Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Give Jacko The Job (He got given it on page 31...)

Comments

• shirty5 said:
    Won half of his first 20 league games as manager. Better than most other Charlton managers at this stage. Today was shit but let’s be realistic 
    You can't just look at that stat in isolation though.

Team played great on the new manager bounce and picked up a bunch of wins. Good.

Since getting made permanent, we've not had 1 single great performance. Actually the performances and tactical decisions seem to be getting worse.
    I want a manager where we can see a consistent and effective style of play. I'm prepared to be patient for that, but not forever if there's absolutely no evidence of the seeds taking root for it.
    Also comparing him to managers who were doing it at a higher level
  • edited February 2022
    I think the problem is Terry Skiverton, everything went downhill when we brought him in why should he escape some blame, we’ve blamed everyone else when in actual fact we have a manager that’s still learning his trade with a bunch of inept players who seem incapable of carrying out any instructions given, I agree Jacko hasn’t got it right all time (what manager does) but we can’t keep changing managers every time we go on a bad run we’ve surely got to give him time, I think it’s going to take more than one transfer window to turn this squad around.
  • se9addick said:
    The real problem is TS and his lack of understanding in how to run a football club.

He is full of cliches and bullshit, do yourself a favour and get a proper football man to run the club, we are embarrassing on and off the pitch.

Over wise he will continue to piss up millions and end up lost.
    This.
    This is really where I’m at now. You could bring Pep Guardiola in, but if TS won’t/can’t address the underlying issues off the pitch then we are going to continue on a downward trajectory.
    The buck starts and stops with the management team.
    They are ultimately responsible for recruitment, team selection, and the tactics played on the pitch.

The buck well and truly lies at Jackson’s door.

Your missing a lot of shoulds and should bes in that. 
  • Like every other Charlton supporter I have enormous affection and respect for Johnnie. The term legend is bandied around far too often but JJ truly is one of Charltons elite group of former players. When he was given the job my one concern was whether he was nasty enough when needed. Not just because he used to be one of the lads but because he really does seem to be a very nice and amenable character. I don’t think you can be a football manager without your squad having a little bit of fear about getting on your wrong side. The manager needs total respect and needs to be all things to all players including when needed a headmaster. I’m not sure JJ has that streak in his armoury. Being everyone’s friend won’t cut it with a football squad. We’re currently awful and the players should be in for training today and turning up fearing the consequences of yesterday. Are they ? I worry JJ is trying to run with the fox and hunt with the hounds and doesn’t have it in him to change his character. I’m hoping he pulls this around but so far we’ve seen very little to suggest he will. Yesterday he was hamstrung by injuries but got his response to that about as wrong as is possible. I don’t think this group of players is going to get us out of the division but I think they should be doing a little better than we’re seeing currently. We ought not to be looking over our shoulder at division 4. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    I get the season being a write off comment, but the level of that performance was unacceptable. My target for Jacko is see over the next 15 matches can he stop leaking goals and get us to keep clean sheets. Every game we are giving away silly goals. 4 very tough games coming up, and we need to learn how to stop letting them in. Otherwise, we will be losing all 4 as we don’t have anyone up front.
    This season isn't a write off... We're back to having to watch the teams below us again.
    If we aren't careful we are going to sleep walk into relegation six pointers against Morcambe, Lincoln and Wimbledon.  What a time to be alive. 
    Agreed. The next 3 are against sides in the top 8 (although we are of course Sunderland's bogey side) and then we go to Accrington which won't be easy.

Fail to win any of those and we are right back in a relegation fight.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    I get the season being a write off comment, but the level of that performance was unacceptable. My target for Jacko is see over the next 15 matches can he stop leaking goals and get us to keep clean sheets. Every game we are giving away silly goals. 4 very tough games coming up, and we need to learn how to stop letting them in. Otherwise, we will be losing all 4 as we don’t have anyone up front.
    This season isn't a write off... We're back to having to watch the teams below us again.
    If we aren't careful we are going to sleep walk into relegation six pointers against Morcambe, Lincoln and Wimbledon.  What a time to be alive. 
    Agreed. The next 3 are against sides in the top 8 (although we are of course Sunderland's bogey side) and then we go to Accrington which won't be easy.

We are only Sunderlands bogey team when the game is in the biggest ground we will play at all season :p
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:

We are only Sunderlands bogey team when the game is in the biggest ground we will play at all season :p
    I think it's 1 defeat in 11 or 12 against them, and even that was a last minute goal with a threadbare squad when we couldn't even fill our bench.
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:

I think it's 1 defeat in 11 or 12 against them, and even that was a last minute goal with a threadbare squad when we couldn't even fill our bench.
    Because that wasn't the biggest ground we played at that season :p

It's normally a low scoring draw at the Valley though.

