Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Give Jacko The Job (He got given it on page 31...)

Comments

• Jackos situation is all ifs and buts.I doubt if any managers at our level could cope with the loss of players like he has.
    Stockley is a massive miss,now we have Chucks and Washington struggling,CBT had a blinder at Pompey,now injured.He is still in his first year as a manager ,he will learn,but he will need a bit more luck than he is having at the moment.
    Look at Clare,he has been superb all season at CD,last two games,crap free kick given away,and a crap trip in the area,to give away a penalty.Would we have conceded the last 2 set piece goals like we did,with Stockley back there.Time to judge Jacko is when he has had a run with a full squad to pick from.
    Who ever has a full squad to pick from? 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Jackos situation is all ifs and buts.I doubt if any managers at our level could cope with the loss of players like he has.
    Stockley is a massive miss,now we have Chucks and Washington struggling,CBT had a blinder at Pompey,now injured.He is still in his first year as a manager ,he will learn,but he will need a bit more luck than he is having at the moment.
    Look at Clare,he has been superb all season at CD,last two games,crap free kick given away,and a crap trip in the area,to give away a penalty.Would we have conceded the last 2 set piece goals like we did,with Stockley back there.Time to judge Jacko is when he has had a run with a full squad to pick from.
    Who ever has a full squad to pick from? 
    Well with better options than having his entire senior strike force out
  • Jackos situation is all ifs and buts.I doubt if any managers at our level could cope with the loss of players like he has.
    The game before Clare lost his marker for the headed goal also. So that's 3 games in a row he's been responsible for a goal conceded.

And also, given that Stockley/Chucks were out in our last match, wouldn't it have been prudent to actually use a proper centre back instead of Purrington? Every set piece we defended we were up against it with only having Innis with any aerial ability.

The team selection from the last match was really poor and ill thought out.
  • WSS said:
    I think the fact that Terry Skiverton is in place suggests to me Jacko will still be around next year. I think it shows the intent of building a squad and the signings of Aneke and Fraser seem more Jacko-influenced than black box.

Like the first time around with the contract though, I’m not sure why it can’t just be communicated better/at all.
    Very simple guys JJ signed 2 1/2 deal .. he would not have signed it or more important his agent would not have agreed it if there was the slightest chance he would be let go after only half a season .. 
    Time for calm … 
    Not necessarily true. He's a newbie relatively unproven manager and perhaps that is all that was on offer with no guarantee of interest elsewhere in an area of the country he wants to be.

Sign it to guarantee security for you and your family at that point in time or risk being out of a job for first time in your life. Doesn't mean he was necessarily happy with it.

Cawley alluded to this over the weekend that it was signed in the absence of anything else.

Yes no modern manager has any job security beyond a poor run of results/ clash of ideas but that is why the vast majority have pay off clauses that will see their mortgages paid for a year and give them time to find another form of income in the event they are handed their p45.

Jackson will live in a different financial world than premier league regular Bowyer and therefore current job security may be a lot more material for him.
    The game before Clare lost his marker for the headed goal also. So that's 3 games in a row he's been responsible for a goal conceded.

And also, given that Stockley/Chucks were out in our last match, wouldn't it have been prudent to actually use a proper centre back instead of Purrington? Every set piece we defended we were up against it with only having Innis with any aerial ability.

Do please remember he’s a centre midfielder playing/ covering as a Centre back…. He’s not Rio Ferdinand 
  • Maccn05 said:
    Jackos situation is all ifs and buts.I doubt if any managers at our level could cope with the loss of players like he has.

Do please remember he’s a centre midfielder playing/ covering as a Centre back…. He’s not Rio Ferdinand 
    Well don't keep playing him in defence then!
  • WSS said:
    I think the fact that Terry Skiverton is in place suggests to me Jacko will still be around next year. I think it shows the intent of building a squad and the signings of Aneke and Fraser seem more Jacko-influenced than black box.

Like the first time around with the contract though, I’m not sure why it can’t just be communicated better/at all.
    Very simple guys JJ signed 2 1/2 deal .. he would not have signed it or more important his agent would not have agreed it if there was the slightest chance he would be let go after only half a season .. 
    Time for calm … 
    It is not for Calm, for me it’s time for Worry!

If am sorry but based on what I have seen I am far from convinced that Jackson has what it takes to get us out of this league.

I really hope that I am wrong, but I am watching the worst football I have seen in over 50 years of supporting Charlton.

On the pitch the team look clueless.
    Jackson looks a broken man, and the fan base is divided.

I am certainly not Calm, I am extremely Worried.

I cannot see any light at the end of this tunnel.

• Sponsored links:

• Dave2l said:
    WSS said:

Time for calm … 

If am sorry but based on what I have seen I am far from convinced that Jackson has what it takes to get us out of this league.

I really hope that I am wrong, but I am watching the worst football I have seen in over 50 years of supporting Charlton.

