Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Give Jacko The Job (He got given it on page 31...)

Comments

• I don't see how Jacko's contract has any influence on the players' contracts. Prep for the best team for next year. That means signing up a couple now. 
    I can see how it might influence his team selections as it might force him not to experiment with youth, just so he can try and get a league position, but that was a flaw he accepted. Frankly the only young players likely to get a couple of games this season are Deji and Ness anyway. If we see an upturn in performance, even without the results, he'll be in a much stronger position  with Sandgaard, not least because he'll have all the fans behind him. Many more performances like the first 70 minutes against Bolton, and he'll feel some pressure, and rightly it'll be a tougher discussion in the summer. He needs to show he can build a team that will attack and defend to the best of their limited ability, has some flexibility in tactics, and can get us excited. I don’t believe this team is yet good enough to go up. I do believe these players are good enough to do a damn sight better than they did Tuesday night. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    But but, I thought it was a great contract, revolutionary, changing the game, can't reward failure.

Etc etc
    🙃
    In fairness I doubt many expected unless a complete disaster that he'd be under threat for this summer. 
    But he, or any manager, will always potentially be under threat in the lead up to end of season. Wasn't a fan of how this contract comes across and still not. 

Too much getting carried away with the Sandgaard effect and Jacko being made perm to look at the potential bucket load of issues that could spring up.

Managing a team in football isn't really comparable to managing a department in an office, Kevin the head of accounts doesn't have to worry about his star striker being out for months, there's a reason why football clubs aren't run like BJ Accountants... It just doesn't.. really work... admirable, but not very practical.
    I think we should avoid assuming Sandgaard sees a football team manager as requiring the same management as an office team manager. The structure of the contract makes sense when gambling on a brand new manager. I expect Jackson is more secure in his role than his players now believe.  
  • You cannot judge a manager that hasn't had a summer transfer window to build his team. Must say I do find it confusing that we are sticking with 352 when we clearly don't have the right players to make it work well at the moment 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    But but, I thought it was a great contract, revolutionary, changing the game, can't reward failure.

Etc etc
    🙃
    In fairness I doubt many expected unless a complete disaster that he'd be under threat for this summer. 
    But he, or any manager, will always potentially be under threat in the lead up to end of season. Wasn't a fan of how this contract comes across and still not. 

Too much getting carried away with the Sandgaard effect and Jacko being made perm to look at the potential bucket load of issues that could spring up.

Managing a team in football isn't really comparable to managing a department in an office, Kevin the head of accounts doesn't have to worry about his star striker being out for months, there's a reason why football clubs aren't run like BJ Accountants... It just doesn't.. really work... admirable, but not very practical.
    I think we should avoid assuming Sandgaard sees a football team manager as requiring the same management as an office team manager. The structure of the contract makes sense when gambling on a brand new manager. I expect Jackson is more secure in his role than his players now believe.  

A comparison for the sake of comparison, I don't think Sandgaard expects the Charlton first team to be run like Kev's team in accounts. 

BUT

The potential around issues still remain, we do know it's a contract renewed based on hitting performance targets, performances that largely depend on other people. The players. In an industry littered with variables that don't exist in others. Jackson's (or potentially any other manager if this contract continues) future and renew will come down to if the players have done their job, and if the players aren't good enough, well, not really fair is it...
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Etc etc
    🙃

A comparison for the sake of comparison, I don't think Sandgaard expects the Charlton first team to be run like Kev's team in accounts. 

BUT

The potential around issues still remain, we do know it's a contract renewed based on hitting performance targets, performances that largely depend on other people. The players. In an industry littered with variables that don't exist in others. Jackson's (or potentially any other manager if this contract continues) future and renew will come down to if the players have done their job, and if the players aren't good enough, well, not really fair is it...
    I think we would all expect a Charlton team in the third tier to be right up there and challenging. Promotion of course can’t be guaranteed but anything less than top six is abject failure. A Charlton squad will be resourced as one of the better in league one and I’m willing to bet in the top six. Jackson needs to prove he can achieve that minimum expected. He deserves next season but I’ll reserve judgment beyond that. 
  • This 'going to the press to get what I want' attitude from Jackson I'm not a fan of. 

This isn't the first time he's done it and won't be the last. 
    Exactly how I see it. TS doesn't deserve that, not after it was a deal they both agreed with. 
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    On the one hand Jacko signed the contract so he needs to accept it 

BUT

After the summer transfer window that was nothing short of daft bringing in so many players close to the deadline and having such a threadbare squad available for the 1st game of the season, the fault for this season lies squarely with TS/GR/SG/NA.  How much each of those should be blamed for it depends on what happened behind the scenes.

Jacko had to pick up that car crash with a side in the relegation zone where even a win would not get us out of the bottom four.  He quickly got us away from that issue which make no mistake had NA stayed in charge that is where we would have sat all season based on the evidence in front of us. 

To now be effectively downplaying what Jacko has achieved is ridiculous, and at any normal club we would be planning for next season NOW with the current manager. 
    This - Jacko needs to be backed for a proper pre-season and full go next season.

