Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chuks Aneke - speculation re 2023/24 season (p60)

Comments

• Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    Charlton and Sandgaard in particular can't ever win with loads of keyboard worriers on here
    Yes Chuks fancied his chances at the higher level.  Brum took him on at least partly cos he was relatively cheap, they're broke don't forget.  Despite Brum's shabby season, Chuks has barely featured, even for a manager that knows him well and used him as much as he could for us.
    For my 2pworth, using up a squad place on a 28y.o. lump who's never got his fitness up to scratch, even for 3rd division football, looks like a foolishly risky strategy.  Against that we have to concede that IF you can get him on the pitch, as a sub, his impact and goalscoring record is worth having.  I never saw him put in any sort of performance when starting games, which is a major worry when our chief striker is out indefinitely.  Awkward timing when the gaffer is singing Mason Burstow's praises in the press.  Wednesday night our only attacking option on the bench was MB, all the while Leko was stinking the place up Jacko's hands were tied.  Chuks could have been the man for the moment Wednesday night, but we'd hope those situations only arose once or twice a season.
    I hope Chuks makes me eat my words by starting 20 games and hitting double figures in goals by May.  Breath not held.
    Oh yeah
    one more thing
    WIOTOS
    and there it is:
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/61e163c21af91/done-deal-chuks-aneke-is-back
    From that article:

'The 28-year-old trained with the men’s first team on Friday morning and will be available for Saturday’s trip to Cheltenham.'

Do they sometimes train with the women / Ladies team then ?!!  
    :D 
  • Options
    Welcome back Chuks, why did you desert us in the first place...now a nice hat trick Saturday... B)
  • Options
    Odds on Aneke getting sent off against Cheltenham and thus, becoming a villain again. 😖

Happy the big man is back. Pick up where you left off!!
  • Options
    This isn't a miracle cure signing that will make all the problems go away. There's definitely more business we need to do and the squad needs work...

BUT

As hopefully the first signing of several, I'm genuinely pleased to see him back. 
  • Options
    Shame he can’t play longer than half an hour of football but he’s the best option coming off the bench that you could wish to have in this league
  • Options
    Is he eligible tomorrow do we know 
  • Options
    Is he eligible tomorrow do we know 

Yes he is
  • Options
    That's certainly perked up my anticipation for the Cheltenham game tomorrow.

I do worry about his endurance, but as a player, he's excellent at this level. 3.5 years is a big commitment too, considering the 2 year deals he previously had with us and at Brum. The security of a longer contract was one of the reasons he, I imagine, took a pay cut to come back.

The limp performance on Wednesday concentrated a few minds at the club I imagine...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Superb. Straight back into the squad for tomorrow surely.
  • Options
    Thats a long contract, the spine of the team is a lot stronger now with the addition of Chuks 
  • Options
    Welcome back Chuks.

Fingers crossed it works out!
  • Options
    I think Jacko being the manager also helped his decision. Looking forward to watching him play. Most defenders at this level have no idea how to play against him.
  • Options

I do worry about his endurance, but as a player, he's excellent at this level. 3.5 years is a big commitment too, considering the 2 year deals he previously had with us and at Brum. The security of a longer contract was one of the reasons he, I imagine, took a pay cut to come back.

The limp performance on Wednesday concentrated a few minds at the club I imagine...
    That would be interesting to learn i.e. was it happening quietly under the radar anyway or did we up our offer/terms as a consequence?
  • Options

he probably did take a pay cut to come back but probably a pay rise compared to last year.  He should have a nice signing on fee from the birmingham move and they could be paying some of his wages still or paid him off as he was under contract (last comment based on football manager so might not be accurate).
  • Options

That would be interesting to learn i.e. was it happening quietly under the radar anyway or did we up our offer/terms as a consequence?
    Trying to get him in December on loan apparently.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Personally i love Chuks, he was probably my favourite player last season so i'm happy to see him back as it strengthens the squad.

On the flip side of that though, i have to say that i think a 3.5 year deal for someone with his fitness issues is mental. However i guess he probably wouldn't have signed without a longer deal on offer.
    my thought exactly .. 
  • Options
    I’m not really focused on the financials as none of us will know the details.

But from a team / squad perspective, if it’s a permanent deal then is Chuks a player that will improve our squad with an eye to delivering a promotion season next year? 

Do people think the answer to that is yes?
    So I’ve thought a bit about my question above and at this time I think it’s undoubted that he will improve our squad. Bit due to his fitness record theres a nagging question mark if he’s the right man to build a side around thats aiming for promotion. 

Overall I’m happy to have him added to the squad. one things for sure, our forthcoming opponents would much rather NOT be playing against him, that I’m sure, and that’s a positive. 

• Options

They'd never admit it publicly, but I'd be amazed if they didn't really ramp up efforts to get him (or someone) in before Cheltenham as a result of our defeat, whereas if we had say won 1-0, might not have rushed it through
  • Options
    Personally i love Chuks, he was probably my favourite player last season so i'm happy to see him back as it strengthens the squad.

On the flip side of that though, i have to say that i think a 3.5 year deal for someone with his fitness issues is mental. However i guess he probably wouldn't have signed without a longer deal on offer.
    Agreed, I thought it would be 2.5 max. 
  • Options

my thought exactly .. 
    echo that.

he's had us over & pulled our pants down into the bargain. 
    Surely the person who offered the contract is the one who has had our pants down (if that proves the case). 
  • Options
    Well if his stint at Birmingham is anything to go by it is clear he is not a Championship striker so if promotion is our aim I assume he will be an impact sub if and when we get up during his 3.5 year contract. 
  • Options
    I’m not really focused on the financials as none of us will know the details.

But from a team / squad perspective, if it’s a permanent deal then is Chuks a player that will improve our squad with an eye to delivering a promotion season next year? 

Do people think the answer to that is yes?
    So I’ve thought a bit about my question above and at this time I think it’s undoubted that he will improve our squad. Bit due to his fitness record theres a nagging question mark if he’s the right man to build a side around thats aiming for promotion. 

Overall I’m happy to have him added to the squad. one things for sure, our forthcoming opponents would much rather NOT be playing against him, that I’m sure, and that’s a positive. 

But assuming we will "build the side around him" seems to be putting the cart before the horses.

I certainly would not want him to be the main striker for a whole season based on his fitness record etc, but a defence that's been roughed up by Stockley and chased Washington for 60-70 minutes or so is not going to want to deal with Aneke being bought on.

I think that this is seen primarily as a squad signing rather than to be the focal point of the squad, so I do agree that he's a benefit overall. 
  • Options
    Chuks Aneke: Charlton Athletic re-sign Birmingham City striker - BBC Sport .. brief Chuks statement saying what we expected him to say 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!