Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Ipswich Town | Tuesday 7 December 2021

Comments

• Options
    Major said:
    Really happy that under Jacko's management, Steve Gallen's Ged Roddy's player recruitment has been justified.

• Options
    mendonca said:
    This pic actually makes me emotional! So many players now just run off on their own when they score. Gilbs thought about a knee slide then chose to go with his heart and mind!

Watson again along side the coaching staff. It’s been mentioned before, but the noise coming out is that he is a great asset around the training ground. If his impact on the pitch has been underwhelming, off it, it feels like it’s perhaps been understated. 
    JJ has mentioned that they are a coach down and it looks like Watson is filling the gap. I wonder if he is doing his badges as well?

Well done Ipswich, I had a good look at them coming off the pitch and it is unusual for a whole team to not need to wash their kit for Saturday. 

Their fans deserve more than that pathetic performance. No effort or commitment. They had a corner and just 1 goal down, the ball was sitting in our six yard box and one of their players walked straight past it. 
    Maybe saving their energy for a performance in front of a new manager. I hope he was watching today because a lot of them won’t be starting anytime soon.

• Options
    Ive tried to get a grasp on what went on and how their fans feel by looking at their forum, but its a total mess. Its like each comment is a new thread. Thank god for Charlton Life.
  • Options
    Let's not go completely overboard, for the most part Ipswich stank, but we can only take on the opposition that turns up.
    We were dominant for probably 80 out of the 98 minutes played.  With any luck at all going our way we'd have poached 3 or 4 more goals, absolutely nothing dropped for us in the box and Walton was excellent.
    Washington deserves an assist for Stocker's opener, he'd done all the hard graft, JS's finish was superb. 
    Gilbey stepped in to break up an Ipswich move, shifted the ball positively and kept moving forward while CW was tormenting the tractor boys, he made the intelligent run to be in the right place to create his chance and took it with class.
    DJ's defensive efforts are laudable indeed, cos it clearly don't come natural to him but he didn't attempt to beat anybody, rarely made himself available despite how poor Ipswich were down their left.  The concensus around us was DJ really didn't fancy it and surprise he was kept on so long.
    Elliott Lee works his nuts off and looks to be very close to being really good.  But his dead balls - the really easy stuff - are pathetic, focus dammit!
    The back 3 all outperformed their talent or experience in their own ways - Famewo takes a lot of risks and is frighteningly close to a howler too often.
    Purington barely needed to be a wing-back at all, and he's turning into a very able attacking threat - he did everything right with his headed chance, props to Walton for charging back across goal to make a block he knew noting about
    George Dobson's rebirth under JJ was surprising enough but he's now adding attacking vision and passes to match, pos contender on this form.
    Back to Washington - he wants to stay, we need him to stay, we need him on all cylinders for the next 25 matches so Thomas, give him a decent extension and make him the equal best paid player on the books, he's critical to the way the whole team plays and is able to play so far up the pitch for so much of the games.  Same as with JJ, hesitation there is stupid.
  • Options
    All were great. 
    Washington a level above. 
    Gilbey looked class. 

Clares distribution a tad sloppy and worrying. Just needs to tidy up. 
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    The match reminded me that I needed to buy some eggs. 

You were shell shocked how well we played 
    After going 1 up ?
    I just thought it was an eggcellent performance by the boys. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No complaints about the ref … I thought he leant towards us and we got most of the 50-50 decisions 
    Homer ref. Cowed by the fans and atmosphere.  :smile:

• Options
    I swear if Trevor two reds Kettle had been in charge, Jason Pearce gets a straight red for his gentle rugby tackle.

Oxymoron alert  :#
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Gilbey's goal even better on second viewing. Fantastic turn inside his man and he had more to do to find the net that it looked from the Curbs stand.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    2121 said:

Clares distribution a tad sloppy and worrying. Just needs to tidy up. 
    I think Clare has been a revelation as a RCB, being both CB and frequently RB as well. He's quick and instinctive.

But ..... It's when he has time on the ball, that he seems to telegraph what he's going to do next, giving the opponent time to read the situation and intercept.

• Options
    Some of our football was top notch.
  • Options
    Apart from the fact that we were fantastic last night, I don't know when I ever saw a team kick the ball into touch even when not under pressure!
  • Options
    Famewo does play on the edge with those runs out of defence, as he never is entirely in control of the ball

Last night it came off, and as a result he went past several players before setting up another attack, but at some point I can see him playing the ball too far ahead of him, then lunging to get it back and catching an opposition player when "out of control", resulting in a red card
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Football fans at their best....

Signings look crap - Focus on Roddy
    Signings look good - Focus on Gallen

Note: Same players being referenced as signings. 
    Next time we go on a losing streak, the Gedspiracies will be back, no doubt.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sammy391 why are you being so negative ?

I thought everyone understood the wing backs role?  Of course when the ball is lost up field Purrington will be out of position. That's why it's important that Dobson covers as well as the LCB.
    Purrington is so good at not getting picked when in an offensive position.

DJ early problem with his leg hampered him but he did well defensively, and Leko did struggle to get to the pace of the game but to say he was disinterested and bored is just wrong. 

Certainly not being negative - I thought we played very very well last night, and to a man were fantastic!

however, it was obvious to see slight chinks in the armour when purrington bombed forward that there was a lot of space exposed behind that was able to be extorted & used by Ipswich - luckily to no effect or due to fantastic tracking back!

Absolutely understand this is part and parcel with the wingback role, but felt purrington (quite a few times) leapt straight into the high press and tackle when no one around him was ready to/ready to cover.
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Look at all the little kids there on a school night!

Love it!

• Options
    Listen again to the Valley roar, when we scored.

That's what we're about!

• Options
    edited December 2021
    It wasn’t long ago that someone commented on here that the Player of the Season selection was going to be difficult as they were all so awful. It’ll still be difficult now, but for completely different reasons. You could make a case for any of these regulars I reckon:

Stockley for the goals
    Pearce After we’d written him off, he’s been great
    Famewo Back to his early form
    Clare Shaky start, but so versatile now
    Lee Makes things happen
    Gilbey Now the player we hoped he might be
    Dobson A midfield destroyer, and he can pass. Just what we’ve needed for ages
    Purrington He’s been very good since JJ, and is a goal threat
    Washington Tireless, and now showing some skills
    Jaiyesimi A crossing machine

I wouldn’t begrudge any of those the award if it was made now. 

And even Gunter and Matthews, who we all seemed to want rid of, have stepped up to the plate under new management. MacGillivray also has done little wrong. 

I just pray that this continues. 
  • Options
    Finding a midfield destroyer with quality and the energy Dobson has is basically like winning the lottery. 
    It's been an area we've just let players run through at will for 2 seasons. 
  • Options
    They are like hen's teeth at the level we are playing.