The last 4 times we have played them at the biggest ground we play at that season we have won.   Going back over 25 years. 
  • Croydon said:
    shirty5 said:
    Won half of his first 20 league games as manager. Better than most other Charlton managers at this stage. Today was shit but let’s be realistic 
    You can't just look at that stat in isolation though.

Team played great on the new manager bounce and picked up a bunch of wins. Good.

Since getting made permanent, we've not had 1 single great performance. Actually the performances and tactical decisions seem to be getting worse.
    I want a manager where we can see a consistent and effective style of play. I'm prepared to be patient for that, but not forever if there's absolutely no evidence of the seeds taking root for it.
    Also comparing him to managers who were doing it at a higher level
    Jackson 50%
    Powell 25%

Maybe promotion would not have happened under Powell if the board had binned him at the end of that season.

Hence Jackson starts next season as manager in my opinion. 

But there needs to be a clear way going forward with all parties concerned and especially on the recruitment front 
  • Hypothetically speaking, if TS decides Jacko isn’t the man to take us forward, who comes in? And who the hell could get this set of players playing consistent winning football?, I’m not sure there is a manager capable of doing that with this lot of utter letdowns. 
  • se9addick said:
    The real problem is TS and his lack of understanding in how to run a football club.

He is full of cliches and bullshit, do yourself a favour and get a proper football man to run the club, we are embarrassing on and off the pitch.

This.
    This is really where I’m at now. You could bring Pep Guardiola in, but if TS won’t/can’t address the underlying issues off the pitch then we are going to continue on a downward trajectory.
    They are ultimately responsible for recruitment, team selection, and the tactics played on the pitch.

The Buck stops at Sandgaard s door.
    Until he gets things right off the pitch by bringing in an experienced CEO who knows how to run the club properly and until we have a much better transfer window than the last three then there's little that Jackson can do.
    I do not believe that Bowyer Adkins and Jackson are all bad manager's and changing Jackson now will have little effect. 
    A decent CEO and a good transfer window is what is required. 
    Unfortunately I don't think either will happen under Sandgaard. 
    Sad to say that I'm beginning to lean in this direction too ( COULD be the wind though.... :-) ) 

Without wishing to bring religion into the debate, it would seem that management, SMT & owner are clearly far from singing from the same hymn sheet. 

But, having stated that, do we have a SMT ? 

TS's desire to fill The Valley & build overseas' support are decent objectives but if the foundations of the club are insubstantial, the day to day running is in the hands of football virgins, and communication lines are poor at best, what happens on the pitch will suffer. 

And ultimately, THAT'S why supporters support. 

" Build it, and they will come " .

And conversely, feck it up, and they'll vote with their feet.... 
  • se9addick said:

This.

Until he gets things right off the pitch by bringing in an experienced CEO who knows how to run the club properly and until we have a much better transfer window than the last three then there's little that Jackson can do.
    I do not believe that Bowyer Adkins and Jackson are all bad manager's and changing Jackson now will have little effect. 
    Sad to say that I'm beginning to lean in this direction too ( COULD be the wind though.... :-) ) 

Without wishing to bring religion into the debate, it would seem that management, SMT & owner are clearly far from singing from the same hymn sheet. 

TS's desire to fill The Valley & build overseas' support are decent objectives but if the foundations of the club are insubstantial, the day to day running is in the hands of football virgins, and communication lines are poor at best, what happens on the pitch will suffer. 

A fanbase will be built on an outstanding football team not an owner’s ability to gaslight the general public
  • paulfox said:
    Hypothetically speaking, if TS decides Jacko isn’t the man to take us forward, who comes in? And who the hell could get this set of players playing consistent winning football?, I’m not sure there is a manager capable of doing that with this lot of utter letdowns. 
    If he decides Jackson isn't the man for what ever reason and plugs anyone else into this set up they will only, ultimately, fail. 

If your going to give someone else the job and cart blanch over everything else why not give that to Jackson, or why not do that last summer?

You could write the candidates that have a better CV than Adkins, a better connection with the club than Jackson and would be intrested on the back of a stamp.  With a sharpie. 
  • se9addick said:

This.

• Cafc43v3r said:
    paulfox said:
    Hypothetically speaking, if TS decides Jacko isn’t the man to take us forward, who comes in? And who the hell could get this set of players playing consistent winning football?, I’m not sure there is a manager capable of doing that with this lot of utter letdowns. 
    If he decides Jackson isn't the man for what ever reason and plugs anyone else into this set up they will only, ultimately, fail. 

If your going to give someone else the job and cart blanch over everything else why not give that to Jackson, or why not do that last summer?

