Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Give Jacko The Job (He got given it on page 31...)

Comments

• edited February 2022
    Scoham said:
    We signed one of the best central midfield playmakers in the league in January, Fraser’s not the type player you spend relatively big money on if you just want to build a big powerful team to bully the opposition.
    But Sco, you yourself have pointed out that we seem to sign players at random, who do not fit into a system or style of play e.g. Kirk. Something that resonated with me.
  • Chunes said:
    Scoham said:
    We signed one of the best central midfield playmakers in the league in January, Fraser’s not the type player you spend relatively big money on if you just want to build a big powerful team to bully the opposition.
    But Sco, you yourself have pointed out that we seem to sign players at random, who do not fit into a system or style of play e.g. Kirk. Something that resonated with me.
    I think that’s a different point - some have taken needing more aerial power to mean we want to play long ball and focus on out running teams with no intention to play good football.

Our summer signings didn’t appear to have been thought through, perhaps after missing out on our main targets due to the budget or overestimating who would sign for us. Arter signed based on his career for example, or Kirk as you say who is a very different left winger to Millar.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Can anyone remember the list of things Adkins said a good team need, I think it was at a Bromley meeting.  

Edit

Henry IrvingHenry Irving
    October 2021
    His comment on the make up of an league one team was interesting but I couldn't get in to ask the follow up which was "do you have it".
    He said you need six "big 'uns" as a high percentage (he said what but I can't remember) of goals come from, for and against, set plays.

Then you need a left and a right footed set piece taker. You need a pacey player and a goalscorer (20 to 30 goals) as well as a captain.

The players need to be athletic, robust enough to play 40 games, warriors when things are hard, willing to learn and be coachable IE can improve, not set in their ways and have technical ability with 85% pass completion."

Hmmmm 
    This. Adkins clearly identified what we needed (and probably said the same during the summer). 

Jackson is still talking about the need for '6 big 'uns' which shows that Adkins clearly wasn't given what he wanted and had to make do. The same job Jackson is still doing. 

Pressure should be on Gallen and TS to actually provide managers with tools in which to operate successfully in. They failed last summer. 
    My impression is that Gallen's only role in recruitment in the TS era is to pick up the phone to the designated target as identified  by TS and son of TS (maybe wife of TS too, for all I know). 

The last time he had a free hand and budget to suggest targets and recruit them in partnership with the manager, was in the last days of the Roland empire when Tommy Driesen was left out of it.  And he did very well and helped us get promoted though Bowyer's reputation as a player must have helped too.

I have no insider knowledge but it seems bizarre to blame Gallen for a recruitment system he is clearly not running.  
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Can anyone remember the list of things Adkins said a good team need, I think it was at a Bromley meeting.  

Edit

Henry IrvingHenry Irving
    October 2021
    His comment on the make up of an league one team was interesting but I couldn't get in to ask the follow up which was "do you have it".
    He said you need six "big 'uns" as a high percentage (he said what but I can't remember) of goals come from, for and against, set plays.

Then you need a left and a right footed set piece taker. You need a pacey player and a goalscorer (20 to 30 goals) as well as a captain.

The players need to be athletic, robust enough to play 40 games, warriors when things are hard, willing to learn and be coachable IE can improve, not set in their ways and have technical ability with 85% pass completion."

Hmmmm 
    This. Adkins clearly identified what we needed (and probably said the same during the summer). 

Jackson is still talking about the need for '6 big 'uns' which shows that Adkins clearly wasn't given what he wanted and had to make do. The same job Jackson is still doing. 

Pressure should be on Gallen and TS to actually provide managers with tools in which to operate successfully in. They failed last summer. 
    My impression is that Gallen's only role in recruitment in the TS era is to pick up the phone to the designated target as identified  by TS and son of TS (maybe wife of TS too, for all I know). 

