Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Ipswich Town | Tuesday 7 December 2021

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2021
    iaitch said:
    We must be doing something right as Rotherham, Plymouth and now Ipswich have commented on us being the best team they've played.
    I suppose on the flip side, Morecambe and Shrewsbury might say we were nothing special. We were missing Pearce and Stockley, but it was the same midfield, and the passing and creativity weren't anywhere near as good.

It's brilliant to beat the "good" sides in this division, but you also need to dispatch the scruffy ones, especially away from home. You're not going to win every game, but if we had won those games we would have been 10th now, 5 points off he playoffs.
    Yes, but “you’re not going to win every game”. Morecambe was frustrating and Shrewsbury pretty rubbish, but bearing Plymouth and last night more than make up for them, in my view. It’s also important to win in front of the home fans.

It would have been wildly unrealistic to think we could or should have won every game since Jackson took over (excluding Rotherham) and the suspension of Stockley was critical to the two away results.

Jacko will get the job in the next week, probably until the end of the season. Everyone knows it, hence there is no panic and no need for panic. 
    Who's panicking! Just noting that we've seem to play our best football against the better sides, especially at home.

Indeed Gateshead gave us far more of a game than Ipswich
    Nobody, which was the point I was making. I think conditions come into performances - ironically it was quite benign last night after the wind and rain earlier. I’m sure they hurt us a bit at Shrewsbury, along with the suspension.

Gateshead is an interesting one, but you have to give them credit for that.
  • Options
    Are the goals available anywhere? Really want to see our 2nd again 

Doesn't anyone check the Rolling Reels thread anymore..really surprised at you @AFKABartram... B)
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Can't believe how many 7's Lee is getting, he made one decent pass all game!

Albie Morgan if he played like that would be lucky to get a 4 from these same people.
    I think it's the fact he knits play so well and takes interesting positions. He doesn't let his head drop and works hard.

...was a clear 6 for me. Maybe a few more games of such quality, our No10 might return to the fold 😉
  • Options
    Worrying time for Ipswich given how much money they have spent and how dispirited both fans and players seem. L1 is not easy to get out of and their next managerial appointment is key. We were in a pretty similar position and thankfully JJ has turned things around.
  • Options
    Those highlights didn't show the move where we were playing tight passes and i think it was Washington who played it across the 6 yard box but nobody to put it in. Was a ridiculously sublime move and would of been our Goal of the season.
  • Options
    I think Dobson could be the most unathletic looking footballer when he's walking. His arms are too long and his back is always hunched, like early man. Then he as soon as he gets a sniff of a football he bolts upright and turns into a machine. I absolutely love him.
    Hands off. I saw him first!
  • Options
    Worrying time for Ipswich given how much money they have spent and how dispirited both fans and players seem. L1 is not easy to get out of and their next managerial appointment is key. We were in a pretty similar position and thankfully JJ has turned things around.
    A new manager could well turn their season around, with a few tweaks and getting a better defensive shape (the latter shouldn't be hard, as it was SO poor). They had a bad night but I still expect them to at least flirt with the play-offs. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    I think Dobson could be the most unathletic looking footballer when he's walking. His arms are too long and his back is always hunched, like early man. Then he as soon as he gets a sniff of a football he bolts upright and turns into a machine. I absolutely love him.
    Hands off. I saw him first!
    Macros car park !! B)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ipswich looked like us 3 months ago!

But for their goalie who was superb that could have been 4 or 5.
    We are bullying sides. Something we've not done for a good few years.
    Give Jacko the job NOW and let's see where he can take us.
    This was exactly what I was thinking post match! No new manager bounce and their players looked frightened by us! Bloke in front of me kept shouting "he don't want it" every time their centre half got on the ball, and he was right. We sensed the fear and bullied them. Very un charlton like tbh, but great to see. COYA
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Probably my favourite player at the moment 
    Yeah, lot of man love is forming for Georgie Boy. 

Elliot Lee gets all the singing, but Dobson and Gilbey are overshadowing him imo (though Lee still doing ok).

Its a really strong 3 that are gelling well. 
    I wouldn't go that far, I think that the combination of all three is what makes it work. On their own each is good but they combine to make something better. 
  • Options
    The match reminded me that I needed to buy some eggs. 
  • Options
    promotion form display albeit against disjointed, disorganised opponents .. JJ has found a midfield and overall pattern of play as good as any other in the league
  • Options
    Solidgone said:

You were shell shocked how well we played 
    After going 1 up ?
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    I call him Dobbo.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The team spirit is fantastic at the moment and JJ should be congratulated for generating such devotion from his players (Stockley quote: "I want to finish my career at this club").

Dobson is the key. When Ipswich came strong in the first 15 minutes, it was him breaking things up and moving people forward. He then played the through ball to Washington which led to the first goal.

Gilbey then came into his own in the second half. He has made an amazing recovery from Covid.

The pattern of play suits the players JJ has. But they are all having to work very hard to make the system work and the festive period games will come fast and furious. Lets hoping that Leko settles into his normal rhythm again - he has been a bit erratic in the past two games - Davison finds his form and CBT is fit soon to add his pace and crossing to the mix.
  • Options
    As for all of the Dobson love-in, I'd love for the old chant ' What's that coming over the hill, George Dobson'  (The Automatic - Monster), to be handed to him. It's be so apt with his here, there, and everywhere, terrier style of play. Little in stature, he may look, but a monster on the pitch he definitely is. 
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    Because of the way Stockley poached the first goal?
  • Options
    Pearce must be on dried frog pills or something, he’s playing like a man possessed. 

Washington works so hard, it’s a shame his shooting when he cuts in from the left is woeful.

Their ‘keeper was unreal at times. He had no right to be anywhere near that header.

It’s difficult to find fault with anyone from last night. 
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    Can't believe how many 7's Lee is getting, he made one decent pass all game!

Albie Morgan if he played like that would be lucky to get a 4 from these same people.

He did a lot more than that, his movement allowed alot of space and options, he was getting inbetween the lines and causing problems. 

I thought he had a decent game but some stuff did not come off, hence the score of 7 I gave.