Remind yourself that Jackson played under Chris Powell....who probably had more or less a worse run of results when he began his career.

Remind yourself Jackson is also probably very worried. 

Remind yourself we couldn't pick up 3 points if our lives depended on it under Nigel Adkins.

Remind yourself, we now officially have nothing else to play for this season, other than staying up...in league one!
    A natural reduction of motivation will prevail.
    We are not going to be playing like a 2012 Barcelona.

JJ is Charlton through and through, and he does need time on his hands.

We instinctively know he is the right person for this job. He needs support, and, soon as we officially stay up, we need to start preparing for next season.

Don't allow frustration and disappointment in our performances to distort reality.
    Good points, my fear is Thomas will back these players instead of JJ.
  • Dave2l said:
    WSS said:

Time for calm … 

Remind yourself that Jackson played under Chris Powell....who probably had more or less a worse run of results when he began his career.

Remind yourself Jackson is also probably very worried. 

Remind yourself we couldn't pick up 3 points if our lives depended on it under Nigel Adkins.

Remind yourself, we now officially have nothing else to play for this season, other than staying up...in league one!
    A natural reduction of motivation will prevail.
    We are not going to be playing like a 2012 Barcelona.

JJ is Charlton through and through, and he does need time on his hands.

We instinctively know he is the right person for this job. He needs support, and, soon as we officially stay up, we need to start preparing for next season.

Don't allow frustration and disappointment in our performances to distort reality.
    It was only 2 weeks ago we beat Pompey away - granted we always win there but certainly time for calm ! 
  • The main problem I think with JJ is that to him ,this is more than a job ,this is him fulfilling his ambition after his playing days were over.When he was playing and things were going wrong on the pitch he could do something about it,now once that whistle goes,he is powerless.It must be horrible, doing a good weeks training,and then watching silly mistakes cost points,as has happened in recent games.He does look totally distraught after recent defeats,and it is great to have a manager who cares so deeply for the club.We must finish on a high,top 8 or 10 would be a realistic target,and after the crap start we had,that should be perfectly acceptable to TS.If he then gets the chance to rebuild the squad,and get in players to suit his preferred system,then there can be no excuses not to be top 6 next season.
  • Maccn05 said:

Well don't keep playing him in defence then!
    I don't think it was from choice was it... and we still couldn't name 3 fit Centre backs on Saturday!

He's done a great job filling in but it's not his natural position, so maybe we should focus on the positive
  • clive said:
    That feels weirdly specific as a PR piece, clearly someone involved in the club somewhere has been looking at fan comments (maybe on here maybe elsewhere maybe both) as that's addressing things I have specifically seen stated on here. 
  • thenewbie said:
    clive said:
    That feels weirdly specific as a PR piece, clearly someone involved in the club somewhere has been looking at fan comments (maybe on here maybe elsewhere maybe both) as that's addressing things I have specifically seen stated on here. 
    Or someone at the club wanting to put the record straight after the article from JJ last week about needing clarity. He has clarity, the job is his, now get on and do it, stop leaking things to the press and get results. 
  • thenewbie said:
    clive said:
    It happens a lot. Even in the manager's weekly press conference there will be a question to clarify something that has been bothering the fans. 
  • Very sensible to offer clarity to everyone . 
  • Sponsored links:

• Chunes said:
    thenewbie said:
    clive said:
    It happens a lot. Even in the manager's weekly press conference there will be a question to clarify something that has been bothering the fans. 
    Oh I am not complaining. Its a good idea and sensible to address the concerns. Just surprised at how specific it is instead of generalities. 
  • So basically like we said there no story in the first place … JJ TS SG already looking at targets and of course TS has the final say in all deals because the financial side and signing off of all deals is down to him … 
  • So basically like we said there no story in the first place … JJ TS SG already looking at targets and of course TS has the final say in all deals because the financial side and signing off of all deals is down to him … 
    I've heard Jacko is on the look out for something... not sure I share your optimism that it's new targets. 
  • Johnnie Jackson’s initial contract at Charlton Athletic is for 18 months – with their league finish only affecting the amount of compensation paid if Thomas Sandgaard opts to dispense with his services.

Sounds like Jackson is bothered about something -> £££
  • Its a small shame that this has only come to light now then

If its always been an 18-month contract, with compensation dictating the amount of compensation paid then why not just start with that - As that sounds an even more sensible idea that the original one.

As it is, I imagine its still left some wondering if these latest comments are nothing more than a PR spin

With Jackson still correct in what he says
  • Glad the club has come out and straightened the record.

Jackson should wait til the end of the season to ask for more money.
  • Is this another recasting of Gallen's job role?

I don't take these things without a pinch of salt because the next story will contradict something in this one.

Saying that I don't think all is well in the relationship between Jackson and Thomas.  What ever the reason it needs sorting now.  Not May or August.