You could write the candidates that have a better CV than Adkins, a better connection with the club than Jackson and would be intrested on the back of a stamp.  With a sharpie. 
    How are we still in this predicament, only Charlton fans could make it up!!🤣
  • se9addick said:

This.

I agree that on paper both of these strategies make sense but put into the real world context of a L1 football they don’t work.

- Fill the Valley, great for the occasional lift in matchday atmosphere (Plymouth) but those attending aren’t coming back to pay so it’s not increasing revenue & seems to be causing negative PR

- Overseas Fanbase - This simply won’t work on mass as a L1 football club, there’s not enough media coverage to drive it and L1 isn’t desirable enough, especially in 16th place.
  • SDAddick said:
    I was very skeptical of giving him the job for any length of time when he was made caretaker. I felt that he had been a part of the last three regimes, all of which ended poorly, and all of which ended with serious tactical failings. Under Bow we were playing a new formation every game and playing it poorly. Under Adkins we played only one formation, and we played it poorly. And I never felt he was a great tactician or reader of the game as a player. 

But after his performances as caretaker I thought he had more about him than I'd given him credit for. It seemed he sent the players out with a game plan and a style of play which we'd been desperately lacking. He never seemed a tactical genius in that run, but I figured that he was good enough that when combined with his man management he'd do a job.

Even when we struggled over Christmas and in January I wasn't overly concerned. And we bounced back with three wins in the spin. 

But what we've seen the last three matches does concern me. Yes, we're missing three crucial strikers. But the rest of the team looks a shambles. Teams have figured out what we're trying to do. And as such, we look completely lost. Our pressing is poor, our defensive organization is all over the shop, our team selection seems somewhat random. And worst of all, we can't keep the ball. Our little triangles are gone. We don't even lump it forward. We just sort of pass it to the other team.

Not every player in this side is good enough for a promotion push but I'm sorry, they're not that terrible either. And they showed that in the early days of Jacko's management. Clare has fallen off a cliff. Purrington, played out of position, looks like it. Lee was at times our best player this season just looks a shell of himself. Gilbey, who was so crucial in the run in last year and the early days of Jacko's reign, is non-existant. Matthews has struggled all year but there is a decent League One player in there. And DJ started so well under Jacko just seems to have gone backward. 

I'm sorry but I just don't believe every player in this side is shit. This is a group of players who beat Sunderland and Ipswich and went toe to toe with Rotherham. This is a team performing far below their capabilities. And it's the manager's job to get the most out of players. And Jacko, emphatically, is not doing that. Again yes, missing the three strikers is big, but a good coach makes adjustments, even if they don't work you need to be flexible. What was our game plan today? What changes did we make? Why wasn't Kanu in the bench and Burstow starting? 

Even if we had 18 bad players, it's a lot easier to get rid of one manager than 18 players. Especially when a fair amount of money has been spent assembling this squad (not always well, admittedly).

I'm not saying sack Jacko. But I've now crossed into the realm that his capability to do this job is in question. Give him until the end of the season. But whether or not he comes back should be determined on how he does the rest of the way. 

Last thing that's a pet peeve of mine, the idea that we can't plan for the summer if we don't know if Jacko will be in charge is nonsense. We have a recruitment team whose job it is to recruit players that will fit well into a system together, regardless of who the manager is. It is then the job of club leadership to make sure they appoint a manager who has the right ideas of how to work with the players into a system. Long gone are the days of Curbs spotting a player he likes, ringing him up, and signing him. Fair enough the manager gets final sign off, but that recruitment team is there to provide continuity between managers. And if they're not doing that, and there are definitely signs that they're not, and if club leadership isn't recruiting managers who can work with the set of players we have, and I have some questions about that, then those groups should be judged individually. This is a team put together for three different managers who play at least three different formations. And that is a failure in continuity in recruitment and in bringing in the right manager. But letting another manager overhaul a squad when it's not clear if he's up to the job would be a mistake. 
    Surely the “recruitment team” consists of Steve Gallen as far as professional football experience is concerned, unless you include the first-team management?
    Gallen, now formerly Roddy, and then Martin Sandgaard. I imagine they have a network of scouts and a data analyst or two who they work with. Gallen has had some very good years for us, and some others that are questionable. But the fact is that those two will almost certainly outlast Jacko and thus they need to have a longer term vision of recruitment. 
  • Sponsored links:

• We need bigger players according to Jackson. That will solve our problems:

The Addicks have conceded 10 goals in their last four matches – shipping four in Saturday’s reverse at the hands of Oxford United.

Charlton kept four clean sheets in their opening five matches when Jackson was in caretaker charge following the dismissal of Nigel Adkins.

