Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Cambridge United | Saturday 11th December 2021

Comments

• Options
    There's a diference between a good match and a good performance. Yesterday was a good match, probably not so much if you watched it at home but the atmosphere in the ground was great.
    Our last 3 league games showed why it is hard to get out of this division. Shrewsbury frustrated us although we were the better side. Cambridge almost did, and matched us in most departments. We were on fire against Ipswich but on another day could have lost 2 points towards the end without the second goal. 
    Its going to be a tough, uphill struggle to get the necessary 49/50 points needed from 24 games, even tho we have achieved the necessary points per game under JJ so far.

If we strengthen in January that would help. As the impact of Stockley's suspension showed, we are currently weak in reserve, despite having a big squad. You could see that yesterday when the  subs were hardly used.
  • Options
    I'm not sure some of us are being fair to Cambridge. It is absolutely wrong to expect them to lie down. They had a good mix of everything, including the dark arts but not to an extreme extent and good luck to them. I wish them well and they won't be an easy game for our rivals. I was impressed with them. Far better as a team than Ipswich.
    They were better than Ipswich in their movement and passing but far worse with their diving and play-acting. I have no good wishes for them but I do hope they beat any rivals we have for a play-off spot. 
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Lee put in a great shift and not quite getting the final pass or Shot off on a regular basis at the moment.
    Lovely feet late on when he twisted and turned and kept control by the west Stand with defenders close by.

Football is about how good you are, on and off the ball. Under Atkins this season we were poor in both of these disciplines.

JJ records speaks for itselfs, on and off the pitch.
  • Options
    Please please please never get your phone torches out again. Its football not a bloody Steps concert.... 
    Quite right.

As the greatest live performer of all time, Michael Hutchence, used to request before playing 'Never Tear Us Apart' in concert:

'No waving and no cigarette lighters please'
    Don’t Bogart that joint, my friend,
    Pass it over to me!
  • Options
    Please please please never get your phone torches out again. Its football not a bloody Steps concert.... 
    Quite right.

As the greatest live performer of all time, Michael Hutchence, used to request before playing 'Never Tear Us Apart' in concert:

Michael Hutchence of Inxs, or is there another one? I'm sure Mick Jagger, Little Richard, David Bowie, Prince, Michael Jackson, Joe Stummer, Jimmy Pursey, Frank Tovey, Frank Sidebottham, Arthur Mullard, Hylda Baker, Ron Geremi, The Kraftwork Robots and The ABBA Holograms would all have something to say about that little claim. As would hundreds, maybe thousands, of others. The best you can say for Hutchence is that his back catalogue of ex-girlfriends doesn't look too shabby.
  • Options
    MattF said:

Shame about the Manager!
  • Options
    Good and accurate concise football report @Blucher
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stig said:
    Quite right.

Michael Hutchence of Inxs, or is there another one? I'm sure Mick Jagger, Little Richard, David Bowie, Prince, Michael Jackson, Joe Stummer, Jimmy Pursey, Frank Tovey, Frank Sidebottham, Arthur Mullard, Hylda Baker, Ron Geremi, The Kraftwork Robots and The ABBA Holograms would all have something to say about that little claim. As would hundreds, maybe thousands, of others. The best you can say for Hutchence is that his back catalogue of ex-girlfriends doesn't look too shabby.
    I know that this is going rather off topic @Stig but out of curiosity I looked this up. I saw INXS live twice and Hutchence was the greatest for me. I think that Prince and Michael Jackson are fair shouts bearing in mind I said 'performer' not solely 'singer' or 'vocalist'
    Michael Hutchence comes 'only' 36th in this list but what they say backs up my claim somewhat:
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.udiscovermusic.com/stories/best-male-rock-singers-legendary-vocalists/amp/

Anyway, back on thread: my point was that he was perhaps the only one to ask the audience not to add lighting effects. Why? Because the lights should show the performance on stage which was all that counts, and in football the lights should be focused on the pitch.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Their physio ran on the pitch 3 times then diverted his path to just running off the pitch. I'd say that's clear as day that their player's stayed on the floor as long as possible while we were on top - without even a scratch.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Strange how many people are slamming Cambridge for their antics.

