Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Give Jacko The Job (He got given it on page 31...)

Comments

• Simonsen said:
    Forget club legend cobblers. Just let him do the job through the summer and next season. He's new to management but thrashings like today are part of learning. He got done by a more experienced and better manager...it happens. Let's see if he can get his own players and put out a good team.

But if its still shit at the end of next season then maybe...
    Agree but if we’re not top six at Christmas next season he’ll be gone. Work to be done.
    And how long do we give the next manager?
  • clb74 said:
    Simonsen said:
    Forget club legend cobblers. Just let him do the job through the summer and next season. He's new to management but thrashings like today are part of learning. He got done by a more experienced and better manager...it happens. Let's see if he can get his own players and put out a good team.

Agree but if we’re not top six at Christmas next season he’ll be gone. Work to be done.
    Long enough to prove he’s up to or not up to the job. I think JJ will be but we should be top six next season. Anything less is a complete disaster. 
  • edited February 2022
    September 28th was our last home league defeat, back down to earth with a massive bump.
  • September 28th was our last home league defeat, back down to earth with a massive bump.
    Lost to Wycombe on NYD
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Whilst I don't think Jackson is the problem, I don't think he's going to be the answer either.
    That’s kind of where I sit. This job isn’t for Jackson.  We need a clean slate. It might just be me, but I hate the players calling him Jacko. He isn’t their mate any more. Can you imagine a man united player calling their manager Fergie? Or Liverpool saying Kloppy? We need somebody to go in there and kick some arse. Seems like an easy wage being a Charlton player. 

Another thing - Sangaard - all this bollocks when we sign a player “we’ve been watching him for months, he can do this, that and the other” you know nothing about him - just keep quiet.

I thought that watching Frasers interview when he joined calling him gaffer. I thought give it a week or two and it’ll be Johnnie or Jacko.
  • I’m wondering if Jacko puts too much emphasis on the passion of playing for the shirt. That was his main push when he took over and it worked for a few games, but that will only take you so far. Players can only play with that commitment for a while before getting burnt out. Passion is great but that’s no good without a solid game plan being in place. JJ is showing himself as being one dimensional and that’s not good. 
    That could also account for the injuries building up. If you start to develop an unhappy player base then injuries will increase. And discipline starts to go as well. 
    i don’t like to say it but Jacko seems out of his depth. Maybe he’s not cut out for management. His recent demeanor has not been good. 
  • edited February 2022
    Dazzler21 said:
    Whilst I don't think Jackson is the problem, I don't think he's going to be the answer either.
    That’s kind of where I sit. This job isn’t for Jackson.  We need a clean slate. It might just be me, but I hate the players calling him Jacko. He isn’t their mate any more. Can you imagine a man united player calling their manager Fergie? Or Liverpool saying Kloppy? We need somebody to go in there and kick some arse. Seems like an easy wage being a Charlton player. 

Another thing - Sangaard - all this bollocks when we sign a player “we’ve been watching him for months, he can do this, that and the other” you know nothing about him - just keep quiet.

Said it a few games ago, but as soon as he became manager he had to draw the line between mate and manager and I don't think he has. Once the players got their mate the job full-time they stopped grafting.
  • Maccn05 said:
    Maccn05 said:
    So JJ’s the bad guy if he talks about his contract but Sandgaard is ok to leak out intricate details of his staff’s contract of employment?

Seems like JJ is the third manager out of three that’s fallen out with Sandgaard. I wonder what’s the connection. 

Worse for me was the last line that Sandgaard has the final say on transfers because from I’ve been told… he’s not just signing the cheque.
    I know you don't like Sandgaard but Christ this is a stretch. Jackson isn't the bad guy just for talking about his contract, people are raising their concerns that he seems to be complaining about a contract he signed in a way that's potentially destabilising for the team and frankly a little dishonest. Sandgaard isn't leaking anything here, he's explained how the manager's contract works. If we didn't know that information people would be very quick to complain about a lack of transparency wouldn't they?
    I don’t think anyone’s contract of employment should be in the public domain and certainly not via a club written PR statement.

I’m not a fan of the Sandgaard personality but I judge his actions running the club with impartiality. If he does well I I’ll praise if he doesn’t I’ll criticise. Just happens that there’s more bad than good IMO

JJ’s done nothing that any other manager wouldn’t do every week with regards to budgets, strategy, signings and contracts… they are all at it,
    so I don’t understand why people are calling him out especially when TS leases stuff to the press all the time.
    Come off it. It's hardly in the public domain any more than every other contract ever in the history of football. I don't think I've seen you complaining when we've announced the lengths of the contracts of the players we've signed or literally every other manager we've employed. Or have I missed a part of the statement that lists what Jackson's salary is?
    I've seen your posts, you don't judge Sandgaard with any impartiality at all, as your original comment demonstrates. That's fine, no-one has to like him, but you may as well be honest with yourself. Again, people are calling Jackson out because he's moaning about a contract he signed , what, two months ago? I don't recall any of our permanent managers moaning about their contracts in that timeframe. Something seems of with Jackson at the moment, and him going to the press two months into a contract to complain about the contract, especially when the team isn't exactly looking any good at the moment, is odd and not hugely constructive.
    Genuinely I want him to succeed and for Charlton to succeed. I was hugely supportive and positive when he announced himself and came in.