And the Addicks boss reckons at least part of their vulnerability is down to missing the aerial ability of Jayden Stockley and Chuks Aneke, although all Oxford’s goals at the weekend were low strikes.

“We’ve been caught on the counter-attack quite a bit and conceded a few from set-pieces – the personnel doesn’t help with that on certain ones,” said Jackson.

“There are certain ones who make you stronger in your own box. But when you attack you have to be vigilant as well and that is something we’ve maybe gone away from – are we prepared and ready to do our job if there is a turnover?

“I haven’t had the opportunity to put Ryan Inniss, Jayden Stockley and Conor Washington on the pitch together and that would make a big difference in either box.

“We’re not a big side and that has been a little bit of our downfall. If you take Inniss, Stockley and a couple of others out we’re not a big team and set-pieces are a big part of the game. We need to think about that when we plan as well for next season.”

• We need bigger players according to Jackson. That will solve our problems:

The Addicks have conceded 10 goals in their last four matches – shipping four in Saturday’s reverse at the hands of Oxford United.

Charlton kept four clean sheets in their opening five matches when Jackson was in caretaker charge following the dismissal of Nigel Adkins.

And the Addicks boss reckons at least part of their vulnerability is down to missing the aerial ability of Jayden Stockley and Chuks Aneke, although all Oxford’s goals at the weekend were low strikes.

“We’ve been caught on the counter-attack quite a bit and conceded a few from set-pieces – the personnel doesn’t help with that on certain ones,” said Jackson.

“There are certain ones who make you stronger in your own box. But when you attack you have to be vigilant as well and that is something we’ve maybe gone away from – are we prepared and ready to do our job if there is a turnover?

“I haven’t had the opportunity to put Ryan Inniss, Jayden Stockley and Conor Washington on the pitch together and that would make a big difference in either box.

“We’re not a big side and that has been a little bit of our downfall. If you take Inniss, Stockley and a couple of others out we’re not a big team and set-pieces are a big part of the game. We need to think about that when we plan as well for next season.”

Needs more aerial ability in the team. Replaces 2 CB positions with a midfielder and full back. Joined up thinking.
  • edited February 2022
    When our team is fit, we're already massive. We need more players who can control and pass the ball, not lumps.
  • Chunes said:
    When our team is fit, we're already massive. We need more players who can control and pass the ball, not lumps.
    As I just said elsewhere, this makes me seriously, seriously doubt Jackson's ability as a manager
  • He might have meant that without the lads up front the ball is just returning to our defence so quickly and easily. It doesn't help that they're ready and waiting to make a mistake.
  • edited February 2022
    Can anyone remember the list of things Adkins said a good team need, I think it was at a Bromley meeting.  

Edit

Henry IrvingHenry Irving
    October 2021
    His comment on the make up of an league one team was interesting but I couldn't get in to ask the follow up which was "do you have it".
    He said you need six "big 'uns" as a high percentage (he said what but I can't remember) of goals come from, for and against, set plays.

Then you need a left and a right footed set piece taker. You need a pacey player and a goalscorer (20 to 30 goals) as well as a captain.

The players need to be athletic, robust enough to play 40 games, warriors when things are hard, willing to learn and be coachable IE can improve, not set in their ways and have technical ability with 85% pass completion."

Hmmmm 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Can anyone remember the list of things Adkins said a good team need, I think it was at a Bromley meeting.   
    1) smile on face
    2) good night's rest
    3) pro-walking attitude
  • edited February 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:

Edit

Henry IrvingHenry Irving
    October 2021
    His comment on the make up of an league one team was interesting but I couldn't get in to ask the follow up which was "do you have it".
    He said you need six "big 'uns" as a high percentage (he said what but I can't remember) of goals come from, for and against, set plays.

Then you need a left and a right footed set piece taker. You need a pacey player and a goalscorer (20 to 30 goals) as well as a captain.

The players need to be athletic, robust enough to play 40 games, warriors when things are hard, willing to learn and be coachable IE can improve, not set in their ways and have technical ability with 85% pass completion."

Hmmmm 
    No wonder he wasn’t happy with the summer recruitment then and threw that big strop in the summer… we are miles off what he thinks we needed
  • Cafc43v3r said:

Edit

Henry IrvingHenry Irving
    October 2021

Hmmmm 
    This. Adkins clearly identified what we needed (and probably said the same during the summer). 

Jackson is still talking about the need for '6 big 'uns' which shows that Adkins clearly wasn't given what he wanted and had to make do. The same job Jackson is still doing. 

Pressure should be on Gallen and TS to actually provide managers with tools in which to operate successfully in. They failed last summer.