Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Give Jacko The Job (He got given it on page 31...)

Comments

• Bailey said:
    If results were based purely on Jackson's reign we'd be 4th.  That's a much fairer way of reviewing how he's done
    Anyone looking at Jackson's reign objectively can see there has been 2 phases. He earned his contract from the first phase when we were playing brilliantly. That there is the potential of these players.

The second phase since he became permanent has been shite let's be honest. We've fluked a few wins unconvincingly but mainly it's been dross. He's got plenty, plenty of games until the end of the season to prove he can make the team perform to even 80% of the first phase and he'd be fine.

The truth is, he's doubting his own ability to get the best out of the team now. 
    OR his come to the conclusion most of the squad are not good enough. Which is more likely the case. 

In the main most of these players were not performing for Bowyer, then performing for Adkins probably being kept on for the following season motivated them with the new manager. Then they couldn't be arsed and looked unfit etc, they would be here for the rest of the season, (f@ck the manager).

Then they perform to get JJ the job by running their bollocks off for a short period and probably thinking it saves their positions as again a new manger from outside will wield the axe.

Now they can have their rest again because they are only good enough when their working twice as hard, so they revert back to what they are. Average League 1 players.     

I think any side who had lost their top scorer may struggle a bit, our form has picked up since we signed Aneke and there is no question that if Stockley were in the mix we would be able to rotate those forwards.
    Of course Stockley and Innis being out the side has an impact on results that's a given but it highlights yet again that the team as a whole is average and that we are being carried by maybe 3 or 4 players that isn't going to get us where we need to be.  The squad doesn't have the right components. It stands to reason Stockley is an important player then we should have a similar player in the squad as back up, in addition to Aneke.    
  • mendonca said:
    Would us fans have doubts if we finish second half at the end of the season?

I certainly would. But no idea what I would do.
    In the circumstances of this season it shouldn't matter if we finish slightly under half way. The fact is JJ looks as though he will keep us safe and there has been some improvement.   Sandgard appointed JJ so he should back that appointment or not make it in the first place.

Putting performance of league placings in the first season as a way out when it was clear the guy(JJ) has dug you out of the shit is not conducive to working relationship and harmony going forward it only creates mistrust.    
  • I've always had the impression that JJ wasn't TS choice but he did so well that the decision was made for him
    He may have felt a bit of pressure from fans but on his own admission he stated he makes his own decisions.   
  • Maccn05 said:
    If results were based purely on Jackson's reign we'd be 4th.  That's a much fairer way of reviewing how he's done
    Anyone looking at Jackson's reign objectively can see there has been 2 phases. He earned his contract from the first phase when we were playing brilliantly. That there is the potential of these players.

The second phase since he became permanent has been shite let's be honest. We've fluked a few wins unconvincingly but mainly it's been dross. He's got plenty, plenty of games until the end of the season to prove he can make the team perform to even 80% of the first phase and he'd be fine.

The truth is, he's doubting his own ability to get the best out of the team now. 
    OR his come to the conclusion most of the squad are not good enough. Which is more likely the case. 

In the main most of these players were not performing for Bowyer, then performing for Adkins probably being kept on for the following season motivated them with the new manager. Then they couldn't be arsed and looked unfit etc, they would be here for the rest of the season, (f@ck the manager).

Then they perform to get JJ the job by running their bollocks off for a short period and probably thinking it saves their positions as again a new manger from outside will wield the axe.

Now they can have their rest again because they are only good enough when their working twice as hard, so they revert back to what they are. Average League 1 players.     

Agreed always interesting how mercenaries like Adam Matthews do terribly due the autumn / winter then suddenly he starts performing again as we enter the contract negotiations window  … funny that!

He’s the exact type of character we need out of this squad.
    Bang on.  I’ve said this for the last few seasons. Matthews is a good player but goes through spells where he gives the impression that he couldn’t care less. We only resigned him at the last minute when he couldn’t get a better deal elsewhere. Enough is enough. Just my opinion (and yours too!)
    Matthews isn't the only one.  You would think Jackson, having seen it happen twice before, would know why and either stop it happening or bomb them so far away from the squad it doesn't matter.

He is still heavily involving them all.  Maybe lack of credible options?  Maybe we will see less of them come "nothing to play for" time. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Maccn05 said:

Agreed always interesting how mercenaries like Adam Matthews do terribly due the autumn / winter then suddenly he starts performing again as we enter the contract negotiations window  … funny that!

