Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Only - January 2022 Transfer Rumours (Deadline Day p.97)

Comments

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Lee has energy, is combative and has passing range. Who's to say he can't play DM if he retrains for it? 
    Wait, so you couldn't wait to bin off Darren Pratley and now you're suggesting we should protect our defence with ..Elliot Lee
    Well, obviously Dobson, he's our best player. But if he's got a knock...
  • Options
    Maybe we should re-train Dobbo as a winger.
    He's already got the Lenny Glover hunched shoulders, he's halfway there already.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    The positive I take from the graphic on the previous page is that we probably only now need half a dozen or less players mixed in to what we already have. Sprinkle in a quality loan or two (picking the best available to us rather than having to use them as necessity to make up the numbers) and we'll be well on our way.

Getting the likes of Watson, Gunter and Matthews off the books to be replaced by hungry and energetic young players should surely be the aim of the summer window.
  • Options
    AddickRam said:
    With TS talking about the possibility of bringing in a free agent striker, what do our squad numbers look like now?

Where would Marcus Browne have sat?
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Lee has energy, is combative and has passing range. Who's to say he can't play DM if he retrains for it? 
    Oh mate.... head...wobble....rinse....repeat...
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Ahhh I get it now, you only watch football off your tits on acid.
    I think we should all try it, would have made the last decade less angst ridden.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Wait, so you couldn't wait to bin off Darren Pratley and now you're suggesting we should protect our defence with ..Elliot Lee
    Nobody would have thought Rob Lee could be a Prem-class DM when he was flying down the wing for us, but that's what he was for about 5 seasons at Newcastle
    I always thought Rob Lee had more of an attacking role in Newcastle’s midfield, given all the goals he got.  They had David Batty from 1995 onwards, and before that Paul Bracewell playing in that role.  

I could be wrong, but I thought they just put him in the middle and he mastered the art of late runs, a bit like Frank Lampard 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The positive I take from the graphic on the previous page is that we probably only now need half a dozen or less players mixed in to what we already have. Sprinkle in a quality loan or two (picking the best available to us rather than having to use them as necessity to make up the numbers) and we'll be well on our way.

Getting the likes of Watson, Gunter and Matthews off the books to be replaced by hungry and energetic young players should surely be the aim of the summer window.
    I think there is a question of how many of the out of contract players you renew and when you do it.  Last season we had about 6 players in June that the club didn't know if they were staying or going.  That's not good.

If you work on the basis that the squad (only talking out field players) is the right size +/-1.  So it's 1 in 1 out.

Watson, Souare and Gunter won't get new contracts (as players) and we have got 6 loans.   Do you want to be looking at more than 9 new players? 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

I think there is a question of how many of the out of contract players you renew and when you do it.  Last season we had about 6 players in June that the club didn't know if they were staying or going.  That's not good.

If you work on the basis that the squad (only talking out field players) is the right size +/-1.  So it's 1 in 1 out.

Watson, Souare and Gunter won't get new contracts (as players) and we have got 6 loans.   Do you want to be looking at more than 9 new players? 

With all the talk coming out of the recruitment and Sandy in regards to not needing that massive rebuild in the summer, I'm assuming Matthews, Inniss, Purrington and Washington will be offered contracts with the club expecting them to sign on again*

Which would leave, what, 1st choice LCB, LWB, RWB Dobson cover and a forward as a a necessity.  Add a proper out and out 10 in and another CB if we can. Not many positions to fill, couple frees, couple loans, couple fee paid. 

We'll finally be able to do last summer's pushing on recruitment this year! 

*Aaaaaand now they'll all go and be championship back ups.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

With all the talk coming out of the recruitment and Sandy in regards to not needing that massive rebuild in the summer, I'm assuming Matthews, Inniss, Purrington and Washington will be offered contracts with the club expecting them to sign on again*

Which would leave, what, 1st choice LCB, LWB, RWB Dobson cover and a forward as a a necessity.  Add a proper out and out 10 in and another CB if we can. Not many positions to fill, couple frees, couple loans, couple fee paid. 

We'll finally be able to do last summer's pushing on recruitment this year! 

*Aaaaaand now they'll all go and be championship back ups.
    Agree, Pearce has to have a question mark with the squad cap in place.

They need to get these done before April, barring a miracle or a catastrophic run in we already know what division we are in next season, so that excuse won't cut it.  I would even look at extending Dobson, Clare, Gilbey and MacGillivray as well now.

You get to a stage when you have a core of 15 odd players with 2 years plus your in a totally different place.  Assuming the players are good enough that is. 
  • Options
    Dobson and Clare in particular need extending, their contracts (2 year deals to 2023) seem like outliers when Chuks and Fraser are contracted to 2025

Gilbey and MacG (and indeed Morgan) are less urgent, they need to earn a contract extension.

