Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chuks Aneke - speculation re 2023/24 season (p60)

Comments

• Options
    Another ex player resigned. Beginning to seem a bit lazy.
  • Options
    Belv said:
    £300k for a player that left for nothing only 5 months ago.

What a fantastic piece of business.
    I've been out this morning and just seen this and nothing else.

I suspect I'm going to get whoosed here but are we really paying £300k for someone who left on a free transfer 7 months ago?

Jeez, he didn't leave on a free transfer.
    He was out of contract.
    Fair enough. I just used the wrong term as I know his contract was up and he was free to go elsewhere.

But I'm never going to agree with you that it is good business to let someone walk out the door and 7 months later, buy him back for £300k (if that is the true figure).

Would you be persuaded if, for example, the total cost of his return (transfer fee plus salary) were significantly less than we would have had to pay to keep him (salary plus salary uplift, plus signing-on fee)? 
  • Options
    Belv said:
    £300k for a player that left for nothing only 5 months ago.

What a fantastic piece of business.
    I've been out this morning and just seen this and nothing else.

I suspect I'm going to get whoosed here but are we really paying £300k for someone who left on a free transfer 7 months ago?

Jeez, he didn't leave on a free transfer.
    He was out of contract.
    Fair enough. I just used the wrong term as I know his contract was up and he was free to go elsewhere.

But I'm never going to agree with you that it is good business to let someone walk out the door and 7 months later, buy him back for £300k (if that is the true figure).

But we didn't let him walk out the door did we.
    True. He was probably injured and limped out.
  • Options
    Anyone know what his injury record has been like a Birmingham? If he’s been fit there then it a while since he was last injured. His minutes were limited but by the end of last season we seemed to have figured out how to keep him fit.

Having to manage his playing time isn’t ideal but he should be effective  he is on the pitch. Signing a player who could have his potential impact AND play 90 minutes Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday is a big ask in January.

Him plus a striker on loan, probably a young players from a Premier League club, would be decent in my opinion. If Davison were to head out on loan that would rebalance the squad of Strikers to better suit how Jacko wants to play. Or is Burstow now considered first team?

• Options
    Spot on Hudson-son-son
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    I’d have him back. Better option than Josh Davison 
    Chuks is more likely to score in 5 mins, than Josh is in the entire game.
    So true. We have not had any viable options off the bench, now we have a great one.
  • Options
    Also, so many people are saying why didn't we just offer him an extra 300k. Let's say over 2 years that's 3k a week. So the rest of the squad find out you've offered another player 3k a week, somebody who rarely plays 90 mins. Their wage demands go up (mainly referring to the incomings and the players we actually want to keep, as few as they are) and suddenly our wage bill has gone up a million a season. Is that good business?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2022
    I can't recall the last time I read so many daft comments in a thread.
    Chuks was out of contract, we offered him a new contract.
    He turned down the contract, choosing to return to The Championship, almost certainly for a big fat signing on fee and a bigger wage.

Chuks was the top L1 scorer last season on goals per minutes played basis.

Do we need a goal scorer?
    Would we like to have last season's top goal scorer in L1 based on minutes played?
    Do we want a proven goal scorer?
    Is Chuks more likely to score than Davison?
    Is the squad stronger with Chuks?

yes, yes ,yes, yes, yes.

I'll have whatever you're having.... B)
  • Options
    I don't see anyone acting like we released him, I see quite a few comments wondering why we didn't try and tie him down long before Brum came sniffing. 

Like how it points out in this article back in Feb, his importance and effectiveness, and, how Bowyer wanted to tie him down then.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/chuks-aneke-has-unique-abilities-its-vital-that-charlton-athletic-secure-former-arsenal-and-mk-striker-on-a-new-contract/

Like how we seem to be dragging our heels over Washington and Purringtons contracts this Jan, despite Jacko apparently wanting guarantees they'll get sorted while his own contract talks were on going.

Baffling how people don't understand this really 🤷🏻‍♂️
    But a manager (or in this case a journalist--both rightly) wanting to tie a player down and that player, who is at the top of the league in terms of quality (with other issues, of course), actually signing are two very different things. 
  • Options
    Does Aneke back solve all our problems? Probably not.

Is a squad that has Aneke in it stronger than one that doesn't?
    At this level, absolutely yes.

There's more business we NEED to do but getting Big Chuks back is definitely a good thing for me. 
  • Options
    Fella scored some great goals last year. He can turn a game in our favour. We need that. Always enjoyed watching him play.
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    Make you wonder what Gallen and Co. have been doing if Chuks and Defoe are the answer....no L2 strikers worth taking a punt on or other championship strikers not getting minutes ? 
    I have seen the Forest Green striker mentioned but in there head, he wont go nowhere until end of the season to aid there promotion push. 

Pretty much why people pay over the odds for player in January. 