The last time he had a free hand and budget to suggest targets and recruit them in partnership with the manager, was in the last days of the Roland empire when Tommy Driesen was left out of it.  And he did very well and helped us get promoted though Bowyer's reputation as a player must have helped too.

I have no insider knowledge but it seems bizarre to blame Gallen for a recruitment system he is clearly not running.  
    In what way is it clear Gallen isn't running it?
  • Cafc43v3r said:

Edit

Henry IrvingHenry Irving
    October 2021

Hmmmm 

I would suggest that Gallen was largely responsible for MacGillivray, Arter, Leko, Stockley, Famewo, Souare and Lee.......
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Edit

Henry IrvingHenry Irving
    October 2021

Hmmmm 

I would suggest that Gallen was largely responsible for MacGillivray, Arter, Leko, Stockley, Famewo, Souare and Lee.......
    Pretty poor then.
    I would suggest only Stockley has been a success from that lot.
  • Cafc43v3r said:

Edit

Henry IrvingHenry Irving
    October 2021

Hmmmm 

Because the article in the SLp last week said so.

• Maccn05 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Edit

Henry IrvingHenry Irving
    October 2021

Hmmmm 

And that's changed since the Gallen and Roddy show.  And anything Thomas, Roddy, Adkins and uncle Tom cobbly said in the summer and autumn. 

Every time they release a statement or do an interview it changes. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Edit

Henry IrvingHenry Irving
    October 2021

Hmmmm 

Pretty poor then.
    I would suggest only Stockley has been a success from that lot.
    I should clarify in the summer.  I have no idea who was responsible for signing Stockley last January.  I suspect it was Bowyer. 
  • So if they've done well it wasn't recruitment board, if they've been poor it was the recruitment board. 

I assume these are all recruitment board signings as Sandgaard was in post for the completion of their deals:

Charlie Kirk - Now playing in the Championship - Why didn't it work here? 
    Sam Lavelle - Long term injury can't judge really. 
    George Dobson - Started slow, now our best player.
    Craig MacGillivray - Came off the back of a very decent season with Portsmouth, has made some fantastic saves, but a lot of basic errors. 
    Corey Blackett-Taylor - Took a gamble, when fit has been good.
    Chuks Aneke - Shame we couldn't afford to beat Birmingham on salary - he's back now though, doesn't seem to have the same gritty determination.
    Sean Clare - Started very poorly in the most ill thought out three man midfield of young players. Could be a decent wing back?
    Scott Fraser - Should be class at this level, unlucky with Covid. 
    Pape Souare (FA) - This guy played in the PL :lol:
    Stephen Henderson (FA) - Past it.
    Ronnie Schwartz - Never settled. 
    Alex Gilbey - Looked okay until recently.
    Chris Gunter - Should have been a fantastic signing, has looked poor ever since joining. 
    Omar Bogle - A gamble was taken that we'd have two big strong fellas, Bogle was not great. 
    Marcus Maddison - Another that at this level should have been fantastic. He had lost his desire to train and play with any intensity. 
    Ben Watson - Should have been a good signing... Bloke seems to have forgotten how to play. 
    Conor Washington - For me, I think Conor has been half decent. He works so hard for that front line, it's no wonder Stockley likes playing with him. 
    Ryan Inniss - Injury aside a very good player. "If he can stay fit"
    Diallang Jaiyesimi - Consistency is the problem with DJ, but then I don't expect players to play consistently well out of position. 

Andrew Shinnie (L2B) - No idea why we didn't renew him, decent at this level.
    Jayden Stockley (L2B) - When fit we know what we get from him. 

Liam Miller (L) - Good player
    Dylan Levitt (L) - Poor player 
    Matt Smith (L) - Poor player
    Ian Maatsen (L) - Good player
    Harry Arter (L) - Poor player - should have been good enough at this level.
    Jonathan Leko (L) - I like Jonathan Leko, I just don't like him playing up front.
    Elliott Lee (L) - Good start has gone well off the boil though.
    Juan Castillo (L) - TBC
    Nile John (L) - TBC
    Akin Famewo (L,L) - Was good to begin with at Charlton, has not lived up to that since his injury though.