Bang on.  I’ve said this for the last few seasons. Matthews is a good player but goes through spells where he gives the impression that he couldn’t care less. We only resigned him at the last minute when he couldn’t get a better deal elsewhere. Enough is enough. Just my opinion (and yours too!)
    Matthews isn't the only one.  You would think Jackson, having seen it happen twice before, would know why and either stop it happening or bomb them so far away from the squad it doesn't matter.

He is still heavily involving them all.  Maybe lack of credible options?  Maybe we will see less of them come "nothing to play for" time. 
    Not necessarily if Jacko has some pointless must finish 10th or above clause in his contract 
  • Sponsored links:

• J BLOCK said:
    Maccn05 said:

I said this in the summer and got numerous ‘Lol’s’. Player never should have been signed as first choice RB this season, hasn’t been good enough for a long time now. 
    Is Matthews, and his ilk, the problem or a symptoms of it?

IMO if Matthews and Purrington were your back up right backs (in a back 4) it wouldn't be a problem.  Matthews was awful against Bolton at home but he wasn't the reason we were in the bottom 4 in October.

Last season the problem was we had too many "squad players" and not enough best ones.  This season we have even less best ones and it really shows up the others short comings. 

Giving Matthews and Pearce a year and Watson's option are not the reasons we aren't going up.  The players we signed is, with the attitude of some a distant for significant second. 
  • These quotes come out and the game after we have a couple more injuries....interesting timing you'd say. 
  • This is confusing to me. I don't like communicating through the media. I hope Jacko is given next season to make an impact. 

If TS is not planning for JJ to be here next year why did he invest in Aneke and Fraser giving them three year contracts or allow JJ to bring Skiverton in?

A lot of managers have a years rolling contract which is how I see this.

• clb74 said:
    The way things are , it doesn't really matter who the manager is.
    Probably not, but I do think to get out of the division you either need a really good team (look at the individual gulf between Wigan's best players and ours) or a decent team that is really well drilled tactically. I don't see much evidence that Jackson is a Martin, Lowe, Richardson, Evatt in terms of stamping a style of play on his team. I'd like a manager like that, not sure who. But the main problem is I don't have much fith we'd appoint the right manager, and I don't have much faith we'd bring in the quality of players needed to give Jackson a crack at the title, so it's probably a moot point.
  • Think he’ll be gone but we’ll be stuck with the same players for the next manager to go through the same process 
  • clb74 said:
    Probably not, but I do think to get out of the division you either need a really good team (look at the individual gulf between Wigan's best players and ours) or a decent team that is really well drilled tactically. I don't see much evidence that Jackson is a Martin, Lowe, Richardson, Evatt in terms of stamping a style of play on his team. I'd like a manager like that, not sure who. But the main problem is I don't have much fith we'd appoint the right manager, and I don't have much faith we'd bring in the quality of players needed to give Jackson a crack at the title, so it's probably a moot point.
    What would he need to do to show evidence? Those managers wouldn’t get this squad promoted.
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    clb74 said:
    What would he need to do to show evidence? Those managers wouldn’t get this squad promoted.
    You're probably right, but teams like MK Dons cut through us with incisive passing and movement and I'm not sure they have far better players overall. Hopefully we will get the players we need this summer.
  • colthe3rd said:
    This has all the same feelings as that 10/11 season where Powell took over halfway through. Poor defending, toothless in attack, a team drifting towards a lower mid table finish.

We know what happened in 11/12 but we didn't just fluke our way into it. Who are we identifying as next season's Hamer, Morrison, Wiggins, Hollands, Stephens and Kermorgant?

The upcoming summer window will be huge for our club.
    We've been saying this for nearly 18 months now.
    Make or break the next window as to whether we'll have a chance of promotion in next 3-5 years.

Some big clubs down here now top half will be like a mini championship soon enough.  Our squad has struggled to compete with Crewe and Cheltenham and are below accrington Stanley and Burton Albion.

Having a comparatively big stadium and fanbase and an historically "natural" position a league above counts for less and less with each season we spend down here and gravity of time in this league will make it easier to head one way (down).