Of the ones expiring this summer, I'm not bothered either way about Matthews, Purrington and Washington. Both will do a job in L1, but both are replaceable. With Pearce, I imagine it depends on how much they see him playing next season, and whether we can afford the squad place for a player/coach
  • Options
    Matthews has such good delivery he just sits so so deep for a wingback
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Nobody would have thought Rob Lee could be a Prem-class DM when he was flying down the wing for us, but that's what he was for about 5 seasons at Newcastle
    I always thought Rob Lee had more of an attacking role in Newcastle’s midfield, given all the goals he got.  They had David Batty from 1995 onwards, and before that Paul Bracewell playing in that role.  

I could be wrong, but I thought they just put him in the middle and he mastered the art of late runs, a bit like Frank Lampard 
    Look at his career stats for 'goals'. Note how until 1997/98 he scores a few every season. Then basically none afterwards (the only league goal for Newcastle after that was Barthez embarrassingly letting a long-shot squirm through him)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Lee#Career_statistics

This is because, from 1998/99 onwards, for Newcastle, Derby and a couple of others, he played as a defensive centre mid. Batty had gone to Leeds, incidentally.
  • Options
    BREAKING: Leuth talking nonsense again.
    …more to follow soon
    Presumably the same was spoken way back in the early days of the internet to whoever said that Mark Hughes might make a decent defensive midfielder. Or Jason Euell.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    BREAKING: Leuth talking nonsense again.
    …more to follow soon
    Presumably the same was spoken way back in the early days of the internet to whoever said that Mark Hughes might make a decent defensive midfielder. Or Jason Euell.
    Or Ben Watson... 
  • Options
    Watson was always a CM. Much less of a leap
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anyway, for all that I'm on acid or an idiot or whatever, none of you have provided actual reasons for why Lee's skillset or physical abilities disbar him from being capable of playing a DM role. He's not exactly averse to putting in a challenge, is he? I'm not remotely saying he's as good as Dobson, but would you rather him or Watson in there?
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sport/football/fa_carling_premiership/451554.stm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQTjhQ0X5R8

Here's a sample Newcastle game from the later Lee era, with Lee clearly playing as the CM (with all the attendant defensive responsibilities - yes, three in the middle was best left to the Makeleles and the best teams in those days). Gary Speed who started as a winger also playing in the middle. No, I will not let this go
  • Options
    Dobson and Clare in particular need extending, their contracts (2 year deals to 2023) seem like outliers when Chuks and Fraser are contracted to 2025

Gilbey and MacG (and indeed Morgan) are less urgent, they need to earn a contract extension.

Of the ones expiring this summer, I'm not bothered either way about Matthews, Purrington and Washington. Both will do a job in L1, but both are replaceable. With Pearce, I imagine it depends on how much they see him playing next season, and whether we can afford the squad place for a player/coach
    With Washington IMO it's a case of can you realistically get two strikers better than him? 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

With Washington IMO it's a case of can you realistically get two strikers better than him? 
    Assuming we'll be in L1 next season, I can see us wanting him for another year as he seems a decent guy to have around the place, but he'll want a longer deal
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Assuming we'll be in L1 next season, I can see us wanting him for another year as he seems a decent guy to have around the place, but he'll want a longer deal
    I think that’s what it’ll come down to. I’ll be concerned if Washington signs a 3 or 4 year deal. If he stays it’s got to be 1 or 2 at most.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Here's a sample Newcastle game from the later Lee era, with Lee clearly playing as the CM (with all the attendant defensive responsibilities - yes, three in the middle was best left to the Makeleles and the best teams in those days). Gary Speed who started as a winger also playing in the middle. No, I will not let this go
    You do realise that Robert Lee and Elliot Lee are different people? 
  • Options
    Leuth said:

You do realise that Robert Lee and Elliot Lee are different people? 
    Yeah, but there's bound to be some sort of influence. It's a very convenient case study
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

I think that’s what it’ll come down to. I’ll be concerned if Washington signs a 3 or 4 year deal. If he stays it’s got to be 1 or 2 at most.
    I don't think 2 years would be a problem for most of them tbh.  If you first team is good enough to get promoted your would think most of them could step up. 

You will already have to replace any loans and a couple that fall out the bottom, for want of a better expression.

Even this season the players we retained aren't in all honesty the problem. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

I don't think 2 years would be a problem for most of them tbh.  If you first team is good enough to get promoted your would think most of them could step up. 

You will already have to replace any loans and a couple that fall out the bottom, for want of a better expression.

Even this season the players we retained aren't in all honesty the problem. 
    You wouldn’t want to keep Matthews, Gunter, Watson etc though would you?