Must have missed Famewo diving onto the floor and staying down after being pushed by Smith. And Pearce coming along and pretending to treat him for cramp. Or Pearce delaying our goal kick by going to have a word with McGillvaray as he was about to take a goal kick. Or Stockley standing in front of their free kick and pointing aimlessly into the other direction as if he was oblivious to it to delay them.

Pearce and Stockley are some of the biggest shithouses in the league, so let's not pretend Cambridge are any worse than us. We're pretty good at the dark arts ourselves.
    Does the red in your username stand for Arsenal Liverpool or united!!!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Strange how many people are slamming Cambridge for their antics.

Must have missed Famewo diving onto the floor and staying down after being pushed by Smith. And Pearce coming along and pretending to treat him for cramp. Or Pearce delaying our goal kick by going to have a word with McGillvaray as he was about to take a goal kick. Or Stockley standing in front of their free kick and pointing aimlessly into the other direction as if he was oblivious to it to delay them.

Pearce and Stockley are some of the biggest shithouses in the league, so let's not pretend Cambridge are any worse than us. We're pretty good at the dark arts ourselves.
    I don't like us criticising them. They haven't done anything we haven't done at some point.  Football is dishonest in some aspects and there is a point that can be pushed and is pushed by every team. If we want to return to Corinthian Casuals, make every team play that way. Cambridge shouldn't let us walk over them, and there is a ref on the pitch to stop them taking it too far. And they didn't. 

They lost though so why can't we just wish them well with a bit of respect for giving us a tough game and carry on beating teams.
  • Options
    Teams are starting to work out our defensive structure and we have to be very careful about that, watch the highlights and you will see how Cambridge clearly sent runners in behind our wing backs, taking advantage of the space in behind.

They were very unlucky not to equalise in that second half, only some great keeping from MacGillvray stopped them.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    I think you can't go toe to toe with us. Teams have worked that out but the bigger teams will probably still try. With Stockley and Washington it is harder for the smaller teams to achieve stifling us too. That is why keeping key players fit is going to be a big element of our season. We can't really replace Stockley and we can't play too many games with one recognised centre half. Who can do Dobson's job? And who can bring the running that our three midfielders do? 

You can get away with it for the odd game but it is the big question mark we have hanging over us for the remainder of the season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stig said:
    Quite right.

I know that this is going rather off topic @Stig but out of curiosity I looked this up. I saw INXS live twice and Hutchence was the greatest for me. I think that Prince and Michael Jackson are fair shouts bearing in mind I said 'performer' not solely 'singer' or 'vocalist'
    Michael Hutchence comes 'only' 36th in this list but what they say backs up my claim somewhat:
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.udiscovermusic.com/stories/best-male-rock-singers-legendary-vocalists/amp/
    But did you ever see Captain Beefheart, Johnny Rotten, Iggy Pop or Joe Strummer live?
  • Options
    Scrappy in places, typical L1 game. Ref all over the place and the East Stand Lino was Kettle in disguise!
    Cambridge finishing was woeful, and MacG kept us in it.
    All that said to grind out a win is what it takes to move up the league.

To the free-loaders, take your seats a 2.50pm NOT 3.05, and start f"'king about looking at seat numbers with hot dogs chips and a coffee in your hands. Don't bring kids who are bored stiff after 15mins, and too the large lady in the green anorak in B block row E try on to drop your guts every 5 mins! YOU STUNK!

PS TOMMY GIVE JACKO THE JOB!!!!!
    I remember saying to my mate just before conor banged in his 2nd that its not over till the fat lady stinks
  • Options

We all agree
    Charlie is better than Yashin
    Saunders is better than Eusebio
    And we're gonna give you a thrashin'/And xxxx xxxx are in for a thrashin'

The song first appeared after WC66, hence the reference to two of the foreign stars of that tournament.