I still hope he can turn it around and when he does well I’ll be the first to say so as I did when Fraser was announced and Kanu was signed up.

But unfortunately I don’t agree with a lot of decisions he’s made and obviously we can all see how it’s going on the football side - are we 16th in L1 now.

on contracts it’s my opinion that it shouldn’t be in the public domain but hey this is sport and particularly football so normalcy doesn’t apply.
  • Sponsored links:

• The judgement on any manager should be firstly results and then the tactics used to obtain them. This has to be taken in consideration with the resources supplied by the owner and how much say he has in recruitment. If a manager isn't allowed to have overall say on football affairs he is not a manager but a coach. Jackson seems to fall into the latter category and as such is responsible for training, tactics and team selection. Therefore, deciding to play three at the back, how can he justify having only one natural centre-half starting and having three on the bench? He has already been found out tactically by other managers who just know it is 3-5-2 whether we have the players fit to play it or not. The hope was that Skiverton would bring in fresh ideas, but if anything, we have got worse.
    Having sat through the whole game today, I would say that the current players are already going through the motions and while I don't think Jackson has lost the dressing room, the discipline on the pitch has got so bad that they obviously think they can do what they want without any comeback.
    If Jackson wants to continue as manager he needs to firmly let the players know they can't take the piss out of him or the paying public (the fans).
  • Dazzler21 said:

Poor team with little depth - I amazed we still look like staying up - He’s the best option and with an early rebuild will take us up.

silk purse and sows ears
  • edited February 2022
    shirty5 said:
    Won half of his first 20 league games as manager. Better than most other Charlton managers at this stage. Today was shit but let’s be realistic 
    Adkins won half of his first 10, when does it stop mattering.  The Adkins out thread started after game 13!  He had only lost 3 at that stage.

I am not suggesting there should be a Jackson out thread but if Jackson was held to the same standards as Adkins and Robinson were there would certainly be one.

Should Jackson be backed, properly in the summer of course he should but so should all have his predecessors.  He shouldn't be backed because he is "Jacko", no one should want him to be backed for any other reason than its the best thing for the club. 
  • Dazzler21 said:

I thought that watching Frasers interview when he joined calling him gaffer. I thought give it a week or two and it’ll be Johnnie or Jacko.
    I thought it was an irrational hatred of mine, it still pisses me of when people post about Bow like he is their best mate. 
  • One fit striker in the entire club... stick him on the bench. 
  • edited February 2022
    clb74 said:
    Simonsen said:

Long enough to prove he’s up to or not up to the job. I think JJ will be but we should be top six next season. Anything less is a complete disaster. 

Are we talking League One or League Two?
  • edited February 2022
    Dazzler21 said:

Said it a few games ago, but as soon as he became manager he had to draw the line between mate and manager and I don't think he has. Once the players got their mate the job full-time they stopped grafting.
    I do get that argument but then I think of situations where I've been promoted in the past where I've been managing people who the day before were colleagues, and then suddenly I've become their boss. 

I know everyone might have a different take but personally I absolutely cringed when I walked in on my first day as their boss and they greeted me as boss or gaffer, I immediately told them thanks, but to carry on calling me Notts as they had for the last 5-6 years before and that was that. I don't think they respected me any less as their boss just because I didn't want them to call me boss.
  • Been saying it for a while. 
    A lot of this squad was:
    crap for bowyer
    crap for Adkins
    crap for Jackson
    I do not want to see them telling me where they keep their ketchup. I want to see them consistently put in decent performances for a big club in League 1… which they can’t. 

• shirty5 said:
    Won half of his first 20 league games as manager. Better than most other Charlton managers at this stage. Today was shit but let’s be realistic 
    You can't just look at that stat in isolation though.

Team played great on the new manager bounce and picked up a bunch of wins. Good.

Since getting made permanent, we've not had 1 single great performance. Actually the performances and tactical decisions seem to be getting worse.
    I want a manager where we can see a consistent and effective style of play. I'm prepared to be patient for that, but not forever if there's absolutely no evidence of the seeds taking root for it.
  • Sponsored links:

• I get the season being a write off comment, but the level of that performance was unacceptable. My target for Jacko is see over the next 15 matches can he stop leaking goals and get us to keep clean sheets. Every game we are giving away silly goals. 4 very tough games coming up, and we need to learn how to stop letting them in. Otherwise, we will be losing all 4 as we don’t have anyone up front.
  • I get the season being a write off comment, but the level of that performance was unacceptable. My target for Jacko is see over the next 15 matches can he stop leaking goals and get us to keep clean sheets. Every game we are giving away silly goals. 4 very tough games coming up, and we need to learn how to stop letting them in. Otherwise, we will be losing all 4 as we don’t have anyone up front.
    This season isn't a write off... We're back to having to watch the teams below us again.
  • edited February 2022
    My biggest fear is that he’s a Stuart Pearce up and at em manager , which lasts for 5 mins and gets a reaction initially and then there’s nothing else much behind it and you get found out ….