Burnley fighting relegation for example....Chris Wood wasnt going for less than his £25mil release clause. I like him but he isnt worth that!
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    i think the thing eveybody is forgetting is that we now have a different manager to the one when Chucks left - he also plays a different system 
  • Options
    Was desperate for a game-changer, we've got a game changer.
    Not gonna dwell on the finer points.
  • Options
    He turned down the contract, choosing to return to The Championship, almost certainly for a big fat signing on fee and a bigger wage.

Would we like to have last season's top goal scorer in L1 based on minutes played?

Yes, yes, yes, yes ,yes.

Agreed, I think there was also an element at the end of last season that Adkins didn’t fancy him and Chuks didn’t feel wanted, which possibly influenced his decision to go to Birmingham. Clearly, Jackson and Bowyer both felt he offered something
    , when last he played in league one as they have both signed him since then.

This might also show that Thomas was going with transfer advice from Adkins and others no longer involved during the summer and is now listening to different voices. Maybe it is a risk with Chuks’ injury problems, but ever signing carries risk and I am glad Thomas seems prepared to roll the dice this window, when clearly their are improvements that are needed.
  • Options

Yes, yes, yes, yes ,yes.

Yes all those things are true.  That doesn't mean we managed the initial situation well they aren't mutually exclusive. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bit of a gamble fitness wise, but given how much we miss Stockley as the big player up top, Aneke is well worth a punt. £300k isn’t a lot of money. He’s a player that knows the club and won’t have problems settling. 
    To a club losing £10 million a year it is not an insignificant amount.

Don’t forget we will be in the premier league in 2 1/2 years time. 
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Doesn’t solve any striker problems we have. Had our pants pulled down with his salary too. 
    So most are saying we didn't offer him enough to stay, but now we're paying him too much.
    This message board is so negative at the moment.
    Negative voices are always louder.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    SDAddick said:
    I don't see anyone acting like we released him, I see quite a few comments wondering why we didn't try and tie him down long before Brum came sniffing. 

Like how it points out in this article back in Feb, his importance and effectiveness, and, how Bowyer wanted to tie him down then.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/chuks-aneke-has-unique-abilities-its-vital-that-charlton-athletic-secure-former-arsenal-and-mk-striker-on-a-new-contract/

Like how we seem to be dragging our heels over Washington and Purringtons contracts this Jan, despite Jacko apparently wanting guarantees they'll get sorted while his own contract talks were on going.

Baffling how people don't understand this really 🤷🏻‍♂️
    But a manager (or in this case a journalist--both rightly) wanting to tie a player down and that player, who is at the top of the league in terms of quality (with other issues, of course), actually signing are two very different things. 

Oh I know, it's that there wasn't an attempt throughout that time to offer him a contract, we chose to wait until the summer, and possibly paid the price as a result.

Chucks may have signed a new deal from December - Feb if we offered him one, he may not of, but, seemingly, we didn't even try, as a result he finished the season in a strong position and had champ clubs chasing him, we made keeping him hard for ourselves. That's the gutting thing.

At least he's (hopefully) back now.

We might find ourselves in the same situation with Purrington this summer.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    i think the thing eveybody is forgetting is that we now have a different manager to the one when Chucks left - he also plays a different system 
    As in he will be less effective this time round?!!
  • Options

Yes, yes, yes, yes ,yes.

Agreed, I think there was also an element at the end of last season that Adkins didn’t fancy him and Chuks didn’t feel wanted, which possibly influenced his decision to go to Birmingham. Clearly, Jackson and Bowyer both felt he offered something

This might also show that Thomas was going with transfer advice from Adkins and others no longer involved during the summer and is now listening to different voices. Maybe it is a risk with Chuks’ injury problems, but ever signing carries risk and I am glad Thomas seems prepared to roll the dice this window, when clearly their are improvements that are needed.

Adkins was saying how he wanted him and how much chucks wanted to stay back in June and was "confident" he'd re-sign though.

• Options
    Gribbo said:
    They must think we were born yesterday. We don't take on any old player and just hope for the best you know - 

......would you consider £575k for both?
    That would be a steal. One good season in League One and Leko would be worth a fortune 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    As in he will be less effective this time round?!!
    no, in that jackson may rate him and want to use him in a way that adkins didn't - i was amazed at how little Chucks played in that Adkins run in at the end of last season 
  • Options
    Willing to give Aneke and the club the benefit of the doubt on this one. Aneke barely kicked a ball during our championship relegation, prior to lockdown. When he did play he towards the end, he did okay. Probably believed he was good enough to step up to the level, rather than financial being the only important motive. 

It’s not Aneke fault that we didn’t replace him and that we decided to give his spot to Davidson. 
  • Options

Yes, yes, yes, yes ,yes.

Adkins was saying how he wanted him and how much chucks wanted to stay back in June and was "confident" he'd re-sign though.

‘Saying’ yes, and he would be unlikely to say that he was happy for our leading goal scorer to walk out the door for free as would not at the time have gone down well with the fans. I seem to recall he favoured Stockley on the pitch and was critical of Chuks’ aggressive approach in games when the previous manager had been more critical of those who did not display those qualities. It’s easy to see as a free agent how Aneke might have not felt too welcome in sticking around.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!