front benefits Stockley, or Washington, more. The answer, he concluded, is it benefits both of them. I thought last night was Conor's best game for us. He showed why he is an international regular. Not since the brief Taylor-Grant spell have we had such a natural front partnership, and its only going to get better. I simply cannot believe that any football professional would resist appointing JJ because he has dared to play an "unapproved" formation. Not least because this formation clearly best suits the collection of players that he has *inherited*, thus, to use a business phrase "optimising the investment" which Thomas made in the summer, which I greatly appreciate. Finally there is a vibe I'm picking up from all around the club that finally, we are getting our Charlton back, and several Thomas initiatives, such as Fill the Valley are part of that. There is just this one rather "weird" thing left, which is, why is he procrastinating on this (as it now looks), and is there possibly somebody whispering in his ear? He just needs to clear the air and get this done, and then we will all be on full throttle. We might even fully embrace "Addicks to Victory" (if only he'd turn the amps down from "11").

• Exactly - Ever thought Jacko might be (quietly) happy with not being made perm Manager asap, as every week will increase the £££ on his salary request. Quite rightly too.
  • seth plum said:
    12 days to go.
    As long as Jacko gets the job I am admiring Sandgaard sticking to his original word/plan.
    The one caveat is if it affects planning for the transfer window.
    It already is, Seth. There is no chance whatsoever that even if he makes an appointment this week a new manager could come in and have a significant effect on the transfer window activity. The best options (in the view of the current "committee") have already been identified. Gallen has explained the process and timelines to us more than once.

Looking back on that SLP interview, I found this statement rather worrying : "If there is a better candidate for the club in the near and medium term out there, we’ll simply just go back to the set-up like it was before. Johnnie is a great assistant manager, we already know that, and Jason Euell is a great coach."

In 25 years of recruitment at high level in companies, dealing with ambitious people with significant egos, I never saw one example of somebody ambitious who was temporarily promoted, but then happily returned to the previous position when somebody else was brough in over them.They quickly upped and left the company for another one that wanted them more. I can't believe that Thomas has done that to his senior people at Zynex.

But executive recruitment turned out to be a funny old business, where people much smarter and more high achieving that I was somehow had blind spots, where they forgot that time waits for no one and that in a market economy a good employer and a good employee both have choices. The number of good people I saw slip though my clients' fingers because they procrastinated...hence my increasing angst...