Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Only - January 2022 Transfer Rumours (Deadline Day p.97)

Comments

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    JJ
    “It’s Wednesday night and I can’t see anything happening before the weekend. We’ve highlighted targets and we’re working on them. I think we need a little bit of help. A little bit of a freshen up could give us fresh impetus for the last push of the season. But no real updates yet.”

This is just silly isn’t it, the targets should have been identified and dealt with early, I can’t see the point if our promotion push is over.  Be different if we were 6 points off it because no matter what by the end of the window we’d still have a shot. 
    He is starting to speak like Bowyer. 
    What does that even mean? 
  • Options
    reposted .. 

It's worth saying again .. for a talented young player on average to good L1 wages, a move to the London area is often not viable. He might be living in a £200,000 house in a northern/midlands town or city with his family. Little traffic, good schools, easy travel to and from the training ground. Then, he signs for Charlton, sells the nice house and for the price he gets, he can buy a leasehold one bedroom flat above a chip shop in Penge with no parking space for his nice motor and no space for the wife and saucepan lids (if he has either)

THIS i m o is the biggest recruitment problem we have, the cost of living in London, as I say, for a footballer earning good money, but a salary that gives him an inferior standard of living to what he might enjoy well outside the M25
    I agree to an extent but there is loads of property in Kent (Maidstone way) that is much better value for money but still close enough to London and its environs.

I am not convinced players think about these kinds of things too much
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    JJ
    “It’s Wednesday night and I can’t see anything happening before the weekend. We’ve highlighted targets and we’re working on them. I think we need a little bit of help. A little bit of a freshen up could give us fresh impetus for the last push of the season. But no real updates yet.”

This is just silly isn’t it, the targets should have been identified and dealt with early, I can’t see the point if our promotion push is over.  Be different if we were 6 points off it because no matter what by the end of the window we’d still have a shot. 
    He is starting to speak like Bowyer. 
    What does that even mean? 
    There's a bit missing from the above quote where Jacko says we need a couple of fresh bodies to make us betterer. 
  • Options
    This should be the shortest thread on here but it is filled with angst and wishlists, nearly halfway through the month and we have had the merest whiff of a few rumours.
  • Options
    reposted .. 

It's worth saying again .. for a talented young player on average to good L1 wages, a move to the London area is often not viable. He might be living in a £200,000 house in a northern/midlands town or city with his family. Little traffic, good schools, easy travel to and from the training ground. Then, he signs for Charlton, sells the nice house and for the price he gets, he can buy a leasehold one bedroom flat above a chip shop in Penge with no parking space for his nice motor and no space for the wife and saucepan lids (if he has either)

THIS i m o is the biggest recruitment problem we have, the cost of living in London, as I say, for a footballer earning good money, but a salary that gives him an inferior standard of living to what he might enjoy well outside the M25
    Depends how young you're talking.

A talented player aged 20-25 isn't going to give a shit about traffic, travel, good schools etc, he'll probably be more concerned about bars and clubs.

Ultimately though it almost always comes down to money. If the player is at a smaller league 1 club or in league 2, then he'll jump at the chance to earn an extra 2-3k a week, no matter where he currently lives.
  • Options
    Connor Wickham released by PNE - could be nice cover for Stockley on a deal until the end of the season. 
    Keeping him remotely fit will be a decent enough trick.

Bloke is one of the worst players available for getting injured
    Connor Wickham released by PNE - could be nice cover for Stockley on a deal until the end of the season. 

Also true 
  • Options
    MattF said:
    This reads as "we won't be signing a striker, as we have another academy prospect we can chuck in too early"

Learnt nothing from having Davison as our replacement for Chuks.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2022
    Maybe Jon Fortune's agency has run out of signable players. 

A hint of truth in that maybe, we know the boss doesn't like agents and have heard countless tales of utilising Gallen and Sandy Jr's contacts.

Preferred supplier you could say.
  • Options

We do seem to sign a lot of former Palace players with injury issues, so he'd fit right in. Even ignoring Watson who's just slow rather than injury prone, we've had

Williams
    Ledley
    Inniss
    Souare
  • Options
    Simon Jordan has just said that Defoe could come to Charlton because of his relationship with Jacko. 
  • Options
    I wonder if "the budget" is the problem. (Just me speculating)
    I get  we don't want to pay over the odds and we want to grow sustainably.
    But we need quality and maybe we need to push the boat a little.
    Suspect the budget was largely spent (wasted?) on Stockley and Kirk fees along with the high salaries the likes of Watson, Gunter, Arter etc
  • Options
    Definitely spent enough, just spent it badly. Personally, think we are paying for the window under ESI & TS last summer which has caused the problems.

Balance of the squad is ridiculous. Almost 9 players who can play centre back now. Almost 20 matches left to the season. How many matches do we expect Gunter or Watson to start between now and the end of the season? At most maybe 1 or 2. The time has come to be ruthless by TS, but will need a lot of planning to be successful if we aren’t going to throw silly money at it.

• Options
    I wonder if "the budget" is the problem. (Just me speculating)
    I get  we don't want to pay over the odds and we want to grow sustainably.
    But we need quality and maybe we need to push the boat a little.
    Suspect the budget was largely spent (wasted?) on Stockley and Kirk fees along with the high salaries the likes of Watson, Gunter, Arter etc
    Wouldn't be surprised if the outlay was over £2m in the summer once you include loan fees. Terminating Schwartz with a year left to run wouldn't have been cheap either. 
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Simon Jordan has just said that Defoe could come to Charlton because of his relationship with Jacko. 
    That could be a nice little boost, if only till the end of the season
  • Options
    Richard J said:

From their Spurs days?
  • Options
    Interesting to think that for the play off winning squad of 2019 we managed to loan in Bielik & Cullen from Premier League clubs. One was then sold for £12m (probably a tad overpriced) and the other for less than £1m (a steal). Whereas this season we are loaning in players like Lee & Arter. 

Chalk & Cheese.
    Spot on.  They are the benchmark.

Croydon makes a good point about Bowyer’s pull however.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Swisdom said:
    reposted .. 

I agree to an extent but there is loads of property in Kent (Maidstone way) that is much better value for money but still close enough to London and its environs.

I am not convinced players think about these kinds of things too much
    This. How much is Kirk on, £3k a week? He can buy here, pay the mortgage for 4 years, sell with equity and by somewhere nice in Crewe when he retires. his forever home!
  • Options
    That would be a good signing imo. But fitness again the question
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Just me or is anyone else not fussed if we do or don’t sign anyone?
    Season’s gone, rebuild should happen in the summer with planning now so make the signings we want in the first few weeks.
    Knowing us, we’ll sign our top summer targets now and they’ll all suffer hip/toe/ear injuries ruling them out til 2026. 
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited January 2022
    Richard J said:

From their Spurs days?
    Yes, basically said it would be a good fit, back in London, he could do a job even at 39 in league one and it could be a possible route into coaching
  • Options
    we’re not getting anyone decent same old January transfer just stay up this season ship out all the shit players and we have a lot and start next season . Why are we so bad away from home.
  • Options
    If Defoe came and was like Jimmy Floyd-Hasselbaink he would get the worst treatment of any Charlton player.  He would have to put lots of effort in and score goals, at 39 he would struggle to achieve much. He is Judas and unless he came and was wonderful he always will be.