Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Give Jacko The Job (He got given it on page 31...)

Comments

• I have a feeling that JJ will be gone at the end of season.
    Amazing these players are getting backed so much when it’s one of the worst Charlton squads I’ve seen in 30 years. 
  • boggzy said:
    The acid test is how JJ gets on after he leaves to manage a well-run club.
    we are a well run club ….. now 
    No we are not.

Whilst I am grateful for what TS has done I would say we are a long way from being a "well run club".

TS lives thousands of miles away
    No board of Directors overseeing day to day operations at The Valley (no club representation yesterday in the board room at Wigan)
    Our recruitment process is shambolic
    Our current manager does not know if he will be employed in 4 months time
    We do not own our own ground
    We do not own our training ground

I could go on.....

Great post, although I still think TS gets way too much stick, some of it personal as well from the same posters/twitter constantly. 

However, you have made some great points here. Having no club representation at Wigan yesterday is piss poor
  • J BLOCK said:
    DA9 said:
    JJ looks a broken man in the Charlton TV interview, bags under his eyes, body language not good 
    I have heard the same thing from a first team player. 
    I thought he hadn’t been well ? 
    He don’t look great ! 
  • Addick_8 said:
    I have a feeling that JJ will be gone at the end of season.
    Amazing these players are getting backed so much when it’s one of the worst Charlton squads I’ve seen in 30 years. 
    It is without doubt the worst Charlton squad I have seen in 50 years.
    Spot on.
    Although some are still saying they are good enough. 
    Unbelievable really 
  • DA9 said:
    JJ looks a broken man in the Charlton TV interview, bags under his eyes, body language not good 
    Exactly my first thought when seeing both his pre and post match interviews. He didn't look well.

@J BlOCK says above he has heard the same from a player.

If this is the case, how on earth has he got so down after only a few months in the job? Is he really that worried that TS won't renew his contract for next season? 

I want JJ to be here next season and succeed. But seriously if the job is making him that ill after only a few months for the sake of his health and his family he should seriously think about walking away. Wrecking his health for this job is just not worth it. 
    I don’t think a bit of stress isn’t wrecking his health, it’s all part of football’s ups and downs. He needs to learn from defeats rather than get weighed down by them (if indeed that’s what’s happening). 
    I think going a bit OTT in his dressing room speeches might have backfired slightly (“we’ll win the next match, and the one after that”) because it leaves you nowhere to go if you lose. 
    Keep a level head JJ. 
    [Edit: Mind you, Jimmy Seed had a breakdown after he was sacked. But I think he was pretty level headed throughout his career. How many managers last 26 years and only get sacked once though?]
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2022
    Addick_8 said:
    I have a feeling that JJ will be gone at the end of season.
    Worse than last year's? When we were playing Pratley and Watson in the middle, dodgy Deji at the back, Bogle up front, the two Smith's on loan, Dylan Levitt... 
  • Can't say this is this is the worst squad because as has been suggested above, there are too many to choose from in relatively recent times.
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    DA9 said:
    Exactly my first thought when seeing both his pre and post match interviews. He didn't look well.

@J BlOCK says above he has heard the same from a player.

If this is the case, how on earth has he got so down after only a few months in the job? Is he really that worried that TS won't renew his contract for next season? 

I want JJ to be here next season and succeed. But seriously if the job is making him that ill after only a few months for the sake of his health and his family he should seriously think about walking away. Wrecking his health for this job is just not worth it. 
    I don’t think a bit of stress isn’t wrecking his health, it’s all part of football’s ups and downs. He needs to learn from defeats rather than get weighed down by them (if indeed that’s what’s happening). 
    I think going a bit OTT in his dressing room speeches might have backfired slightly (“we’ll win the next match, and the one after that”) because it leaves you nowhere to go if you lose. 
    Keep a level head JJ. 
    [Edit: Mind you, Jimmy Seed had a breakdown after he was sacked. But I think he was pretty level headed throughout his career. How many managers last 26 years and only get sacked once though?]
    Those team talks should never have been shared on social media. Terrible decision by.the club
    Agreed. A decision that all parties must have been
    happy with before being published 
  • boggzy said:
    Can't say this is this is the worst squad because as has been suggested above, there are too many to choose from in relatively recent times.
    Yes I agree with this.

You would think that the people running the club would at least learn from the previous mistakes.

Because they don’t seem to have learnt anything, this is why I believe the management team must also take the blame for this debacle.

Jackson was both Bowyer’s and Adkin’s no 2.
    Surely he learnt something from these jobs.
    But no, he is making exactly the same mistakes that Bowyer and Adkin’s made.
  • I think yesterday shows the failings of this KPI based contract.

If he will be judged on league position how does that account for that fact that we were missing 3 strikers yesterday and had play an 18 YO novice and a 17YO debutant.

There are too many variables in this game say, JJ misses out on the target by 1pt but he’s had 5 games without a striker or Dobson does his ACL. How can that be placed at JJ’ feet or not factored in.

I hope Sandgaard makes this decision with reason and these facts in mind.

However my gut tells this contract will be used to explain JJ’s exit come the summer so TS can appoint his original choice.
  • boggzy said:
    Can't say this is this is the worst squad because as has been suggested above, there are too many to choose from in relatively recent times.
    Yes I agree with this.

You would think that the people running the club would at least learn from the previous mistakes.

Because they don’t seem to have learnt anything, this is why I believe the management team must also take the blame for this debacle.

What mistakes is JJ making that both Adkins and Bowyer did?

He might be making different mistakes but not sure what the similar ones are the previous managers. 
  • boggzy said:
    Yes I agree with this.