(I've probably missed some as we've had so many through the doors since 2019/2020, I have also omitted any renewed players) 

• Sponsored links:

• edited February 2022
  • Maccn05 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Edit

Henry IrvingHenry Irving
    October 2021

Hmmmm 

If MS is leading the analysts what about the scouts? I assume they report into Steve Gallen? They must be involved in the process somewhere, even if after identifying players they then need to be reviewed by the analyst team.
  • Scoham said:
    Maccn05 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Edit

Henry IrvingHenry Irving
    October 2021

Hmmmm 

If MS is leading the analysts what about the scouts? I assume they report into Steve Gallen? They must be involved in the process somewhere, even if after identifying players they then need to be reviewed by the analyst team.
    Do we still have a scouting system/network? Isn't raw data fed into the black box nowadays with YouTube vids as back up
  • Maccn05 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Edit

Henry IrvingHenry Irving
    October 2021

Hmmmm 

This reads as if Gallen only handles the negotiation side of things. Doesn’t mention anything about him being part of the process when identifying talent. 
  • J BLOCK said:
    Maccn05 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Edit

Henry IrvingHenry Irving
    October 2021

Hmmmm 

This reads as if Gallen only handles the negotiation side of things. Doesn’t mention anything about him being part of the process when identifying talent. 
    That is how I am reading that, TS & MS discuss the potential players with JJ and then SG sorts the admin.
  • In short - no-one seems to know for sure. Which in itself is probably highly suggestive of where at least some of the problems actually occur.

Too many cooks in the kitchen perhaps, and not enough of them being experts at that. 
  • edited February 2022
    J BLOCK said:
    Maccn05 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Edit

Henry IrvingHenry Irving
    October 2021

Hmmmm 

That is how I am reading that, TS & MS discuss the potential players with JJ and then SG sorts the admin.
    If this *is* how it is, then it's really no different from the Duchâtelet era with Driesen.

In fact it may be worse if Sandgaard himself is also having a say in players - having had similar experience in this to his son (zero).
  • Trying to work out where the big aerial presence was in our last two promotion teams. In 2011/12 we obviously had Morrison and Taylor, but Solly and Wiggins combined were about 4 ft 2. Hollands, Stpehens, Green, Wagstaff, Hughes, Jackson all ranged from small to average size and none of them were there to win big headers. Yann wasn't even that tall, but had Terminator blood so won every header, and BWP was teeny. We had alternative players, but that team basically operated with two tall centre backs (Cort as back-up) and one Yann. We conceded 36 goals that season, the fewest in the league and 8 goals fewer than the nearest team in second. Only third for goals scored though, so our ability to not concede contributed hugely to us being runaway champions.
    In 2018/19 we had some big lads. Bauer and Naby were big lads, Bielik and Taylor both are around 6'2. After that though Pearce is small for a CB (and is still here) and Pratley and Purrington are the next biggest. Basically the same format as the 11/12 side, with big CBs and a bigger striker, with Bielik alternating between CB and defensive midfield. Not giants or bruisers. We conceded 40 goals that season, the second lowest behind Barnsley by 1. 6th in the goals scored chart though, hence why we finished 3rd. If anything, the team is more imposing now; Inniss, Stockley, Clare, Chuks, Lavelle, Famewo, even Burstow are all bigger than Pearce, it's a similarly sized squad. Height isn't everything when it comes to imposing yourself physically but in 2018/19 were were working with the likes of Grant, Williams, Ward, Marshall, Reeves, Solly, players who couldn't win a header stood on each other's shoulders. We've already conceded 43 goals this season with 14 games to go and we've only scored 41. That's our problem, it's not that we're letting too many set pieces undo us, it's that in our brief moments of good play we don't actually score enough, and then any goal conceded is a game changer rather than a consolation for the opposition. We invite teams to pressure us by not pressing home our periods of dominance and it's no surprise that lapses happen. I don't think being able to clear the box is what's going to give us clean sheets, it's controlling play, taking chances, having patterns of play and not letting the opposition think that they can get something from the game as long as they wait for us to run out of steam after 15 minutes of ok play. It worries me a bit that Jackson's looking at the shitshow in front of him and thinking 'if everyone was taller and fatter we'd have this'.
  • boggzy said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Maccn05 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Edit