still harp back to that rousing speech that should have stayed in the dressing room , will win here , there etc or whatever it was 
  • SDAddick said:
    I was very skeptical of giving him the job for any length of time when he was made caretaker. I felt that he had been a part of the last three regimes, all of which ended poorly, and all of which ended with serious tactical failings. Under Bow we were playing a new formation every game and playing it poorly. Under Adkins we played only one formation, and we played it poorly. And I never felt he was a great tactician or reader of the game as a player. 

But after his performances as caretaker I thought he had more about him than I'd given him credit for. It seemed he sent the players out with a game plan and a style of play which we'd been desperately lacking. He never seemed a tactical genius in that run, but I figured that he was good enough that when combined with his man management he'd do a job.

Even when we struggled over Christmas and in January I wasn't overly concerned. And we bounced back with three wins in the spin. 

But what we've seen the last three matches does concern me. Yes, we're missing three crucial strikers. But the rest of the team looks a shambles. Teams have figured out what we're trying to do. And as such, we look completely lost. Our pressing is poor, our defensive organization is all over the shop, our team selection seems somewhat random. And worst of all, we can't keep the ball. Our little triangles are gone. We don't even lump it forward. We just sort of pass it to the other team.

Not every player in this side is good enough for a promotion push but I'm sorry, they're not that terrible either. And they showed that in the early days of Jacko's management. Clare has fallen off a cliff. Purrington, played out of position, looks like it. Lee was at times our best player this season just looks a shell of himself. Gilbey, who was so crucial in the run in last year and the early days of Jacko's reign, is non-existant. Matthews has struggled all year but there is a decent League One player in there. And DJ started so well under Jacko just seems to have gone backward. 

I'm sorry but I just don't believe every player in this side is shit. This is a group of players who beat Sunderland and Ipswich and went toe to toe with Rotherham. This is a team performing far below their capabilities. And it's the manager's job to get the most out of players. And Jacko, emphatically, is not doing that. Again yes, missing the three strikers is big, but a good coach makes adjustments, even if they don't work you need to be flexible. What was our game plan today? What changes did we make? Why wasn't Kanu in the bench and Burstow starting? 

Even if we had 18 bad players, it's a lot easier to get rid of one manager than 18 players. Especially when a fair amount of money has been spent assembling this squad (not always well, admittedly).

I'm not saying sack Jacko. But I've now crossed into the realm that his capability to do this job is in question. Give him until the end of the season. But whether or not he comes back should be determined on how he does the rest of the way. 

Last thing that's a pet peeve of mine, the idea that we can't plan for the summer if we don't know if Jacko will be in charge is nonsense. We have a recruitment team whose job it is to recruit players that will fit well into a system together, regardless of who the manager is. It is then the job of club leadership to make sure they appoint a manager who has the right ideas of how to work with the players into a system. Long gone are the days of Curbs spotting a player he likes, ringing him up, and signing him. Fair enough the manager gets final sign off, but that recruitment team is there to provide continuity between managers. And if they're not doing that, and there are definitely signs that they're not, and if club leadership isn't recruiting managers who can work with the set of players we have, and I have some questions about that, then those groups should be judged individually. This is a team put together for three different managers who play at least three different formations. And that is a failure in continuity in recruitment and in bringing in the right manager. But letting another manager overhaul a squad when it's not clear if he's up to the job would be a mistake. 
    Surely the “recruitment team” consists of Steve Gallen as far as professional football experience is concerned, unless you include the first-team management?
  • The real problem is TS and his lack of understanding in how to run a football club.

He is full of cliches and bullshit, do yourself a favour and get a proper football man to run the club, we are embarrassing on and off the pitch.

Over wise he will continue to piss up millions and end up lost.
    This.
    This is really where I’m at now. You could bring Pep Guardiola in, but if TS won’t/can’t address the underlying issues off the pitch then we are going to continue on a downward trajectory.
  • se9addick said:
    The real problem is TS and his lack of understanding in how to run a football club.

He is full of cliches and bullshit, do yourself a favour and get a proper football man to run the club, we are embarrassing on and off the pitch.

Over wise he will continue to piss up millions and end up lost.
    This.
    This is really where I’m at now. You could bring Pep Guardiola in, but if TS won’t/can’t address the underlying issues off the pitch then we are going to continue on a downward trajectory.
    The buck starts and stops with the management team.
    They are ultimately responsible for recruitment, team selection, and the tactics played on the pitch.

The buck well and truly lies at Jackson’s door.