Ron also had his own song, the tune being the intro to My Old Man's a Dustman
    Now here's a little story
    To tell it is a must
    About an unsung hero
    Who scores his goals with lust.

Some people talk of Gilzean
    Others talk of Law
    Our old Ron don't earn much
    All he does is score.

Saunders is the king, Saunders is the king
    E i addio, Saunders is the king

Charlie's own song was to the tune of Silent Night
    Charlie Wright
    Charlie Wright
    Plays it cool, plays it right
    Forwards' hopes he's always dashin'
    While we've got Charlie you can stick your Yashin
    Well done Charlie Wright
    Good old Charlie Wright.

Yes initially I thought it was Saunders but wasn't 100%. Matt Tees  was the cover version.

Saunders is the king I remember well but not the intro (although a song that mentions Gilzean does ring a bell) & don't remember the Charlie Wright song at all. Was that something you made up in the pub but it never got sung in the ground apart from by you & your fellow songwriters ?  :D
    Happy days
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    pickwick said:
    We need to be gracious in being a bigger club with a better stadium.  Cambridge are up to nearly their highest level the last time we played was at West Ham.  Lets not be arrogant.  Different paths have been takne since then.

No way , how comes they aren’t playing like Brazil 1970 with their very much comparable budget …or why didn’t they just come here and try and play our game and open up a bit and lay down and die for us .
  • Options
    I well recall the Cambridge side we played at Upton Park. 

In fact it was the only time I've ever stayed behind after a match with the express wish to boo the opposition.  If that brand of football was ever allowed to succeed, then quite simply there would be no football. 

I sensed something was up during the warm up. Half their squad stood on one side line and the other half on the opposite side.  They then began to lob 40 yard airborne passes at each other.   At the KO they had about 5 players out wide on the left and the centre forward lobbed the ball, rugby style in their general direction, meanwhile the five attackers set off in a re-enactment of the charge of the light brigade.

The game proceeded with them looking to win and gain advantage from every dead ball situation, be that free kick, throw on, corner or penalty.  Their aim was to get the ball in the penalty area by what ever means, this inevitably led to an aerial bombardment.  Their players were tall and athletic, their football mean and ugly.     

Thankfully their football on Saturday bore no relation to that - apart maybe from their desire for free kicks - rolling around holding their faces.  Whilst I appreciate the requirement for 'game management' I find the need to feign injury in an attempt to have a fellow pro sent off abhorrent.

That style was obscene but it was defeated by football. Basically, it got found out and Cambridge went from nearly getting promoted to getting relegated the next season. That is how it has to be beaten. But you are right, it is wrong to even compare Cambridge on Saturday with that side. They had a mix of everything apart from a cutting edge. They were not a revelation but impressed me and on another day could have got a draw.

Saying they had three good chances and could have won is ridiculous. We had a few opportunities too but the difference between the sides was we were a bit sharper where it mattered.
  • Options
    Like you Raith, that game at Upton park is one of the few games there, that is still clear in my mind. The Rugby style Kick off was a sign of what was to come. 
    John Beck had success with this system and it took them so close to top level football; the irony that many years later, Beck was a coach at the FA, being a tutor for Uefa B licences ! You really couldn't make it up.

Dion Dublin was the small guy up front ?
    No, I kid you not as the guy next to him was 6ft 5in. Wimbledon and Watford were Man city in comparison to the way John Beck's team were set up and played. I believe it was Andy Peake who kept looking at the bench as the ball continued to fly over his head. 

The Cambridge team on Saturday, mix and match with good crisp passing on the deck, some good/bad old battles with our CB, (I saw the Pearce incident clearly and my first reaction was red card) and fortunately for us left their shooting boots behind after smashing in 5 a few days before.
  • Options
    The irony was that Beck was actually a talented player. Having said that, they weren't breaking any rules and it had to be defeated by football, which it was. You could say, and I would, that even that team were entitled to try and beat bigger sides as long as they were not cheating. It was good for football that they didn't succeed but it would be bad for football if teams were forced to know their place too.