Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Only - January 2022 Transfer Rumours (Deadline Day p.97)

Comments

• Options
    We need to get better than Matthews in. He was the cause of many goals earlier in the season and never seemed to learn for the next game. We shouldn't keep him because he had a good season in the Championship.
  • Options
    Deji could not play CDM from what I've seen. Need him to push on a bit too as confidence seems to have dropped of late.

• Options
    Not a rumour, just a suggestion… Was looking through the free agent list and one name popped up which I feel we could go in for to strengthen up the defence for the rest of the season and that is Winston Reid… ex West Ham, What do you lifers reckon? 
  • Options
    I thought Nile John was more for the Gilbey type role?
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Elewere at cdm is a terrible shout - i'm fairly certain that nile john is cover for dobson 
    My thinking was him being trained in that position overtime, not thrown in. He can pass, he can defend so learning that role at a young age now would be a benefit.
  • Options
    Not a rumour, just a suggestion… Was looking through the free agent list and one name popped up which I feel we could go in for to strengthen up the defence for the rest of the season and that is Winston Reid… ex West Ham, What do you lifers reckon? 
    Well is is he ‘Danish’ and would provide strong leadership. He was back playing for NZ recently I think so seems to have recovered from the significant injury he had a couple of years or so ago.
  • Options
    Oh yeah, we definitely need another centre-back. Fucksake 
  • Options
    Yeah but then we could play Inniss as a striker …
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    'maybe Lee could play DM' and 'INNISS UP FRONT' just aren't the same. It's about attributes. Loads of love for Inniss but his touch, movement and finishing isn't that of a striker
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anyway you all joke but remember Ulvestad at centre-back looking like he'd played there his whole career? Players can have attributes that suit different roles. We've seen it with Clare especially this season
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Anyway you all joke but remember Ulvestad at centre-back looking like he'd played there his whole career? Players can have attributes that suit different roles. We've seen it with Clare especially this season
    Looking like he'd played there *not all that well* his whole career.
    I remember Ulvestad as part of the worst midfield in Charlton history (with Crofts and Foley). He was the best of the theee, admittedly. Possibly improved in defence, but wasn’t very strong, iirc. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Leuth said:
    I remember Ulvestad as part of the worst midfield in Charlton history (with Crofts and Foley). He was the best of the theee, admittedly. Possibly improved in defence, but wasn’t very strong, iirc. 
    This was his game in defence. You yourself comment on it! 

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/77191/statbank-charlton-1-1-walsall
  • Options
    edited February 2022
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Leuth said:

For some reason my brain has completely blanked out these players, its either senility kicking in or the brain protecting me from grief and distress.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Leuth said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Leuth said:

Oh wow, top research Leuth. Was that his only game in defence? Seems odd they never tried him again there, if so. 
    There are some seriously low average team scores on that table. Threes and fours. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Leuth said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Leuth said:

Oh wow, top research Leuth. Was that his only game in defence? Seems odd if so. 
    Sarr left on loan but we had Teixeira and Konsa aswell as the legend that is Roger Johnson. Surely the best set of CB's in the division?
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dobson and Clare in particular need extending, their contracts (2 year deals to 2023) seem like outliers when Chuks and Fraser are contracted to 2025

Gilbey and MacG (and indeed Morgan) are less urgent, they need to earn a contract extension.

Of the ones expiring this summer, I'm not bothered either way about Matthews, Purrington and Washington. Both will do a job in L1, but both are replaceable. With Pearce, I imagine it depends on how much they see him playing next season, and whether we can afford the squad place for a player/coach
    With Washington IMO it's a case of can you realistically get two strikers better than him? 
    Assuming we'll be in L1 next season, I can see us wanting him for another year as he seems a decent guy to have around the place, but he'll want a longer deal
    I think that’s what it’ll come down to. I’ll be concerned if Washington signs a 3 or 4 year deal. If he stays it’s got to be 1 or 2 at most.
    I don't think 2 years would be a problem for most of them tbh.  If you first team is good enough to get promoted your would think most of them could step up. 

You will already have to replace any loans and a couple that fall out the bottom, for want of a better expression.

Even this season the players we retained aren't in all honesty the problem. 
    You wouldn’t want to keep Matthews, Gunter, Watson etc though would you?
    Matthews can be a good player for us. 
    Can but doesn’t do it often enough. I’d rather bring in a player we can be more certain about, especially as we don’t have a natural right wing back - everyone who plays there is more comfortable as a full back or winger.
    Matthews doesn't give two shits about this club. He only performs as his contract runs down. 

He's only second to Taylor in recent players I initially liked so much to only despise. He's clearly a good footballer, but puts in little to no effort.
    One of those players that seems to have his fans no matter what he does. Surely his time is up, now. 
    Very good in the championship.  Very shit under Bowyer in league 1.  Very good as soon as Bowyer went.  New season total dog shit, never looked like he had played at right back before in his life.  Dropped.