He goes now and then what?, new manager, new ideas, tome to bed in etc and we are in exactly the same position next year.

be careful what you wish for
  • Sponsored links:

• Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Etc etc
    🙃

BUT

I think we would all expect a Charlton team in the third tier to be right up there and challenging. Promotion of course can’t be guaranteed but anything less than top six is abject failure. A Charlton squad will be resourced as one of the better in league one and I’m willing to bet in the top six. Jackson needs to prove he can achieve that minimum expected. He deserves next season but I’ll reserve judgment beyond that. 

Oh I've got no problem with sacking Jackson off, as long as it's well thought out,  making noises about the contract situation and it's renewal this season is rocking the boat a bit as I'm sure all of us thought it wasn't an issue until next season, I just think it highlights that maybe it's not such a great contract method?type? After all.
  • edited February 2022
    Scoham said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Got to say, I want him replaced end of season. 
    Why? And if it’s going to happen why wait that long?

If it’s around his supposed lack of “tactical nous” I think that point is overdone, a tactical genius wouldn’t get this squad promoted. The recruitment hasn’t been good enough, that’s the main issue.
    Jackson has no managerial experience and the club of this size needs someone who has been (at least some what recently) a successful manager.

There's no supposed about it, as anyone who went to Crewe, Bolton and Hartlepool will have seen. He was also the Assistant Manager under Adkins, if you think he had no input into our "tactics" is naive at best. 
  • This 'going to the press to get what I want' attitude from Jackson I'm not a fan of. 

Agree in principle but do we know he's not spoken to TS first and this is a last resort?

Hopefully JJ hasn't gone straight to the press as first port of call and very unprofessional and disappointing if so regardless of how much he's revered by the fan base.

However maybe it is a last ditch for clarity after having tried/ exhausted more conventional and professional avenues?

Only 2 people will truly know.
  • My only concern for now is that when Jacko isn't happy, he reminds me 20% of Bowyer!

Get back to that KPI of 0.1% Johnnie.

Agree in principle but do we know he's not spoken to TS first and this is a last resort?

Hopefully JJ hasn't gone straight to the press as first port of call and very unprofessional and disappointing if so regardless of how much he's revered by the fan base.

However maybe it is a last ditch for clarity after having tried/ exhausted more conventional and professional avenues?

Only 2 people will truly know.
    Its February, hardly last chance saloon time. 

Seems like Jackson doesn't have faith in his team and wants a guarantee regardless of their performance for the rest of the season that he will get an extension. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2022
    Jacko got this one wrong. Just get your head down, win some games, and see where you are at the end of the season. 

I very much doubt we're losing out on players as a result of his future being unsure anyway, players don't usually start moving until they come back from holiday. 
  • edited February 2022
    Chunes said:
    Jacko got this one wrong. Just get your head down, win some games, and see where you are at the end of the season. 

I very much doubt we're losing out on players as a result of his future being unsure anyway, players don't usually start moving until they come back from holiday. 
    More the knock on impact I think, getting the current squad members we want to keep signed up before the season ends and starting to line up summer signings by talking to agents etc. It’s a lot to do if it’s all left until May and we’ll end up in the same position making a lot of signings in August.
  • Scoham said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Scoham said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Got to say, I want him replaced end of season. 
    Why? And if it’s going to happen why wait that long?

If it’s around his supposed lack of “tactical nous” I think that point is overdone, a tactical genius wouldn’t get this squad promoted. The recruitment hasn’t been good enough, that’s the main issue.
    Jackson has no managerial experience and the club of this size needs someone who has been (at least some what recently) a successful manager.

There's no supposed about it, as anyone who went to Crewe, Bolton and Hartlepool will have seen. He was also the Assistant Manager under Adkins, if you think he had no input into our "tactics" is naive at best. 
    “We need an experienced manager” gets thrown around a lot but you only need to look at some of the managers we’ve had in the last 10 years to know it’s not true.

Powell and Bowyer had no experience. Robinson and Adkins both won promotion from this level.

Take it further and look at the top three, Rotherham’s Paul Warne took them up in his first full season as manager. Wigan’s Leam Richardson is in his second permanent managerial role and his first was a short spell with Accrington years ago. MK Dons Liam Manning is in his first managers job in this country, last season was his first and that was in Belgium.

There are plenty more examples, this is a league where successful managers tend to be younger.

Last thing I want is another Adkins style appointment. It doesn’t make success more likely and if they were that good managers like him wouldn’t need to drop down to L1.
    I don't disagree with what you've said, but where we are as a club, with what needs to be done, we need an experienced, strong minded manager to come in. Sort the mess out on and off the pitch.

For me, Jacko isn't that man right now. 
  • Not convinced we’re in a worse position than when Powell and Bowyer took over. A mid table squad which will be inconsistent and needs rebuilding in the summer.
  • Chunes said:

Usual difference between 10th and 17th is about 7 points come the end of the season. Difference between Jacko staying and not staying could be based on winning some dead rubbers matches. Personally, hope we get to end of March and Jacko has shown he’s the man to TS and we can start planning then.

Fully expect Jacko to be in charge start of next season.