Before first game of the season we will know if we've done enough to stop the ongoing decay and it'll be evident even sooner as soon as the window opens and we see who stays, goes and comes in and in time for a proper pre season.

No instability excuses or new manager bedding in (we hope) albeit we had the same luxury last summer and blundered it.

Massive window and pre season prep coming up and arguably most important in recent history for how it'll likely shape next 3- 5 years.
  • Scoham said:
    clb74 said:
    You're probably right, but teams like MK Dons cut through us with incisive passing and movement and I'm not sure they have far better players overall. Hopefully we will get the players we need this summer.
    I don't think we have many players we'd expect to be regulars in the Championship in the next a year or two. Both of our recent promotion sides had that.

We also need the right players for Jackson's system. Proper wing backs on each side could make a big difference.
  • clb74 said:
    Managers should be given 10 match contracts.
    Football fans nowadays make me laugh.
  • edited February 2022
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    clb74 said:
    I don't think we have many players we'd expect to be regulars in the Championship in the next a year or two. Both of our recent promotion sides had that.

We also need the right players for Jackson's system. Proper wing backs on each side could make a big difference.
    Yeah, I never thought Bowyer was tactically that great, maybe even Powell too, but they had a core of low champ players, and kept them hungry and unified. I v. much agree about wingback, although I'm worried now with each week that goes by I add another position to the top priority signing list... 😬
  • Look I don't want Jackson sacked yet or anything like that. 

But this summer and next season should be a test for Jackson, Gallen and everyone involved in the football club. If they can't do it next year then we really need to tear everything down and start again with a new backroom staff from top to bottom. 

Too many people have been here for too long and are a bit too comfortable. They have been involved in a lot of failed campaigns and perhaps we need a lot of fresh blood to really change things. 
  • Doesn’t leaving it till the end of the season put us back in the doing everything last minute. 

Back him now or sack him now and give JJ or another manager a decent run to prep the team for next year. 

• I don’t mean to piss on chips but, all this talk of building right now for the big push next season seems a bit of a throw away comment of hopeful expectation. What makes people think that firstly we are going to be the only ones attempting it, and secondly are we as a club becoming less attractive for the type of player that we are all suggesting we require to mount a real challenge. It feels to me that there are teams we thought would never be a challenge to us are actually overtaking us and therefore beat us to those signings. When Chrissy Powell built his team we still had that aura of being a big fish in a little pond, and in my view we’re attractive for players who wanted a promotion on there cv. sadly I’m not sure that’s as much of a case as it was. People suggesting TS should back JJ Big in the summer seems a bit remiss of the fact he appears to already have done so to an extent, with not much in the way of a positive reaction. We have had a hell of a lot of players come and go over the last couple of seasons and in that time there doesn’t appear to be the consistent fight and unity for a sustained period to even look like we are going to challenge, missing out on goal difference last season flattered us massively, so I do question wether JJ can build and have the effect that Powelly did, and if the club have the fight in it we all remember, we as fans can only do so much in the way of support, but even that is becoming difficult when we are let down so often with below par performances on the pitch becoming more and more the norm. 
  • paulfox said:
    I don’t mean to piss on chips but, all this talk of building right now for the big push next season seems a bit of a throw away comment of hopeful expectation. What makes people think that firstly we are going to be the only ones attempting it, and secondly are we as a club becoming less attractive for the type of player that we are all suggesting we require to mount a real challenge. It feels to me that there are teams we thought would never be a challenge to us are actually overtaking us and therefore beat us to those signings. When Chrissy Powell built his team we still had that aura of being a big fish in a little pond, and in my view we’re attractive for players who wanted a promotion on there cv. sadly I’m not sure that’s as much of a case as it was. People suggesting TS should back JJ Big in the summer seems a bit remiss of the fact he appears to already have done so to an extent, with not much in the way of a positive reaction. We have had a hell of a lot of players come and go over the last couple of seasons and in that time there doesn’t appear to be the consistent fight and unity for a sustained period to even look like we are going to challenge, missing out on goal difference last season flattered us massively, so I do question wether JJ can build and have the effect that Powelly did, and if the club have the fight in it we all remember, we as fans can only do so much in the way of support, but even that is becoming difficult when we are let down so often with below par performances on the pitch becoming more and more the norm. 
    Make you right on second thoughts. Get a new manager in, ANOTHER fresh start.