Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Cambridge United | Saturday 11th December 2021

Comments

• Options
    Nice one Pearcy. To have been put in the same bracket by NA (surprisingly for a motivator) as Gunter, Watson, Pratley (to lesser extent) must have hurt. 

That middle spot is for Pearce/Innis/Lavelle, with mobile defenders on the left and right. Not sure I've seen enough in Lavelle's ball playing to feel he's comfortable on the right. 
  • Options
    Cambridge's number 7 was a very tidy little player
  • Options
    Cambridge's number 7 was a very tidy little player

I picked him out early in the game. James Brophy who was good on the ball and looked like the type of player that I believed Charlie Kirk was after hearing reviews from CL members and reading the Crewe fan's report. 

A west London lad who is now 27 is Brophy.
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    Slightly concerning that we struggle to maintain the same level of energy when we have a midweek game as well, as over Christmas and NY the games come thick and fast. Jacko will need to find ways of rotating the side and using the backup players without losing the momentum
  • Options
    I well recall the Cambridge side we played at Upton Park. 

In fact it was the only time I've ever stayed behind after a match with the express wish to boo the opposition.  If that brand of football was ever allowed to succeed, then quite simply there would be no football. 

I sensed something was up during the warm up. Half their squad stood on one side line and the other half on the opposite side.  They then began to lob 40 yard airborne passes at each other.   At the KO they had about 5 players out wide on the left and the centre forward lobbed the ball, rugby style in their general direction, meanwhile the five attackers set off in a re-enactment of the charge of the light brigade.

The game proceeded with them looking to win and gain advantage from every dead ball situation, be that free kick, throw on, corner or penalty.  Their aim was to get the ball in the penalty area by what ever means, this inevitably led to an aerial bombardment.  Their players were tall and athletic, their football mean and ugly.     

Thankfully their football on Saturday bore no relation to that - apart maybe from their desire for free kicks - rolling around holding their faces.  Whilst I appreciate the requirement for 'game management' I find the need to feign injury in an attempt to have a fellow pro sent off abhorrent.

That style was obscene but it was defeated by football. Basically, it got found out and Cambridge went from nearly getting promoted to getting relegated the next season. That is how it has to be beaten. But you are right, it is wrong to even compare Cambridge on Saturday with that side. They had a mix of everything apart from a cutting edge. They were not a revelation but impressed me and on another day could have got a draw.

Saying they had three good chances and could have won is ridiculous. We had a few opportunities too but the difference between the sides was we were a bit sharper where it mattered.
    It took a long time for them to get found out. That 'system' was good enough for them to get two successive promotions, they then hung around in (the old) Division 2 for long enough for a superficial reading of their stats to look like they'd got a third promotion. The hadn't, but the division was rebranded Division 1 following the foundation of the Prem. They weren't relegated until 1995.
  • Options

In fact it was the only time I've ever stayed behind after a match with the express wish to boo the opposition.  If that brand of football was ever allowed to succeed, then quite simply there would be no football. 

I sensed something was up during the warm up. Half their squad stood on one side line and the other half on the opposite side.  They then began to lob 40 yard airborne passes at each other.   At the KO they had about 5 players out wide on the left and the centre forward lobbed the ball, rugby style in their general direction, meanwhile the five attackers set off in a re-enactment of the charge of the light brigade.

The game proceeded with them looking to win and gain advantage from every dead ball situation, be that free kick, throw on, corner or penalty.  Their aim was to get the ball in the penalty area by what ever means, this inevitably led to an aerial bombardment.  Their players were tall and athletic, their football mean and ugly.     

Thankfully their football on Saturday bore no relation to that - apart maybe from their desire for free kicks - rolling around holding their faces.  Whilst I appreciate the requirement for 'game management' I find the need to feign injury in an attempt to have a fellow pro sent off abhorrent.