Recalled by Jackson, in the four games he has played for Jackson he has gone from getting rave reviews at Sunderland then dogs abuse after Hartlepools to being half decent at Pompey.

Jackson will know why, well I would like to think so, if that "problem", what ever it is, isn't going to resurface having a player that can do a job in 3 or 4 positions RB, RCB, RWL, LB is good as back up.  No problem being a 3rd choice option in 2 or 3 of those positions.

I will be intrested in how often him and Purrington play as wing backs for the rest of the season now we have a few more options. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Leuth said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Leuth said:

Oh wow, top research Leuth. Was that his only game in defence? Seems odd they never tried him again there, if so. 
    There are some seriously low average team scores on that table. Threes and fours. 
    Fox averaging 2.33 in a defeat to Millwall is the most CL thing that has ever happened
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I agree we definitely need a first choice right wing back with pace, but keeping Matthews as backup wouldn't be the worst idea, given that in emergencies he could also cover the right side of a back 3 and in desperate cases, also at left back.

With the squad limit reducing it's not a terrible idea to have a couple of utility players. But 100% he shouldn't be starting many games next season, and if he isn't happy with that then he can leave.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    I wouldn’t be confident if we ended up playing Leko up top for a significant period of time. Got to hope Washington, Burstow and Aneke stay fit for the remaining part of the season. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    JamesSeed said:
    Leuth said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Leuth said:

Ulvestad went on to have a very good stint in Sweden with Djurgardens. Won the league, played in the Europa League and got Norway caps.

Then he got a big money move to China. Only played half a dozen times before leaving. Now he’s in Turkey with Sivasspor, mainly keeping the bench warm when he’s not injured.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dobson and Clare in particular need extending, their contracts (2 year deals to 2023) seem like outliers when Chuks and Fraser are contracted to 2025

Gilbey and MacG (and indeed Morgan) are less urgent, they need to earn a contract extension.

Of the ones expiring this summer, I'm not bothered either way about Matthews, Purrington and Washington. Both will do a job in L1, but both are replaceable. With Pearce, I imagine it depends on how much they see him playing next season, and whether we can afford the squad place for a player/coach
    With Washington IMO it's a case of can you realistically get two strikers better than him? 
    Assuming we'll be in L1 next season, I can see us wanting him for another year as he seems a decent guy to have around the place, but he'll want a longer deal
    I think that’s what it’ll come down to. I’ll be concerned if Washington signs a 3 or 4 year deal. If he stays it’s got to be 1 or 2 at most.
    I don't think 2 years would be a problem for most of them tbh.  If you first team is good enough to get promoted your would think most of them could step up. 

You will already have to replace any loans and a couple that fall out the bottom, for want of a better expression.

Even this season the players we retained aren't in all honesty the problem. 
    You wouldn’t want to keep Matthews, Gunter, Watson etc though would you?
    Matthews can be a good player for us. 
    And there are times when he is. Like last Monday at Pompey.

• Options
    Won’t be converting any loans into permanents so one of the six will have to miss out on the match day squad.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-boss-facing-juggling-act-with-loanees-following-chelsea-deal/
  • Options
    In fairness i'd be surprised if all 6 are all fit at the same time.

But if all are fit right now then you'd expect Castillo, Famewo, Lee and Burstow to be in the squad. So then it's a choice between John and Leko i think. But if we have Aneke, Stockley and Washington available then possibly Burstow.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Won’t be converting any loans into permanents so one of the six will have to miss out on the match day squad.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-boss-facing-juggling-act-with-loanees-following-chelsea-deal/
    Doesn't look too hard. Leko or Burstow. John or Lee. Both are basically there for the same position, as I assume Leko won't be getting the RWB berth back any time soon. 
  • Options

But if all are fit right now then you'd expect Castillo, Famewo, Lee and Burstow to be in the squad. So then it's a choice between John and Leko i think. But if we have Aneke, Stockley and Washington available then possibly Burstow.
    I think it depends what the future plans are.  Do we want to keep Lee next season?  It's not a good look to then not have him in the match day squad.   

You could actually say the same about all of them.... 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

I think it depends what the future plans are.  Do we want to keep Lee next season?  It's not a good look to then not have him in the match day squad.   

You could actually say the same about all of them.... 
    And this is the difference between now and the last few years. Our permanent players are now forming the backbone of the key players in the team. Famewo aside, perhaps, the rest are arguably not in our first XI (although I couldn't tell you who our first choice LWB is currently, so could be Castillo!). We've a long way to go, but it's got the look of the start of a squad we can connect with again... finally.