He might be making different mistakes but not sure what the similar ones are the previous managers. 
    Sticking too rigidly to a formation rather than varying it up for different opponents?
  • edited February 2022
    boggzy said:
    Yes I agree with this.

Sticking too rigidly to a formation rather than varying it up for different opponents?
    Maybe its not JJ's decision. TS likes to be hands on and waffle on about the "high press" to the papers..............................just saying!
  • I don’t think Jacko is making too many mistakes tbh. I think the squad is simply not good enough, getting there, but still not good enough to give us an easy ride to a top 6 spot. If we are missing Stockley or Dobson or Innis (our main positional players in other words) we are just too light weight, regardless of system, playing style etc. Signings like those 3, plus some others like Clare and Chuks prove we can get half decent players in, just hope we can clear out the dross!
  • boggzy said:
    Yes I agree with this.

Fair point regarding Adkins. But not Bowyer. He made 6 changes every game and played a different formation every other week!
  • Sponsored links:

• boggzy said:
    Yes I agree with this.

Team set up, and formation.
    Failing to defend set pieces at corners and free kicks.

These were all failings of the previous managers, and appear to me at least that history is repeating itself.

• Maccn05 said:
    I think yesterday shows the failings of this KPI based contract.

If he will be judged on league position how does that account for that fact that we were missing 3 strikers yesterday and had play an 18 YO novice and a 17YO debutant.

There are too many variables in this game say, JJ misses out on the target by 1pt but he’s had 5 games without a striker or Dobson does his ACL. How can that be placed at JJ’ feet or not factored in.

However my gut tells this contract will be used to explain JJ’s exit come the summer so TS can appoint his original choice.
    Might be having a senior moment but wondering who you mean by TS's original choice.
  • TS needs to back Jackson, tell him he’ll be here next season and lets see what he can do. He plays a particular formation which is different to Adkins (so will require selling and buying a few to suit that formation). He needs a summer to get the right personnel in and then he can be judged next season. If he goes at the end of this season, it will be same old circus again … 
  • J BLOCK said:
    DA9 said:
    I have heard the same thing from a first team player. 

Great. Good to know tact, discretion, maturity and professionalism are still alive in the dressing room.

• Maccn05 said:

Might be having a senior moment but wondering who you mean by TS's original choice.
    I may be reading it wrong too but I assume he means whomever TS was going to appoint before appointing JJ became a fait accompli. Maybe Michael Beale?

I don’t think TS particularly wanted to appoint JJ but his hand was forced by the results JJ achieved initially and the clamour from most of the fans. The cynic in me thinks TS initiated the position based contract so he had a get out if JJ didn’t reach the required position. Then he could legitimately jettison him and bring in who he really wanted. Conversely if JJ did hit the target or even better it and trigger the contract extension then happy days because it meant he was doing a good job. Win win for TS really. I’m guessing here but JJ’s recent demeanour suggests he’s a long way off triggering that automatic extension.
    Yes this was exactly my meaning thanks 👍🏼
  • Maccn05 said:

I may be reading it wrong too but I assume he means whomever TS was going to appoint before appointing JJ became a fait accompli. Maybe Michael Beale?

I don’t think TS particularly wanted to appoint JJ but his hand was forced by the results JJ achieved initially and the clamour from most of the fans. The cynic in me thinks TS initiated the position based contract so he had a get out if JJ didn’t reach the required position. Then he could legitimately jettison him and bring in who he really wanted. Conversely if JJ did hit the target or even better it and trigger the contract extension then happy days because it meant he was doing a good job. Win win for TS really. I’m guessing here but JJ’s recent demeanour suggests he’s a long way off triggering that automatic extension.
    Christ, what a fecking fudge.
    The sad thing is I believe you are probably right.
  • I don’t think Jacko is making too many mistakes tbh. I think the squad is simply not good enough, getting there, but still not good enough to give us an easy ride to a top 6 spot. If we are missing Stockley or Dobson or Innis (our main positional players in other words) we are just too light weight, regardless of system, playing style etc. Signings like those 3, plus some others like Clare and Chuks prove we can get half decent players in, just hope we can clear out the dross!
    Agreed. Thought his mistakes towards middle of January was playing the same team everyweek and burning players like Lee Gilbey, DJ into the ground. Since then he has brought Morgan, CBT & Matthews back into the squad. 

Jacko will definitely make mistakes but I do feel like he is learning. The squad is big in numbers, but there’s at least 4 players who shouldn’t have been paid off who are just collecting their wages and contributing nothing. 
  • Jackos situation is all ifs and buts.I doubt if any managers at our level could cope with the loss of players like he has.
    Stockley is a massive miss,now we have Chucks and Washington struggling,CBT had a blinder at Pompey,now injured.He is still in his first year as a manager ,he will learn,but he will need a bit more luck than he is having at the moment.
    Look at Clare,he has been superb all season at CD,last two games,crap free kick given away,and a crap trip in the area,to give away a penalty.Would we have conceded the last 2 set piece goals like we did,with Stockley back there.Time to judge Jacko is when he has had a run with a full squad to pick from.
  • edited February 2022
    Agreed.
    It's all well and good saying we have a big squad, but if the players being kept out, are missing out despite those in the first 11 being off-form, then those fringe players are not good enough or wanted, thus there is no point then being at the club. To be top 2-6, a team needs to be consistently performing and when someone gets injured, the player stepping in needs to be as good, or results will falter.

Back on point, if Jacko had taken the points tally from his games, from a season start we'd be up and around top 6, which most people would be happy with. I think the awful start during Adkins era has skewed the table. Jacko might be feeling the pressure but where the pressure is coming from might be telling.