That style was obscene but it was defeated by football. Basically, it got found out and Cambridge went from nearly getting promoted to getting relegated the next season. That is how it has to be beaten. But you are right, it is wrong to even compare Cambridge on Saturday with that side. They had a mix of everything apart from a cutting edge. They were not a revelation but impressed me and on another day could have got a draw.

Saying they had three good chances and could have won is ridiculous. We had a few opportunities too but the difference between the sides was we were a bit sharper where it mattered.
    Cambridge's slump was because their better players got fed up with the John Beck system, and the completely rigid way of playing, and that summer Dublin and Claridge moved on. Claridge had been subbed after 22 minutes in a game for disobeying these orders for example!

His book is really interesting on this period, as Cambridge had some really good players in this period, not allowed to play. They could have been a decent 2nd tier team, even without the hoofball.
  • Options
    Did Purrington have a knock when he went off?
  • Options
    I remember that Upton Park game well. Get the ball upfield with a big boot, chase it down and immediately sling in a cross. It worked for a while, and having Dion Dublin was a help.
    Cambridge United under John Beck used to let the grass in the corner areas of the Abbey Stadium grow longer than the rest of the pitch in order to put the brakes on the many long balls played.
    There is also film somewhere of one of his training/management methods where buckets of ice cold water were chucked over Phil Chappell, later of this parish.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2021
    Did Purrington have a knock when he went off?

Dead leg
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Cameo from @cafc999 and his lad Jay again! 
  • Options
    MattF said:

You'd have to feel sorry for that side: the pre-match managerial address starting on Wednesday afternoon for a Saturday match, half-time extended to 4 1/2 hours to allow for second half instructions, and the post-match interview not finishing until Monday.
    At least things wouldn't be interrupted by going for a walk.
  • Options
    Stig said:

It took a long time for them to get found out. That 'system' was good enough for them to get two successive promotions, they then hung around in (the old) Division 2 for long enough for a superficial reading of their stats to look like they'd got a third promotion. The hadn't, but the division was rebranded Division 1 following the foundation of the Prem. They weren't relegated until 1995.
    They were relegated in 1993. It couldn't have been 1995 as they'd have played at the Valley in those years but apparently Saturday was their first visit in nigh on 40 years.
  • Options
    Stig said:

They were relegated in 1993. It couldn't have been 1995 as they'd have played at the Valley in those years but apparently Saturday was their first visit in nigh on 40 years.
    You're quite right. '95 was their next relegation. I just fell foul of the very league renaming that I'd been laking about!
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    I'm the good looking one on the right.
  • Options
    Please please please never get your phone torches out again. Its football not a bloody Steps concert.... 
    Well I'm going to start it off at Argyle. This would be something to stand us apart from other clubs. 
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    SE7toSG3 said:
    ross1 said:
    Cameo from @cafc999 and his lad Jay again! 
    @SE7toSG3
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stig said:
    Stig said:

You're quite right. '95 was their next relegation. I just fell foul of the very league renaming that I'd been laking about!
    I was confused as I always had it in my mind they got relegated the next season.
  • Options
    No doubt that JJ should now be manager. 
  • Options
    It was not Saunders…not Matt Tees. It was Harry Gregory ( I think!)
  • Options

• Options
    ross1 said:
    What a gift Charlton TV is....I love listening to these former players. Stuart was a good player....not the most gifted player but had a nose for goal and technically very good. Would love to see Derek Hales as a guest....has he ever been on ? 
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    ross1 said:
    What a gift Charlton TV is....I love listening to these former players. Stuart was a good player....not the most gifted player but had a nose for goal and technically very good. Would love to see Derek Hales as a guest....has he ever been on ? 
    Would love that … memory lane would take up the entire programme  :D
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    ct_addick said:
    ross1 said:
    My all time, no one else gets near, no contest Charlton legend.  Stock the bar!
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    ct_addick said:
    ross1 said:
    My all time, no one else gets near, no contest Charlton legend.  Stock the bar!
    No need, he recycles it!! Yup really.