Henry IrvingHenry Irving
    October 2021

Hmmmm 

If this *is* how it is, then it's really no different from the Duchâtelet era with Driesen.

In fact it may be worse if Sandgaard himself is also having a say in players - having had similar experience in this to his son (zero).
    Of course none of us know for sure but my guess is that's why Nigel Adkins got the hump after the last summer recruitment debacle and why chirpy Jonny Jackson is sulking now. 

Jackson certainly didn't want Nile John or Castillo and maybe not even Chuks and Fraser. 

It might also be why Bowyer buggered off to Birmingham.  

Do we think Steve Gallen scouted Ronnie Schwarz and his Danish roots were just coincidental ?  Please !

Big Tommy,  King of the guitar solo selects our new players with help from his son and unfortunately it isn't working.  

Then the manager takes the flak while some on here somehow think its Gallen's failing.  
  • boggzy said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Maccn05 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Edit

Henry IrvingHenry Irving
    October 2021

Hmmmm 

Of course none of us know for sure but my guess is that's why Nigel Adkins got the hump after the last summer recruitment debacle and why chirpy Jonny Jackson is sulking now. 

Jackson certainly didn't want Nile John or Castillo and maybe not even Chuks and Fraser. 

It might also be why Bowyer buggered off to Birmingham.  

Do we think Steve Gallen scouted Ronnie Schwarz and his Danish roots were just coincidental ?  Please !

Big Tommy,  King of the guitar solo selects our new players with help from his son and unfortunately it isn't working.  

Then the manager takes the flak while some on here somehow think its Gallen's failing.  
    Sandgaard has never denied that Schwartz was his signing. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Trying to work out where the big aerial presence was in our last two promotion teams. In 2011/12 we obviously had Morrison and Taylor, but Solly and Wiggins combined were about 4 ft 2. Hollands, Stpehens, Green, Wagstaff, Hughes, Jackson all ranged from small to average size and none of them were there to win big headers. Yann wasn't even that tall, but had Terminator blood so won every header, and BWP was teeny. We had alternative players, but that team basically operated with two tall centre backs (Cort as back-up) and one Yann. We conceded 36 goals that season, the fewest in the league and 8 goals fewer than the nearest team in second. Only third for goals scored though, so our ability to not concede contributed hugely to us being runaway champions.
    In 2018/19 we had some big lads. Bauer and Naby were big lads, Bielik and Taylor both are around 6'2. After that though Pearce is small for a CB (and is still here) and Pratley and Purrington are the next biggest. Basically the same format as the 11/12 side, with big CBs and a bigger striker, with Bielik alternating between CB and defensive midfield. Not giants or bruisers. We conceded 40 goals that season, the second lowest behind Barnsley by 1. 6th in the goals scored chart though, hence why we finished 3rd. If anything, the team is more imposing now; Inniss, Stockley, Clare, Chuks, Lavelle, Famewo, even Burstow are all bigger than Pearce, it's a similarly sized squad. Height isn't everything when it comes to imposing yourself physically but in 2018/19 were were working with the likes of Grant, Williams, Ward, Marshall, Reeves, Solly, players who couldn't win a header stood on each other's shoulders. We've already conceded 43 goals this season with 14 games to go and we've only scored 41. That's our problem, it's not that we're letting too many set pieces undo us, it's that in our brief moments of good play we don't actually score enough, and then any goal conceded is a game changer rather than a consolation for the opposition. We invite teams to pressure us by not pressing home our periods of dominance and it's no surprise that lapses happen. I don't think being able to clear the box is what's going to give us clean sheets, it's controlling play, taking chances, having patterns of play and not letting the opposition think that they can get something from the game as long as they wait for us to run out of steam after 15 minutes of ok play. It worries me a bit that Jackson's looking at the shitshow in front of him and thinking 'if everyone was taller and fatter we'd have this'.
    You are a scientist and a scholar 
    I like to think it’s a comment made in the moment that was because he’s pressed for a reason why the recent performances have been poor, and he doesn’t genuinely think it’s an issue.  Maybe in his head he thinks, I used to win headers and do quite well in the air, it’s a quality we need more of, but don’t have enough of, rather than it being like a big thing to address.

The tactical approach is something I think needs to be watched though.  The 3-5-2 seems to have been worked out.  A good example would be tonight.  Curbs was a big fan of stopping a rot after a few bad results.  We don’t have any recognised forwards, so as painful as it may be to watch, there’s an argument for parking the bus tonight and not getting beat.  If we are as wide open as we were on Saturday, we could be on the end of another spanking.  That would be a disaster.  Hopefully there’s an element of Jackson’s thinking saying, I must do all I can not to get beat 
  • J BLOCK said:
    Maccn05 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Edit

Henry IrvingHenry Irving
    October 2021

Hmmmm 

Wait until the next statement it will be subtlety different........
  • edited February 2022
    I think people are mis-reading that statement. 

I'd expect it is more a case of Jackson and MS discuss and put forward players to the group, once all are happy TS authorises and Gallen is unleashed to chase them down. 

It specifically says he has the final call with input from JJ & MS. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:

Edit

Henry IrvingHenry Irving
    October 2021

Hmmmm 

Wrong, Gallen claimed he personally knew of Castillo and had been tracking him for a couple of years. So he is responsible for one loanee at the very least.
  • Cafc43v3r said:

Edit

Henry IrvingHenry Irving
    October 2021

Hmmmm 

Wrong, Gallen claimed he personally knew of Castillo and had been tracking him for a couple of years. So he is responsible for one loanee at the very least.
    Read what Gallen says about all of our signings, when they sign, when they fail and anywhere in between. 

It's not Gallen's fault because he is put up when it isn't all down yo him but I now take everything he says with a pinch of salt. 
  • Jacko’s points per game 30/20
    would currently put us on 49.5 points which is 11th position
    and a season ending total of 69 points .
  • Cafc43v3r said:

Edit

Henry IrvingHenry Irving
    October 2021

Hmmmm 

Which is completely wrong SG is head of recruitment, director of the football side of the club he works closely with JJ and TS in determining targets and budgets … then his team go about getting the players in SG is very much in charge of recruitment…. TS son is part of SG team that’s it 
  • Cafc43v3r said:

Edit

Henry IrvingHenry Irving
    October 2021

Hmmmm 

Which is completely wrong SG is head of recruitment, director of the football side of the club he works closely with JJ and TS in determining targets and budgets … then his team go about getting the players in SG is very much in charge of recruitment…. TS son is part of SG team that’s it 
    TS confirmed they both report into him, they both run their own teams and work together.

SG is now director of recruiting and MS is director of analysis.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/exclusive-martin-sandgaard-appointed-charlton-athletics-director-of-analysis/

“Now he is responsible for all of the data analysis. Those people formally report to him.

“He reports directly to me. Steve Gallen [director of football] also reports directly to me. Steve is the negotiating part of it. If you want to sell anything in your house, just ask Steve Gallen! He is the best negotiator you can find.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/61c596681c4de/update-on-roles-of-steve-gallen-and-martin-sandgaard

The club are pleased to confirm that Steve Gallen has taken up the role as Charlton’s Director of Recruiting and Martin Sandgaard has been appointed as the club’s Director of Analysis.